Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Kenichi Saito

"On fire," Saito responds, showing Eniwa Minobe's text. "We might be dealing with someone or something... unconventional."

He sends a message back to Keiko:

Explaining more could put you at risk. Sorry.

and hesitates, before adding:

I'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven-and-ten
Jul 31, 2013

Addition is hard
Katashi Soga - Ichiro's Car

Katashi nods agreement with Ichiro's suggestion.

"There's certainly some kind of ploy going on here. Whether they just want to keep us moving or there's something more to it is another question, but I don't think it was to facilitate an ambush, at least not directly."

Katashi takes his phone out and begins texting.

"Although it wouldn't be hard to predict that I'd call everyone to the fish market, so I'll make sure we're ready for violence there."

-----

To:: Yanasaki
"on way."
"possible that inagawa may intend to attack market."
"make sure everyone is armed and ready to move."

----

Katashi looks up at Noboru from his phone.

"You'd better decide quickly, or you're going to be wearing that bathrobe all day. As pretty as you are in it, I'd rather you wore something a little more professional."

Streetwise 12: Knowledge of local Inagawa-kai territory and operations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Haruo and Tailor

Mr. Haruo keeps a very nice little shop, and he greets Tanaka quite cordially. He also doesn’t blink an eye at Noboru’s state of dress- he politely pretends it’s totally normal for a man in a bathrobe to show up looking for something to wear. Once Noboru makes it clear speed is important, Mr. Haruo focuses his efforts on helping pick out something that’s a pretty good fit instead of something that can be altered quickly.

PythagoreanCup deduct $300 from your cash and add another status 1 outfit to your inventory.

Tokyo Fish Market Offices

Eniwa nods at Kenichi. “Yes, we got a similar text about it from Mr. Soga. I heard of the Inagawa using fire before, to commit insurance fraud, but against an occupied residential building? There’s no honor in doing something like that. If their new boss really did authorize it, it bodes ill.“

Kenichi’s phone chirps. Another text from Keiko: Fine. Going to visit a friend. In Hakodate.

Which means she’s taking the train.

Cardinal Ximenez, deduct $500 from your cash funds. Keiko helped herself to that much to buy a train card and load it.

=========================================================================================

Yanasaki’s phone buzzes, and he glances at it. He barks out a quick order, “Ariwara, there’s a roof access ladder through the closet back there, get up there and keep an eye out for trouble. Call if you see anything unusual.”

Ariwara nods and hurries off.

No one says anything about Melissa being in the room; in fact it seemed like they all pretended she wasn’t there, once Taka and Minobe made it clear she was supposed to be along. They were polite enough, but they weren’t going out of their way to make introductions.

=========================================================================================

A few minutes later Katashi and Noboru arrive and enter the conference room, flanked by Tanaka and Ogai. The soldiers all stand and bow to the Soga underbosses before taking a seat again.

All eyes are on Katashi Soga, waiting to see what he has to say.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 25, 2014

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Katashi nods at his subordinates and associates, and says, "Good morning everyone. This has not been-"

He gasps and clutches his chest, a look of pure agony on his face as he collapses. There's confusion, someone yelling to call a doctor, Noboru at his friend's side trying to help him.

Katashi convulses on the floor, breathing raggedly for a few seconds, and then not at all.

Minobe says, "Is he carrying? Get his gun off before the ambulance arrives."

Eniwa is already pulling the senior yakuza's holster off. He says, "Someone help me with CPR. Yanasaki, do compressions!"

Yanasaki complies, apparently he knows first aid. He and Eniwa do their best for the few minutes it takes for the paramedics to arrive and take over. Soon enough they've put Katashi's body, his skin blue from lack of oxygen, on a stretcher and have hauled him away to the hospital.

Fifteen minutes after the meeting was originally called to order, the chaos has settled a bit. The few curious office workers who watched the little drama unfold have returned to their work, and the yakuza members are all seated around the table again, jumpy and anxious from the unexpected tragedy.

Seven-and-ten, you're a cool player, but you've been out of touch well past your estimated time to get back to us for days now. The game's been at a standstill and I have to keep it moving. Talk to me on IRC when you get a chance and we'll figure out what to do about your character.

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013
Ichiro
"I can see we are all uneasy about who should take command of our operation after Katashi's sudden passing. But this death, coming just on the heels of the fire reveals to us that either our enemies wish to destroy us through subterfuge or that fate itself has turned against us. But either way, this is a clear sign that we should act now." Ichiro says to the gathering. "fortune, after all, favours the bold."
Ichiro runs one hand through his hair to put a few stray hairs back in their place.
"Forgive me for speaking out of turn, but someone had to break the ice, so to speak. What we should do now is decide immediate specifics. What information did we get in the last 12 or so hours?"

