Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The riding season here lasts eight minutes, and all the roads are straight and flat. That's not gonna stop us though!

Here are some interesting roads:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...6201&dg=feature
http://lonewolfexpeditions.blogspot.com/p/trans-wisconsin-adventure-trail.html
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Illinois_89.html

Post here when you're going to ride, when you're done riding, when your ride needs help, or when you just feel like talking. Ride bieks erryday (November through March notwithstanding)!

e. :justpost:

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Speaking of the Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail, does anyone have a spare DRZ?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I just found this thread while doing a search for "beef drippings."

I'm going to ride every day until the inevitable March Snow. And April Snow.

And May Snow.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think we're just about out of the woods on this front.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Just under 10 hours! You never know.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Riding yesterday, rain today. Loving it!

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Reporting in.

Hopefully my year is less hosed up this go around and I actually hook up with you guys. This is my plan for May: http://www.421thesnake.com/

Beyond that I'm pretty well open and always down for a weekend jaunt.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

Hopefully my year is less hosed up this go around and I actually hook up with you guys. This is my plan for May: http://www.421thesnake.com/

Is it like a less popular Tail of the Dragon? You can almost smell the desperation.

quote:

421TheSnake.com is becoming the go to site for motorcyclist and sport cars. Every year the number of motor sport enthusiast are discovering northeastern Tennessee. This part of the state, along with Virgina and North Carolina, provides great scenic locations.

When visitors are driving to this part of the country they are always looking for places to eat, entertainment and accommodations. Your business and services are what makes this a busy vacation all year long year.

This website provides you the opportunity present you services and attrach business. By advertising on this site you can increase you profits.

Our 12 month advertising program presents your business location with a photo and brief description with a link to your website or email. Our 12 month program is $150.00. However, we have want to give an introductory offer of $99.

Looks like fun, though. If you want to support them, stay at the Iron Mountain Inn in Bristol, TN. That's where the whois information points.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 1, 2014

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I'm getting a WR250R in two weeks to keep my DL650 company :v:

Anyone want to trade something more road oriented for my DL? I've been looking at XB12Xs and they look like a lot of fun...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

XB12Xs and they look like a lot of fun...

They are a ton of fun. Torque for days. Super heavy, though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I'm getting a WR250R in two weeks to keep my DL650 company :v:

Anyone want to trade something more road oriented for my DL? I've been looking at XB12Xs and they look like a lot of fun...

I assure you, they're at least as much fun as you think they are. Their powerband is rather narrow though. You need to keep the RPM up to stop the bike from turning your insides to a smooth paste, but you can't rev to far because the rev limiter hits like a brick wall.

... they're insanely easy to carry the front wheel off a stoplight with...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Today I got caught in Obama-traffic, so I cut through an alley and hung out at the intersection of St. Clair and Illinois for like 20 minutes (my alternative was traffic and overheating -- gently caress that). It was cool watching the presidential armored-limo-truck speed by, and then being one of the first real people on lower Illinois.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can us Milwaukeeans play? There are plenty of good roads up this way, including the TWAT, which I do not have a spare DRZ for, just my regular DRZ. We should get a TWATride together this year, I've always wanted to do it

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can us Milwaukeeans play? There are plenty of good roads up this way, including the TWAT, which I do not have a spare DRZ for, just my regular DRZ. We should get a TWATride together this year, I've always wanted to do it

I reaaaly want to ride that too. I worry the Uly would be too heavy though.

Man_of_Teflon, what kind of tires do you have on that DL650?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I would love to do a TWAT ride as soon as it warms up a bit.

I have Battlewings on the DL right now. They're definitely street oriented, I would swap them out with TKC80s or Kenda Big Blocks (more likely since both wear fast and these are way cheaper) and maybe take off the front fender if I wanted to do anything offroad for real with it. I went out once on the Battlewings with the meetup.com group Chicago Dual Sport Riders on some muddy two track and struggled a bit with all the puddles and deep ruts... but I survived!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

I reaaaly want to ride that too. I worry the Uly would be too heavy though.

Man_of_Teflon, what kind of tires do you have on that DL650?

I think you'd be fine assuming it wasn't super muddy. Muddy trails will make everything without knobbies useless

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I think they have alternate routes for brief detours around the hardest spots too.

What time of the year would be best for a TWAT run?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So... it would be a good place and time to ride my WR250?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If I can budget for it, I might try to pick up some light-offroad Metzlers or something. The Pilot Road IIs are pretty bad at dirt.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

What time of the year would be best for a TWAT run?

Probably "the dry season" whenever that is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

If I can budget for it, I might try to pick up some light-offroad Metzlers or something. The Pilot Road IIs are pretty bad at dirt.

Probably "the dry season" whenever that is.

