Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

hey now! someones making a german metal band LP cover? whaaaat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Cool! Make sure you get paid SOMETHING up front. I just got dicked over by a metal band for the last album cover I made. Just saying . . .

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

Cool! Make sure you get paid SOMETHING up front. I just got dicked over by a metal band for the last album cover I made. Just saying . . .

naw, just a fun project for shits and giggles

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

bitmap posted:

naw, just a fun project for shits and giggles

OK, carry on then.
:orks101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxMiZxN-F0

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Not getting paid for art loving suuuuucks.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

President Kucinich posted:

Not getting paid for art loving suuuuucks.

animation is a way way better gig as far as money goes. Having to draw only one picture is like having beers in the sun on a weekend.

draft lines!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I colored the Bee.

Bee is also an official landscape place because as far as you know, there could be poorly drawn people colonized it and live in little shacks of fuzz and instead of rain they get pollen showers and their water is bee blood. :3:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
off-model quina:

garden robots:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I messed up an Egyptian dance, also coloring:

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011
I keep forgetting to post stuff here.

Forgive my crap scanner.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

A cat

The background is a bit meh (I can't do backgrounds) but I'll prob keep messing with it and see if I can get it to look on par with the cat. I don't know what it is, my brain seems to switch off when doing anything other than the main subject.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Getting a little braver with clothes and armor

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

rocketpig posted:

A cat

The background is a bit meh (I can't do backgrounds) but I'll prob keep messing with it and see if I can get it to look on par with the cat. I don't know what it is, my brain seems to switch off when doing anything other than the main subject.

The fur looks great! The Grass however is really cheesy, just rough in the forms of the grass and maybe add a few strategic individual blades for emphasis rather than using a grass brush.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

Humboldt Squid posted:

The fur looks great! The Grass however is really cheesy, just rough in the forms of the grass and maybe add a few strategic individual blades for emphasis rather than using a grass brush.

Thank you :)

It seems stupid, ask me to draw a photo realistic eye and it's no problem. Ask me to draw a couple of hills and my mind goes blank :( I'm determined to do it though, I want to be a more well rounded artist and not be stuck on the same thing. I just need to figure out how to transfer my skills in portraits to other stuff.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Cartyisme posted:

I keep forgetting to post stuff here.

Forgive my crap scanner.

This is awesome. Frame it and hang it.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've been away from my sketchbook for a while, so I'm trying to get back into it. Tried my hand at some caricaturing.

EDIT: Fixed eye on left-hand portrait.
EDIT2: I'm less happy with these the more I look at them. Frankly, I'm a bit embarrassed at posting them. But I guess every drawing is a learning experience if I choose to learn from it.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 7, 2014

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

It's not due until the 9th, so I'm planning on making a quick environment to place these guys into. My mental image of the game these would come from would be sort of a 3rd person rougelike\survival sim about a crashed astronaut on a Barlowe-type alien world. These guys would have a social structure a bit like mole rats or ants, with each type playing a different role.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CloseFriend posted:

I've been away from my sketchbook for a while, so I'm trying to get back into it. Tried my hand at some caricaturing.

EDIT: Fixed eye on left-hand portrait.
EDIT2: I'm less happy with these the more I look at them. Frankly, I'm a bit embarrassed at posting them. But I guess every drawing is a learning experience if I choose to learn from it.

I don't think anyone likes everything they do but it's cool. As you said, there is plenty to learn from unsuccessful pieces.

Out of these I think i like the one on the right the most; his eyes are pretty expressive. Some of the exaggerated proportions work a little better on him too. For instance, the guy's skull is collapsed but it's excessive to the point that it looks on purpose. The woman is distorted just enough to look off, and it looks more like a mistake rather than an intentional exaggeration.

I think what would help is deciding to stick to proper proportions for everything except maybe 1-2 characteristic features that you'll exaggerate instead of playing fast and loose with everything. This will emphasize the features you choose to exaggerate. For everything else, keep in mind the thirds of the face (Chin to bottom of nose, bottom of nose to brow, brow to the hairline) should be roughly equal, and that the eyes are halfway up the head. Eyes normally aren't much higher up unless the person's head is tilted back and in that case you'd see more under the nose/brow/chin than you do in these.

VVVVV

Never used acrylic ink but you could always do a little test on a scrap piece of paper to see if the paint will work well covering up the ink or not.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 8, 2014

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

Here's my first attempt (WIP) at an acrylic ink picture (I usually work with markers). My problem is the first application of ink got majorly hosed up. I attempted to shave it off with a razor blade, and ended up making it worse. Acrylic ink is too thin to apply another layer to fix it. I've thought of buying the same shade of acrylic paint (not ink) to smooth it out, but maybe that will just worsen it. Any thoughts?

I could start over, I'm not that far into it and I do have a lightdesk I could transfer it with. The fuckup is left center. Not too noticeable at first glance, but glaring once you see it.

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Ceci n'est pas un paresseux

"doglotus"

CosmoDNA
Feb 21, 2001

Guh.
I did a Hulk! There's a landscape in there, too. Behind all the fire. Yeah.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

what's all this about

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!
Aw dude made it!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Getting back into daily sketching practice, after taking a month off for epic birthday project.

e: 30m with tablet/artflow

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

bitmap posted:

hey now! someones making a german metal band LP cover? whaaaat?

Wooh! Wi-Five album-making bro! :D

Album cover thumbnail. Don't know if I got the whole concept and arrangement down yet. I was thinking of having some kind of broken fuel tank thing on the left side with the song titles scribbled down on it but that might ruin the balance so maybe just having the foreground tree more to the left and put some text in the air just right of it? God I hate the pressure of doing poo poo for others >_<

edit
ninja-added another thumb.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 8, 2014

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Goddamn ewoks.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:
Hey sorry don't have a drawing for this thread yet, but could anyone tell me who the artist was from the last (i think, the underwater one) DD thread OP, guy who did the paintings of animals often mixed with bits of urban settings? Trying to show his stuff to a friend but I can't remember the dude's name.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Josh Keyes? The thread's not archived yet so you can find him for yourself if you want.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:
Ah yep that's it, thank you! Sorry, thought the last thread would be linked in the OP so I didn't bother looking around much :shobon:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

felat posted:

Goddamn ewoks.

Love this! Their eyes always creeped me out.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

15 minute portrait of a classmate. I really need to use charcoal more, it's so easy to shade with.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Speedpainted up a little landscape for my COW entry, but I think it's not alien enough.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Bam!

felat
Apr 27, 2008

The second landscape is waaay better!

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

I really like this one, the only thing I'd say is that the Matriarch kinda blends into the background. If you separated it a tad more it would give that area more depth.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
Alcohol and Nicotine every morning
Technically it's a Photoshop but I did enough painting that I think it counts.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Some values practice, somebody recommended I try to copy by eye pictures and paintings to study values and composition, while it baing small card size and taking no more than 40 minutes, so I'm going to be making dozens of these in the coming weeks, it's alot more challenging than I expected it to be:-

and some expressions practice:-

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011

And I made a print...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felat
Apr 27, 2008

• Locked thread