BuBuBear
May 9, 2009
Taka Jō - Tokyo Fish Market Offices

Taka exhales deeply. It all happened so quickly, and without warning.

Katashi Soga, the one heading up this operation, the one he was trying to impress and hopefully rise in renown in the Soga died, and there was nothing he could do about it.
He watched the regular members do their work, they did it well, he doesn't think he could done better himself, but the fact that he could do nothing still pained him.
At the very least, he would continue to carry out his mission.

Ichiro Tanaka was speaking, trying to restore some order to the proceedings, ever the man of action.

"My team, that is Naomi-san, Mayfield-san and I, spent the night preparing to delay and frustrate the efforts of the Inagawa, as is our charge. The first target is Yasujiro Yukinaga-san and we will be moving against him later today, we would be doing so now had this emergency meeting not been called. After that I will be conducting surveillance on the prime targets to get a better idea of what can be done without alarming them."

Taka scans the room and then addresses Noboru-san, bowing slightly as he begins
"Noboru-san, if you can provide the electronic assistance you offered last night to assist us against Yasujirou, it would be much appreciated. Call intercepting and...webnet interception would make this run all the more smoothly"

GTD, not sure whats going on there, but Taka wouldn't leave anybody he just met in his home alone, Yakuza or non-Yakuza, unless it was a dire matter. If you didn't actually come with on the taxi ride then you'll have to find somewhere else to wait, not in the Tattoo Parlour. Sorry for any confusion

PythagoreanCup
Jul 31, 2013

Widely regarded as a bad move.
Noboru Soga

A cornerstone of Noboru's world crumbled before his eyes. As Katashi collapsed Noboru struggled to help him, but there was so little he could do, so little that could be done. As Katashi was struggling to breath they had removed his tie, Noboru still clutched it in a hand. He could only barely stop himself from forcing the paramedics to allow him on board the ambulance. He was of use to no one sitting in a hospital waiting room, Katashi least of all.

All there is to do is to turn himself towards the task at hand. He forces himself to swallow down the emotion, but his gaze lingers on the spot where Katashi toppled over before he raises a hand to halt conversation and looks to Ichiro.

"There should be no unease." Noboru speaks with an air of finality. "I am in charge of this meeting. Once we have discussed plans I will contact Boss Soga and he will provide us with further instructions, and, if need be, send an appropriate candidate to take command."

"As for my part, there is nothing to offer any of you have not heard. Our apartment complex caught fire on the opposite side from our own, we were forced to flee. Everything of importance is safe and before I slept I managed to produce these." Noboru reaches into his suitcase and slides the bugs across the table. "But for now we will need to make more aggressive measures, it will not be long before they hear of Katashi's heart attack. We will not show the Inagawa anything less than the underside of our heels."

Public Speaking 12

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

With both Noboru and Ichiro taking things back in hand, the soldiers settle down. There is a general atmosphere of agreement when Noboru speaks about putting the Inagawa in their place; lots of nods and approving expressions from most of the soldiers.

Minobe volunteers, "I have arranged to borrow an office in a building that is going through renovation. It should give us enough privacy for the plan to ambush the Inagawa men we lure there. It's not far from here. As long as everyone is ready, I can do my part tonight."

Eniwa adds, "It's not related to the Inagawa, but everyone's taken care of all the customers you assigned us, Mr. Soga. They've all agreed to pay up, and some have already gotten their payments in."

The customers being the blackmail victims picked out at the general meeting yesterday, of course.

Noboru got a good result from his little speech.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 16, 2014

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013
Ichiro
"May I supervise this ambush, Noboru-san? You know my skills and I personally wish to make sure we capture some of the men alive for some conversation." Ichiro says. He looks Noboru directly in the eyes, raising one eyebrow at the last word, making for perhaps the least subtle insinuation at torure. Should I take out my knife and twirl it in my hand? Ichiro thinks, but decides against it, too crass.

Ekkerates fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 17, 2014

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Tokyo Fish Market Offices

----discontinuity---

What the hell was that? For a long moment Naomi felt as if she was--trapped inbetween, somewhere, somehow. She'd been in Taka's apartment, and she thought she'd been staying there when Taka left, then the fish market had risen around her and Katashi collapsed, dead in front of her, holy crap he's really dead, she's never seen anyone DIE like that before--

She blinked and tried to focus herself. The things that lack of sleep could do to a person. All she could do was try to take what had happened and move beyond.

"We've made progress on the letter project," she said. "I think we're ready to go."

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Melissa Mayfield

Is out of it at the moment. Probably bad sushi + depression living in Japan. Will be active after the latest scene is done or a slap to the back of the head!

