Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Swamp Thing sketch. Couple of pages left in this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
april sucks

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

woo!

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Some sports themed stuffs.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

small part of a thing I'm working on

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Four brave men(?) to conquer space.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.

felat posted:

Four brave men(?) to conquer space.

Dude, you've been killing these sketches this month!

Current state of a drawing for another illustration. This time inspired by the first Wheel of Time book, The Eye of the World. A goat-headed trollic trolloc headbutting and charging through a cottage door. In the book, this is the first trollic trolloc the main character encounters.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 12, 2014

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

2d, 3d, whatever the gently caress.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Beelzebub posted:

Dude, you've been killing these sketches this month!

Current state of a drawing for another illustration. This time inspired by the first Wheel of Time book, The Eye of the World. A goat-headed trollic headbutting and charging through a cottage door. In the book, this is the first trollic the main character encounters.

Haha this is so nice! I started reading The Eye of the World last week! The only critic I have for your piece so far is that they're named trollocs, not trollics.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Decided to couple drawing with my anatomy homework.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Not to happy with this one.

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!

This is so creepy I kind of want a sticker of it to put on my car.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Baldbeard posted:

Decided to couple drawing with my anatomy homework.

drat, that is gorgeous! I seriously need to work on my anatomy, and this is hella motivation.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Doodling and blowing off steam. I added some comments once I finished to help me next time.

edit: I am getting better though :3:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

petrol blue posted:

drat, that is gorgeous! I seriously need to work on my anatomy, and this is hella motivation.

Thanks! Here's the original mechanical pencil on print paper scan :toot:.

Much better than the version I used for the assignment.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
How do you get scans like that?! I use a similar setup (mech. pencil, printer paper, scan), and can't get a decent image to save my life.

e:
is the best I've figured how to get.
:qqsay:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 14, 2014

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

petrol blue posted:

How do you get scans like that?! I use a similar setup (mech. pencil, printer paper, scan), and can't get a decent image to save my life.

e:
is the best I've figured how to get.
:qqsay:

Keeping the paper super clean is pretty important, I usually have a sheet of paper between my hand and what I'm working on so I don't smudge. I basically have to do this or my pinky and ring finger will be pitch black by the time I'm done. Also the larger you work, the less prominent the grain of the paper will be. Smooth paper helps reduce the grittiness too. Otherwise maybe it's your scanner? I'm using a cheapo $50 Canon printer/scanner/copier thing -- but it's brand new. I've noticed older scanners are usually kind of grainy.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008
My scanner predates modern civilization, so maybe i can help: Put something heavy on top of your scanner to force the lid down and keep the paper within more flat against the surface. Just pile on books or something. It also helps to remove as much responsibility as possible from the scanner driver, so i always do a full color unadjusted raw scan even if i want grayscale. Then adjust contrast/brightness/curves/etc afterwards in PS or Gimp or whatever.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Today's batch.

AntiqueCowboy
Jul 31, 2005
Okay punk, listen up. I don't like your face. That's not a good thing.
Warm up doodle that I spent a little extra time on

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Tried to get back into the swing of things, since I haven't been drawing much over the past week. I tried to keep this a line drawing so I could focus more on the facial expression (although I can never resist rendering the eyes), but something feels wrong with it. Should I flesh it out, or is the problem more structural? I've been studying anatomy for the past week; I hope it shows.

I also did some Loomis studies over the past few days. I'm missing something with these, but I can't figure out what it is. I do these in my office, so I'm not near a mirror or my lightbox, unfortunately. I may have to bring a mirror to work so I can at least have some idea of how they look horizontally flipped.

felat posted:

Not to happy with this one.

I love your work, but I think the problem with this one is that it doesn't have strong enough lines of action. If the guy on the left had a concave line of action and the guy on the right had a strong, advancing, almost-horizontal curve, the result would really sell the gesture.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 14, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm going to try to draw one person per day until the end of April (and beyond? Hopefully!) because I'm rubbish at it and this is the only way to improve. Here is number 1:

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

felat posted:

Today's batch.

The character in these blows my mind, i'd love to get to a similar point just with more traditional proportions.

Progress on a character. Does anyone have a good cloth shading tutorial on hand?

felat
Apr 27, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

I love your work, but I think the problem with this one is that it doesn't have strong enough lines of action. If the guy on the left had a concave line of action and the guy on the right had a strong, advancing, almost-horizontal curve, the result would really sell the gesture.

