Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
16's are the smallest and not all 16s will clear from what I've read - whatever clears on an e36 m3 clears here.

I will definitely make a production run if there is interest :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Aren't E30s still four bolt? How are you running a five-bolt rotor in there?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Look closely at the previous pictures :ssh:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So you can run 5 bolt hubs on the E30 spindles with what you're designing? It'll be nice to be able to swap in bigger brakes without screwing up the suspension geometry

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
No, someone on the forums is selling a sleeve adapter to run e36/e46 hubs on e30 spindles. I am making brackets to run e36 M3 brakes with that setup

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh cool!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Style 32s got in. Gonna throw the two 275's I have sitting around on them sometime this week and see how they sit on the car. Still waiting on my flares. This car is gonna look mean as gently caress.

I'm thinking Volk Racing Magnesium Blue on the wheels :D

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
That 535i sold in like 2 days. Welp.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
This thread in combination with an S50 and 5 lug parts on the shelf at my friends shop is really really really difficult.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Seems like an easy decision to me

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have to buy a 3rd E30 first.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

I have to buy a 3rd E30 first.

You say that like it's a bad thing or something. One can never have enough E30s.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

HotCanadianChick posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing or something. One can never have enough E30s.

It's a little thing I call priorities. Third E30, then S50/5lug.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Who's 87 is that, gently caress that's a pretty car

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Who's 87 is that, gently caress that's a pretty car

My dads. Less than 100k, my Ronal LS', old man owned.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Test driving 318is Thursday night I think.

Test drove it this morning. While it drives good it has a TON of little issues that would add up quickly. Made them an offer but they feel the car is worth 5k which seems pretty drat high. So no new beater E30 for me this weekend.

First time driving a 318 and that's a fun little engine. More torque than I expected and honestly feels fairly similar to the S14.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
This is unrelated to e30s, but Speedhunter's Scion FR-S won some Scion Tuner Challenge.... Parts I designed for Chase Bays are on that car. This is so awesome!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone object to me dumping E21 content in here? I don't feel like making my own thread and it would make more sense here then the general BMW thread...those guys and their NEW cars.

Planned on working on it tonight but got tied up on some work related crap so I'm just going to wait until I have the full day tomorrow. Will be going through pretty much everything.

Party Alarm posted:

This is unrelated to e30s, but Speedhunter's Scion FR-S won some Scion Tuner Challenge.... Parts I designed for Chase Bays are on that car. This is so awesome!
Very cool

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Yes please, I love e21s!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

I don't feel like making my own thread and it would make more sense here then the general BMW thread...those guys and their NEW cars.

Most of the people in that thread are driving 10+ year old E36s/E46s/E39s, very few of the posters in there own 'new' (F- chassis) BMWs. I'll read it no matter where you post it though. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Party Alarm posted:

Fantastic work, dude. I just found out about Chase Bays yesterday when I had to look up some Sumitomo wiring connectors for a beat up old Subaru. Pretty neat set of stuff there. I can see myself spending more money there when I start building custom garbage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Made some progress on the E21. Sadly you'll have to put up with snapchat images and only the ones I remembered to save. I may take some real pictures next time.

Tuesday night I rearranged the garage to move the E21 to center then put it up on jack stands in preparation for the holiday weekend. Planned on getting started earlier but didn't get garage time until yesterday and more today. Pictures are somewhat in order other than some random stuff at the beginning.

Big box of bushings from Eurometric included a bunch of stickers which is awesome.

Goofy E21 control arm from Eurometric, he sends these ready to bold in.

Original Clymer manual for the E21

First step I thought I would pull the drums, disassemble the rear end and drop everything.