PythagoreanCup
Jul 31, 2013

Noboru Soga
Noboru listens calmly to each speaker, hands resting on the arms of his chair. He first looks to Ichiro, responding to the most senior of the speakers. "You may, but I will have final say on the ultimate fate of any captives. Minobe, do make sure Ichiro's...questions...are handled with care and discretion. We must be precise.".

He turns from Ichiro to Katashi's men...now his own men for the time being "Eniwa, what of the debtor we were informed of by the fishing boat captain? Did any of our other clients have any information about him? And do tell me when all of the debts have been paid, we will have to respond to the stragglers with a firm grip. No one may be allowed to think us weak in this moment. For now I need half your number to assist in the ambush. Several hammers if you will. I wish to see one or two scalpels work on discovering the fate of Norie Gensai. They need not delve too deep, I only require them to do basic footwork. Follow the case, retrace the police investigation's steps."

In respect to the order of things he responds to Taka Jō last, taking a more relaxed position in his seat "Taka Jō, you have my assistance. The equipment I have lain forth is at your disposal. I will forward you a secure line of contact, send me word when you are ready to begin your operation, but be aware I will be indisposed for several hours after this meeting. I have matters of grave importance to attend to and for this to succeed you will need my direct attention."

He pauses for a moment and then turns to speak to Kenichi Saito, the only other man in the room who could challenge his position at the table, but who has been oddly silent. "Saito, I would like to see you carry on with your previous orders. The Patriotic Society is in a precarious position and are at an even greater risk of turning their cloaks against us now. We must keep them in our grasp and even more, prevent further spread of certain dark secrets from breaking out and destroying them. Speak to them, gain the trust of the key players, go to their client operations. If you require any assets they will be provided to you."

Noboru looks out at the table, taking stake of the situation, awaiting any responses. Time is ticking, the meeting can not go on forever, he has a very important call to make.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Eniwa looks a little bewildered. "The captain's debtor? Who was in charge of that one?"

Yanasaki stands briefly. "Mr. Soga asked myself and Nakadai to look for Gwak Min Seong. We asked around at the docks, and learned he likes to gamble quite a bit. He has some associates, sailors mostly, who claimed he'd said he was skipping town. I think he lied to them; if we were to check the mahjong rooms the Patriotic Society and the Inagawa run, we might catch him."

The men seem generally bewildered at the mention of Norie Gensai. Ogai whispers to Nitta, "Who is she supposed to be?" Nitta hisses back, "Missing girl, don't you watch television?"

Eniwa at least seems to understand who you're talking about, and says, "I'll look into her myself, sir."

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Kenichi Saito

He's flustered. It is getting bad very fast if you are hoping that this is the work of a rival clan rather than a vast supernatural conspiracy spanning multiple planes of existence.

"I'm on it."

BuBuBear
May 9, 2009

"Thank you Noboru san, I will call you when we have entered the final stages."

With his report over Taka leans back and allows the meeting to proceed, only speaking in response to questions directed at him.

------------------------------

As the meeting breaks up, Taka gently shakes Melissa awake (if she remains asleep) and approaches cousin Minobe.

"Cousin Minobe, sorry to be approaching you with work matters so soon after this tragedy, but the Inagawa won't allow us any time to mourn. Do you or any of your men know any electricians or power company men that are friendly to our organization? I have need of a man who can disable the power to the Indulgence club either tomorrow or later this evening. I figure that even if the bill doesn't catch Yasujiro's attention immediately, his club in darkness surely will pull his personal attention."

After his business with Minobe is concluded Taka returns to his teammates, deep in thought.

"Alright, this tragic incident changes much, but some remains the same. I plan to get this letter delivered as soon as possible, we should still be able to catch the mail carrier on his route if we move quickly. Mayfield san, are you free to act as an information gatherer? It should be less suspect to have a 'confused foreigner' asking strange questions about what routes the mail carriers take through that district."

Taka waits for her reply, and then turns to Naomi

"Naomi san, will you accompany me or do you have something else in mind? Katashi san's untimely death has delayed our operation somewhat as we cannot count on Noboru's support until later, or perhaps tomorrow. I plan to conduct some surveillance of the Inagawa movements for the next few hours, though this might be a good time to catch some sleep. The next side of the ruse is Mayfield san's anyway. Hopefully they will slip up and reveal another opportunity to delay them"

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Taka has a short conversation with Minobe and learns that he knows an electrician, one of the regulars at the pachinko parlor, who would probably be willing to do a little moonlighting in exchange for pachinko credits. He figures ¥40,000 would cover it; so long as Taka can either cover that or convince Noboru that it was a necessary expense so he'll cover it, there's no problem.

