Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
Sketchbook page for the day. I spent about 15 minutes sketching and then like 3 hours trying to attempt painting/rendering and couldn't produce a single thing that didn't look like horseshit ughghg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

diddy kongs feet posted:

Sketchbook page for the day. I spent about 15 minutes sketching and then like 3 hours trying to attempt painting/rendering and couldn't produce a single thing that didn't look like horseshit ughghg

You should practice drawing skulls, you are missing parts of it.

I quickly sketched over your drawing to show the parts you are missing.

-Edit, I guess I should post the head study I painted today.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 18, 2014

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.

Typical posted:

So yeah, if your not already watching Rick and Morty, you should. Because I will be designing props for season 2. Also it is a good show.

Nice work! That's awesome you get to work on that show. Do you work in a studio with other artists, or from home?

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Shuffle posted:

The two title lines on the bottom aren't centered the left side is 5/16th from the edge right side is 3/16th. Unless this was intended.

Not intentional, thanks a lot. Vision gets pretty buzzed after a few hours of doodlin'.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Painting on the final.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
drat, that is awesome. The only (small) thing that occurs is that the shade at the inside door edges could possibly take a bit more contrast? Also, angryman needs to be holding a half-empty whisky bottle. :cheeky:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I really really appreciate all the feedback everybody's been giving me! I'm aware that the stuff I'm posting is ugly as sin and it's frustrating to watch me screw up over and over, but I promise I'm taking everything into account and might hopefully soon start improving a little. :shobon: I don't have any snarling hellbeasts today, but I tried to pay attention to the size of the cranium versus the face and make the features smaller than I automatically want to, because I think years of cartoony manga stuff has skewed my perception of what a human being looks like.

The eyes are still too big I think, so I'll work on that next.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Avshalom posted:

I really really appreciate all the feedback everybody's been giving me! I'm aware that the stuff I'm posting is ugly as sin and it's frustrating to watch me screw up over and over, but I promise I'm taking everything into account and might hopefully soon start improving a little. :shobon: I don't have any snarling hellbeasts today, but I tried to pay attention to the size of the cranium versus the face and make the features smaller than I automatically want to, because I think years of cartoony manga stuff has skewed my perception of what a human being looks like.

The eyes are still too big I think, so I'll work on that next.
Are you drawing from a photo reference? Starting as children, we automatically exaggerate the import features of the face. Instinctively, we make the eyes too big, the nose too long, and we give the lips a non existent solid outline. The only way to break this habit is to spend a lot of time drawing what you see, rather than what you know is there. Use a reference for a while and be vigilant in copying the proportions. Take a look at this example:

If you saw just the outline on the right, you would think to yourself, "There's no loving way eyes are that small!", but once you put it over the photo it was taken from it makes sense. This is the problem with starting the face with lines -- we see the bounding box of the face without any depth. And so the cheeks and lateral parts of the face seem puffy and bloated. In the photo example above, the outline looks like it's from a chubby dude rather than an attractive/petite woman.

In short, facial proportions are a mind-gently caress because we can hardly separate reality from our internal version of 'a face'. It takes a lot of practice to get it down, and we can't really get better at drawing realistic people without using real references and being super meticulous about it -- at least for many years.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 19, 2014

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Ceci n'est pas un paresseux

EDIT: I just noticed that the eyelids aren't apparent in this photo. It's frustrating because it make it evident that her eyes are pointed in the same direction. I'll try to rework the painting so they show up better.

Stroszek fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 19, 2014

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Beelzebub posted:

Nice work! That's awesome you get to work on that show. Do you work in a studio with other artists, or from home?

Thanks, its a cool show. I work at the studio in Burbank with all the other artists. its a nice place, every one works in the dark, its lit by wacom screens.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Typical posted:

Thanks, its a cool show. I work at the studio in Burbank with all the other artists. its a nice place, every one works in the dark, its lit by wacom screens.

One day, dammit.

diddy kongs feet posted:

5am Shevlino study. Just under 45 mins.

I saw your studies and picked up gurneys color and light. It should arrive in the week! I've been putting off studies for years and I want to try my hand at some rougher digital painting. I've got all these beautiful Kyle Webster photoshop brushes but, embarrassingly, I don't really know where to start. Can anyone help me out with some thoughtful guides for traditional painting or recreating traditional painting aesthetics with digital painting?

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Few sketches I did today that I may end up using for a comic later.

and

Do you feel thirsty yet.

TheGreekOwl fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 19, 2014

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

^^^ I do feel thirsty. Nice work on the can!

I think I'm done with the grumpy trolloc. Now it's time for some beer.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

typ0ninja
Jan 9, 2005

Diddy Kong you are seriously killing it lately, keep it up. What are you using to get that pallet knife effect?

Also have a landscape study!

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
pixelish art for a game I'm working on:

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!
Awesome to the max.

Pink looks great with Nintendo gray.

Also thought the second photo was a painting (edit: because of the interesting perspective on the canvas, then I looked around) - I wouldn't put it past you.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Here's a thing. Some sorta of weird retro-future, french, surveillance nazi-valkyrie.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Baldbeard posted:

Are you drawing from a photo reference? Starting as children, we automatically exaggerate the import features of the face. Instinctively, we make the eyes too big, the nose too long, and we give the lips a non existent solid outline. The only way to break this habit is to spend a lot of time drawing what you see, rather than what you know is there. Use a reference for a while and be vigilant in copying the proportions.

