Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
TAM were a good gym before and will be a good gym after Ludwig leaves, but before Ludwig all of them sucked out loud at striking and I suspect much the same will be true afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

mewse posted:

This is exactly how I feel, it's like the media are trying to make this A Story and Faber's trying to remind them that TAM was a gym before Ludwig and remains a gym post-Ludwig.

Good coaches are good coaches, but Duane isn't the modern miracle that the media were trying to say he is.

The only douchey thing in Faber's comments were when he seemed to be trying to downplay Duane's contribution, but I feel like he was sorta pushed into it by the narrative the reporters are trying to build about the situation.

Faber is a fighter, he's not going to sit around and say "welp we better close TAM now that duane ludwig is gone," he's going to focus on what's next

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But what's the alternative? Telling the media they're losing the key piece of last years success over what sounds like pretty benign circumstances and they're all super worried about it?

To me it just sounds like they couldn't finalize a deal that would make Duane move all his poo poo to Sacramento and they amicably said aggh dangit and are trying to move on.

Edit: Or what mewse said

So team alpha males fans are rationalizing this as well

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
[sobbing] WHAT DO YOU EXPECT HIM TO SAY?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Our gym has suffered irreparable harm. We will never win fights again. *commits ritual seppuku at press conference*

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

mewse posted:

Our gym has suffered irreparable harm. We will never win fights again. *commits ritual seppuku at press conference*

Wouldn't the TAM version of this be jumping into a boiling vat of bronzer?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Bundt Cake posted:

So team alpha males fans are rationalizing this as well

I'm actually a really really big fan of their no title streak and in particular Fabers' loss to Mike Brown that started it all. I just figure if there really was bad blood someone would've bitched about it in public by now. Guess I'm jumping the gun calling it an amicable split, it just doesn't sound like anything really bad.

In reality I'm trying to gun for a herb defender style AV replacement with Danny Castillo.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
I was bored so I found some MMA threads from 2003-2006:

2003-11-06 - [MMA] Let's talk about the Nov. 9th PRIDE GrandPrix
2004-01-31 - [MMA] UFC 46 Tonight (1/31)
2004-02-28 - [MMA]Official PRIDE FC Discussion Thread, now with 50% more Fedor.
2004-04-03 - [K1} Tyson to fight Sapp?
2004-06-27 - [MMA] Apparently, Sapp is done.
2004-11-11 - Pride 28
2005-05-21 - [MMA] Can anyone explain the lack of Kung Fu in MMA?
2005-06-28 - How lethal is UFC?
2005-08-06 - UFC Ultimate Fight Night on Spike RIGHT NOW - 8/6/05
2005-08-12 - UFC 54 Boiling Point predictions and thoughts
2005-08-23 - Ultimate Fighter 2 - Mondays at 11:00 PM
2005-10-04 - UFC is all like HOLD PUNCH free fight night
2005-10-24 - [MMA]Official PRIDE FC Discussion Thread 2: "Please Fedor, Don't Hurt Em"
2005-11-11 - UFC 56: Nate Quarry death watch + Cuommo and Imes get contracts
2006-01-17 - Royce Gracie to come back to UFC to fight Matt Hughes
2006-01-20 - UFC 57: Liddell vs Couture 3 discussion and predictions
2006-02-21 - UFC 58 - Yanks vs Canuks
2006-04-07 - The Ultimate Fighter - Season 3 - Shamrock's nose is nauseating
2006-04-15 - UFC 59 - Reality Check PPV TONIGHT!
2006-05-04 - [MMA]Official PRIDE FC Discussion Thread 3: "I think Aleks is drunk again."
2006-05-27 - UFC 60 - Hughes vs. Gracie!
2006-06-12 - The Ultimate Fighter Season 3 - Version 2 - Basketball Head Coaches Better
2006-06-24 - The Ultimate Fighter Season 3 - Final Edition
2006-06-27 - General UFC/MMA Discussion - Please Tito, Don't Hurt Me! - Ken
2006-07-07 - UFC 61/MMA Discussion - Whoa There Tito, Lay Off The Elbows!
2006-07-14 - Official PRIDE FC Discussion Thread 4: Sleepy, slighty chubby Russians
2006-07-15 - UFC Discussion Edition 3 - Please No More Tito vs. Ken
2006-07-20 - WFA Excitement Thread : Rampage, Lyoto, Bas, am I in heaven?
2006-08-18 - UFC/TUF Discussion Edition 4 - Tito Vs. Ken III: Loser Retires
2006-08-27 - UFC 62 Fight Night Thread. Babalu? More like Babalose, am I right?
2006-08-27 - UFC/TUF Discussion Edition 5 - Tito Gets Herpes From Jenna
2006-09-20 - Official PRIDE Discussion Thread 5: From Russia with Love
2006-09-24 - UFC 63 - Hughes vs. Penn, Swick vs. Loiseau, Rashad vs. Consciousness
2006-10-13 - UFC 64: Unstoppable, starring Jim Carrey and Ben Stiller
2006-10-15 - UFC Discussion Edition 6 - American Fighter, Brazilian Nose Job

