Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On a completely different note, here's something I was thinking the other day: what's folks' favorite dice rolls from games? This can be resolution mechanic, an effect mechanic, a really cool way to roll on a table or matrix (remember those?), whatever. What's the funnest or most satisfying ways to use dice?

I've always enjoyed the combat mechanic from Axis&Allies, particularly when compared to RISK..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
OK, well, if we're going the easy way and judging board games too, Alien Frontiers and Quantum have pretty great dice mechanics.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I dig the Cortex+ pool o' dice, especially MHR's version. The dicepool and benny economy come together quite nicely.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Math problems aside, I have a soft spot for Savage Worlds.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Thanks to MSW we now have both sessions of Island-Crash on youtube now!

Island-Crash full playlist!

As a note its so weird to actually hear one of our games after the fact. We really are a big bunch of dumb nerds. :downs:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I must use dice I prefer using a specific small set of dice to create a curve, stats conferring additive bonuses to the roll, and static target numbers. Basically how PBTA games work, but not necessarily 2d6 = 6- > 7-9> 10+

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Asymmetrikon posted:

e: Least favorite is any RPG where you roll a thing and add a thing and compare it to a thing

Tollymain posted:

If I must use dice I prefer using a specific small set of dice to create a curve, stats conferring additive bonuses to the roll, and static target numbers.

I think you are my mechanics evil twin.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I like the way ORE's dice look on paper. I've never played with them, but I like the way they look.

I dislike systems where there's a lot of swing. I've seen an amazing number of lovely rolls in PDQ, which really doesn't help when failing rolls leads toward worsening your modifiers.

The worst, frankly, are systems like Shadowrun where target numbers increase on a linear scale, but the exploding rolls you need to make them become more difficult at a much faster rate. On a related note, Old Storyteller's sliding TNs and dice pools made for some amazingly awful math, too.

Percentiles? Meh. One of the many reasons I disliked Eclipse Phase, and one of my biggest annoyances with Call of Cthulhu.

GURPS' 3d6 roll-under has always worked for me, for some reason. I'm used to d20 and its relatives. FUDGE feels like an interesting approach, after the frustrations of PDQ, but I haven't played with it enough to really get a feel for its benefits and shortcomings.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
WFRP3, ORE, Danger Patrol, basically anything where your results come with "ands" or "buts". Ways to put extra oomph into rolls you really care about are also good (which all three of those have).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bieeardo posted:

I like the way ORE's dice look on paper. I've never played with them, but I like the way they look.

I dislike systems where there's a lot of swing. I've seen an amazing number of lovely rolls in PDQ, which really doesn't help when failing rolls leads toward worsening your modifiers.

The worst, frankly, are systems like Shadowrun where target numbers increase on a linear scale, but the exploding rolls you need to make them become more difficult at a much faster rate. On a related note, Old Storyteller's sliding TNs and dice pools made for some amazingly awful math, too.

Percentiles? Meh. One of the many reasons I disliked Eclipse Phase, and one of my biggest annoyances with Call of Cthulhu.

GURPS' 3d6 roll-under has always worked for me, for some reason. I'm used to d20 and its relatives. FUDGE feels like an interesting approach, after the frustrations of PDQ, but I haven't played with it enough to really get a feel for its benefits and shortcomings.

Well latest version of Shadowrun does the same thing as nWoD with a static target number and variable success requirements. This gets rid of the exploding dice problem but I can't say I like the way they redid damage for this system.

As for other systems my favorites are GURPS and Fate, I do particularly like how the average roll on Fate is actually equal to 0 + modifiers, so you have a reasonable way, right off the box, to know if you have a good shot at success. GURPS of course uses a bell curve.