You're right, it's really stiff overall.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
gently caress the Environment. 22x30

Easily the largest drawing I've ever done. I just threw 12 hours at this thing cause I'm bad at time management, and my back and thumb hurt.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 14, 2014

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

dog nougat posted:

gently caress the Environment. 22x30

Easily the largest drawing I've ever done. I just threw 12 hours at this thing cause I'm bad at time management, and my back and thumb hurt.

Would you draw and post more please? You're one of my favorite artists in this thread. Would love a print of this, btw.

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

It's a slow process. I still feel I don't know what I'm doing and I don't think this picture is worth the ink, plus I don't think I'll use this technique for my next acrylic ink picture. If anyone wants to give me some knowledge of your techniques, tips, etc. offline, let me know.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

mister_gosh posted:

Would you draw and post more please? You're one of my favorite artists in this thread. Would love a print of this, btw.

Yeah I'm working on it. I'm ditching my videogames because they've been a horrible distraction.

For that octopus piece, how many iterative sketches do you have? I found that having a shitload of doodles and notes is incredibly helpful for referencing for a final piece.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008
Been trying charcoal a bit lately

Forest wip (from photo ref)

Bonus chaircoal (from life)

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!

mister_gosh posted:

It's a slow process. I still feel I don't know what I'm doing and I don't think this picture is worth the ink, plus I don't think I'll use this technique for my next acrylic ink picture. If anyone wants to give me some knowledge of your techniques, tips, etc. offline, let me know.

Super rad. I apologize that I have no advice :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mister_gosh posted:

How are you using your paint? The technique I learned was underpainting, in which you use transparent base to dilute your colours. You use a coloured canvas (usually flesh or earth tone) and then paint in your light areas and highlights. Then you go over with transparent colours, adding layer after layer to achieve depth, tone, and colour. If something's green, you do multiple layers of yellow and blue instead of just using a green. It's the technique used by Renaissance painters.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Study of Jay Landsman from The Wire. hosed the face up and drat cloth is a bitch.

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

Thanks meataidstheft!

dog nougat posted:

Yeah I'm working on it. I'm ditching my videogames because they've been a horrible distraction.

For that octopus piece, how many iterative sketches do you have? I found that having a shitload of doodles and notes is incredibly helpful for referencing for a final piece.

That's really funny you should mention that, because I was looking for more work from you after seeing your latest and had to go through many of your video game posts before finding your last contribution (the one with the hot dog).

I went through one sketch before laying it out. I didn't really work out where and how the tentacles would appear, and that's bugging me a little. I'm more or less comfortable with the composition though, it's more the medium of acrylic ink that's making me feel really unconfident.

Phylodox posted:

How are you using your paint? The technique I learned was underpainting, in which you use transparent base to dilute your colours. You use a coloured canvas (usually flesh or earth tone) and then paint in your light areas and highlights. Then you go over with transparent colours, adding layer after layer to achieve depth, tone, and colour. If something's green, you do multiple layers of yellow and blue instead of just using a green. It's the technique used by Renaissance painters.

Thanks! I don't have much education in art and that's probably part of my issue. This is handy information.

I am just laying the acrylic ink on bristol paper using mostly a dip pen. No diluting, some mixing. I think I have a fear of brushes that I may need to get over if I can't get an otherwise good technique down.

mister_gosh fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 15, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mister_gosh posted:

Thanks! I don't have much education in art and that's probably part of my issue. This is handy information.

I am just laying the acrylic ink on bristol paper using mostly a dip pen. No diluting, some mixing. I think I have a fear of brushes that I may need to get over if I can't get an otherwise good technique down.

Yeah, we didn't learn underpainting until third semester. The teacher introduced it to us by saying that up until that point we'd only been "pushing paint around on a canvas, not really painting". It's painstaking and a lot of the other students just could not get the hang of it, but if you get the hang of it the effect is pretty nice.

And yeah, brushes are what you're going to want to use. The key to painting with acrylics that the teacher kept hammering into our heads was to use small strokes moving crosswise to each other, so you can't actually see the brush strokes (unless that's what you're going for). Try to avoid big, sweeping movements or following the contour of the object you're painting, as that will leave noticeable brush marks (once again, unless that's what you're going for).

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I picked up a Copic marker to ruin try out and now I kind of want to go back and buy another one. of each color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Figured I'd make my horrific video game addiction productive for once.

This is my first cartooning in a long time. I may have to bust out Preston Blair's book again, but first I wanna finish Loomis.

• Locked thread