Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Old quarterbacks own. Some of the best seasons of football I've seen are by ripe old men over the age of 35.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

gently caress Rich Gannon

Oh please, we had him for about four good years before 2003/2004 turned his neck into rubber and retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

"His personality makes him sexy"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

"His personality makes him sexy"

If you don't know the story behind that, the People Magazine reporter was told to interview a QB for the Chiefs. They were supposed to get Rich Gannon. Somehow, they got Elvis Grbac.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

Rich Gannon was drafted as a RB and was a punter his freshman year of college.

Like, if that doesn't make you love Rich Gannon you just hate good things.

He was drafted as a safety you plebe. He played running back in college, but he was being converted.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Grozz Nuy posted:

Counterpoint: Steve Young rules, gently caress Brett Favre
This guy gets it.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Atticus Finch posted:

This guy gets it.

Look how terribly wrong you are.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Look how terribly wrong you are.

I don't know that I've ever seen such an apt username before.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Top QBs of all time:

Brett Favre
Dan Marino
Dan Fouts
Len Dawson
Johnny Unitas
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Joe Montana
David Carr
Otto Graham
Fran Tarkenton
Bob Griese
Jim Kelly
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Warren Moon
Roger Staubach
Terry Bradshaw
Kurt Warner
Bart Starr

Now of that list I'd have to put Peyton Manning at #1. How he's playing now with that neck injury is astounding.

But, I believe Dan Marino is the best QB of all time in terms of sheer talent. The guy almost never had a down year, played in a variety of different offensive schemes, played on a variety good and bad teams, and could make every conceivable throw asked of him. He gets blasted for his INT rates, just like Favre, but the game was a bit different in his era. If Marino won 2 or 3 Super Bowls no one would question his GOAT status.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

If you don't know the story behind that, the People Magazine reporter was told to interview a QB for the Chiefs. They were supposed to get Rich Gannon. Somehow, they got Elvis Grbac.

They probably saw both and were like "eh whatever"

Rasczak fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 2, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

Gannon's best season was better than Favre's best season at least.

It really wasn't.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

It really wasn't.

Tell him about the rings, MV.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chichevache posted:

What are you even talking about, you worthless shitposter?

Favre in 95 was better than Gannon was in any season of his career, including the MVP one. Favre also had a sustained stretch in the 90s where he was the best QB in the league (or second to Young, who, again I think was the best QB ever at his peak), and then a long long loooooong stretch where he was eratic but still very good.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 2, 2014

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

MourningView posted:

(or second to Young, who, again I think was the best QB ever at his peak)

You're all right, MV.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I've never heard anyone make that argument for Young. What is your reasoning, MV? Just overall skill set or what?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Brett Favre never had his head coach throw the biggest game of his career though.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Brett Favre threw away plenty of games

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Captain Tolerable posted:

The Packers defense threw away a lot of games

Fixed.

And I agree with MV on this (duh). The fact that Favre had an amazing season in 2009 coming off a serious throwing arm injury in his late 30's is mindblowing. He had some erratic years in the 2000's, but a lot of that was due to playing on teams lacking in talent.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also the gunslinging was perfectly acceptable until very recently. I'd say around 2006 is when teams wanted their QB to stop taking risks and start targeting efficient plays.

I think Marino is one of the best QBs of all time and his INT rates look just as bad as Favre's. People just took more risks back then.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ehud posted:

I've never heard anyone make that argument for Young. What is your reasoning, MV? Just overall skill set or what?

Some of it is that (it's sometimes forgotten what a threat he was as a runner now), but I just think that relative to his peers at his peak he was better than anyone else has ever been. Like if you look at his numbers they look like something that wouldn't be out of place today and it was during a period where it was way harder to put up big passing efficency numbers.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Doltos posted:

Also the gunslinging was perfectly acceptable until very recently. I'd say around 2006 is when teams wanted their QB to stop taking risks and start targeting efficient plays.

I think Marino is one of the best QBs of all time and his INT rates look just as bad as Favre's. People just took more risks back then.

It's fair to knock Favre for picks. He had made a ton of risky throws and took chances even by the standards of the time. But so many of the late game turnovers later in his career that people remember are because the Packers defense couldn't get a stop ever or he was throwing to Donald Driver and a bunch of scrubs or Naufahu Tahi is an idiot who got the team a dumb penalty on third down in the NFCCG.

Basically Favre ruled for nearly 20 years, which is amazing considering the abuse he took and the time he played.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!

Chichevache posted:

Rings would put Trent Dilfer over Dan Fouts, and that would be criminal.
I.e. Rings ain't poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The idea that the only way you could possibly argue for Brett loving Favre over Rich Gannon is rings has got to be one of the 10 or so dumbest things Ciche has ever posted, which is truly illustrious company.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

LockHeart posted:

Rings would put Trent Dilfer over Dan Fouts, and that would be criminal.
I.e. Rings ain't poo poo.

