Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Neruz posted:

The important thing to take away from this LP is that La Mulana is not historically accurate :stare:

Or it is historically accurate and this whole temple is saying "Wow you humans suck at history" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I just found this thread. Nice LP, I'm enjoying it so far. But before I continue watching the rest of the episodes so far, I would like to note that the spelling "Le'ts Play" in the title of the episode 4 youtube clip kinda gets on my nerves.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 19, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

Or it is historically accurate and this whole temple is saying "Wow you humans suck at history" :v:

Or, my takeaway is "Oh, it's a game."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samizdata posted:

Or, my takeaway is "Oh, it's a game."

You are just trying to hide the true history from the people! :tinfoil:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Neruz posted:

You are just trying to hide the true history from the people! :tinfoil:

Guess so then. Is this the point when I mention I used to be a Majestic subscriber?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Caught up on this LP. I didn't get that far into the game when I played. I just wasn't enjoying having little to no direction and couldn't tell if I had some figured out or not. For example I found the jewel for the water area and used that to fight the twin snake boss.

But I'm really enjoying this LP. It's great because there's no way I'm going to go back to the game.

Also On the subject of Egyptian Deities. Unless I'm remembering things wrong one of their early creation myths was that whoever was the sun god at the time was lonely then masturbated and it's ejaculate is the substance of the universe. So that's a fun thought.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Jerkin it was a thing for ancient cultures. Especially those Egyptian fellows.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_W posted:

Caught up on this LP. I didn't get that far into the game when I played. I just wasn't enjoying having little to no direction and couldn't tell if I had some figured out or not. For example I found the jewel for the water area and used that to fight the twin snake boss.

But I'm really enjoying this LP. It's great because there's no way I'm going to go back to the game.

Also On the subject of Egyptian Deities. Unless I'm remembering things wrong one of their early creation myths was that whoever was the sun god at the time was lonely then masturbated and it's ejaculate is the substance of the universe. So that's a fun thought.

Long before that, kids. According to Mesopotamian mythology, the Tigris river was formed from one of Enki's wank sessions. [citation]

And that is completely ignoring him boinking everything with a pulse, and somethings without (like clay dolls created for the purpose).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

D_W posted:

It's how the universe came to be.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Just found the lp. Honestly I've only ever gotten to the tomb of giants on my own in the original. I'm liking how you're doing the "here's how this makes sense" stuff. Here's to a great run.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

FisheyStix posted:

Jerkin it was a thing for ancient cultures. Especially those Egyptian fellows.

Has the myth involving Set, Horus, and some lettuce been brought up yet?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Here's the next hard mode video, fresh off the presses and covering up to Sakit! So fresh, in fact, that it's still processing, but I'll put the link up now anyways. You can watch it in lovely 240p or whatever if you want, or wait until the better resolutions are available!

Hard Mode Episode 2

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 7 - Youtube

During temple of the sun somebody said something like 'I really like the next area'. Since spring in the sky is a pretty logical continuation from temple of the sun I'm going to assume that person is very mad at me now.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Caltrops are actually really useful. They damage you for one damage, and mercy invincibility is a thing in this game. Stepping on caltrops to avoid powerful attacks is a very viable defensive strategy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Throwing caltrops also knocks you off ladders so you can skip climbing down ladders if you gotta go fast.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Please don't use the pistol for any bosses - I'd much rather you suffer for our amusement. :)

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Please don't use the pistol for any bosses - I'd much rather you suffer for our amusement. :)

Too late! He already bought the pistol, which means it's fair game for Hard Mode! Muahahaha.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Olesh posted:

Too late! He already bought the pistol, which means it's fair game for Hard Mode! Muahahaha.
The people demand you go for the no sub-weapons against bosses on hard mode cheevo.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

first time I beat the game I used the infinite money exploit to buy a ton of bullets, I never really used em but I did end up cheesing the last boss after multiple failed runs. The second time I beat the game I did the same thing. Basically I have yet to beat the final boss without the gun, so I'm interested to see how it goes :ohdear:

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Wow. The Spring in the Sky is completely defanged compared to the original. I mean. Wow. You can have the axe without getting a fail-able puzzle correct, but you can only get the hint for that puzzle by clearing the Spring in the Sky. There's an extra puzzle added so you can get another weapon. You can see the bats when they're underwater. Being underwater is mildly inconvenient instead of immediately life threatening. The grail tablet is no longer underwater, so you can warp back safely before you get the Scale Sphere. You can get the Scale Sphere without killing the miniboss, if you so choose. Also it loses something really cool about the original aesthetic, which talking about any more is probably a spoiler.

