Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Random Hajile posted:

I think you mean that he can't not unlock the double-negative levels now.

Nope! There was no typo.

But really how amazing(ly awful) would something like that be? "Oh you unlocked a mostly unnecessary shortcut? Well now you can't get the true ending or complete the actual game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

D_W posted:

Nope! There was no typo.

But really how amazing(ly awful) would something like that be? "Oh you unlocked a mostly unnecessary shortcut? Well now you can't get the true ending or complete the actual game."

You should go read up about the neccessary steps to get into and beat the true final area of the original La Mulana. That is true amazement.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Shame on me for not reading every post, I pretty much just watched the videos in the op.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Agent355 posted:

No you don't understand! Now he can't get to it from a really weird direction!

This is important guys!

I've been doing some recording for the next area, I'm excited I get to use Sweet Page Turning Transitions again since I have more tablets to show off!

You've failed to 100% La Mulana. LP over, I guess!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
The worst thing in this LP is that agent just kept switching his (sub)weapon in the equipment screen when there is a button for that on the official homepage. Now :frogout:.

I'm obviously kidding on the last sentence there. Your approach regarding the puzzles is really great, agent.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Jeek posted:

The worst thing in this LP is that agent just kept switching his (sub)weapon in the equipment screen when there is a button for that on the official homepage. Now :frogout:.

I'm obviously kidding on the last sentence there. Your approach regarding the puzzles is really great, agent.

Let's be fair; if I'm using keyboard controls I too will go to the menu to switch weapons/subweapons.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 8 - Youtube

Mixing things up a bit, now we kill bosses first.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
God I love the Surprise Fish, best enemy :D

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Here I'll back you up.

gently caress the water/lava physics. gently caress that room. And finally, gently caress that miniboss.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I would like to point out that you can jump back to that platform from the waterfall screen. You don't have to go back through the Spring in the Sky every time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Goddamn I hate Bahamut. I had so much trouble with that boss, even at 200+ hp it took me like 20 tries.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Bahamut always gave me trouble. Even on my second playthrough where I got almost all the items possible before starting to take on bosses he gave me trouble. Some future bosses can also be really tough that way, but I feel Bahamut is the least cool of the roadblocks (which doesn't mean much when all the bosses are awesome... And then there's Mr. Twosnakes which I guess is alright).

e: HD Bahamut seems kind of easier than the original. It looked like you only died the first time because you were too impatient.

The Inferno Cavern is really annoying, mostly because of those magma rocks that shoot out of the lava. And that room really is hella annoying.

The puzzle for the chain whip is harder in the original IIRC, the pillars rise a lot more suddenly and faster I think.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 24, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's nice how the laptop has "OK" as if it's part of the text for every translated inscription.

It's as if the laptop is telling you it's okay, don't worry, everything will be fine.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's nice how the laptop has "OK" as if it's part of the text for every translated inscription.

It's as if the laptop is telling you it's okay, don't worry, everything will be fine.

DON'T PANIC.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Are there any hints pertaining to the chain whip puzzle? Because that's a dick move even for this game.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Caltrops are pretty good for Bahamut. When he does the dive over your head, instead of turning around to hit him with the axe, you can walk away and drop caltrops behind you so they hit his head. Slower, but safer.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Are there any hints pertaining to the chain whip puzzle? Because that's a dick move even for this game.

Yes, there are. It's oblique and dickish but not totally secret.

It really encourages you to focus. No one wants to fight Pazuzu again.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

There's a tablet that mentions you can permanently gently caress it up, yeah.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SourceElement posted:

I would like to point out that you can jump back to that platform from the waterfall screen. You don't have to go back through the Spring in the Sky every time.

Yup you can just jump from the left waterfall. Sorry you had to go up the Spring in the Sky elevator like 5 times agent!

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I wanna say a couple things.

First off, thank you to Angent355 for LPing the HD remake of this game. I'll admit I watched DC's LP of the original (and admit it was okay back in the day but now...) and wow. What a difference between the two versions. I don't know if it's for the better or worse. (I wanna say better honestly.)

