Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Don't you have an entire spare M20 engine? eta crank/rods + is pistons and heads makes a decent little lump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
^^Most definitely this!

I6 cars sound amazing, and the m42 is a buzzy, finicky power plant. If it's an m10, it'll just be slow, and almost bulletproof.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like my M42 for what it is. It's not quick but it's got enough power for the street and it's reliable. Only downsides I have for it are that because it's got the 88 pin ECU there isn't an official PNP Megasquirt kit and there isn't a company currently selling a plug and play MS kit (there used to be two). Also, the V-Belt setup means it's a pain in the rear end to put a SC on the car. I feel like the car (at least mine, the way it's set up) suits a highly strung i4 or i6 like the F20C or S50B30.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 12, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGfTi1ymCw

Someone made a video for the shop.

Ugh I wanna drive the GT but I know I will never get a chance.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
gently caress you Baltimore boundary layer separation!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

rscott posted:

Don't you have an entire spare M20 engine? eta crank/rods + is pistons and heads makes a decent little lump

I have several M20's but if I'm going to bother with a swap or building a motor I have an S52 that would be going in. This week looks like crap so hopefully I can find time this weekend to go take a look at both.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

BlackMK4 posted:

PNP Megasquirt

Aren't you in Phoenix? We could make an MS harness in a weekend if we really really really work hard at it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Bought my '91 325ix last month, single owner, 135k on it, great condition. It's in the shop getting the timing belt, water pump, and voltage regulator swapped right now. Next week I load up all my possessions into it and drive it 1,000 miles to LA (from the OR/WA border). :ohdear:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

Aren't you in Phoenix? We could make an MS harness in a weekend if we really really really work hard at it.

Yeah, Scottsdale. I want a PNP kit so I can pop the stock ECU back in without an issue while I work out the bugs tuning. Have you run MS before?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Style 32s and one of the rear hubs I need gets here monday. Front hubs come tomorrow. Flares are still being made sadly.

About to go outside and 3D scan dis car

doogle
May 24, 2003

mafoose posted:

Can't you just make a jumper harness that converts the stock wiring harness to the megasquirt connectors? (Like this but for megasquirt)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, Scottsdale. I want a PNP kit so I can pop the stock ECU back in without an issue while I work out the bugs tuning. Have you run MS before?

Not on an m42 car.
I've done over 20 installs on various makes and models. Right now at home I have my Volvo 242 ms'd as well as my dad's turbo 76 280z. There's another 6 local cars running either my harnesses or my tunes in AZ.
Doing my 635csi this winter, and hopefully an ITB N/A build on the integra I just got.

doogle posted:

Can't you just make a jumper harness that converts the stock wiring harness to the megasquirt connectors? (Like this but for megasquirt)

Jumper harness only work on very specific setups. MS activates things by grounding them, where as VTEC solenoids get +12v from the ecu, or how many Nissan's have +12v at the injectors regardless of key position (even off), which can damage the MS ecu.

This is why the diypnp and PNP setups usually have a special board to handle relaying power or inverting signals/drivers.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Oooooo purdy!

What're you using for a 3D scanning setup?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Kinect v1 and FARO Scenect

e:

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 14, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is so cool. It's like art.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

This is so awesome!

Has the technology gotten to the point where it is pretty easy to deal with the scanner's data? Another guy and I gave this a shot about 4-5 years ago but the conversion from point cloud to mesh, with a reasonable amount of accuracy in a low cost setup was just not there.

Are you using it for engine mockup? We wanted it for exhaust manifold design in a couple of 1uz swapped ae86's. We never made it that far though.

Speaking of accuracy/precision, what tolerance does it have? At another shop, I was picking up the front of engines with a faro arm knock off to design supercharger bracketry. Is this accurate enough for this?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If that's optical I'm not 100% sure on the accuracy but the laser Faro scanner we have is accurate out to about .010" @ 15 feet or so IIRC and the precision gets smaller as you move closer, our arms are somewhere like .0001 in an 8 foot cubic space

we use verisurf to do our builds and poo poo

e: this is my lab

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 14, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
A guy at work was talking about one of these kinect setups, pretty neat to see it in work.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
It's not extremely accurate - no where near a laser scanner - and it's a bit of work to get the data into something useful. Makes for good reference points though. I wouldn't try to mock up a part with it, but I do plan on using it for exhaust and intake design re: space constraints.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is the kinect driver some kind of home brew that's specific to the metrology software you're using? Wonder if I could do a build with one and test the accuracy, I've got enough standards I could use, not exactly sure how you would align it properly though

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Is the kinect driver some kind of home brew that's specific to the metrology software you're using? Wonder if I could do a build with one and test the accuracy, I've got enough standards I could use, not exactly sure how you would align it properly though

I believe it's a Microsoft driver, actually. They're usable on the PC. I'm curious if the Kinect V2 has support, yet.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 15, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGfTi1ymCw

Some dudes made a video for my brother's shop. Not pictured: my brother. That's the shop's resident narcoleptic, Kyle

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I know it's not an e30 but how bad of an idea is an e34 535i 5 speed with 240k miles?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A very good idea if there's records of maintenance, M30s are tanks of engines even more so than M20s since they're timing chain driven

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Car in question. Not sure what I would do with it.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4761128927.html

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

crutt posted:

Car in question. Not sure what I would do with it.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4761128927.html

I replied back in the BMW thread... But god drat that car looks to be in nice shape. The only big issue on the M30 is the banjo bolts for the oil feed. Over tighten them and they strip out and starve the top end of oil. Otherwise all the issues are well documented and are easy to wrench on. Its the "big block" of BMW 6 bangers and its a pig on fuel is the only downside really. Even if it had the auto it would be a good car, as they are bullet proof too. 5ers of that era can turn 450k with just routine service.

If it was closer I would purchase it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
if i had $2k sitting around i'd drive down there with a buddy and get it myself, besides the hail damage the thing looks to be in excellent shape

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Went and looked at the 318is today. It's at a shop now so one of the guys there showed it and told me what they know, owner was busy. Pictures didn't show how bad the paint is. Not sure if it's been resprayed already or factory clearcoat but it's peeling all over and looks like poo poo. Mechanically it seems good, didn't find any rust and it sounds good. Waiting on the guy to get back to me for a test drive. So we'll see.

Found the listing where he bought it - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=330561

If I buy it I'll either wrap or plasti-dip it so it looks a little better. Also thinking about dropping the E21 off at the shop to have them put in all the suspension, bushings, 5-speed and other stuff. Just don't have the time to tear into it right now and want to start driving it. Not sure if it will be 318is OR 320i or it will be both...need to see how much he'll come down on price.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

I WAS BUSY TONIGHT

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Some machining required.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

crutt posted:

I know it's not an e30 but how bad of an idea is an e34 535i 5 speed with 240k miles?

I have one. It's nice, comfortable, has modest power, but it's not an E30.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What calipers are those?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like E36 M3 front calipers to me, also his assembly lists them as that.

Test driving 318is Thursday night I think.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Yep, all on an e30 spindle

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Smallest wheel to clear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
So when can I order the parts for my car?

• Locked thread