Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Foam Party :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

oh you son of a bitch

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Alabamarama posted:

Huntsville, AL (hence username) and its in the "AI For Sale" thread, bottom of pg. 5 if you are interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=5#post427520701 for anyone who is interested.

Looks like a decent E30.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Are we still posting cars on Ronals?

*I forgot to mention that on the way there, I hit 200,000 miles.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 4, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Finals suck.

:frogsiren: My brother is getting an e36 M3, and I'm going to be able to move the e30 to my house sometime over the summer! :frogsiren:

Also that BBS kit owns

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I miss my E36 M3 a lot, what a good car (that wasn't great).

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sometimes I think I want an e30. Then I realize I don't hate myself that much. It's like wanting a w8 powered VW. I'd much rather live vicariously through you guys. Also: Jesus loving Christ to that Jag. Are you kidding me?

Plus one on what everyone else is saying. My m42 swap wagon was brilliant and very cheap to run. The only issues the e30 has are generic old car ones, parts are cheap even from bmw and they are super easy to work on, especially the fours. Mine had a brake line coupling corrode out, a few old bits of rubber give up and I broke the sunroof winder handle off. After like 18 years of uk winters. Does that sound like any VAG product ever?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Hi E30 thread. I found out where the coolant leak on the new vert I got is ACTUALLY coming from :) :)

:(

Time to order some more poo poo!!!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Speaking of a coolant leak!

Time to pull off the intake manifold!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I haven't had an E30 for a few years now, but I'm a bit curious about replacing u-joints. I've never been able to find anything other than "BMW driveshafts are un-serviceable" and just had a shop machine out the holes for slightly bigger u-joints on my old 325iS. Is there somewhere you can find u-joints that fit without modification? For...future reference.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
E30 thread finally?

My 89 325i just rolled over 325k miles

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Trading some parts for these. Not sure if I'm going to run them or refinish them and sell them. I've been eyeing Style 32s

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Style 32s look best on the bigger cars, almost perfect on 8 series.

E30s just look right with BBS wheels.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I like style 32s but own two sets of style 5s.

Which look even better with the meshie cap. Timeless cars look better with mesh wheels for some reason. Can't wait, just gotta finish polishing the barrels on them so I can put then on the big coupe!

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I also want staggered style 32's for my E34 >:(

Met up with some people today:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'll be on 17's so I have easy access to wide track rubber. Lot of take offs I can get from work in that size too. Also I've got a set of e36 M3 calipers that will be going on all four corners, so I'll need the room.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Bumping the E30 thread.

Just got a garage, so hope to be working on them a little bit more. The red one needs the rear trailing arm bushings replaced. I have access the parts to convert the rear to 5-lug. I figure I should just do it all at once so I don't have to pull the subframe again. I'll need new wheels and tires for the back for now, but I think it could be a good stepping stone to getting 5 lug all the way around and then the M3 motor. Anyone else been doing some fun E30 stuff?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Lightbulb Out posted:

Anyone else been doing some fun E30 stuff?
No pictures because I'm currently out of town but my e30 hasn't moved in 3 weeks. My jbwelded oil pan gave up after 2 years and is seeping oil. Doesn't help that the vcg on #1 is pissing oil as well. :(

coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007
Don't you know how popular I am in real life?
I installed my rebuilt driveshaft/guibo/centre bearing and did the timing belt and water pump/thermostat plus belts on Saturday after work.

Timing belt tensioner was shot but fortunately I had a new one. I've never seen that kind of slack on a belt, let alone a cambelt. It also seems my home alternator rebuild did the job - its whisper quiet!

Do ya think this pump was on its way out too? Never showed a sign of overheating but I don't think it would have taken long. I'll need to flush the system a couple times after seeing the amount of crud in there.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
No progress from me yet. I'm working full time doing research at the university this summer, but it pays well so I should be able to get the M52b28 rebuilt soon.

Holy poo poo that water pump

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah you might want to flush and fill a few times. I'm guessing somebody used tap water with a lot of ions? Lucky that wheel didn't lose any fins.

Mine unfortunately hasn't moved since I relocated to the new shop 3 months ago. Still need to rinse off the spring pollen. Maybe I'll get that done today and take it for a spin.

Edit: did get it cleaned up and took the family for a ride.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 21, 2014

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

coolmancraig posted:

I installed my rebuilt driveshaft/guibo/centre bearing and did the timing belt and water pump/thermostat plus belts on Saturday after work.

Timing belt tensioner was shot but fortunately I had a new one. I've never seen that kind of slack on a belt, let alone a cambelt. It also seems my home alternator rebuild did the job - its whisper quiet!

Do ya think this pump was on its way out too? Never showed a sign of overheating but I don't think it would have taken long. I'll need to flush the system a couple times after seeing the amount of crud in there.

