Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Patter Song posted:

Kind of disappointed you killed Amphisbaena first, you can use that Ankh Jewel on much more important bosses and just use one of the later Ankh Jewels on snake face there.

Also, any one of three areas could be considered "the second area," so I'll be interested to see where you go next.

Eh, there's a definite second zone since you need items from there to complete the next 2 areas. After the second area you can do whatever you want though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yah I mention it in the next video but there is some pretty serious sequence breaking you can do when you know where to go exactly, but I'm trying to avoid doing that. As such I'll be using each ankh jewel at the boss for that area unless something prevents me from doing so.

Should have the next episode up tomorrow.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Doublepost bestpost.

Episode 3 Youtube

This next area can also be solved without a guide, it's a touch more complicated but you can brute force a good amount of it as we'll see in the next video. My favorite part is that it starts to build the legend of La Mulana which we haven't seen much so far. Remember we're just here to find our dad, these mysterious ruins are just a backdrop.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

Doublepost bestpost.

Episode 3 Youtube

This next area can also be solved without a guide, it's a touch more complicated but you can brute force a good amount of it as we'll see in the next video. My favorite part is that it starts to build the legend of La Mulana which we haven't seen much so far. Remember we're just here to find our dad, these mysterious ruins are just a backdrop.

LA Mulana has a surprisingly deep plot and it's integrated in surprisingly skillful fashion into the puzzles.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Cromlechs in Japan? I thought they were a Celtic thing?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

He's eating rice with chopsticks, then patting his stomach on the pause screen.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tomb of the Giants has probably my favourite music in the game. Also, the pause screen animation is supposed to be Lameza eating curry, patting his belly, then falling asleep. That's what it's supposed to be at least.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Patter Song posted:

LA Mulana has a surprisingly deep plot and it's integrated in surprisingly skillful fashion into the puzzles.

This right here is what La Mulana is about.

You get dropped in the middle of an old-school ruins type dungeon, and you start solving puzzles. If you solve them without looking them up in a guide or brute forcing them, you are more or less forced to learn the story piece by piece to do so. You figure out the why before the how and then use the reason to figure out the path forward rather than have the solution there first and tell you the reason as some sort of duct taped on thing that feels forced. And then when you start learning the background to the ruins, it dawns on you.

The big puzzle of La Mulana is the story itself. Solving the puzzle of the story allows you to know how to win the game. All the little bits of puzzle that you figure out are pieces of a big jigsaw puzzle that give an outline of what you're missing. It's wonderful.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I looked up those exploding rats, following the link from the wikia to the Japanese wikipedia. Chrome offered to translate the page and I took it up on that.

Japanese Wikipedia on Kodama Rat posted:

As the name appearance mice or, Yamane beast similar to [1] [2] is close to body shape, reminiscent of dormouse hibernating rounded a spherical body, [3] .
It does not appear to exist, such as harm to human beings, but it encounters a man in the mountains, to inflate the body a moment and to stop and, the next moment, is allowed to burst their bodies along with the roar like guns, meat and internal organs raw people The spread around it properly [1] [2] (there is also a theory that sounds a popping sound and flying around without rupture [2] [4] ).
The action incredible this Kodama mouse, we stride mountain gods are afraid as a warning and anger, and left the game as soon as you meet this strangeness. There was also not take the prey even continue to hunting by force or even be affected by a disaster such as avalanche [1] [2] . And being able to perform the purification ceremony by cast a spell as "Nam A Brown Ken Sowaka" At home those who had been Tatara is, [1] .
According to the tradition during the stride, it is said seven stride of school that Kodama flow enters the mountain, their spirit has been the incarnation Kodama mouse by punishment of the god of the mountain [1] [2] .
There is also an alias for dormouse and "Kodama rat," but there is also a theory Yamane is an animal of real that true colors of Kodama rat phantom beast [5] , and straddles you've dug up dormouse during hibernation, We believe that there is a curse from the guilt, theory that it is assumed that led to this tradition has also been advocated [3] .

:shrug:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

SourceElement posted:

I looked up those exploding rats, following the link from the wikia to the Japanese wikipedia. Chrome offered to translate the page and I took it up on that. :shrug:

Uh, let's try a more manual translation. Caveat emptor: Japanese not very good, etc, so I only translated part of it and... well, you know. Anyway: "The kodama rat is a cryptid passed down among hunting communities in Kitaakita-gun, Akita. It's an animal that, as its name suggests [TN: "kodama" means "little ball"], resembles a house mouse or dormouse, giving the impression of a dormouse rolled up in a ball in the middle of hibernation. It does not appear to pose any danger to humans. When it encounters a person in the mountains, it suddenly freezes and then inflates, then explodes with a gunshot-like noise, scattering its flesh and internal organs around. Those hunting communities consider the creature's incredible behavior a warning from angered mountain gods, and immediately cease their hunt upon encountering it."

