Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So has anyone heard of Stab City? It's some RPG that started up a while ago on kickstarter. I had a friend back it but haven't heard back from them about it yet. Is it any good?

I backed it. No update since October 29th, so...couldn't tell ya! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

psychopomp posted:

Could I get some recommendations for good actual-play podcasts/videos? Any systems are fine, though *World or Fate would be extra-fine.

I've been listening to the podcast One Shot and it's pretty great; comedians playing tabletop games. They start with Pathfinder, but move on to other systems rather quickly. They do Dungeon World (twice!), Fiasco, Edge of the Empire, and lots of other stuff.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm still pretty surprised that nobody's made a sci-fi PbtA game yet.

Speaking of DW, I started listening to the One Shots podcast today, where they were playing DW and holy poo poo I need to up my GMing game.

The One Shots podcast is a great example of GMs playing fast and loose with the rule systems to make for a more interesting story.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

I've never heard of queer storygames before. What are some good ones?

Monsterhearts is probably the best.

The same person, Joe McDaldno, also made a free game called Dream Askew that's meant to be a queer-focused GM-less Apocalypse World, but ehhhh, I didn't like it as much.

EDIT:

Davin Valkri posted:

Also Hot Guys Making Out...

Hahahaha. My friend has a copy of that. I keep meaning to do a F&F of it.

Spincut fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 24, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

palecur posted:

For reference, they're going by Avery nowadays, the change was...a few months ago? I don't remember exactly when, but fairly recently. Rookvale (described by McDaldno as 'grimdark Pokemon') has six genders available for players, has some pretty cool card-based mechanics, and I'm probably running it at a con in October.

But yeah, Monsterhearts is amazing. Everyone should take a look.

Ah okay. Saw they went by Avery on Twitter and wasn't sure if that was an "official" change or not. Good to know, thanks.

Also yeah, Rookvale looks awesome. It's also free, as it was released from his Patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

GodFish posted:

Thanks for the quick feedback, I thought of Dungeon World but I figured it was more character interaction focused like the other *world games I've seen are. That'll teach me to write something off before I read it :v: I'll probably go with Dungeon World, but Scarlet Heroes looks pretty cool too. Some of those adventure guidelines should be useful even if I don't use it.

Scarlet Heroes is good to look at to pick out solo/small-group mechanics even if you decide to go with DW in the end. There are a lot of cool things that ease potential problems (like avoiding player death).

The idea of doing a Baldur's Gate-type thing sounds really awesome, actually. You can start by having the GM control the companions, then make like one-sheet playbooks for the player to use if they want more control.

Hmm...

• Locked thread