If you pay for it out of pocket, deduct $400 from your sheet.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Tokyo Fish Market Offices

Naomi nods to Taka. After how confused everything had seemed--even more so with Katashi's death--it was welcome to find things settling back into familiar patterns.

"Certainly, I can come with you."

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melissa Mayfield --- Tokyo Fish Market Offices

"I shall do my part, a small part where I am merely a commodity. One that can easily be replaced if I do not do my part."

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

As the soldiers are filing out to get started on their assigned tasks, some of them overhear Melissa's comment and laugh politely.

BuBuBear
May 9, 2009

Taka pauses at Melissa's statement, he would like to say something to cheer her up but...well she's right.

"Alright then, you two meet me out by the road, we'll catch another taxi to that post office and see if we can catch the man before he leaves, or at least before he hits the Indulgence. I need to say one more thing to Noboru san"

With that Taka heads over to catch Noboru's ear before he leaves, sliding a word in edgewise when he can.
"Noboru san, our operation is going to begin it's first stages now and I've requested the help of a power company man to blackout the Indulgence club. He has requested a fee however, a small matter of 40,000 yen. Can I assume that the Soga will cover the cost?"

After receiving the reply, Taka bows and heads out to meet the ladies at the road, catching a Taxi to the post office that serves the area the club is in. Two taxi's in one day... he wallet would certainly take note of this opulence.

------------------

Taka gets out of the taxi and pays for the ride, one block away from the post office.

"Alright, Mayfield san, you're up. Find out who is responsible for this district and what route they take. Use whatever method seems best to you. If you have to grease a few palms...well do so discreetly "
Taka takes a few moments to go over some basics about the area with Melissa before allowing her to go to the post office and get the info they need and then sets up by a nearby wall to wait till she returns.

Area Knowledge: Tokyo rank 14

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melissa Mayfield -- Heading to the Post Office

"I shall do my part to ensure that I am a functional cog by visiting the machinery of government who is responsible for delivering the mail," Melissa smiles wryly, getting out of the taxicab, then peeks back at Taka. "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this courier from the completion of their appointed task."

Melissa waves back at Taka before turning around to head to the post office, happy to let go of whatever was bugging her at this present moment.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Post Office

The familiar herald of the post office, a "T" with a bar over it, is stenciled on the window of the building Melissa enters. The front is mostly for customers; self-serve postage stamp machines, scales, package deposit points, and a small service desk staffed by an attentive employee. As luck would have it, it's not very busy today. The employee isn't occupied with anyone else. As she approaches the counter, the employee asks, "How can I help you ma'am?"

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melissa Mayfield - AT THE POST OFFICE

"Yes yes yes," Melissa energetically replies, adding a mixture of bubbliness, friendliness, and a bit of an accent. "Oh my God, Japan, I love it! Everything about this place is efficient, courteous, and outstanding." Melissa slides forward to smile widely at the employee across the desk "Going to a different place is an adventure and the mail? Do you fine gentlemen also have the motto "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."?

Fast Acting 14

[23:24] <TellBot> Amyl: 8 (3d6=6, 1, 1)

Score!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Post Office

The employee explains that the postal office has a corporate slogan that is multifaceted, with the words being interpretable in multiple ways to mean, "We intend to demonstrate the creation of new value services by providing peace of mind through constantly changing with the times, even after privatization of our organization is complete."

Melissa asks, "New value services? I can commend my postal carrier personally face to face for the wonderful service that he is doing?"

Melissa blushes shyly, lowering her head slightly to whisper loudly, "I have to admit my interest is all due to Kevin Costner. You know, The Postman, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham and oh wow, so much more. It is all silly but who is the postman who delivers to my district and the route they take so I can take back memories of my time in Japan back to America and tell everyone how the Japanese post office is much more amazing that the United States Post Office?"

She lays it on well enough that the employee believes her. He smiles, and decides to help her out. Melissa gives him the information for the general block the target lives on, and the employee comments, "Oh that's a nice neighborhood. Yes, I know which carrier delivers there- but keep in mind he's a married man, miss."

Was he teasing her for the last bit? The body language is right.

With a little more small talk Melissa has the post man's name and likely route, as well as when he usually arrives back at the office, ostensibly so that she can "coincidentally" bump into him.

Melissa made her second acting roll with ease there, and succeeded at a body language roll to realize when the employee made up his mind that she was harmless and probably easy enough to help. The subsequent reaction roll was good enough for him to give her the information.

We ended up doing this little scene on IRC, mostly.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Melissa Mayfield -- Heading out of the Post Office

Melissa smiles back at the worker behind the service desk before turning around and heading out of the post office.

Alright, I got a piece, now I wonder how we can make it work? Also, good thing you didn't say Waterworld or else you would have made an rear end of yourself. Heh.

ooc: Ok, we got it, now the next part!