In short, facial proportions are a mind-gently caress because we can hardly separate reality from our internal version of 'a face'. It takes a lot of practice to get it down, and we can't really get better at drawing realistic people without using real references and being super meticulous about it -- at least for many years.
I am drawing from photo references, actually! It's really frustrating, because I'm a decent sketcher and even okay at life drawing, but it's just so hard for me to overcome my bias about how I think the facial features should look. :( Right now I'm making a conscious effort to draw the facial features far smaller than seems right to me, trying to break myself out of the googly-eyed mould. I've put off trying to draw actual realistic humans for far too long, but I'm committed to getting it right now, even though it's going to take a long time and be super-embarrassing.

I didn't have access to a tablet or a scanner on the weekend so I had to use graphite like some sort of primitive.

This looked okay but -

:lol:

And today's picture:

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Avshalom posted:

This looked okay but -

:lol:

That just looks like you're not constructing your drawing. At least put a couple of marks down on the page so you get the proportions right before you dive in. Like this (not mine).

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I've been copying some Tony Riff illustrations in a effort to improve (I'm still very much a beginner), but I feel like I'm having trouble coming up with ideas of my own, and can't really draw anything without a reference. Should I be forcing myself to be original? Am I stalling my progress by emulating other people's work?

Also any feedback or advice on how to improve would be appreciated.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
There's not anything inherently wrong with copying as long as you don't try to pass it off as your own. That said, we can't really gauge you "skill level" based off of your copies of someone else's work, especially when it's cartoony and simple. I'm willing to be it took him years to develop that style and he can also draw naturalistic representation pretty well. By copying you're limiting yourself to a certain way of drawing something, which while cool looking, doesn't represent the entire scope of art out there. I guess it really depends on what you want out of your art. Do you want to be able to draw anything and everything or only cartoony caricatures? Do you want to try and make money selling your art, or is it only for your personal entertainment/gratification?

edit: Looking at Tony Riff's work, it's obvious that he has a good concept of general form and structure. It is [b}REALLY[/b] helpful and important to figure out the fundamentals of drawing before jumping into a cartoony or minimalistic sort-of style.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 22, 2014

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

One of those, I don't know what to draw -- so gently caress it -- moods.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Can't be damned to do real work right now.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Hope everybody had a great easter. Here are some old bunnies I made in zbrush. I posted them here before but I wanted to put them next to the original sketches by Gris Grimly.

Bonus Valentine's day version here:

. . . and a Cat In The Hat.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 22, 2014

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I took a photo of a piranha in a bucket of formaldehyde and the flash lined up directly with the eye and welp.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

dog nougat posted:

There's not anything inherently wrong with copying as long as you don't try to pass it off as your own. That said, we can't really gauge you "skill level" based off of your copies of someone else's work, especially when it's cartoony and simple. I'm willing to be it took him years to develop that style and he can also draw naturalistic representation pretty well. By copying you're limiting yourself to a certain way of drawing something, which while cool looking, doesn't represent the entire scope of art out there. I guess it really depends on what you want out of your art. Do you want to be able to draw anything and everything or only cartoony caricatures? Do you want to try and make money selling your art, or is it only for your personal entertainment/gratification?

edit: Looking at Tony Riff's work, it's obvious that he has a good concept of general form and structure. It is [b}REALLY[/b] helpful and important to figure out the fundamentals of drawing before jumping into a cartoony or minimalistic sort-of style.

Thanks for the advice. This is only a hobby for me, but I would like to be well rounded as an artist. I guess an anatomy book or other drawing course would be better than me copying other people's work. Any suggestions?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Raffles posted:

Thanks for the advice. This is only a hobby for me, but I would like to be well rounded as an artist. I guess an anatomy book or other drawing course would be better than me copying other people's work. Any suggestions?

Proko's channel is a pretty good resource for anatomy.
Bridgman is good too.

Scott Robertson's How to Draw is a good book to learn perspective from.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Proko's channel is a pretty good resource for anatomy.
Bridgman is good too.

Scott Robertson's How to Draw is a good book to learn perspective from.

Many thanks

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

This is something I picked up from "how to draw the marvel way," but it does seem to ring true to me: When looking at a human head straight on [like in your drawing,] the head tends to be about five "eye lengths" across, with one eye length between the eyes. Obviously that isn't true for every human head out there, but it's something to keep in mind. For reference, check out the top example on this page: http://www.realcolorwheel.com/human.htm

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I'm still not seeing enough cranium, I think. Like someone before said, it's tempting to make the face take up most of the head because that's what we focus on, but there's a lot more forehead than we think.

I experimented a bit with the proportions of the head, here:

Also, I added ears.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Phylodox posted:

I'm still not seeing enough cranium, I think. Like someone before said, it's tempting to make the face take up most of the head because that's what we focus on, but there's a lot more forehead than we think.

I experimented a bit with the proportions of the head, here:

Also, I added ears.

Yeah, I think that's it. Adding the extra head made it go, for me, from "something isn't right" to "nice stylistic exaggeration".

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG

drat that is awesome

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

X-post from pixel thread. I just finished a doodle from concept to pixel portrait and character for a game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The eye/mouth are separate drawings but it looks funny together.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

The Heavy Readers Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't even know what I was doing here. And yes I did construction lines, photo reference, all that poo poo. I wasn't going to post it but maybe someone will get some delight and consternation out of it.

• Locked thread