Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Agent355 posted:

Episode 9 - Youtube

I don't remember what I said in the episode proper so I'm going to put some words here in case I didn't cover it very well.

The part of the game where we enter a zone, solve all it's puzzles, and then kill a boss, is over. Any zone we try to enter will eventually have us run into a roadblock where we can't possibly progress further until we get certain things, either items or knowledge from tablets we haven't seen yet. Now is where the game really starts to ramp up in difficulty, drastically. We have to go and explore 3 different zones before we have all the things we need to progress through the next big roadblock in the game, the Gate of Illusion.

This is the real game; up till now La Mulana has had the training wheels on while it teaches you about things.
Now the gloves are off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Episode 9 - Youtube

I don't remember what I said in the episode proper so I'm going to put some words here in case I didn't cover it very well.

The part of the game where we enter a zone, solve all it's puzzles, and then kill a boss, is over. Any zone we try to enter will eventually have us run into a roadblock where we can't possibly progress further until we get certain things, either items or knowledge from tablets we haven't seen yet. Now is where the game really starts to ramp up in difficulty, drastically. We have to go and explore 3 different zones before we have all the things we need to progress through the next big roadblock in the game, the Gate of Illusion.

Welcome to the midgame. Haven't watched your video yet, but I'm really curious to see your route and if there's any more differences in item locations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I seem to recall that upwards jumping section in Temple of Moonlight being a total loving nightmare in the original version, but can't remember what was on top of it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The Chakram is pretty great! It technically deals half the damage of a pistol shot, but were also sort of correct!

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I seem to recall that upwards jumping section in Temple of Moonlight being a total loving nightmare in the original version, but can't remember what was on top of it.

You get the Serpent's Staff at the top of the jumping section. And it's so much worse in the original because you can't gently push off the walls and land on a platform higher than you jumped from. You have to grapple cling and kick your way up each platform. The faces on the walls are close enough that they get angry very quickly so you've only got one try on two of the jumps.

Lots of really small individual differences in the Moon Temple that add up to a different progression. The roaming Anubis enemies aren't all over the place in the original, but they also don't need line of sight to hurt you. If you're in the same room as Anubis in the original you just take damage. There's also fewer obstacles preventing you from running around to the right of the pyramid.

Going through the Chamber of Extinction is more of a pain in the original. You can see where the enemies are, regardless of light, but you don't have a little light circle around you. So you basically have to luck into your first torch. Or you can put it off until you permanently light the chamber. You don't need anything from the Chamber in the Original until much later. The Crucifix isn't even locked behind the Life seal, just Birth.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Just looking around the Chamber of Extinction, you can tell something bad happened in there. The area looks burnt, the elephant statues look like they're half melted, and there's a bunch of human-looking figures all over the area that, when scanned, reveal they were likely in the midst of melting when something froze them in place.

If you scan the grail tablet, it says that the area is the remains of a site of a great battle. What a battle it must have been if it had heat like that!

Also I swear one tablet somewhere in the game says that one of the previous ages was ended by a great fire from the heavens. The Chamber of Extinction might very well be the remnants of that fiery apocalypse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Agent355 posted:

Neruz posted:

This is the real game; up till now La Mulana has had the training wheels on while it teaches you about things.
Now the gloves are off.

TheBlandName posted:

Welcome to the midgame. Haven't watched your video yet, but I'm really curious to see your route and if there's any more differences in item locations.

The real La Mulana begins here! :darksouls:

vvvvvv You've almost got it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 28, 2014

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Is it just me, or does the whole chamber of extinction have a Pompeii sort of vibe? The place seems to be filled with statues of, well, fossilized humans at a glance. What exactly does it say about them if you scan one?

Also, you go in a line to the right and end up below one of the rooms on the left? The map looks like the area is a long slope, so I'm guessing the chamber is actually a large downward spiral? You loop all the way around and end up one 'level' below the original room, if that makes sense.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Illusuroy wall ahead :darksouls:

Also, way to show off the Anubises. Truly a 100% LP.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I remember the solution to Super Anubis's invincibility being really frustrating for me. I don't know WHY, it's not the worst puzzle by any stretch, but I spent a long god damned time before I clued in, and got Mad At Video Games for a while :saddowns:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The real La Mulana begins here! :darksouls:

I feel like this fits with the :darksouls: association in more than one way: it's also reminiscent of how the plot is almost entirely up to the player to fit together.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

azren posted:

I feel like this fits with the :darksouls: association in more than one way: it's also reminiscent of how the plot is almost entirely up to the player to fit together.