PythagoreanCup
Jul 31, 2013

Noboru Soga

*Beep*

Noboru moves his phone from his ear and places it on the table before burying his face in his hands. He had called Kakashi's wife, Kakashi was dead. There was a naive hope, somewhere, that he would survive despite what was seen, but there was no such grand fortune. With a heavy heart Noboru reaches for his phone again, he must, it falls to him now, he dials Boss Soga's phone number.

*Ring*
*Ring*
*Ring*
*Ri-*

DATA REDACTED

Shortly thereafter Taka Jō interrupts, asking for funds to complete his project.

"Yes, we can cover the costs." he waves the tattoo artist off, staring at his phone patiently after the man leaves the room.

*Ring*

There it is, there's the call, he picks up the phone and-

DATA REDACTED

The appointments made, plans in place, Noboru dials his phone yet again, this time for Taka Jō.

*Ring*

"Yes, this is me"
"Taka Jō, it is Noboru Soga. You are still in the company of Miss Mayfield and Aoshima, yes?"
Taka immediately straightens up, putting out his cigarette "Ah, Soga san. Mayfield san is on task at the moment, but she is close by. We are mostly together yes"
"Good. I require all three of you as well as your cousin Minobe tonight. You are to meet me at <ADDRESS> by 9pm. Yes, the temple. It is imperative you do not draw your weapons."
"Very well, Soga san. I will inform the ladies. We will be there"
"Excellent."

*Beep*

BuBuBear
May 9, 2009
Taka Jō - Outside the post office

Taka puts the half smoked cigarette away for a later time and stows his cell phone is his pocket. Being at the temple tonight would mean the mission would be left unmonitored for some time, but what could he do?

Taka beckons over Melissa as he sees her leave the post office
"Good timing, I just got a call from Noboru Soga san. We'll have to meet him at the Temple at <Address> at 9pm tonight. No weapons drawn, he says. Plan may change a bit, but for now we'll continue as we were."

Taka gets the needed info from Melissa, a smile creeping across his face
"Good work Mayfield-san, you acquired way more information than expected. With this finding him will be easy."

Once he has the information, Taka leads them through what is likely unfamiliar turf for both of them, following the directions he'd received though Melissa till they find the mail carrier.

-----------------------

Once they find the man, Taka approaches him and broaches the topic of him delivering the letter. It's on his way and isn't going to get him in any trouble at all. A generous tip and hush money should smooth things over.

Area knowledge (Tokyo) 14
Steetwise 13

(sorry for the wait, I've been swamped)

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013
Ichiro
"Noboru, do you want me at the temple tonight?" Ichiro asks the soga, now, superior officer.

-------

Ichiro picks up his phone and looks through his contacts and scans his own mind for reliable soga men and associates that have wetwork experience.

Streetwise 11

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Tokyo

Taka has no trouble guessing where the postman is on his route, and manages to intercept the man politely.

He explains he has some letters he forgot to put in the post, and that it's important they get to the right addresses today. No trouble at all. There'd even be a tip for the extra work.

The mailman looks dubiously at the envelopes Taka has in hand. His gaze flicks to Taka's breast pocket, and then back to Taka's face. "I can take them but I have to put them through the post system like any other parcel, sir. It'd be a day at least, maybe two."

It occurs to Taka that the man is probably hoping to get a glance at the money envelope containing the bribe before committing to this.

BuBuBear I'd hoped to catch you on IRC to clear it up, but how much are you putting toward that bribe?

Cardinal Ximenez how is Kenichi going to go about carrying out his orders? If he does, that is. You could always defy Noboru and do something else. I don't care. He might.

Steady soldiers are one thing. All the men that had been under Katashi direct command had seen some sort of violence before and been involved in rough stuff. Any of them would be useful in this ambush that Katashi had planned.

But killers, men who had that right combination of duty, skill, and battle hardened nerves to take a life and not get caught- they're always in shorter supply.

Ha Joon Gye, one of the men in the room, had it. He was intelligent, cool in a bad situation, and had worked with with Ichiro before. One incident in particular comes to mind: Gye had been willing to help dispose of a man who had needed to disappear, a newspaper writer who had been causing a great deal of grief and would not take polite hints to let the matter of who was renting the overpriced vacation homes in the Kitano region of Kobe owned by suspected Yakuza rest. While normally such an annoyance wouldn't merit an assassination, the rentals were being used to funnel blackmail money into the Soga coffers legally. If the names of the people renting them had become public, it would have been embarrassing and could have led to potential legal problems for both the people being blackmailed and for the Soga clan.