So I can see why the Spring is more suited for a second field in the remake. In the original it plays well as the fourth field, and quite a few nice things were locked behind it. It was also the first puzzle I needed to have spoiled for me. The water was so deadly that I was searching everywhere else for the water-immunity item and I eventually had to cave in and look up where to find it. There is actually a hint about that. There's a half-busted tablet that has a picture of the only water you need to enter without the Scale Sphere and a completely illegible sentence. But that problem with the sentence may be on the fan translator, so it's forgiven.

The Spring in the Sky is also where you get the tiniest of hints on how to activate fairies. It's such a tiny hint. Nothing like "go fetch the Pendent of Isis." No, you have to find the right ROM (out of 84 slots) that is "Cute enough" for the fairies. Your hint in the Spring in the Sky is that "Fairies will kindly divine thy life." There's no emphasis in the original text. Sure seems like enough of a hint to use the Diviner Sensation ROM for the fairies, huh? Again, this may be on the fan translator. You just need to have the ROM when you talk to the fairy queen, not pick it out.

In the original, most of the pots refilled when you saved and reloaded your game. I'm guessing that's not the case in the remake?

Cool LP in any case. It got me to start up a new run of the original and I've gotten farther than I have before. Going to have to check and see if I finally have the right equipment to open some of those secrets in the Spring.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In the remake, once you get the one-time treasure from a pot, after that the pot will be boring and generic (= usually empty, sometimes has 2 coins in it, maybe a weight on rare occasions?). If the one-time treasure is, say, ammo for a sub-weapon you don't have yet, the pot is boring beforehand and will get its one-time treasure once you're actually able to obtain it.

On the flip side, both weights and ammo for all sub-weapons are pretty easily buyable, and money's fairly straightforward to come by after you're about 1/4-1/3 through the game or so. (Even without unlocking and/or discovering easy ways to farm infinite money, there's also just simply a hell of a lot of money from one-time pots, coin chests, and mini-bosses. A new player might not find many coin chests, but even so, they shouldn't be all that crunched.)

As far as the gun goes, its horizontal firing pattern severely limits its usefulness against the final boss. There's another sub-weapon which is considerably more helpful there. In my experience, the gun's a lot more useful for some of the other bosses. On hard mode, I also feel no shame for using it on Ellmac; as far as bosses go, he's the number one gameplay cockblock locking you out of poo poo. (Hard mode melee-only falls solidly under the category of "that's nice, did it once, never loving again".)

klez
Oct 23, 2010
Nice lp for the remake, I'm really enjoying the videos.

I feel like they dial down the Spring in the sky to make the early game more accessible and non-linear. The only thing that limits you in this map is the waterfall and helmet, so you can do this map before temple of the sun (or the giants), in case you got stuck there. So you can do this as your 2nd map if you want. In the original the water kills you so fast even with the amount of health you have which discourages exploring this section early game, and I feel they want to fix that. Also you're totally NOT suppose to do the bottom part of this map before getting the scalesphere (at least in the original), and that makes this map feels less...coherent than it should be.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just finished watching the episodes; fun fact, you can permanently miss the Temple of the Sun map if you warp out of its room rather than pushing the statue to make the ladder appear.

Episode 6; why did you break the shortcut in the moon temple?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Just finished watching the episodes; fun fact, you can permanently miss the Temple of the Sun map if you warp out of its room rather than pushing the statue to make the ladder appear.

Because I never used that shortcut so I didn't even think about it. gently caress da police. :shrug:

Never even really crossed my mind I suppose, wouldn't be the first shortcut/passage that I never paid much attention to.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 21, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

TheBlandName posted:

No, you have to find the right ROM (out of 84 slots) that is "Cute enough" for the fairies.

A big part of the problem with that puzzle in the original is that the MSX game that ROM is for, コナミの占いセンセーション, was never released outside of Japan and so it has no official English title and nobody in the west has ever played it. (I say "played", but it's not really so much a game as a fortune telling... thing.) But if you're Japanese, you might remember the game, and that the box looked like this:

Quite... bombastically cute. I haven't been able to find the original Japanese script, so I can't tell you what that tablet says in the original... maybe I'll play through the game later and find out.

E: Okay, hey, I found it. The original line for that tablet is pretty much word-for-word what the English translation has, so go figure. It uses the word 占う, which is in the title of the game and means "to tell a fortune" or "to divine", so it's pretty much as clear in the original as it is with the patch (i.e. not at all).

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 21, 2014

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Genocyber posted:

To be absolutely fair, the shortcut in the moon temple isn't really much of a shortcut. By the time you actually get to the point where you want to be doing the area the shortcut leads to, the warp point is only two or three screens away anyway.