That was his point (delivered snarkily) -- he didn't agree with MV that Favre was better, and took a jab at him suggesting that the only reason MV thought Favre was better than Gannon was because of Favre's ring. That said, I thought it was very clear that Chichevache was being, as he often is, facetious.

superaielman posted:

It's fair to knock Favre for picks. He had made a ton of risky throws and took chances even by the standards of the time. But so many of the late game turnovers later in his career that people remember are because the Packers defense couldn't get a stop ever or he was throwing to Donald Driver and a bunch of scrubs or Naufahu Tahi is an idiot who got the team a dumb penalty on third down in the NFCCG.

Basically Favre ruled for nearly 20 years, which is amazing considering the abuse he took and the time he played.

On the other hand, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200201200ram.htm

God that game still stings.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Brannock posted:

That was his point (delivered snarkily) -- he didn't agree with MV that Favre was better, and took a jab at him suggesting that the only reason MV thought Favre was better than Gannon was because of Favre's ring.

I am aware that he was trying to make a joke. It is, like most of his jokes, a stupid and nonsensical one in this context.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

The idea that the only way you could possibly argue for Brett loving Favre over Rich Gannon is rings has got to be one of the 10 or so dumbest things Ciche has ever posted, which is truly illustrious company.

I was actually going for a Lenny from Of Mice and Men reference in regards to Volker's, hopefully joking, post. However, I was posting from my phone which is a recipe for laziness and thus disaster. I should have taken the time to quote a few sentences from the book in order to set it up better and make it obvious what I was trying to do. Instead I quoted a line without context which, in retrospect, is impossible to peg.

I'm lazy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chichevache posted:

I was actually going for a Lenny from Of Mice and Men reference in regards to Volker's, hopefully joking, post.

I don't think he was joking. You could argue that for one year Gannon was up there with just about anyone, I just don't happen to agree with it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd take Gannon over Favre in a day-drinking contest

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

I'd take Gannon over Favre in a day-drinking contest

I dunno. Farve might not have the reputation. But just looking at him I see someone who looks like they could drink with the best of them.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

Brannock posted:

That was his point (delivered snarkily) -- he didn't agree with MV that Favre was better, and took a jab at him suggesting that the only reason MV thought Favre was better than Gannon was because of Favre's ring. That said, I thought it was very clear that Chichevache was being, as he often is, facetious.

On the other hand, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200201200ram.htm

God that game still stings.

Favre had a bad game, but the defense poo poo the bed just as much as Favre did there. The Packers defense from the early 00s till McCarthy got there was wretched.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Gannon's best year was also characterized by a lot of short passes to Tim Brown and Jerry Rice who picked up a lot of YAC, iirc. And even then he didn't really look as impressive as Favre did during his three MVP seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJlNhQrXNSA&t=60s

superaielman posted:

Favre had a bad game, but the defense poo poo the bed just as much as Favre did there. The Packers defense from the early 00s till McCarthy got there was wretched.

Without the interception returns (which the defense isn't responsible for) the game is 17-24 and still very within winnability. Warner threw for 216 yards and the Rams ran for 91, which was quite a bit less than they'd put up all season. The Packers also fumbled twice on top of getting picked six times.

I'm still a little disappointed that Mike McKenzie - Al Harris - Darren Sharper never really worked out long term, that was a big ballhawk secondary.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

I dunno. Farve might not have the reputation. But just looking at him I see someone who looks like they could drink with the best of them.

Not in the salty way that Gannon or Kerry Collins can though. Favre seems like a guy that has to chug a bottle of pain killers and sailor jerry's in order to fall asleep every night. Gannon seems like a guy who drives to the liquor store to buy a 30-rack while he's drinking a 30-rack.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Chiche may be a bad poster (I don't think he is anymore but I am a dumb poo poo to begin with) but at least he isn't angry all the time.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I am angry during football season.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Cold Stone has offered to cater Stafford's wedding.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/02/cold-stone-matthew-stafford-wedding-cake-dessert-free/

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I get quite angry when my team loses 14 in a row.

I must be dyslexic because I read that as Stone Cold and dreamt that he was offering everyone at his wedding cans of whoop rear end to eat. :allears:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kirios posted:

I must be dyslexic because I read that as Stone Cold and dreamt that he was offering everyone at his wedding cans of whoop rear end to eat. :allears:

same

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Whenever someone mentions football around me at any time I become a frothing, raging maniac

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I was thinking about killing myself IRL after the Broncos lost the Super Bowl. I think Peyton wouldn't choke as much if he would be more like Tim Tebow and not read the Qur'an.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
On the flip side I had a fever during the 2007 super bowl and after the Giants won it I ran around my house screaming and didn't even feel sick anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Third. Lots of bud light at that wedding

• Locked thread