Ichiro and Gye abducted the writer one night, several years ago. Gye sneaked up on the man and used a taser, and Ichiro manhandled the victim. They bundled him into the trunk of Ichiro's car and took him out into the countryside. Gye held the terrified man down in a deserted meadow while Ichiro made the cuts. Clean. Quick.

They spent the rest of the night butchering the body and burying it in several locations. Ichiro had been impressed with Gye's unflinching stoicism in the face of dismembering and destroying a corpse. Not many people can do that. Ichiro was pretty sure the man would be an asset in any situation involving bloodshed.

Later Gye was asked to help Katashi. By the time Noboru came aboard, Gye had been working for Katashi far more than for Boss Soga.

Some of the other soldiers who had been under Katashi seemed okay. Ichiro had not personally worked with them on cleaning jobs, but several of them were older men and lifelong soldiers like Gye. That meant they'd keep their mouths shut, if nothing else.

Another man comes to mind, Hoshino. He'd been an invaluable helper for several cleaning trips Ichiro had been assigned; perhaps in another life he would have been Ichiro's deputy, but past events had convinced Boss Soga to keep Ichiro close and to let Hoshino have more room to grow as a leader. That didn't stop them from working together on delicate matters, though.

Hoshino was probably tied up with work in Kobe right now. But, Boss Soga might be willing to lend him out for a night. Or he could be willing to come up to Tokyo on his own, if the request was couched correctly. He was a solid guy to have at your side in a fight, that was for certain.

Gye's the best on hand, and some of the other men are probably not liabilities if you have to get grisly. Hoshino is in Kobe but could be in Tokyo in the evening, if you call for him now.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 11, 2014

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Tokyo

No weapons. Every now and again, she still wondered just who she'd fallen in with in this strange world, and how much of them was hidden like a handgun beneath baggy clothes--in the back alleys of Tamakikyo a simple knife had always been enough, and the report of a gunshot would have brought police and whirring drones from every quadrant of the city to fall upon anyone unlucky enough to be in the area like a storm of fists.

She went along with Taka until they found the mail carrier, her heart pounding like a giant's footfalls. Would it be enough? Would it even be convincing? She'd forged before, of course, but the consequences here seemed rather... more final if she was to trip up on something seemingly unimportant.

She stood and watched, silently.

BuBuBear
May 9, 2009
Taka Jō - Tokyo

Taka smiles companionably
"Come on, don't be like that. I said I needed it there today didn't I? Tell you what, I'll make it even more worth your while, take a look"

With deft fingers, Taka slides a prepared envelope from his pocket containing $600 and hands it to the man along with the letters for his inspection.

"That right there, all yours, and it's not even out of your way. I know a reasonable man like you won't refuse a great deal like this"

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Tokyo

¥60,000 isn't a small sum of money. It's not a gigantic sum either, but it's considerable. ¥60,000 in ¥5,000 bills makes for a noticeably fat money envelope.

The mailman isn't so crass as to open the envelope in front of Taka, but he nods as he slides it into his coat's breast pocket. "Ah, well, in that case I will give you special consideration. You're right, it's not too far out of the way. You can trust me to make sure these letters make it. Well, if that's all, I should take care of this right away!"

He's not quite giddy, but everyone can tell he's happy with the tip. He heads off, back along his route.

Between the large bribe, a good reaction roll, and Taka's fashion sense, the mailman is quite happy to help.

BuBuBear
May 9, 2009
Taka Jō - Tokyo

Taka nods and puts the unfinished cigarette to his lips, lighting up with a brief flash of heat from his lighter and a deep, satisfied drag.

"Good, that's taken care of, and the electrician should be delivering the second punch later tonight"

Taka glances at between Naomi and Melissa, trying to get a bead on them. Both women had been mostly quiet all day, though he wasn't doing a lot of talking himself.

"Alright, I'm going to head over to the Ritz, and find a good place to watch the Inagawa building till it's time for the temple run tonight. Might even sleep there tonight if I can land a good observation room."

He pulls out his phone, squinting briefly at the screen to get the time.
"...should still have a solid few hours to get some observation in, maybe learn something useful. If you decide not to come with, you can reach me at <cell phone number> if you really need me. I'll be leaving for the temple around 8."

With that, Taka leaves the area and heads over to the Minato district to the Ritz Carlton, picking up a newspaper and some snacks on the way

-$600 from the accepted bribe and 1% cost of living for these purchases: Leaving me at $403

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Tokyo

Just like that, it was over. It would've happened the same whether she'd been there or not--when her talents weren't in play, Naomi didn't cast a particularly intimidating presence. Nevertheless, she felt a certain surge of professional pride as the mailman took the letters she'd prepared, though it was leavened with a churning dread of what might happen if they didn't pass muster. A long night's work...

A night that was catching up to her still.

