Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

yah partly the sissy things, alot of the bosses are made easy by coming back when you already have all the strongest weapons. Thats not nearly as fun to watch.

The other part is this is supposed to look like how a new player goes through, new players kill bosses when they find them. Though technically you don't have to kill the bosses for a long time. A new player wouldn't know that though, and I'll explain exactly what killing the bosses does later when it's a great deal more obvious.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I did it! I beat Hell Temple! Looking forward to seeing you take it on, if you dare.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Speaking of that spoiler place, i'm going to to enjoying seeing where the hell the game puts the solutions for even unlocking it, let alone doing all the puzzles in there.

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013
Can I be another one to chip in and say that La-Mulana is one of my favourite games of all time? Looking forward to "that" place - the second time I played through the game, I tried to figure out where the puzzles were taking me, and as you say, it was much, much more enjoyable.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Updates ITT

Episode 5 - Youtube

For the next few episodes we won't be getting puzzles that are as interesting as the Giants puzzle, it's mostly of hitting mysterious objects actually, especially in the area after this one.

Of course the game is going to make up for that in a big way soon.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
That new scaled size is much easier on the eyes, thanks

It's kind of funny to me that they put silver 50c(?) coins in a game that only counts in gold coins. Also, that knife animation kind of reminds me of a butterfly knife when you spam it quickly.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
re: That kill 2 bats puzzle. You can actually kill both bats when you're jumping down from the room above if you're fast and that counts as solving the puzzle for when you come back up into the pyramid from below.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the Buer, the guy comes from a 15th century occult grimoire, where he's described as a centaur demon. He's also very pro-democracy, having the title of Hellish President. The whole multi-legged lion thing comes from an 18th century illustration by Luis de Breton, who did a series of pictures of demons that keep being using in various occultism related thingamajigs even today.
What I'm saying is while it's more likely to be a reference to Castlevania, it is entirely possible to run into this guy when you google demons or something.

Also it's a minor detail but maybe you should elaborate a bit on just how much of an annoying rear end in a top hat Xelpud is in this version; I honestly cannot fathom why they included the whole spam thing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 15, 2014

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding the Buer, the guy comes from a 15th century occult grimoire, where he's described as a centaur demon. He's also very pro-democracy, having the title of Hellish President. The whole multi-legged lion thing comes from an 18th century illustration by Luis de Breton, who did a series of pictures of demons that keep being using in various occultism related thingamajigs even today.
What I'm saying is while it's more likely to be a reference to Castlevania, it is entirely possible to run into this guy when you google demons or something.

Also it's a minor detail but maybe you should elaborate a bit on just how much of an annoying rear end in a top hat Xelpud is in this version; I honestly cannot fathom why they included the whole spam thing.

Oh yah I definitely didn't think it was something they cribbed from castlevania directly, more that people may recognize the enemy. Having seen it before in many castlevania games. Thats cool to know where it came from.

Xelpud is pretty much the worst thing, there is a reason I turned off the e-mail. When I talk to him at the end of the video I was just trying to guesstimate when the 'COME BACK TO TOWN I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO TELL YOU!' e-mail comes in so I could talk about how horrible he is.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

Xelpud is pretty much the worst thing, there is a reason I turned off the e-mail. When I talk to him at the end of the video I was just trying to guesstimate when the 'COME BACK TO TOWN I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO TELL YOU!' e-mail comes in so I could talk about how horrible he is.

I think that email happens right after you kill Amphisbaena, i.e. you're already past it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

I think that email happens right after you kill Amphisbaena, i.e. you're already past it.

Yeah, this is why I thought you skipped it on purpose. It's even better if you go into it like I did: fall for it and don't even have the loving grail.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

SimianNinja posted:

I am really liking this LP! Deceased Crab's was great, but he definitely went for a more sequence-breaking / "done this before" approach - I love how you're showing the logic behind everything and sort of emulating a blind run.

He tried doing it sort of half blind, it didn't go well.

In relation to the pause menu animation; Lemeza is eating some food from a tin, then he leans back to pick his teeth and then he goes to sleep.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Here's one interpretation of what the demons of the Key of Solomon look like.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh also I suspect that Xelpud's name backwards being Duplex is not a coincidence, though even knowing what happens in the game I can't see the relevance.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Duplex was one of the developers.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Green Intern posted:

Hands up if you thought it was going to be 72 anime girls.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's guaranteed to exist somewhere.
e: Yes, this is a hands up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just noticed this thread. One of my favorite games of all time, even if I had to use help to get through it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I know this doesn't ~really~ mean anything but I always found it interesting that Xelpud's name can be something of an anagram. If you go by pronunciation rather than spelling (zelpud) you can get puzzled. Or i guess technically puzled but it's pronounced the same.