Oh you think that's a water pump

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
A shop I want.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been running my budget coilover set for a while now - $350 for the GC coilover kit with 450/600 rates, $73 for KYB Gas-a-Just Camaro rear shocks, and $100 for KYB AGX SW22 MR2 rear shocks used in the front from Amazon warehouse. $525 isn't bad. Love it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 21, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Finally got the car professionally detailed. It's nice to have it be one color again. The single stage was very oxidized.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

Finally got the car professionally detailed. It's nice to have it be one color again. The single stage was very oxidized.

It looks fantastic!

How much did it cost you? I really need to do mine or get it done. It's 3 different shades of red now :(

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

charliemonster42 posted:

It looks fantastic!

How much did it cost you? I really need to do mine or get it done. It's 3 different shades of red now :(

It was $150, and he said that he didn't charge me enough. He also put on some sort of coating for free as well. The drivers side front fender(single stage) and the hood(dual stage) used to not match at all. As you can see, they're a lot better. If you get a lot of light on the car and look closely, you can still tell but it is WAY better.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Pulled the rod bearings and one of the main bearing caps yesterday in the M52b28.

It's a 130k mile engine, and has definitely been on a 15k oil change interval. You can see a lot of contamination on the bearing surfaces. Glad I decided to replace them!

I ordered the adapters to bolt e36/e46 hubs to the stock front spindles over the weekend as well.

Looks like I got a place to temporarily store the e30 much closer to home (and in a garage) so I can start working on it next month maybe! And the motor should finally make its way into the garage at home this weekend.

Track One is a thing again, I should post some pictures soon.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Track One is a thing again, I should post some pictures soon.
Good to hear, weren't you guys located somewhere in the South East? I know I've seen a couple cars driving around Knoxville with Track One stickers.

Regular Car Reviews recently posted their E30 video, mildly entertaining - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSgZGOCyYcY

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Yeah, south of Nashville. I studied at UT K for a while.

I JUST BOUGHT MORE PARTS!

Snagged two sets of Triumph Daytona 675 throttle bodies for 70 shipped.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you
This is very likely my own ignorance, but are E30's appreciating like crazy? I've been browsing local ads to see what some average prices are for beaters, looking at it as a project car, but every 325i is over $3k. It seems like the E36 has taken over the "cheap car for $1500"-level the E30 used to hold. Was hoping to someday swap in an S52 and make a "332" out of an 80's German box

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yes they are appreciating like crazy, and the double whammy is they pretty much all need a ton of work as well.

Even E36s are climbing. I recently checked my car on NADA and clean retail is over 8k and I'm pretty sure I recall it being closer to 3k last time I checked.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Party Alarm posted:

Yeah, south of Nashville. I studied at UT K for a while.

I JUST BOUGHT MORE PARTS!

Snagged two sets of Triumph Daytona 675 throttle bodies for 70 shipped.

Do these really work on the x5x motors? I've got a set left over from my 06 675 and I've also got a spare set for my 06 GSXR750.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
They have the same ID as the kit Jenvey sells for M50s.

Someone got a set working and driving in his M20 powered e30, too!

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

revmoo posted:

Yes they are appreciating like crazy, and the double whammy is they pretty much all need a ton of work as well.

Even E36s are climbing. I recently checked my car on NADA and clean retail is over 8k and I'm pretty sure I recall it being closer to 3k last time I checked.

And E46s are tanked. But it makes since, as the E46s are as old now as the E30s and E36s were when I was buying them cheap.

I assume everyone saw this in the other BMW thread:

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Cool e30, man! I drove an awd gc8 impreza, but sort of wanted to get an rwd e30 or miata (yes, because of 4chan/o/) for a while, especially in college. They look like fun project cars. I threw new shocks & struts in the gc8 but did not ever turbo it, which I wanted to do. She was a real beaut. I've heard that the e30 is the best ever for powerslides.. is that true??

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 11, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

A3th3r posted:

Cool e30, man! I drove an awd gc8 impreza, but sort of wanted to get an rwd e30 or miata (yes, because of 4chan/o/) for a while, especially in college. They look like fun project cars. I threw new shocks & struts in the gc8 but did not ever turbo it, which I wanted to do. She was a real beaut. I've heard that the e30 is the best ever for powerslides.. is that true??

E30's are very well balanced and very easy to control in a slide. In the wet or snow they will slide for as long as you want.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Just thought I'd mention that "hot chocolate superleggera e30" makes for a fantastic passphrase.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Finally had time and a nice weekend so I put some miles on the M3. Bad news is mice got into it while I was out of town at some point. Bundle of stuff (looks like shipping blanket material) in the trunk and while driving with the sunroof open small chunks of the yellow foam above the headliner were popping out. So that sucks.

Someday I'll remember to bring a real camera when I go for a drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I guess that makes it a write off at this point. I'll take it off your hands cheap.

Got my ghetto high comp pistons!

• Locked thread