"I will see you at the temple," Naomi said. "If I don't sleep soon, I might come apart."

Naomi is heading back to her apartment to get whatever rest she can before the meeting.

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013
Ichiro - fishmarket offices
Ichiro walks over to Gye and places one hand on his shoulder.
"Gye, old friend, we have a job to do. An ambush to organize. I'll call up Hoshino. If you know someone you can trust with a knife, a case of money and to keep absolutely silent about their work, call them up, but keep it small, we want at most four people on this job. We'll plan tomorrow noon, my place."

------

Ichiro dials Hoshino
"Hello, Hoshino? This is Ichiro, your old co-worker. Yeah, I've got this delicate job coming up and I need your skills. Yes, some very tense negotiations, I'll send a request to your boss to free you up. Come to my place tomorrow noon, we'll be laying out plans there."

-------

"Noboru Soga-san, I require some assistance from you if you are willing to provide it. I need an office for the ambush, I need an approximate date for the plan and I need for you to request from Boss-Soga that Shigeko Hoshino be freed from his current assignment to assist me in the ambush. I want to keep the job small and I want to prevent word of it spreading, so I need him and Ha Joon Gye, two men I can absolutely trust. I hope I am not making too many requests."

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Tokyo Ritz

Taka and Melissa spend several hours on a stakeout of the Inagawa-kai's building, eating lunch and lingering over tea while they chat and watch the traffic. None of the restaurant staff seem to mind them occupying a table as long as they keep buying food and drink periodically.

There was some amount of foot traffic in and out, mostly couriers and men in business suits. Nothing remarkable happened until nearly noon, when Melissa noticed a man dressed in a white loose-fitting outfit and a conical straw hat leaving the building. He escaped Taka's notice until Melissa pointed him out.

Taka recognized the man as wearing the traditional pilgrim's garments, including a sugegasa hat. The pilgrim hailed a taxi, and was gone before either of them could do more than get the serial number for the cab: 673.

Besides the pilgrim's clothes, there was nothing especially remarkable about him. Just another Japanese man with a plain face and olive skin.

Taka stifles a yawn as he checks the time on his phone. They've been at this awhile, and only gotten the one item of note out of their stakeout.

They leave the restaurant and part ways, Melissa heading home to prepare for her appointment this evening, and Taka going to the tattoo parlor to get some sleep.

Deduct $30 each for your meal bills. If there's anything special you guys wanted to get done before the visit to the temple, say so now.

Fishmarket Offices

Gye glances around the room at the other soldiers, most of whom are on their way out of the room to deal with their own assignments. He nods. "I'll get a few of the guys together. We'll be present."

It takes a couple of calls, but Noboru and Ichiro arrange for Hoshino to be freed up for Sunday evening. Their colleague is, as usual, terse. He promises to be at the meeting without complaint or comment.

Boss Soga is a little bemused that Noboru's calling him back so soon, but agrees that Hoshino can be spared from his usual duties for a day.

If there's anything special you guys wanted to get done before the visit to the temple, say so now.

Saito's Pachinko Parlor

Despite all the weirdness of the morning, and the assignment liaise with the Patriotic Society from Katashi being reaffirmed by Noboru, Kenichi falls back to familiar habits. Perhaps he was just too unsettled by Katashi dying to feel confident about pursuing his standing orders.

As evening draws close, Kenichi becomes keenly aware that the weekend is the best time of day to meet up with Patriotic Society members to party or talk shop. Many of them are regular merchants who have sidelines that are mildly to utterly illegal, and the leadership is all in the business of using merriment to part fools from their money.

He's considering which people to talk to when he gets a phone call from an unfamiliar number.

It's a girl's voice, not Keiko's. She introduces herself as Aya Higoshi, and says, "You are Keiko's brother, right? I've been expecting her since this afternoon but she didn't show up. Did she change her plans?"

Ball's in your court here.

Naomi's Apartment

When Naomi arrives home her roommate/landlady Miss Mimasuya is still out. She's almost certainly at her lower shop. The weekends are usually decent business-wise for her, from what Naomi knows of her affairs.

Naomi goes to her little room, unrolls her futon, and gets some sleep. Streamers of neon light from a shop across the street paint the walls as she wakes to Miss Mimasuya shaking her shoulder.

When Naomi's eyes open, Miss Mimasuya says, "Good morning! Or good evening now. Maybe I should be saying good night?"

She seems genuinely puzzled by the conundrum of which greeting is most appropriate, but before Naomi can weigh in, Miss Mimasuya abruptly says, "Mr. Minobe gave me a call when he couldn't reach you on your phone. He said you should not be late to your appointment tonight. I'll let you get ready now."