Second, a comment about the laptop. It is a reference to the original version of the game where you had to collect MSX games, which you then used (solo and paired up) to have different things happen. There were some tablets that hinted at the games needed to do different things, but they never out right said what games were needed so you had to KNOW what each of the 80+ roms were to even make a guess. Again, these were roms of a JAPAN ONLY system so yeah. Have fun figuring poo poo out without a guide.

Finally, mad props to Olesh for doing the Hard Mode videos. You have mad skills and put Agent355 to shame.

I will be watching these videos and I know when I finally get some money to spend, I will be picking up the HD Remake of La Mulana, despite the fact I know I'm going to suck at it. Keep up the good work guys.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Hahaha. There are hints to every step of the puzzle, including entering the room itself and its fail-able nature. It's incredibly kind in comparison to what awaits.

Also, it's one of the few puzzles shown that are easier in the original. Sure, the pillars move holy poo poo fast in the original, but they also won't squish you against the ceiling. Pazuzu is considerably less dangerous as well, as his attacks consist of spawning destructible blocks to rain from the ceiling with an incredibly convenient platform to shield the best position to attack from.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Even if you didn't know explicitly how to solve the puzzle on your first time, worst case scenario you have to beat Pazuzu again. It absolutely happened to me the first time but on the second time I just went back and saved after beating the mini-boss and took a few attempts to get the whip.

As far as 'one chance only' puzzles, this is far from the only one. It gets so much worse.

Also I don't actually like the chain whip very much despite it's ~excellent~ sound effects, I think I'll make a point of using it in a future video just to show it off though.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I'm not going to be watching the rest of this because of the following, but I just wanted to say that the first two episodes made me get off my rear end, install windows, and finally play my copy of La Mulana.

I've been screenshotting every tablet/convo I come across, but even then I sometimes have to resort to a walkthrough (weapon spoiler) like to find the axe, which apparently the game gives you no hint about.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Ben Kasack posted:

There were some tablets that hinted at the games needed to do different things, but they never out right said what games were needed so you had to KNOW what each of the 80+ roms were to even make a guess.

Don't forget the manual! A lot of people missed that for some reason, but many of the really important ROM combinations are listed in the manual. The rear warp combo is outright stated, and there's even a hint for the fairy puzzle (Diviner Sensation is listed as a single ROM with unknown effect, and Diviner Sensation + Q-Bert is also listed.)

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Oh hey it's that game I gave up when I finally killed the dinosaur boss only for it to drop me into a room with no escape.

...Yes, I missed the Grail. And the axe. Actually I missed the whole back-side thing. And some health pickups. And a bunch of other stuff. It's nice to see rest of the bullshit the game has to offer. Although it looks considerably less unfair if you remember every tablet's contents, and more importantly, get the axe.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gyre posted:

I'm not going to be watching the rest of this because of the following, but I just wanted to say that the first two episodes made me get off my rear end, install windows, and finally play my copy of La Mulana.

I've been screenshotting every tablet/convo I come across, but even then I sometimes have to resort to a walkthrough (weapon spoiler) like to find the axe, which apparently the game gives you no hint about.

The Axe room shows up on the map.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ottumon posted:

Oh hey it's that game I gave up when I finally killed the dinosaur boss only for it to drop me into a room with no escape.

...Yes, I missed the Grail. And the axe. Actually I missed the whole back-side thing. And some health pickups. And a bunch of other stuff. It's nice to see rest of the bullshit the game has to offer. Although it looks considerably less unfair if you remember every tablet's contents, and more importantly, get the axe.

Thats the twin labyrinth, you can just climb the ladder out, though I suppose if you just tried picking a random, non-ladder direction it could lead to a sudden untimely demise.

La Mulana is not your friend.

The axe makes things quite a bit easier on the boss front, so will an item we get in episode 10. Though the chain whip is about on par with the axe and is alot more difficult to miss (even if you have to reload through the one-try puzzle a couple times).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That lower snake is the best troll.