I thought wrong - got these out this evening with BFH

Moved up front and tossed the engine support bar on in preparation for dropping the front subframe

Front subframe dropped - then I put it back on because fighting old hardware while that thing is flopping around sucks

Some old brakes - I'm thinking of doing the Volvo caliper upgrade

Front mostly torn down - tie rods and control arm are stuck on both side

Prepping to drop the driveshaft - still stuck on this end

Guibo is in excellent condition and the hardware looked new - need to check records

Removing half shafts - lots of stinky fluid

Those done - prepping for trailing arms but ended up pulling shocks first

End of the day today - front subframe out, rear shocks out and all bolts loose ready to drop rear subframe

Plan for tomorrow is get the stupid driveshaft separated from the diff then drop the rear subframe. Then pull the steering rack off the front subframe so I can start cleaning that up. Need to figure out how to get the struts un-stuck from things. Might start working on getting the old bushings out. I'm seriously considering running out and buying a large compressor and some air tools before I start tomorrow.

Thanks to black Friday specials I had a last minute change of mind for the suspension, there's a big expensive box of goodies that should be here in a week or so.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Glad I'm not the only one who leaves all my tools laying around like that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

AncientTV posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who leaves all my tools laying around like that.

Bachelor life! Usually I'd clean up but when I'm going to be right back at it the next morning I don't bother. Once I drop the rear sub and get everything separated today I'll clean up some stuff so it's not a complete disaster while I'm waiting for parts.

Who wants to guess how many orders are going to be placed for stupid miscellaneous hardware? Haven't placed an order yet but I should really start a list...

Love to contrast in that shot. I'm throwing how much money at the car yet I'm working out of a Sears all-in-one toolkit I bought years ago using hand tools. The drill isn't even an impact and has poo poo for torque. Priorities man.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 29, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

E21 Update #2

Started by pulling out the trailing arms - still can't get the stupid swaybar point out

Then dropped the diff after fighting to get the driveshaft off for 20 minutes

Rear subframe dropped out nicely and didn't hang up at all...I'm amazed

Old vs new subframe bushings - like how the mount detaches from the subframe

Pulled the steering rack off the front subframe

Need to load everything up in the VW and drop it off at the local E30 shop in a couple hours. I'm going to have them remove the old bushings and press in the new ones, I don't have a torch or press. Also going to have them tear down the front struts (for core charge return) and detach them from the control arms and tie rods. Might have them do some general cleanup of the stuff I drop off as well.

Rest of the weekend will be spent cleaning up the subframes, diff and other parts I'm going to reuse. Lots of degreaser will be used, this car had some long term leaks from the look of things.

I need to take a closer look at my front swaybar, it looks close but slightly different from the new one I have. It's listed as fitting 77-83 but I'm not so sure. If it won't fit I need to change the spring rates I ordered before everything ships.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm, didn't know you guys were working with Eric for detailing. Great guy, did the M3 right after I brought it home.

E21 progress is slow at the moment. Between waiting on parts and going away for the holidays there's not much to report. 63lb of suspension goodies shipped this morning and should be waiting for me when I get back from vacation. Massive order of bearings, calipers, rotors and brake stuff is arriving today. Looking at upgrading the master cylinder to possibly E12 to go with the large calipers in front and calipers (instead of drums) in the rear.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Eric is awesome. I really need to have him work on my e82. It's a mess. JET BLACK :argh:

My fender flares are here.....

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
M20 timing belt diy. Easier/just as/harder as e36 vanos stuff? I really don't need to do it, the current one has <15k on it, put on by PO when he swapped the m20 about 3 years ago. Just have gdcs, with exception of thermostat and pump, out to yank the pan and replace it. I do have a tensioner and belt, as well as the cam and intermediate seals, on hand.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

SuperDucky posted:

M20 timing belt diy. Easier/just as/harder as e36 vanos stuff? I really don't need to do it, the current one has <15k on it, put on by PO when he swapped the m20 about 3 years ago. Just have gdcs, with exception of thermostat and pump, out to yank the pan and replace it. I do have a tensioner and belt, as well as the cam and intermediate seals, on hand.

I managed mine without too much trouble. You need a special thin wrench for the fan clutch but otherwise it's not too bad.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

boxen posted:

I managed mine without too much trouble. You need a special thin wrench for the fan clutch but otherwise it's not too bad.

Bicycle shop will have this. They use 'em for the cranks.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I have the usual e36 32mm fan wrench. Same?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

325is bronzit. Stock ride height, OEM basketweaves on 195-65-14. Need tires. Nobody local has anything, and the only thing I can find online decent is a kumho in 195-65. Can't find a 205-60 at all.