As she leaves the room, Naomi can smell fried fish. Her stomach grumbles- and apparently Miss Mimausya heard it, since she calls through the door, "I picked up fish sandwiches, you can take one for your supper if you want."

If there's anything else you want to do before going to the temple, or to prepare, say so.

Shinto Shrine to the Raihōshin

As the appointed hour draws close, those who have business assemble by the torii gate. While Melissa and Naomi are ignorant of just who Raihōshin are, anyone else would know it refers to visiting kami in general, instead of any specific Shinto god. This is a place for visiting deities to rest and be received, and to hear prayers from those who would seek their help.

That said, it's still a Shinto shrine. Beyond the torii gate is a water fountain with wooden dippers, where visitors are expected to perform a purification ritual by washing their hands and mouths. Lurking by the basin is a very short man, nearly a midget really, dressed in the robes of a junior Shinto priest. He beckons to the group.

Upon passing the torii threshold, the hum of the city fades. Tall trees all around the perimeter of the shrine help screen the sound and block a lot of the ambient light from the street, making the sacred ground seem somber and desolate.

The priest looks at you each in turn, and then asks, "Is this everyone?"

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 4, 2014

BuBuBear
May 9, 2009
Taka Jō - Shinto Shrine to the Raihōshin

The day had not been as productive as Taka had hoped, thus far. The trip to monitor the Inagawa was mostly a bust, but at he got to learn a little more about Melissa anyway...and embarrassingly enough had missed something that she caught.
That pilgrim would be on his mind for a while, especially because he was currently going into a temple.

Taka was dressed casually, but not overmuch. He wore a white button down shirt and blue jeans, the sleeves and legs rolled up to just below his elbows and knees respectively. The clack clack of wood on stone announced his Geta to the world as he crossed the threshold into the temple.

Instead of answering the priest, Taka glanced at Noboru and raised an eyebrow. He was the leader here after all, and it wouldn't do to speak out of turn.

PythagoreanCup
Jul 31, 2013

Noboru Soga

Noboru elects to use his time to visit Katashi's family home, he calls ahead hoping to reach his widow for permission. Inside he scours the home for the incriminating, the dangerous, and the useful-anything that Katashi would wish his family or the law to never uncover.

---

Noboru greets the priest with respect.

"It is. You are to be our guide?"

Searching (13)

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Shinto Shrine to the Raihōshin

The junior priest nods. "Yes. I was instructed to receive your party."

He glances at the basin beside him and says, almost as an aside, "Today you are excused from washing before entering. We will purify the shrine after your visit is concluded."

Regardless of how you may choose to take that, he carries on. "Please follow me, gentlemen and ladies."

He detours past the sacred hall proper, the building where the kami and other special objects are housed, and leads the group to a side building. "This serves as the worship hall, when such is required."

It's almost like a small theater. The room is divided between a tatami mat covered area where an audience can sit in the traditional fashion, and a smaller area where the priests can perform ceremonies and ritual dances. In that part of the room several people sit, waiting for the party to remove their shoes before entering.

There's a stern looking man in the pale yellow and white robes of a senior Shinto priest, a well muscled man dressed in a western style suit who carries himself with confidence, and a large man wearing the distinctive garb of a Yamabushi (a gold tunic over a loose shirt and pants, with a set of decorations on bandoleers).

Taka and Noboru both recognize the man in the suit as one of the Yamada lieutenants, Daiki "Baki" Yamada, nicknamed Baki after the manga character "Baki the Grappler" for his ability at martial arts.

The senior priest says, "Hebo, you're excused," as soon as the small man has finished helping the party put their shoes into storage cubbies by the door. The junior priest, Hebo, bows and leaves the room.

Yamada's eyes flit over the group, and then he stands and bows politely. He says, "I am Daiki Yamada. My associate to my left is Gekido Kaji, and we are all the guests of Priest Nemoto." As he indicates each man, they stand and also bow politely.

"We understand you all have seen something impossible. Or done something impossible. Nemoto will check each of you in turn, starting with Mr. Minobe. While he is doing that, Gekido and myself will be willing to answer any questions you may have."

The high priest takes Minobe aside from the party and starts shaking a wooden wand with numerous streamers while pacing around the yakuza and softly chanting. Yamada and Gekido ignore them.

Say hello to the new player, TheBeardiestBob

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuBuBear
May 9, 2009
Taka Jō - Shinto Shrine to the Raihōshin

Despite himself, Taka's face twisted into a grimace of annoyance. Memories of long, boring, ceremonies he had to suffer through as a child came unbidden to his memory and he found his mouth moving while his brain was still caught in remembrance.

"Eh, Nemoto Guji, can't we skip the long examination? The one responsible is over there." Taka says as he points to Naomi

• Locked thread