I like the :darksouls: comparison and think you guys should continue to find ways in which La-Mulana resembles :darksouls: so that we can continue to talk about :darksouls: for no particular reason.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Increasing Lameza's Adaptability allows you to eat curry at a faster rate, as well as protects against poisons.

But really you're better off just getting enough Strength to two hand the Axe and go to town against those rascally invaders. Just remember that Tomb Graveyard of the Giants is a PVP hotspot!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's Thursday!

Episode 10 - Youtube

Oh my gosh we're getting into the meat of the game.

This game keeps ramping up the later it goes.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anybody have an avatar sized GIF of Anubis casting the insta-death spell? It looks like he's dancing :v:

Agent mentioned the program combinations in this video so i have to ask if they kept some of the really crazy ones from the original? Like there was one that made everything kill you in one hit. There were also some bizarre ones that changed the way some of the objects looked (coins turned into little fishes i believe was one of them).

Also i believe there were like 40 or 50 different ROMS to find in the original compared to i don't know how many programs in this one.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
There were 84 ROMs in the original game, cut down to 20 in the remake, so the crazier combinations aren't in the remake.

The coins turned into the fishes from Antarctic Adventure, I think? There was one that turned weights into tea mugs.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Dancing man, indeed.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Agent355 posted:

It's Thursday!

Episode 10 - Youtube

Oh my gosh we're getting into the meat of the game.

This game keeps ramping up the later it goes.

Oh, I am looking forward to this!

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Wow. The Gate of Illusion has quite a large entry barrier compared to the original. Although it remains to be seen whether the puzzles are as soul-crushingly terrible. Clever but terrible. They're flat out great puzzles for making you feel smart when you figure them out on your own. But they're terrible because if you don't do the entire location in one go you will forget a crucial hint and have to go over the entire zone, scanning all the tablets and going in all the caves again.

As of this video we've seen probably two things that are easier to do in the original. First is entering the Gate of Illusion. And the second is grabbing the Book of the Dead. Yes, the item that the hint giver hands you is even easier to get in the original. Because it's in the chest in the Anubis room.

On the other hand, you can't get the Silver Shield until you've cleared the Gate of Illusion. It's straight up not possible. You also can't open the shortcut between the Temple of Moonlight and the Graveyard of the Giants until you've cleared the Gate of Illusion. Not that the shortcut is very useful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SourceElement posted:

Dancing man, indeed.

God damnit, Nigoro. :allears:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The bat can't escape you. BUT YOUR CHAKRAMs DID!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Didn't die, just went home.

Loving the LP, especially the hard mode one that is really super impressive.

Not enough falling on spikes, but that's what Agent355 is for!

Edit: Speaking of throwing Chakrams away, can you just go buy more, or were those two the only ones in all of La Mulana?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cassa posted:

Edit: Speaking of throwing Chakrams away, can you just go buy more, or were those two the only ones in all of La Mulana?
They're not cheap, but you can buy more.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Cassa posted:

You can buy more, and there are even enemies that drop them. However, they're very expensive (not quite on bullet level, but still way more than the other subweapons) and you can only have ten at a time, so it's very much worth your while to not lose them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You also have to make a certain amount of progress before they're even available to buy. Ditto with encountering enemies which drop them. This is not counting a certain sequence break.

So before you've opened up any options for getting more, it's... pretty important to hang on to the ones you start with. Absolutely necessary, no, but it's good practice. This is really only an issue for the chakram though; for every other sub-weapon, by the time you get it, you've also got access to a shop that sells more of it.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Hard mode video will be coming a bit late. This has been a busy week for me; between trying to fit five days of regular work into four and prepping for the weekend the next hard mode video (covering Bahamut and a little bit afterward) is routed, but I need to get a clean recording in and then the requisite commentary taken care of which I simply have not had time to do.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
In relation to the Graveyard of the Giants, a Mausoleum is an external free-standing building constructed as a monument enclosing the burial chamber of the deceased, so the Graveyard being the backside of the Mausoleum makes perfect sense. The Mausoleum is full of statues (and apparently a robot) of the Giants and tells the tales of their life and glory. The Graveyard contains the actual bodies of the Giants, apparently in deep freeze.

e: Ah hah hah, the Gate of Illusion ooh boy. In the original game that area was known as the "Confusion Gate" and it very much lives up to its name :getin:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 2, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Neruz posted:

e: Ah hah hah, the Gate of Illusion ooh boy. In the original game that area was known as the "Confusion Gate" and it very much lives up to its name :getin:

Strangely, the name wasn't changed for the remake in Japanese... it's still the same name as in the original. They just chose to translate it differently for unknown reasons. Some trivia about that: the Japanese word used for that area (迷い) doesn't really mean "confusion", but more like "straying" or "losing one's way". Which is even more appropriate for what navigating that place is like. :suicide:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Strangely, the name wasn't changed for the remake in Japanese... it's still the same name as in the original. They just chose to translate it differently for unknown reasons. Some trivia about that: the Japanese word used for that area (迷い) doesn't really mean "confusion", but more like "straying" or "losing one's way". Which is even more appropriate for what navigating that place is like. :suicide:

I love the tileset for the Gate of Illusion too, the faces are so excellent. It also has one of the creepiest set pieces in the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Neruz posted:

The buckler is pretty terrible, if only there was an unbreakable buckler... :ninja:

The Buckler got nerfed hard in the remake. It was pretty good in the original with how early you could get it, though it was more expensive, and while it protects a small area, it couldn't break, which made it a lot better for handling projectiles, and it could be pretty helpful in the earlygame. But it's really not worth getting here.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Buckler got nerfed hard in the remake. It was pretty good in the original with how early you could get it, though it was more expensive, and while it protects a small area, it couldn't break, which made it a lot better for handling projectiles, and it could be pretty helpful in the earlygame. But it's really not worth getting here.

Which doesn't really matter though because the Silver Shield is much easier to get than in the original and is better in every way.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neruz posted:

Which doesn't really matter though because the Silver Shield is much easier to get than in the original and is better in every way.

Pretty sure Olesh showed you how the pros use a buckler last Hardmode video.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm also pretty sure that since it costs 10 gold there isn't much reason NOT to get it. Even if you aren't likely to find much use for it, its only 10 gold.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I remember right, but I could swear that the double jumping in the original version was a lot more limited. I'm pretty sure you couldn't have gotten into that unsealed treasure place on the surface the way you did in the original.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I can only imagine the thought process that went into designing a game of this scope. I mean, OK, first you have the outer temple, the staging area, then you get inside and have 6 or 7 distinct areas full of puzzles, some of which you won't be able to solve right away. Then those all have 'backsides' to them, each with their own puzzles. I don't think you've shown yet where a solution to a puzzle on the frontside is on the backside, but I'm willing to bet that at least one exists there.

And, on top of all that, the items that you need to progress and the clues that get you there are spread out all over the two maps.

This is a more head bendy version of Symphony of the Night, really.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

I'm not sure if I remember right, but I could swear that the double jumping in the original version was a lot more limited. I'm pretty sure you couldn't have gotten into that unsealed treasure place on the surface the way you did in the original.

In the original, you couldn't use your double jump unless you still had upward momentum. So it wasn't really a double jump as much as it was a high jump. Useful, but oftentimes not worth using because you'd overshoot your target.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Really, once the backside opens up, anything goes. You'll get backside clues/items for backside areas, backside clues/items for frontside areas, frontside clues/items for backside areas, and frontside clues/items for frontside areas. And that's not getting into areas which blur the frontside/backside thing a bit...

Probably more to the point is that the first four areas of the ruins are very distinctly self-contained, and most of the puzzles in each of them can be solved on your first real visit. (Okay, so you'll want to grab the shoes before the temple, and the helmet before the spring, but besides that...)

However, everything after that is increasingly complicated. Sometimes you need an item or a clue from another area. Sometimes you need both. Sometimes that other area is on the same front/back side, sometimes it's not. Some of my favorite late-game puzzles have their required clues scattered all over the goddamn game. (Process of elimination is a very useful tool, there. Note down all the clues, then cross them off as you figure out what they refer to.)

That said, the game is ultimately very fair. I can think of almost no puzzles where you don't get either a readable clue or an environmental-observation clue to help you out. And the readable clues are always completely true; tablets never ever lie to you. They may tell you something that makes no loving sense (until in hindsight after solving the related puzzle), but it's never, ever, a lie.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Vil posted:

but it's never, ever, a lie.

Except when Xelpud mails you to say it's REALLY important to come back now.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Except when Xelpud mails you to say it's REALLY important to come back now.

To be fair, that's not really a CLUE, per say. More like an ongoing study in mental disorders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Xelpud just wants to know how gullible the Player is.

• Locked thread