Although I will admit enjoying diceless systems and Tenra.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
WHFRP3 hands down. I like the narrative aspect of the dice, these dice are you, these are your adversity, these reflect the environment etc. I like it because even players who don't get that into roleplaying will start making interesting decisions in the pursuit of certain dice types, and I find the whole group gets really invested in every roll.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Edge of the Empire. For the exact same reasons people love WHFRP3. It's exactly the same, with different symbols (I've been told EotE is a little better, but never played Warhammer)

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

EotE is kind of a mixed bag; you get more symbols to work with in a roll, 'cause there's often 2 to a side, and pretty much every skill is gonna have a unique pool to roll, but I feel like getting rid of the action cards and lumping in results reading into a table made the game a lot more samey (mostly because the bonuses you get for advantage have to be very general to cover any roll); additionally, I liked the way Conservative and Reckless dice had their own unique symbols in WFRP3e.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
WFRP3 and Danger Patrol are also great because the rolls provide so much feedback. In WFRP3 you get to see exactly how much your innate strength vs your your weapon training helped hit that dude, and in Danger Patrol you know whether it was your plasma rifle exploding or failed derring do that caused your aircar to do all those backflips. Much more engaging than a whole bunch of anonymous +1s.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
In general I avoid games that have custom dice but a number of years ago I played a demo of a Mutant Chronicles miniatures game and I remember really liking the dice mechanics (and not much else) it had different colored six sided dice that represented range and power, and they had various numbers of hit symbols on them. The details are kinda fuzzy but I think it might have been a precursor to the EotE system.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bucnasti posted:

In general I avoid games that have custom dice but a number of years ago I played a demo of a Mutant Chronicles miniatures game and I remember really liking the dice mechanics (and not much else) it had different colored six sided dice that represented range and power, and they had various numbers of hit symbols on them. The details are kinda fuzzy but I think it might have been a precursor to the EotE system.

I remember those too, but they probably weren't a precursor, a lot of minis games in the late 80's and 90's used custom 6 siders.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Ya know, after looking at an admittedly-well-made Borderlands hack for Apocalypse/Dungeon World, I can see why some people really like ApocWorld over Dungeon World.

A system as relatively crunch-light as ApocWorld doesn't quite *mesh* 100% with such hard, concrete crunchy concepts as hit points for me.

If I'm going to have hit points, I'm going to want *some* sort of distinctly set-in-stone combat system, for better or for worse. Base ApocWorld's numbers are nice and simple.

The Borderlands hack at least has the decency to have A) random loot drops and vending machines you can get a quick fixer-upper from, B) a pretty robust combat system for a very combat-oriented hack, and C) a nifty system for generating new enemies of all stripes, and D) starting characters that are built like loving tanks---with HP, shields, AND armor---compared to even the Fighter from Dungeon World or the Gunlugger from Apocalypse World.

I think Dungeon World tried to be rules light D&D first and a well-conceived ApocWorld hack second. It's still enjoyable, but at the same time I feel it's been eclipsed at this point.

This came to me while reading Spirit of '77. That's a good hack---it's not too mechanically different from base ApocWorld, but the differences do make it a very different game.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

InfiniteJesters posted:

Ya know, after looking at an admittedly-well-made Borderlands hack for Apocalypse/Dungeon World, I can see why some people really like ApocWorld over Dungeon World.

A system as relatively crunch-light as ApocWorld doesn't quite *mesh* 100% with such hard, concrete crunchy concepts as hit points for me.

If I'm going to have hit points, I'm going to want *some* sort of distinctly set-in-stone combat system, for better or for worse. Base ApocWorld's numbers are nice and simple.

The Borderlands hack at least has the decency to have A) random loot drops and vending machines you can get a quick fixer-upper from, B) a pretty robust combat system for a very combat-oriented hack, and C) a nifty system for generating new enemies of all stripes, and D) starting characters that are built like loving tanks---with HP, shields, AND armor---compared to even the Fighter from Dungeon World or the Gunlugger from Apocalypse World.

I think Dungeon World tried to be rules light D&D first and a well-conceived ApocWorld hack second. It's still enjoyable, but at the same time I feel it's been eclipsed at this point.

This came to me while reading Spirit of '77. That's a good hack---it's not too mechanically different from base ApocWorld, but the differences do make it a very different game.

Do you have a link for thar pbta Borderlands?
I would be all over that!

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Do you have a link for thar pbta Borderlands?
I would be all over that!

http://wreckingballgamelabs.dvd20.org/game-content/No%20Rest.pdf

Cheers, mate!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Bucnasti posted:

In general I avoid games that have custom dice but a number of years ago I played a demo of a Mutant Chronicles miniatures game and I remember really liking the dice mechanics (and not much else) it had different colored six sided dice that represented range and power, and they had various numbers of hit symbols on them.