July/August

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

good news: got my new WR250R :)

bad news: i have now realized that i think the owner from ohio needs to have notarized the title for me to register it in IL :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Man_of_Teflon posted:

good news: got my new WR250R :)

bad news: i have now realized that i think the owner from ohio needs to have notarized the title for me to register it in IL :(

Getting it notarized just to sell seems like a lot of runaround even for the dmv. Are you sure about that?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

It's an Ohio title; if I was buying it in Ohio I'm 100% sure I would need it notarized. Not positive about since I'm buying it in Illinois... I thought I looked it up before and found I wouldn't have to worry (indeed I can't find a word about notarization in the IL Secretary of State website) but now I'm finding a couple people saying they were turned down in a similar situation and had to send the title back to the seller to get it notarized.

There's a big space on the title for notarization by the seller that is blank since I told him not to bother. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I try to register it!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Good luck / have fun. Worse case scenario, it'll be an excuse for you to ride to Ohio.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

No need for notarization! However, since nothing can go smoothly at a DMV, they did need trust paperwork since the older fellow I bought it from had it titled in the name of their family trust (no idea why). Had to spend an hour on the phone working to get his fax machine going so he could send over the paperwork.

Now all I need is a city sticker... this is going to be full price even though I'll need another new on in a month or two, isn't it :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

No need for notarization! However, since nothing can go smoothly at a DMV, they did need trust paperwork since the older fellow I bought it from had it titled in the name of their family trust (no idea why). Had to spend an hour on the phone working to get his fax machine going so he could send over the paperwork.

Now all I need is a city sticker... this is going to be full price even though I'll need another new on in a month or two, isn't it :(

Don't tell nomandy, but I've pretty much been putting off getting a city sticker until whenever the next year starts. I park my bike in a garage and very rarely street park, though.

e. I went ahead and shot an email off to the city asking when they change over to 2015.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 7, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The city got back to me:

"All of the current 2013-2014 city stickers will expire June 30,2014. The new city stickers will officially go on sale June 01,2014. This year will be the start of our year round city sticker sales which your city sticker expiration will be based on your state plate expiration for most sticker types."

So... neat?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I hate having to buy stickers for my vehicles. Didn't have to do that crap in central IL where I grew up, moved up here, and every town requires one. loving money grab. I realize it's only $40 or so each for the suburbs, and that gives me....the privilege to park in public parking lots and on the street?

Ignore me, I'm just getting mad on the internet.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My bike and car are registered in Elmhurst but kept in Chicago...I have stickers for neither.
Loophole? Luck? Who knows, its been like this for years.

I cannot wait to ride, I think Thursday will be my first of the year, super small: to work and then the 'scenic roads' back.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

My bike and car are registered in Elmhurst but kept in Chicago...I have stickers for neither.
Loophole? Luck? Who knows, its been like this for years.

It's luck. They will sock you with a $200 ticket if someone sees you parked in the same spot regularly, even if you have out of state plates. That said, I got away with it with my old car and NY plates for a couple years.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

It's luck. They will sock you with a $200 ticket if someone sees you parked in the same spot regularly, even if you have out of state plates. That said, I got away with it with my old car and NY plates for a couple years.

drat am I lucky. I'll look into it I guess. I've gotten parking tickets, parked without moving my car for 6 months (whoopsie!), and generally park within a 1-3 block radius for years...

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Anybody in the city want to get together for a maintenance day this weekend, maybe Saturday?

I have a bunch of crap I need to do to my new WR250R, including attempting my first tire change on my own. I live in Logan Square and have a big empty private parking lot... and a grill!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm down. What time, do you think?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

No plans, whenever really. Maybe noon? I have to run to Home Depot at some point to grab a 27mm socket to take apart my steering head so that I can grease the poo poo out of it.

e: I'll PM you the address, and anyone else who is interested in stopping by.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kick rear end. I'll PM you my number and will bring some grillable food.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Speaking of things happening tomorrow, Motoworks Chicago is doing a demo ride tomorrow at 08:30. I figure I'll go and try to ride a demo Multistrada.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat, I wish I wasn't so busy tomorrow. I need to sync my carbs and flush my coolant, and I should probably do some basic chain poo poo, and it seems like it would be more fun to do it with a beer and a burger.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

dooooooo iiiiiit!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Holy balls is it WINDY out there today. I was getting pushed left and right, especially over by O'Hare.

Also I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but MCC Motor Cycle Store (or whatever the hell it's called) over in Nowheresvill-a Park, is pretty great. The guys there are usually pretty friendly, (esp. James) and they have KTMs and Ducs and Triumphs. Oh, and MVs as well, including the new Dragster and the Rivale. Plus, every time I go there they offer me demo rides on various things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You missed out. We broke MoT's WR250 in new and exciting ways, and I learned the symptoms of vapor lock as we walked to the nearest gas station.

I've got Friday off, so I figured I'd go out for a little ride, maybe go see the Dick Tracy statue in Naperville. Anyone in?

• Locked thread