Anyway, I keep forgetting just how short the Spring in the Sky really is. Even the Mausoleum of the Giants was longer to go through, and its puzzles were only slightly more devious what with the sky disk.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Episode 7 - Youtube

During temple of the sun somebody said something like 'I really like the next area'. Since spring in the sky is a pretty logical continuation from temple of the sun I'm going to assume that person is very mad at me now.

Break a seal switch to reveal a big switch, step on big switch to reveal another weight switch, put weight on weight switch to power on cog switch. Hit cog switch to reveal ankh switch. Insert ankh jewel in ankh switch to start boss fight.

It's switches all the way down.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Yep.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 22, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

More trivia for you: That guy, and the music theme for the Spring in the Sky (CURSE OF IRON PIPE), are based on another game that was never released outside Japan, Ashguine Story II:

That weird pipe thing is in the first Ashguine too, but it's not as pronounced. More like a little knob.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The Spring in the Sky is a really odd place for me. At first I hated it and its music, then I loved it and its music. The HD remake is kind of a disappointment in both aspects. I don't remember if the original had better puzzles, but it was a lot more deadly at least. I did hate the huge drops though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The initial puzzles in the original Spring in the Sky are about the same level of complexity (hit thing until thing happens) but there are definitely hints telling you what you should do; I have no idea if it's in the remake since I didn't bother reading most of the runestones when I played through but I know in the original version the 'kill the wierd fish' puzzle is explained on a runestone elsewhere in the Spring that has a little picture of the fish in his pool of water with the chest above it.

The first set of puzzles can definitely be brute forced but it is worth mentioning that there are still quite a few puzzles in the Spring in the Sky that we havn't seen yet and some of them are pretty dope.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Neruz posted:

The initial puzzles in the original Spring in the Sky are about the same level of complexity (hit thing until thing happens) but there are definitely hints telling you what you should do; I have no idea if it's in the remake since I didn't bother reading most of the runestones when I played through but I know in the original version the 'kill the wierd fish' puzzle is explained on a runestone elsewhere in the Spring that has a little picture of the fish in his pool of water with the chest above it.

The first set of puzzles can definitely be brute forced but it is worth mentioning that there are still quite a few puzzles in the Spring in the Sky that we havn't seen yet and some of them are pretty dope.

I was gonna post yesterday, about how the video made me realize how simple the puzzles in that place were. Then I remembered some of the later things you come back for that you're referring to, and literally went :argh: at my monitor.

I can't wait to hear/see the explanations for most of the second half of the game because god drat.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Was the destruction of that one shortcut in episode 6 an accident or meant to happen? It's a one time only thing after all.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Was the destruction of that one shortcut in episode 6 an accident or meant to happen? It's a one time only thing after all.

I don't know, why don't we check the thread to see if anyone else asked this question?

Genocyber posted:

Agent355 posted:

Because I never used that shortcut so I didn't even think about it. gently caress da police. :shrug:

Never even really crossed my mind I suppose, wouldn't be the first shortcut/passage that I never paid much attention to.

SourceElement posted:

To be absolutely fair, the shortcut in the moon temple isn't really much of a shortcut. By the time you actually get to the point where you want to be doing the area the shortcut leads to, the warp point is only two or three screens away anyway.

I guess they didn't!

Hey Agent, why'd you break that shortcut?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Let's Play La Mulana - The hardest puzzle is why I broke the platform

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The secret of La-Mulana is Agent is no good at this game.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

What you guys don't know actually is that by not opening that shortcut Agent can now unlock the ultra negative upside down versions of all the levels.

Truth. :v:

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

D_W posted:

What you guys don't know actually is that by not opening that shortcut Agent can now unlock the ultra negative upside down versions of all the levels.

Truth. :v:
I think you mean that he can't not unlock the double-negative levels now.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Just so we're on the same page, we mean that ladder in the upper-right part of the Temple of Moonlight to the Twin Labyrinth, right?

As if there aren't like a dozen ways to get into that accursed area already.

Agent's already been in it, for that matter! I don't even know why I'm spoilering it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Just so we're on the same page, we mean that ladder in the upper-right part of the Temple of Moonlight to the Twin Labyrinth, right?

As if there aren't like a dozen ways to get into that accursed area already.

Agent's already been in it, for that matter! I don't even know why I'm spoilering it.

No you don't understand! Now he can't get to it from a really weird direction!

This is important guys!

I've been doing some recording for the next area, I'm excited I get to use Sweet Page Turning Transitions again since I have more tablets to show off!

• Locked thread