One of my favorite minis mechanics was from Vor: The Maelstrom, for scatter mechanics: roll a 1d10 for the distance, and then the direction the d10 was pointing in was the direction. It's rare to see a mechanic play off the shape of a die, and I like them the rare times they pop up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I am discovering the Apocalypse Engine for the first time lately, and its amazing. First Sixth World (Shadowrun hack), then Shadowfist, Then Apoc/Dungeon World themselves, and now Spirit of '77 and some weirdo Borderlands hack? This stuff is amazing. Gonna have to read that Borderlands one when I'm done reading '77. :allears:

If only I had a chance to play any of them. :smith:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am discovering the Apocalypse Engine for the first time lately, and its amazing. First Sixth World (Shadowrun hack), then Shadowfist, Then Apoc/Dungeon World themselves, and now Spirit of '77 and some weirdo Borderlands hack? This stuff is amazing. Gonna have to read that Borderlands one when I'm done reading '77. :allears:

Why not run a game at your local group? It might get some of the GMs at it interested in giving it a go.

You can try to convince one of your local GMs to walk on the wild side and run it? It worked for me and Dungeon World.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Don't really have a local group, unfortunately. Most of my gamer friends are only into magic and wargames. I suppose I could try to get some of them interested, but attempts in the past haven't been very successful.

I actually have an online group, but we recently started a new FAE based thing so something else new is unlikely. Plus we've recently been running into nasty scheduling issues and I fear that despite years of playing together, the whole group may break apart (as a roleplaying group anyways) before long.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I will probably be running some open playtests for Spirit of 77 in the near future.

...and if anyone else runs a playtest and sends me some feedback I'll mail you one of these bitchin stickers.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
To me, Spirit of 77 always sounds like something someone would name a bi-plane.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

P.d0t posted:

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. (In the heyday of long-distance air racing, it was common to name an aircraft "Spirit of X," where X was the city it was from or sponsored by.)

That said, I think that logo communicates what the game is about really well.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Or a sports bar.

But what are you going to do, the game is literally about evoking the spirit of the 1970s (because the real 1970s were pretty lovely).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You're a year late for a pinball machine. :v:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Things I have learned recently:

Despite the long, long lists of weaponry and gear, Tenra Bansho Zero is not a murdertrain dungeon crawler game by any stretch of the imagination, and thinking that it is will lead the group to a temporary halt as everyone attempts to recombobulate themselves.

Even if it is a war-themed campaign, the *structure* is less like an RPG and more like...Well, theater.

It's like the laundry list of gear and weapons is more a prop bin than an armory. :v:

It is easy to make my mistake because sweet Jesus there are so many toys and making character sheets for TBZ is easy.

At any rate, everyone involved learned valuable lessons. For anyone reading this, my lesson is this: Tenra Bansho Zero is a helluva game and I highly recommend it, but be warned it's a tad rather idiosyncratic and if you go into it with the wrong expectations you could wind up hating it for not being something it never was in the first place.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 7, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Somebody make a biplane-combat game tia.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Esser-Z posted:

Apparently they ported their page straight out of Geocities and Paint, but here's an RPG.

I played Wings of War: Famous Aces at a con once, it was a blast.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Esser-Z posted:

Warbirds would work for biplanes.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Will check those out! Thanks!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Let me also bang on the FATE drum and say Kriegszeppelin Valkyrie works as well.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Esser-Z posted:

TSR did back in 1972

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gau posted:

Apparently they ported their page straight out of Geocities and Paint, but here's an RPG.

I played Wings of War: Famous Aces at a con once, it was a blast.

Seconding Wings of War if it's a boardgame not an RPG you want. The only biplane game I've ever played that gets the Sopwith Camel right - able to turn much faster one way than the other.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Talkc posted:

Thanks to MSW we now have both sessions of Island-Crash on youtube now!

Island-Crash full playlist!

As a note its so weird to actually hear one of our games after the fact. We really are a big bunch of dumb nerds. :downs:

I don't know what that is, but you are welcome!

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I don't know what that is, but you are welcome!
He's talking about our other MSW, MadScientistWorking.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

ImpactVector posted:

He's talking about our other MSW, MadScientistWorking.

Ostensibly the bad MSW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So has anyone heard of Stab City? It's some RPG that started up a while ago on kickstarter. I had a friend back it but haven't heard back from them about it yet. Is it any good?

• Locked thread