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Droopy Goines posted:

2004-06-27 - [MMA] Apparently, Sapp is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CpPJmmC2XU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i miss ain caff and ed a lot

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

This is neat. I happened to stumble upon the thread of Anderson Silva's debut against Leben and the reaction is just as good as it should be.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
ains troll about hughes v gracie was loving golden

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

caffeinefree posted:

Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie
I see Gracie neutralizing Matt's offense, and with the exception of a slam here and an elbow there, it'll be a yawn-fest. The only way Gracie pulls this out is if he goes balls out Hallman style, but he probably doesn't have the strength that Superman does so it's not gonna happen. Maybe Ryan can stab Matt, or something

A man ahead of his time.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i don't want to look back on the time when i fell for the fedor con. but rip ain and caffeinefree.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

TAM were a good gym before and will be a good gym after Ludwig leaves, but before Ludwig all of them sucked out loud at striking and I suspect much the same will be true afterwards.

Well it's not like they're just going to forget what he taught them. Maybe they'll find a non possum catching weirdo to teach them. What about that semi drunk French guy gsp brought on TUF that time. He seems like a good fit.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPWnsQsUxNo

Guess which herbs make an appearance in the documentary "Fight Church".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
caff was a fun poster. w00bi was and is an idiot.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
DeadEd still posts about hockey every now and then and he still manages to get every single thing wrong.

The greatest moment in forums history was when someone found deadeds sherdog account with like 50k posts or whatever

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Also this is from several pages but: cocksparrer

Bell the Cat
Apr 5, 2004

Dirty pool old man. I like it.

Xguard86 posted:

Well it's not like they're just going to forget what he taught them. Maybe they'll find a non possum catching weirdo to teach them. What about that semi drunk French guy gsp brought on TUF that time. He seems like a good fit.

I hear Spencer Fisher is available.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Droopy Goines posted:

2005-05-21 - [MMA] Can anyone explain the lack of Kung Fu in MMA?

Did someone just reply "it sucks" and then gas the thread?
e- I don't have archives

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
no but the thread sucks. Only two posts:

quote:

I dont think its so much that Kung-Fu is not suited for MMA, just that Boxing/Muay Thai striking is a lot more useful. Style amounts to absolutely nothing.

There's also the fact that purists basically can't compete in MMA anymore...you need to be able to branch out into other styles that compensate for your weakness...just being a BJJ master or a Kickboxing master isn't enough by itself anymore.

The last thing is that there isnt really huge money in MMA...certainly not in North America, anyway. Add that with the fact that there would be very little 'tradition' involved since none of the big organizations are all that old, and there's not a lot of reason to step up unless you really really really want to.

quote:

In karate tournaments aren't the competitors just trying to land strikes, not with power? I don't know a lot about kung fu but the capability of landing strikes isn't as important as striking power in MMA. There were kung fu guys in the beginning of the sport, and while perhaps someone could be competitive and incorporate some kung fu, basically if you get too fancy in MMA, the muay thai/boxers will just blaze right at you and knock you out

The "no money in MMA" and "maybe someone will use traditional styles one day" posts are kind of funny looking back.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Urijah Faber spent the last year performing verbal fellatio on Ludwig every chance he got. Then Ludwig leaves and all of the sudden he wasn't that important to begin with. Yeah, sure.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
What do you expect him to say. Sorry all but were going to lose fights now sorry to our fans.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Deadspin saying someone will die if MMA does not change.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Urijah Faber spent the last year performing verbal fellatio on Ludwig every chance he got. Then Ludwig leaves and all of the sudden he wasn't that important to begin with. Yeah, sure.