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Uh, let's try a more manual translation. Caveat emptor: Japanese not very good, etc, so I only translated part of it and... well, you know. Anyway: "The kodama rat is a cryptid passed down among hunting communities in Kitaakita-gun, Akita. It's an animal that, as its name suggests [TN: "kodama" means "little ball"], resembles a house mouse or dormouse, giving the impression of a dormouse rolled up in a ball in the middle of hibernation. It does not appear to pose any danger to humans. When it encounters a person in the mountains, it suddenly freezes and then inflates, then explodes with a gunshot-like noise, scattering its flesh and internal organs around. Those hunting communities consider the creature's incredible behavior a warning from angered mountain gods, and immediately cease their hunt upon encountering it."

So basically all those exploding rats are the ruin's way of saying :frogout:

And Lemeza just runs past them.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I beat La Mulana today!

Finally. I wanted to make sure I beat the final boss before this LP caught up to me.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Doublepost bestpost.

Episode 3 Youtube

I think you rendered something wrong, the new border seems to be scaled wrong relative to the actual video. Here's what it looks like on YouTube (top), compared to what I suppose it should look like: http://lpix.org/1648258/lamulana-border.jpg

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

unfair posted:

I think you rendered something wrong, the new border seems to be scaled wrong relative to the actual video. Here's what it looks like on YouTube (top), compared to what I suppose it should look like: http://lpix.org/1648258/lamulana-border.jpg

I don't make the border, that is in game. La mulana just does weird things when you change the resolution and I'm not going to stretch and crop the video to weird dimensions to eliminate the black space. I'll probably play with the resolution again for next video to see if I can't get the best thing I can get but the video is working as intended for now.

Again the border is in game, not an after effect from me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You can remove the black borders by using the ingame zoom options but they make the game a bit blurrier so meh. As for the side borders they're neat but Agent isn't using the best one.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Depends on what people want, I'm keeping the side borders because they're cool but I may be able to increase the game screen size at a loss of quality or leave it the same as it is in this video. Let me know what you want I guess, i don't even really see the black areas and I like the clearer picture myself.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Again the border is in game, not an after effect from me.

Ah right, I see it on the old ones now - it was just less top/bottom black space before. The only reason I mentioned it was that in YT windowed mode the recent video is significantly smaller and harder to see.

I just fired up the game and it's 640x480 default (or 1280x960 plus borders if you use Dot-by-Dot with a large resolution). Normally for YouTube I think you'd just want to crop it to 1280x960 and upload that and YT will make it 4:3 720p for you iirc.

Keeping the border is slightly more challenging since I don't know how YT will react to you feeding it an odd 16:9 resolution like 1706 or 1707x960. Tech support might know more about that. If the border is always the same (or at least rarely changes) then my general workflow (since you wanted to keep the border) would be to make a 16:9 PNG out of the border with a 1280x960 transparent section in the middle. Crop the video to fit in the transparent gap.

It seems like a lot of extra effort/testing to keep the border to me, although I'm not sure what editor you're using - in Adobe Premiere it's pretty easy to overlay a PNG.

unfair fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 8, 2014

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Oooh man, ancient astronaut conspiracy theories. :allears:

I could go all Chariots of the Gods but I'll just let Doctor Steel explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCUZPBjBosI

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

citybeatnik posted:

Oooh man, ancient astronaut conspiracy theories. :allears:

I could go all Chariots of the Gods but I'll just let Doctor Steel explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCUZPBjBosI

There should be a rule against bringing up Doctor Steel. It only causes heart break.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

unfair posted:

I just fired up the game and it's 640x480 default (or 1280x960 plus borders if you use Dot-by-Dot with a large resolution). Normally for YouTube I think you'd just want to crop it to 1280x960 and upload that and YT will make it 4:3 720p for you iirc.

Yes, this is correct and would work well for this game. Consider also that having the borders padding the video to 16:9 causes even more black bars, at the top and bottom of the screen, on anything taller than 16:9, like 16:10 and 4:3 screens.

jawbroken fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 8, 2014

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 4 - Youtube

This is the same recording session as the previous episode so the resolution hasn't changed yet though it should be better for episode 5+.

I actually really like this zone and the puzzles in it are clear enough if you look for the solution but can also be brute forced to some extent which is nice I guess.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is actually amazing. I did this area literally by trial and error, never tried to figure out which giant is which. Stuff like this really makes you realize there's more to La Mulana than sadistic design.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I tried La Mulana after a friend gifted it to me over Steam. I felt I was doing alright! Until I accidentally button mashed myself past properly reading that certain tablet in Tomb of the Giants, went 'wait, it said what?', read it again and then the bad times began.

Oh, I tasted bitter death, La Mulana. How I tasted it.