This is an extra pleasure vehicle. I could order the 195-65 online but not really a fan of running a tire I apparently could not replace if I drove out of town. What are my options here, if I buy new wheels what's not going to look goofy at stock ride height?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think I've decided on these 15x7 wheels which are on sale for $133 from bavauto, with a 205-55 Dunlop summer tire. They are hub centric which I prefer. Found a couple BBS style wheels on eBay which were supposedly also hub centric, but couldn't find much info on the manufacturer, so decided against them even though I prefer that style.

Any thoughts?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Get TRM C1s from Tire Rack. Should be a little cheaper per wheel, and will be MUCH lighter than those bayerns

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

13.8 vs 15.3 lbs. Unsprung weight I know, but negligible for my purposes. It would be a fair amount cheaper, tho. And the Beyern wheels are probably a bit fancy for a bronzit, even though I like them more.

$996 shipped for Beyern, plus mount/balance locally. $825 for trm c1 shipped ready to install. Yeah I'll probably go that way. Thanks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

I have the usual e36 32mm fan wrench. Same?

it's the same wrench iirc, and it's not a difficult job at all. might as well do the water pump too if you're doing the rest of the front of the engine

e: Time for some Christmas maintenance on the eta, try and chase down that stupid misfire issue after it rains. Gonna throw all this poo poo at it
code:
	Air Filter (from 9/85) Brand: Mann (1986 BMW 325es Base Coupe)
    [More Info] 	$8.00	1 	

Fuel Filter Brand: Mahle-Knecht, Brand: Mahle-Knecht
    [More Info] 	$14.25	1 	

Rocker Shaft Plug In Head (4 per car, sold individually), Brand: Victor Reinz
    [More Info] 	$1.00	4 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Ignition Coil, 325/e/es/i/is/iC/iX (1984-91), M3 (1987-91) Brand: Bosch
    [More Info] 	$80.25	1 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Ignition Wire Set Brand: Karlyn-STI
    [More Info] 	$86.50	1 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Spark Plug, Bosch WR-9-LS, 325/e/es (1984-87), Each Brand: Bosch
    [More Info] 	$6.50	6 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Ignition Rotor (Bolt-On Type), Brand: Bremi Brand: Bremi
    [More Info] 	$20.50	1 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Distributor Cap, Brand: Bremi Brand: Bremi
    [More Info] 	$54.75	1 	
Subtotal: $307.25
And the valve cover gasket i'm buying locally because gently caress paying $11.25 shipping for gasket, i'll get that poo poo at autozone and do the valves too while i'm in there

once all that's done i'll have replaced pretty much everything on the outside of the engine except for the rear main seal :unsmith:

then i just need to do the blower motor and the cluster and the ac and the brakes and get new seats and a new windshield and a new exhaust... :smithicide:

rscott fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 28, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Been having weird electrical issues since getting the car; finally the other day I was pulling out and noticed I was almost dying at idle, pulled back in, checked battery voltage while running... 12.5 and dropping. E30 adventure continues, going to replace my alternator this month, autozone has rebuilt in stock for $76. I also took out the performance chip the previous owner installed because apparently I can't trust california 91 octane to be 91 octane. To be honest, on my first trip to the canyons I didn't notice any oomph missing, still pulls very nicely at 3500rpm, and I ain't goin near redline, so who cares about the raised rev limit on the chip?

Got the Haynes manual and an electrical troubleshooting manual, job looks pretty easy, my only question mark is putting the belt back on, I'm going to need a specific tightener won't I?

Edit: Swapped in an AutoZone alternator, all appears to be right in the electrical world.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 4, 2015

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think the new wheels are pretty OK.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

angryrobots posted:

I think the new wheels are pretty OK.

Not bad, I might pick up a set of those for the E21 if I don't like how the Kosei K1's look on it. The dinky 13" wheels aren't going to clear the calipers I'm putting on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
They look good!

If I'm not sick as a dog still I'll be finishing my 5 lug conversion and tossing my style 32s on the car this weekend. Flares are going on too, finally.

• Locked thread