"Now the fire does practically nothing." Compared to what you normally take, anyhow

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Agent355 posted:

Alternate thread title found :v:

In all seriousness though, this is one of those kinds of games I would feel compelled to try to do with no walkthrough, just for the maximum puzzle solving roleplay-y sort of experience. Sit down with a notebook and copy every single significant tablet, make notes on rooms that might be important, try to figure out the history of this place based on the lore, so on so forth

Aaaaand knowing me, I would probably suffer greatly for my hubris, and cave in to find a guide rather quickly. I do love me some puzzles, but I am not good at them

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Thats the twin labyrinth, you can just climb the ladder out, though I suppose if you just tried picking a random, non-ladder direction it could lead to a sudden untimely demise.

The axe makes things quite a bit easier on the boss front, so will an item we get in episode 10. Though the chain whip is about on par with the axe and is alot more difficult to miss (even if you have to reload through the one-try puzzle a couple times).

I remember doing that, and I got into the room above (the same one where you just teleported out), and I could swear the pit down just takes you back into the timer room. I might be remembering things wrong though, and I just died because of being bad.

e: quoted to clarify

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Well the ladder takes you back to Ellmac's room but I don't think there is a ladder back to the temple of the sun from there and you certainly can't go exploring Twin Labyrinth. So it just may be that you can't beat Ellmac without the holy grail, or a special item for Twin Labyrinth that we haven't seen yet.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Ottumon posted:

I remember doing that, and I got into the room above (the same one where you just teleported out), and I could swear the pit down just takes you back into the timer room. I might be remembering things wrong though, and I just died because of being bad.

e: quoted to clarify

I mean, that is technically true, but you're expected to have the Holy Grail by then. You can simply teleport out and come back when you're prepared for the puzzle.

Hard Mode update 3 will be up tonight if I can make arrangements for the commentary.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I actually made it through Normal Mode on my own brainpower, although I missed a great deal of stuff in the process. There's conservation of information in this game- every clue gets used eventually. Crossing info off the list once you've gotten rewarded for using it goes a long way toward making the game's puzzles manageable.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Worth mentioning for the people talking about how being permanently locked out (well not permanently but locked out until way later) of the Chain Whip is a dick move, that the Chain Whip is entirely optional. You do not need it to beat the game at all; it is purely just an upgrade to make your whip do more damage.

In light of its optional nature I think that having a puzzle you can just fail if you're not careful to get it early is actually a pretty neat idea. But you don't actually need the Chain Whip at all; first time I beat the game was without it because I messed up the puzzle and in the original there wasn't a second chance later on.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

This took a little longer, because I actually had to edit the audio for this one.

La-Mulana Hard Mode: Episode 3

I'm kind of dreading Bahamut, so the next video might be somewhat delayed.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The buckler is pretty terrible, if only there was an unbreakable buckler... :ninja:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Neruz posted:

You do not need it to beat the game at all; it is purely just an upgrade to make your whip do more damage.

Plus, late in the game, it's entirely replaced by the Flail anyway, and I don't think there's anything preventing you from getting the Flail even if you screw up the Chain Whip puzzle. And the game gives you two chances to get the Chain Whip, so it's not like there's zero tolerance for failure.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The game is actually very forgiving when it comes to lost-forever and missables. There are only a very small handful of things you can flat-out permanently miss (or render to be such a PITA to get, unless you're a Super Pro Platformer, that they might as well be permanently missed) and, of course, none of them are by any means necessary to beat the game. They mostly do make the combat at least a little easier or more forgiving, but it's not as crucial as you might think.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm loving those boss fights. They've really been changing things up for them so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 9 - Youtube

I don't remember what I said in the episode proper so I'm going to put some words here in case I didn't cover it very well.

The part of the game where we enter a zone, solve all it's puzzles, and then kill a boss, is over. Any zone we try to enter will eventually have us run into a roadblock where we can't possibly progress further until we get certain things, either items or knowledge from tablets we haven't seen yet. Now is where the game really starts to ramp up in difficulty, drastically. We have to go and explore 3 different zones before we have all the things we need to progress through the next big roadblock in the game, the Gate of Illusion.

• Locked thread