To be fair, the game was fun up until that point (and slightly past it, despite the grueling experience), and it was nice trying to figure out how to puzzle out (or brute force) things.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Sakit is my favourite boss, mostly for his boss music (did anyone mention yet that each boss has its own boss theme?). And as I said before, I did accidentally beat the game my first time at hard mode, but to be fair the original's hard mode isn't as difficult as it is in the HD remake, which killed me instantly when I checked to see what happens this time.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

This is actually amazing. I did this area literally by trial and error, never tried to figure out which giant is which. Stuff like this really makes you realize there's more to La Mulana than sadistic design.

Yep, that's my favorite part as well.

Every puzzle can be logically figured out if you can manage to follow the logic the developer lays down. That isn't always easy but it's usually at least somewhat sensical.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Mehuyael posted:

Sakit is my favourite boss, mostly for his boss music (did anyone mention yet that each boss has its own boss theme?). And as I said before, I did accidentally beat the game my first time at hard mode, but to be fair the original's hard mode isn't as difficult as it is in the HD remake, which killed me instantly when I checked to see what happens this time.

The original game has a hard mode?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Byde posted:

The original game has a hard mode?

Sort of? I don't recall it actually doing anything outside of the zone it was activated in.

Mehuyael posted:

Agreed. This whole game has pretty great music, but Giant's Rage (Sakit's theme) stands out to me in a big way.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Agent355 posted:

Yep, that's my favorite part as well.

Every puzzle can be logically figured out if you can manage to follow the logic the developer lays down. That isn't always easy but it's usually at least somewhat sensical.

Key word is usually. I'm super looking forward to you trying to piece together some of the later zones.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Sort of? I don't recall it actually doing anything outside of the zone it was activated in.

I'm pretty sure the original just made another head appear spitting out slime creatures.

Sakit was one boss that I actually thought became easier in the remake (most of them got a fair bit trickier, if only because they have invincibility frames now so you can't spam them to death as quickly as before).

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Sakit is my favourite boss, mostly for his boss music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRTLBfVHgbs

Giant's Rage is such a great boss theme. Sakit also always gives me so much trouble. I sequence break like crazy to get some useful stuff and he still ruins my poo poo so easily.

Anyway, the educational writeup will come tomorrow. I spent the last four days marathon watching through Game of Thrones in lieu of doing anything worthwhile.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Ciaphas posted:

Agreed. This whole game has pretty great music, but Giant's Rage (Sakit's theme) stands out to me in a big way.

There's only one boss theme that's better, but it's a loooooong ways off.

Sakit isn't terribly hard, but he hits like a truck full of trucks. Early on like this you have no margin for error.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
Sakit's tiny hitbox is the only thing that really makes him difficult. If you come back later in the game with a different weapon he's a complete joke. La-Mulana is really flexible in that way.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You can actually get said weapon before ever setting foot in the Mausoleum. If you've played the game before you can basically just go straight for it (and should) as soon as you get the grail.

This game is super broken in a fun way if you've got a good handle on what you actually need and where those things are, it's a lot of fun.

uPen fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 11, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I noticed having a few monsters where there weren't in the LP. I clearly recall one of those 'drains life constantly' monsters being in a place he shouldn't have been. Then when I played the game again without activating hard mode, he wasn't there. So there was a hard mode.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The original game definitely has a hard mode, too. It spawns Anubis enemies (the life-drainy guys) all over the stupid place, for one thing. I think the hard mode is more extensive in the remake, though... bosses are more aggressive, things have more health, more stuff like that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

According to wikipedia, Wondjina are cloud and rain spirits from Aboriginal mythology that helped to create and influence the landscape and its inhabitants. Lots of cave paintings depicting these beings have been found and almost all of them bear a rather strange resemblance to space aliens and NASA astronauts in full gear.

This site has all sorts of cool theories about ancient aliens and whatnot in Australia. Though it also mentions that some archaeologists claim that the "astronaut gear" bears a striking resemblance to early middle eastern seamen, and there are sites on the Internet that will gladly tell you about Pharaonic-era Egyptians being stranded in Australia.

Supposedly a "Gray" space alien

Astronaut in full gear

It's just a repeating background in the mid-level area of the Mausoleum, but I swear it's significant somehow. The overall theme for the Mausoleum, as you'll find, is ancient petroglyphs. Anyone have any ideas on if the structure resembles anything from an ancient civilization that has petroglyphs?

My first inclination was that it was depicting Angkor Wat, but the resemblance is only passing.

This wasn't found in the Mausoleum, but it was still shown briefly in the third video. So for my purposes it counts! It is oddly out of place for where it is found, as the Spring in the Sky has a wholly different theme. The design of the Celtic cross was originally found in Ireland, but has since spread out all over the world. Legend holds that Saint Patrick or Saint Declan used the design to help convert the Irish pagans to Catholicism.

