Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Previously in my lovely build threads: I had a brown S52 swapped e30. Life was good. Got a bug up my rear end to swap in a V8 - acquired a good M62b44. Tempted by friend, bought damaged S62b50. Picked up a beat up 318iS e30 as a daily. Brown car sat, and sat. Moved back to Nashville to finish school. Brown car had to be stored at farm 70 miles away from home.

Look at this poor thing. I've been sitting on the S62b50 I picked up for it with the intent of either following through with the swap after I graduate, land a job, and pay off my student loan debt. That'll be about two years from now realistically. I was getting tempted to sell the S62 stuff and throw money at the DD.

The good times:

Yeah, I was an idiot and bought an e82. I make really smart financial decisions but not when it comes to cars.

I blame the exhaust. It has a Berk resonated midsection and race axleback on it. It sounds so ridiculously good. I sold the 318iS daily I had to the friend who bought my S52 swap. Just in time too - one of his friends stuffed his project e30 into something hard and unforgiving, and now he has a straight body to stuff the 24v in. The N54 is an amazing power plant.

Anyway, I've been doing research at my university but this semester I started working at a Porsche / Euro / Exotic place doing wrenchwork. I haven't had an outlet to wrench for a while - too much time spent on school and too few places to do it. My brother shut down Track.One around August of last year, and everything car related felt like it's been on hold since then. He's actually working full time at this same shop, so he's in a pretty great position now, though.

Working there has been great. The owner is another road course enthusiast, and talking with him has been throwing wood in the fire. I had to get back on a track.

I dropped my plans to mod the e82, and called up the venerable RobertK. A few weeks later I was carting back a bunch of parts and a very special motor from Knoxville.

The original plan was to just find a normal 24v to stuff in and get the rest of the components needed to get the car back out on the track. I sold practically the entire drivetrain of the previous setup, so I had a decent amount to acquire. Trans, DS, diff, axles, exhaust, booster - all gone. I scored a ZF trans, 328i DS, and a 3.23 LSD from a local salvage yard for $165. Lucky find. I could have continued and grabbed pretty much everything I needed, until Robert told me about the motor he was getting in.

Now I have to do that motor justice, and that means M50tu pistons for 11.5 CR and some custom cams at minimum. I have some pretty powerful engine gas dynamics modelling and CFD software right now, so if I can get into the university's machine shop some cooooool things are going to happen!

The suspension is pretty much all set up, it's just getting motor related things together at this point. Five lug is happening, with e36 M3 calipers on all four corners. Driving the e82 on the Dragon made me realize just how poo poo the e30's brakes were.

Should be a lot of updates until I run out of money / into finals, but at least when that happens I can post the cool things I work on at the shop!

Like this!

Maybe without the shakey hands, though.

My build threads always sputtered out and died, but I was in a very lovely place then. Now I'm on happy pills and everything is great! :unsmith:

Note: S62b50 = 1998-2003 M5 5.0L 394bhp V8. M62b44 = 286bhp 4.4L V8 that went in tons of different things, but mostly 540i's and 740i's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Current parts list:

Engine:

M52b28
M50 Manifold
OBD2 M3 Exhaust

Drivetrain:

ZF SG320 5 speed
Rogue Engineering SSK w/ selector rod
328i driveshaft
3.25 LSD

Suspension:
AKG +12mm Subframe Bushings
Z3 1.9L Steering Rack
New Lemforder FCAs
Treehouse Eyeball Arms
Poly RTABs
GC Coilovers w/ Bilsteins
GC Camber Plates
318ti Rear Trailing Arms

Brakes

e36 M3 Calipers

Saftey / Misc

Bride Zeta III seat
Personal 360mm steering wheel
5 pt harness (freebie I need to go pick up!)

As you can see, I've still got a ways to go. No clutch and flywheel, no axles, still need a bunch of 5 lug parts and brake stuff. Roll bar is a big item I need too.

