Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Get ready to draw some happy little trees because this month's theme is Landscapes!

Sesshu Toyo

Thomas Cole

George Innes

Ivan Shishkin

Georgia O'Keeffe

Max Ernst

Neil Welliver

Cool lanscape inspiration blogs
http://landscapelifescape.tumblr.com/
http://wnderlst.tumblr.com/
http://etherealvistas.com/
http://earthdaily.tumblr.com/
http://oculi-ds.tumblr.com/

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh boy, landscapes. The only thing I'm arguably good at!

Eyvind Earle did the best landscapes. Your landscapes wish they were Eyvind Earle's.

Dong Kingman is also a big inspiration for me.

Even Tolkien was loving awesome.

Why, everyone's favorite genocidal dictator Adolf Hitler spent his youth as an impoverished starving artist painting landscapes for cash.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Making a poster for a work event.

It makes sense in context.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

animation backgrounds count as landscapes

and I'm awful at both. Gonna start again.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Nice work on the poster Avshalom

Update on this thing from the last drawing thread.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 7, 2014

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
horse foetus

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
My first portrait in almost a week. I hope I captured William Shatner's likeness.

EDIT: This took a long time. So worth it, though.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 2, 2014

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Felat, do you use constructive anatomy for all your figures? They're pretty solid.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQCo_sQMSg
My 11 Second Club entry for last month, crossposted from the animation thread.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Beelzebub posted:

Felat, do you use constructive anatomy for all your figures? They're pretty solid.

Yes, I don't trust myself to just wing it so I always sketch the most important lines first. Thanks for the compliment! Your piece is coming along really nice!

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Need to adjust more contrasty bits I think...

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Re-did on old drawing of mine

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Today I did a bunch of sketching to learn new things, such as eyes, and the last sketch is more to do with the hands and mouth expressions with lighting (this is a sketch I might fix up into a painting later).

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Donald Trump toop-less.

GreatJob posted:

Need to adjust more contrasty bits I think...
This looks awesome! I don't see a problem with the contrast, but to me the way you have the back bird/pterodactyl creature lit makes him took too far back.
You know, if you ever feel like showing a step-by-step process behind how you do these, I'd love to see it. I really want that ability to exaggerate and understand volumetric forms, so I'd love to know how you go about it.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I'm making this for my friend, its his office,

Typical fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 3, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Typical posted:

that is swank as gently caress, but dont you think having light shine down like that will cause glare issues with his Cintiq? also where would guests sit?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Typical posted:

this is honestly a step above your already awesome work, man. SOMEONE (like me) has been trying their darndest to learn from kevin dart, yeah?

edit- or sam bosma (like me. one day I will beat sam bosma one day)

felat
Apr 27, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

You know, if you ever feel like showing a step-by-step process behind how you do these, I'd love to see it. I really want that ability to exaggerate and understand volumetric forms, so I'd love to know how you go about it.

I always start with a circle and a jaw shape, then I draw a line for where the eyebrows are going to be and the face's center line (where the nose will be). This is usually enough construction for me to start adding stuff. I don't have a fancy technique and I basically follow all of the thousands of youtube tutorial videos out there and the loomis technique and all that. The biggest trick I can give you for exaggerating and understanding the volume of the face is to draw portraits from life as accurately as you can. Generally, the people who can create a wide range of faces with all kinds of exaggerated features are really good at drawing portraits.

I'd love to work in that. Can't wait to have an office instead of an all-in-one room.

edit for content:

I drew a head this morning that I really liked and I'm going to try and do a finished piece for once. Still struggling with what pose to give them though.

felat fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 4, 2014

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

that is swank as gently caress, but dont you think having light shine down like that will cause glare issues with his Cintiq? also where would guests sit?

Haha , yeah, I think he turns it off to draw. Also there is a really nice yellow leather chair right there in the from corner, but I took it out for composition reasons.

bitmap posted:

this is honestly a step above your already awesome work, man. SOMEONE (like me) has been trying their darndest to learn from kevin dart, yeah?

edit- or sam bosma (like me. one day I will beat sam bosma one day)

Thanks, I wanted to practice more layout stuff, since that's what i'm focusing on for my career. And yeah I wanted it to be very kevin dart. I love your stuff too by the way, I saw an animation that you worked on recently at the cinemafily animation breakdown. Something with like strange elephants and mosquito worlds.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Typical posted:

Thanks, I wanted to practice more layout stuff, since that's what i'm focusing on for my career. And yeah I wanted it to be very kevin dart. I love your stuff too by the way, I saw an animation that you worked on recently at the cinemafily animation breakdown. Something with like strange elephants and mosquito worlds.

hah! My contribution to felix's animation was seriously nothing more than me getting him so high that he came up with that idea.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Some more of tracksuit thug. Going to use the green head and start from this pose for the final.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

felat posted:

Some more of tracksuit thug. Going to use the green head and start from this pose for the final.

Bro, that's a good drawing, bro!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Drew some more Mickey

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

WIP. I think i have to stop relying on so many layers to get a realistic effect, getting lost in the folders. I wonder in digital art is it considered 'wrong' to use references so closely?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Found an 8 year old sketchbook with empty pages. Might as well finish it.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Really like the sky on that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

felat posted:

Really like the sky on that.

I was riding off the description of Bierce's Carcosa but I wish I left the charcoal out. I never know when to stop.

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

Trying to figure out how to work with acrylic inks, on bristol, using dip pens. I think I'm starting to understand how it works, but have a long way to go - both in how they work and also trying to develop a style with them. Tips appreciated, and if anyone wants to share any knowledge offline, I'd love to soak up any tips you have (dip pen and/or acrylics).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hell, you could share your knowledge with me on how to get a smooth, flat wash. I can't figure inks out at all.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

al-azad posted:

Hell, you could share your knowledge with me on how to get a smooth, flat wash. I can't figure inks out at all.

Get a decent sable-hair brush, they cost a bit more but are totally worth it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

al-azad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdGMi-OMCrg
Watercolor but the technique is the same for ink

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can get a flat wash with watercolor easy but ink dries so quickly (and naturally becomes lighter when it does) you'll get a noticeable overlap. It might be an issue of paper, I use heavily textured stuff.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

2\5

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Beelzebub posted:

Nice work on the poster Avshalom

Update on this thing from the last drawing thread.

I just saw this pop up on my facebook feed for CGSociety's Editor's Choice! Congrats!

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Somebody last month told me to stop being so serious.

Bonus aninmated version:

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

^^^This is great!^^^

PicklePants posted:

I just saw this pop up on my facebook feed for CGSociety's Editor's Choice! Congrats!

Thanks! I need to get on that feed, they didn't even tell me.

Here's a WIP/Tutorial of the illustration I put together for some people on another forum, might as well share it here as well.

http://joshhass.com/randomstuff/tutorial.pdf

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 5, 2014

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Buff old dude study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Beelzebub posted:

^^^This is great!^^^

Thanks! I need to get on that feed, they didn't even tell me.

Here's a WIP/Tutorial of the illustration I put together for some people on another forum, might as well share it here as well.

http://joshhass.com/randomstuff/tutorial.pdf

Thank you for that walkthrough. The breakdown is fantastic! Curious why you chose to leave the background brown (as described on pg 11)? Did you want the effect of brown paper/canvas showing through?

Regardless, congratulations on the editor's choice award. It is has been really cool watching the progress of that painting in this thread.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 6, 2014

• Locked thread