I really like the intricate Celtic knot design inside the cross

Another out-of-place scan. The dolphins are pretty cool, and that's really about it. It's also fascinating that relatively shallow in the ruins you can run across never-before-seen carvings from an incredibly ancient civilization.

The Nazca Lines are some of the most famous petroglyphs in the world. They're found in the Nazca Desert in southern Peru. There are hundreds of them, and they are all incredibly large. The best way to view them is from the air, though you can stand on nearby hills for a pretty good view as well. Thanks to the stable climate in the desert, the petroglyphs have been preserved for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Though thanks to squatters in the area, they are beginning to deteriorate.

The first recorded sighting of the lines is from the conquistador Pedro Cieza de León. He was exploring and chronicling Peru in 1553 and mistook the ancient designs for trail markers. Except for a small mention in his book, the lines were left ignored by the world at large until they were re-discovered by a Peruvian archaeologist by the name of Toribio Mejia Xesspe, in 1927.

The Dolphin

The Hands

The Tree

I have no idea. I have searched and searched and nothing turns up an "Oyukanjou" cromlech in Akita, Japan. Shortening the name to "Oyu" gives some results, the first of which is a stock photography website, which is pretty telling. Honestly I'm at a loss here. This is a cromlech in Akita, Japan. It's not the Oyu, or Oyukanjou, or whatever cromlech though. At least not according to the photography blog I found the image on. By the way, if you go looking, avoid any photography blogs about cromlechs. The one I visited caused my browser to hang for almost two minutes while it loaded a lot of high res photography.

Anyway, a cromlech is a "prehistoric megalithic structure." It's an obsolete term, but typically refers to a circle of free-standing stone slabs. Sounds kinda familiar, huh? It also has a second meaning, one that the game is using. The best example is the Almendres Cromlech in Guadalupe, Portugal. The site is the largest existing group of structured menhirs in the Iberian peninsula. Menhir, by the way, is another term to describe this type of cromlech.

Confusing, innit?

If you enjoy lovely JRPGs, menhir is also the name of a type of enemy that are utter bastards to fight.

By the way, you should really click on this link. It's a super high definition (4288x2848) version of the above image. It's 7MB, so it might take a while to download on a slower connection, but it's incredibly cool and worth looking at!

Believe it or not, the Nebra Sky Disk is actually a real archaeological artifact! It was found in a site near Nebra, in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. Archaeologists believe it to be from around 1600 BC. Ever since being found, there has been contention as to whether or not the disk is real or not. As recently as 2005, there was a gentleman claiming (without ever having held the real thing) that the disk was a forgery. However, the artifact is now widely believed to be the genuine article, and presents some pretty fascinating looks into ancient Germanic astronomy and how accurate it really was.

It is the oldest known portable instrument to chart the passage of the heavens.

The real Nebra sky disk

A pretty cool image from 2004 showing what the various dots on the disk actually stand for

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I just remembered that the Stars-Moon-Sun puzzle room was a lot more annoying in the original. Instead of just moving things around you needed to jump on switches (I think) to make the 3 icons in the room change shape so that they all showed the same sign (stars, moon or sun). It was really annoying and I never found out how it's supposed to really work. I'd just brute force things until I got the icons I needed.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Mehuyael posted:

Oh yeah, I just remembered that the Stars-Moon-Sun puzzle room was a lot more annoying in the original. Instead of just moving things around you needed to jump on switches (I think) to make the 3 icons in the room change shape so that they all showed the same sign (stars, moon or sun). It was really annoying and I never found out how it's supposed to really work. I'd just brute force things until I got the icons I needed.

I watched the old LP of the original version (Deceased Crab!) a long time ago and am really enjoying seeing all the changes. I had thought that they just changed stuff graphics-wise, but noticing all the actual gameplay modifications is awesome. In the original, for example, Sakit doesn't even have his second form/stage. However, it seems like they removed one of his attacks in the remake - he would also walk over to the platform, extending his fist to it as a bridge (so there was another way besides climbing the chain arm). He also doesn't fall apart dramatically upon defeat in the original - he just sorta disappears.

I am really liking this LP! Deceased Crab's was great, but he definitely went for a more sequence-breaking / "done this before" approach - I love how you're showing the logic behind everything and sort of emulating a blind run.

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 11, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Anyone else find it funny that Sakit is basically an ancient Sentinel from the X-Men?

Also, finding it weird that you're going through each area and taking the boss on ASAP. Every other playthrough I've watched tackles the bosses right at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Anyone else find it funny that Sakit is basically an ancient Sentinel from the X-Men?

Also, finding it weird that you're going through each area and taking the boss on ASAP. Every other playthrough I've watched tackles the bosses right at the end.

That's because every other playthrough is done by a sissy. :colbert:

• Locked thread