A MEGA EXPLODING
Oct 4, 2012

I may be an underachiever, but I do have a name!
Super nice ride, homie. Plannin' on doing anything to the body?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Party Alarm posted:

A few weeks later I was carting back a bunch of parts and a very special motor from Knoxville.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how is a generic pre-TU M52 a special engine? I mean, it's not a bad motor, but it's about as generic and unspecial as BMW engines get.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

sansteele posted:

Super nice ride, homie. Plannin' on doing anything to the body?

I want to grab some KA Motors ultra wide fender flares. That's about it for now - aero will come later.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how is a generic pre-TU M52 a special engine? I mean, it's not a bad motor, but it's about as generic and unspecial as BMW engines get.

That engine block is not painted

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 31, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Why no V8 anymore? I love your E30s and it makes me want to swap all of mine.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

Why no V8 anymore? I love your E30s and it makes me want to swap all of mine.

Superleggera man! Looks like he's going for light weight over raw power with that aluminum block M52

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Cool to see another Nashvillian on AI. If you ever need an extra hand let me know, I'm not as nearly as good with a wrench as you are, but I can lift things and open beers pretty good.

I think I know which shop you're at, and yes...pictures of the stuff that comes in there would be awesome. Nashville has a surprising amount of exotics around I've found, though they tend to not be shown off too much.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Party Alarm posted:

That engine block is not painted

Give me 15 minutes with a sandblaster and I can make any engine unpainted :haw:

Why the aluminum block out of a Z3? An M54 would make more power for the same weight. Plus They're a lot more common.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
M54 is electronic throttle which is a lot harder to swap over to an E30

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
M54 is a lot more expensive overall for the swap. I may be able to find a motor for a similar price but I still need to cough up the dough for a reflash to delete CAN and EWS. They also aren't the best track motors unless you want to toss an ATI Superdamper on one. They have vibration issues.

The b28 is square - 84x84mm, and can rev without shaking itself to death. It's a very simple motor with few things to go wrong.

No V8 because it was going to take too much time and money to do it right. That can wait until after graduation. I was actually excited about having less power - it could teach me a thing or two I figure. However, I'm shooting for the same power levels I had before with the S52 so :v:

Been researching 3d scanning options. I need a Kinect and a better laptop, STAT

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 31, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

First go at 3d scanning. That's an e30 cluster housing. Need more resolution!

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Hello E30 friend :)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Can this be the E30 thread?? :ohdear:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
YES

A clean red coupe parked next to my e82 when I was eating out just now. I should have taken a picture. Nice Ronals, e30 dude, wherever you are.

e: Rename thread title e30 Sperg Zone if you want, I'm down with this being an e30 thread

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I have Ronal LS's on my coupe, love them. Need to take the stupid stud kit off and get my hands on proper center caps though.

Thinking about doing minilites on the sedan, just need to work out the offsets and how wide I want to go.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I've got Ronals, too!

I need to get a picture of them on my father's car who I "lent" them to. He's going to keep them, I feel. I've been running 15'' Koseis on the red one and 16'' Team Dynamics on the silver one. Tire choice is annoying due to the wheel diameters.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
My friend agreed to sell me my old exhaust setup for a price I can squeeze it in at. I was running S50b32 Supersprint replica headers, a dual l2.5" straight pipe center section, and a UUC System U catback.

I mostly wanted the catback. I love Corsa mufflers.

Going to chop up the headers. I might be able to get the company to send me one of their new revised headers for free.

Ebay headers have poo poo collectors. Always will. Cheap headers pretty much always do. Need to get in there with a die grinder and make a velocity cone.

Found a pretty cool read on headers. Choice quote: "No anodized aluminum butt plugs"

This whole post is pretty AI, even if it's talking about Harley exhausts. Does that make it CA as gently caress? https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
As someone else who closed their shop, mind if I ask what happened to Track.One?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I don't really want to go into to much detail, but it was my brother's first attempt at a business, so naturally some hard learned lessons came his way. Mostly had to do with money problems and lack of organization. Big projects would end up taking way too long and there was not enough money to show for it, some investments were made in equipment that never really resulted in profit, and so on. A risky move to a place with much more expensive rent at a time when both my brother and his tech were pretty burnt out put the final nail in the coffin. He started the shop in 2009, so naturally the economy hurt things too.