I always thought it was weird how hyped up Ludwig was during any TAM fights by Rogan and (especially) Goldberg. They were all (other than Kyacyayeye) awesome fighters to begin with and Ludwig was never that great in the UFC. I know that's not necessarily that important as to how he performed as a coach, but I've never seen a washed out UFC fighter hyped up so much as a coach. If it was Sonnen then I would believe it, but that's only because we've seen how good he is as a coach on TUF.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

actually everyone's going to die regardless of change because we're all going to die :(

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Don't waste your time clicking the link. It's Deadspin's usual troll poo poo on mma that makes your eyes roll.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ariza posted:

I always thought it was weird how hyped up Ludwig was during any TAM fights by Rogan and (especially) Goldberg. They were all (other than Kyacyayeye) awesome fighters to begin with and Ludwig was never that great in the UFC. I know that's not necessarily that important as to how he performed as a coach, but I've never seen a washed out UFC fighter hyped up so much as a coach. If it was Sonnen then I would believe it, but that's only because we've seen how good he is as a coach on TUF.

TAM wouldn't shut up about how great Ludwig was as their head coach and it bled through to Mike and Joe.

What does a coach's athletic accomplishments have to do with his quality as a coach? Tell me how being athletically gifted helps someone teach technique and strategy.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yeah, I just watched a TJ interview after the Barao fight was announced and he spent a good chunk of it talking about how awesome Bang was and how this will be the last TAM fight that he's head coaching and it'll be good to see him end his time there with a belt (lol). Pretty sure those dudes loved Bang as their coach.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i don't remember who said it here. but sometimes dudes who were average at the elite level of a sport make amazing coaches because they worked very hard to get to that level and in turn have great grasps on fundamentals and the building blocks for developing skills and what not and can teach them well because they worked for it in a way a natural didn't

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

and thats why jon jones lost the picking up and stacking tires construction machine challenge to sonnen

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

maybe ludwig will come out for the end of camps and form strategy/corner them or they could go to him or something idk that seems possible it's not like he said "I'm done with you all!" and took the possum as a final gently caress you

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

maffew buildings posted:

and thats why jon jones lost the picking up and stacking tires construction machine challenge to sonnen

The only thing keeping that entire season from being perfect and pure is Chael's loss. Just hours upon hours of video of Jones and Jones related fighters getting clowned left and right.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Chael Sonnen admits that he mostly parrots stuff he heard his head trainers say and do for him. He brings his own experiences but a lot of what you see/hear from a guy like Sonnen is stuff he got from other guys. Meanwhile Ludwig has his own ideas about coaching and running a gym which is why he wanted to leave TAM eventually to do his own thing. Faber has been running Team Alpha Male for over a decade so he isn't going to fully turn the team/system over to another dude easily, especially one that doesn't tan very well like Ludwig.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The thing you have to remember about Faber is he's kind of a carny. He is a tireless promoter and seems to really value motivation and positive thought. He's going to naturally promote whatever situation arises and give it a spin that makes himself and his team seem better off. When Ludwig is there and getting attention it makes sense to build him up even bigger, when it is time for him to move on, you have to minimize his impact to keep your guys motivated and people interested in training with the team.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It ruled that bang taught alpha male his secret technique of "get brutally knocked out"

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

david carmichael posted:

It ruled that bang taught alpha male his secret technique of "get brutally knocked out"

Another reason why Chad$ is the alphaest male

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Joke's on them someone died like a week ago.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

david carmichael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfur3NxUDh8 In which this technique is on full display against a one-armed Ramon Dekkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i've got the ingredients for Jardine's awful coffee, if i try it i will let you guys know how bad it makes me throw up

from the effect he described it just sounds like someone spiked his coffee with crushed up ampthetamines though

• Locked thread