La Mulana has me chasing shadows and making anagrams out of tapestries everywhere I go.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Congrats on getting farther then me.

I think I'll have to play this again, maybe this time meticulously saving every tablet in Notepad.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Ayup.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Agent355 posted:

I know this doesn't ~really~ mean anything but I always found it interesting that Xelpud's name can be something of an anagram. If you go by pronunciation rather than spelling (zelpud) you can get puzzled. Or i guess technically puzled but it's pronounced the same.

I'm not sure if you know or if this is common knowledge or what, but Elder Xelpud, Lemeza, and La-Mulana itself are named after the developers; Samieru, Naramura, and duplex. Xelpud is of course just straight up "duplex" backwards. Naramura backwards the Japanese way (by reversing syllables) is RaMuRaNa -> La-Mulana. The last one is a little harder to get, but Samieru reversed the same way is RuEMiSa; extend the "mi" and voice the "sa" and you get "Ruemiiza", which is the original Japanese name for Lemeza.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe you don't like the Endless Corridor. It has great music, entertainingly annoying puzzles and the best enemy (unless they got rid of the monster for the HD remake? I hope not).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Green Intern posted:

Those are some well done sketches of the Ars Goetia/Pseudomonarchia Daemonum Demons.

Both are grimoires detailing demons, their role in hell, the hours and methods of their summoning and what they would do after their summoning.

pretty metal.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually I'm fairly sure Buer showed up on a couple of metal album covers.
edit:

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 15, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mehuyael posted:

I can't believe you don't like the Endless Corridor. It has great music, entertainingly annoying puzzles and the best enemy (unless they got rid of the monster for the HD remake? I hope not).

Nah they're still in. I really like the endless corridor as well. It's straightforward (literally) and there's only one puzzle I don't really like which you can easily brute force if you want.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

it's not so much that I don't like it, more that I can't really do anything there aside from talking to the fairy queen right now. So it's kinda boring until later.

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013
The next temple is actually one of my favourites in the entire game but for one other. That thing the wiki says about that puzzle piece is pretty funny. (being cryptic because I'm not sure if you're doing that puzzle in the near future.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You wound me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mehuyael posted:

The best part about the Endless Corridor is when you work out what has happened to it; very clever. It'll be quite a long time before we do find out what exactly is going on in the Endless Corridor but something is very, very wrong with that zone.
You may have noticed that the bats were all wierd looking and the skeletons had pointy heads and threw bones, very strange indeed.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Green Intern posted:

You wound me.

It's nothing personal, really, just that the internet has conditioned me to associate 'alternate interpretation' with 'anime girls that vaguely look like the source material'. And it looks like I'm not the only one.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It seems likely this LP may go on a temporary hiatus as I may be losing access to my computer/internet for the foreseeable future. Hopefully it will just be for a week or two but it may go longer. It may not happen at all but that seems far less likely unfortunately.

Circumstances beyond my control but I'll be back as soon as I can.

E: I'll also get the second half of Temple of the Sun up today so we don't have to leave in the middle of a zone at least.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 16, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Man. :( Good luck with what's going on.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Agent355 posted:

It seems likely this LP may go on a temporary hiatus as I may be losing access to my computer/internet for the foreseeable future. Hopefully it will just be for a week or two but it may go longer. It may not happen at all but that seems far less likely unfortunately.

Circumstances beyond my control but I'll be back as soon as I can.

E: I'll also get the second half of Temple of the Sun up today so we don't have to leave in the middle of a zone at least.

This would have to happen right after I finally get off my rear end and record the first Hard Mode video to your specifications!

Good luck with thing, and I look forward to your return to the internet.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So thing appears to not be happening which is good. Thread ~should~ proceed as normal for the near future. Which means no update today you guys get to wait for thursday like normal!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Agent355 posted:

So thing appears to not be happening which is good. Thread ~should~ proceed as normal for the near future. Which means no update today you guys get to wait for thursday like normal!

Curse you! :argh:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Maybe I can help!

La Mulana Hard Mode: Episode 1

Edit: Apparently the cursor got captured! poo poo! That's hardly the only shameful thing that happens in the video! Please disregard, it will be gone in the next one.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 17, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nice mouse cursor in the middle of the screen; totally not distracting at all. :v:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Going to enjoy this. Someday my masochist streak will lead me to play this again in hard mode, but until then I'll just have to settle for this.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Hey it's Thursday now.

Episode 6 - Youtube

Our first look at backsides, kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ptah has, funnily enough, the head of a human. Wadjet was a snake goddess.
edit: Also, there totally was a frog goddess. Her name was Heget.
edit2: The jesus lizard is called basilisk. Eat that, mythology.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 17, 2014

• Locked thread