Just before he shut his doors, a guy with a Hennessey Viper called up because he was referred by Hennessey Performance themselves when he asked where in Tennessee he could take it.

It seems like making it in the aftermarket performance market requires products, or specialty services like tuning or engine building.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Better days

e: Content!

Here's an image dump from work today.

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 4, 2014

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

GAH MY HEART. A 911's on my list one of these days.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Moxie Omen posted:

GAH MY HEART. A 911's on my list one of these days.

Especially that generation of 911 :swoon:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
'89. Sold for $45k and it still need a $6k valve job. Porsche prices are nuts right now.

Boss has a '91 Turbo he just acquired. Rare car!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So, anyone ever restore an old shift knob?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
More work photos

WHY CAN'T YOU BE 5x120?

Wheels wheels wheels wheels

I'm still waiting on a few things to make some progress. Need to ramp up my hours at work a bit - still have some money I need to spend to get what I need.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Who else have gods true chariot, an E30, on the forums? I know myself, Beach Bum, Party Alarm, Moxie Alarm, aventari....

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
My first car was a red -90 318 iS with a sunroof. Sold it to my brother-in-law who sadly crashed it one year later :( (he was ok). I keep checking ads for a e30 iS but I wonder if it's better to keep that car as nostalgia.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Party Alarm posted:

It seems like making it in the aftermarket performance market requires products, or specialty services like tuning or engine building.

Just selling parts is super cut throat, ask me how I know!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Lightbulb Out posted:

Who else have gods true chariot, an E30, on the forums? I know myself, Beach Bum, Party Alarm, Moxie Alarm, aventari....

I made the mistake of selling my old euro 325ix for peanuts when I was sure the ECU was dead. I miss that car, nothing has ever been as fun to drive in the snow.

I keep trying to find a solid e30 to daily, but such a thing doesn't really exist anymore around here.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Lightbulb Out posted:

I finally reglassed the bumper over Christmas, just waiting for it to warm up so I can respray it with some Imola.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

Yes, my E30 was pretty godly awesome, to me at least.

Unfortunately...

:( (click pic for the full album)

I will have another, some day. I had the full SpecE30 suspension on there, EVERYTHING worked (including the SI board!), Euro projector headlamps, poly motor/trans/suspension mounting hardware, 197k on the clock, fresh timing belt/waterpump, I had just gotten a spare rear subframe to do the adjuster welding... I had just bought the Volvo too, so the E30 was going to go into full weekend car mode. It was the last weekend before we got the house with the garage.

EDIT:

SuperDucky posted:

I finally reglassed the bumper over Christmas, just waiting for it to warm up so I can respray it with some Imola.

Pre-Facelift divingboard E30s for lyfe :c00l::respek::c00l:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 16, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Quote is not edit.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hi I'm stealing that first picture picture for my desktop background at work so I have something to motivate me to give a gently caress, that is basically what I want my car to look like except in alpine white.

Here is my crappy but lovable E30:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Beach Bum posted:

Pre-Facelift divingboard E30s for lyfe :c00l::respek::c00l:
Yes, gently caress the haters. I know this will cause a schism like that we were trying to avoid on the big BMW thread but big bumpers for lyfe :hfive:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lightbulb Out posted:

91 318is DD here.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, that's going in my wallpaper rotation. Makes me want an E30 even more :v:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Things have been kinda slow because I caught some sort of stomach flu. ill be headed down to Knoxville to pick up some parts soon. Gonna post some content in the morning, for some reason my phone seems to hate posting here

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

Had a Touring with an -is swap before my Subaru. Great car, but had to get something safer for the kids. E30 is still the best BMW for actual driving on roads. All the later stuff has too much weight, complexity, grip and power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saga posted:

Had a Touring with an -is swap before my Subaru. Great car, but had to get something safer for the kids. E30 is still the best BMW for actual driving on roads. All the later stuff has too much weight, complexity, grip and power.
Still have my 325i Touring, will restore/rebuild it some day.

• Locked thread