Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kegluneq posted:

They know their place - rightfully feared and isolated from modern society.

I would posit that a rich family would want to be feared for their financial power and isolated from the riff-raff in a nice gated community

1903: the British conquer the Sokoto Caliphate and incorporate part of it into the Northern Nigeria Protectorate, leaving the rest to the French and Germans

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

KKKlean Energy posted:

I would posit that a rich family would want to be feared for their financial power and isolated from the riff-raff in a nice gated community
My understanding is that their house is a museum, where people come to see them. In that respect they could be said to be offering a vital local service by offering a recreational past time, while preserving the architectural heritage of the community along with their own outsider status. As the locals are willing to don culturally appropriate apparel prior to visits, it seems they are successful in that regard.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 2, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm serious Mahmoud, can we just replace it with

History's Greatest Monsters:
Dracula
Bride of Frankenstein
Mr Hyde
Imhotep
Morticia Addams
James Sullivan
List is too Western-Eurocentric, although Dracula is a good inclusion as a landed aristocrat who survives by leeching on others. Mr Hyde too, as representative of a Marxian separation of the separation of the man into opposing creative and destructive/acquisitive forces. Needs more vampire watermelons and umbrella monsters though.

Why is Imhotep on there? His curse was only set into motion against interference by imperialist grave robbers. Or is it because he was a civil engineer, doctor, and architect and so probably an upper-middle class tory?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kegluneq posted:

My understanding is that their house is a museum, where people come to see them. In that respect they could be said to be offering a vital local service by offering a recreational past time, while preserving the architectural heritage of the community along with their own outsider status. As the locals are willing to don culturally appropriate apparel prior to visits, it seems they are successful in that regard.

It's easy to determine whose property needs burnin' - it's parasitic vermin like the Addams Family.

*click click*

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So Ed Miliband called David Cameron the Dunce of Downing Street and apparently it's sticking. Odd how popular it is with people who told me I should be polite to Tories after I told Douglas Carswell to privatize his face so I can pay to stomp on it forever.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

So Ed Miliband called David Cameron the Dunce of Downing Street and apparently it's sticking. Odd how popular it is with people who told me I should be polite to Tories after I told Douglas Carswell to privatize his face so I can pay to stomp on it forever.

That doesn't seem exactly the same though really does it?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well, parliamentary language seems to be a relic now. Cameron swore last week, and this week muppets. Makes sense, give no shits about the electorate, give no shits about parliamentary procedure.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
I hope someone throws chips in eric pickles' smug fat face.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

That doesn't seem exactly the same though really does it?

I will admit I'm a step above the out of work HIGNFY writer that fed him that line but other than that I don't see the difference.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

I hope someone throws chips in eric pickles' smug fat face.

He would just catch them out of the air with his gaping maw

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dear UKMT, I have a deposit question. My previous landlord is trying to charge me £??? (£65 + however much it costs replace a lock) for faults that are clearly noted down in the initial inspection sheet. The trouble is that they are my first private landlord and it would be nice to have a recommendation letter from them. We haven't had any real conflicts until now, so I'm thinking I'll just let them take the money.

Is this sensible or should I be fighting the charges? They sent me an official letter saying that until they get the deposit they are severing all communication with me except in writing. So I assume they are knowingly trying to screw me over (I did tell them about the faults repeatedly including when I was moving out). ALAB

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Don't pay them anything. Send a letter requesting the details of your tenancy deposit protection scheme so that you can open a dispute with them. Either they send you that information and you open a dispute and you keep your money, or they don't and they open themselves up to a greater legal liability. Odds are that they'll drop everything to save hassle.

Citizens Advice will be able to give you a better amount of guidance, there will be one in your area.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think it's because Brand is a pervert and Webb is a libertarian? The Brand thing is definitely to do with the way he treats women.

Being very attractive to women and then sleeping with them. What a monster.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Oh, not again.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Wait the anti-Brand thing is because of the womanising thing and not his political shitshow?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Saki posted:

Wait the anti-Brand thing is because of the womanising thing and not his political shitshow?

I thought it was that he looks like a skinny Hagrid.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

KKKlean Energy posted:

I have a question: how are housing markets faring in other parts of the world? Is the UK (or London specifically) a supernova of house prices in an otherwise timid galaxy of brown dwarfs? Or are other countries also implementing stupid schemes and seeing bubble absurdity?
Yes it is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Saki posted:

Yes him being a rather charming random devil/tosser doesnt really make him an authority on politics in the UK. I wish he would get off his dont vote position and run against Boris though ..... imagine it, legernd vs wanker

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Been some top posts itt, especially that Adams Family song rewrite.

Please avoid Brand Chat, continue with above.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Bozza posted:

Gracias , Senor

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Bozza posted:

You ain't the bozza me.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

Hey, It's not my fault that I had to play John Major to Zero Gravitas's Margaret Thatcher.

Do not compare me to that vile woman. I have a lot of qualities that make a comparison irrelevant: I have a pulse and a sense of compassion. :argh:

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Dear UKMT, I have a deposit question. My previous landlord is trying to charge me £??? (£65 + however much it costs replace a lock) for faults that are clearly noted down in the initial inspection sheet. The trouble is that they are my first private landlord and it would be nice to have a recommendation letter from them. We haven't had any real conflicts until now, so I'm thinking I'll just let them take the money.

Is this sensible or should I be fighting the charges? They sent me an official letter saying that until they get the deposit they are severing all communication with me except in writing. So I assume they are knowingly trying to screw me over (I did tell them about the faults repeatedly including when I was moving out). ALAB

Is it common to get references from previous landlords? I've never provided one and didn't know it was a thing.

But yeah don't pay anything.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

I had a very similar issue, but the landlord acted through an agency, so I sent a copy of the initial inspection sheet to them, and they caved pretty quickly (for all I know the actual landlord had no idea - I've heard agencies can be shady like that).

Do what I did. If you have no agency to talk to, just go direct to landlord. Don't be an rear end about it, just tell them that the lock was already broken (as noted in attached document) and that you believe the charge to be a mistake. Don't mention deposit protection schemes just yet. Save that for later. Make copies of all correspondence.

Odd that he's cutting off communication? That sounds suspicious, somehow. If you don't mind sharing, you can PM me the letter he sent you and I can advise on that. Send emails if you can. Sounds like he wants to be able to have the excuse of "i never received your letter!" and "my reply must have been lost in the post!" and poo poo like that.

I don't think you need to approach the CAB at this stage. Only if it escalates.

And if you ever encounter a landlord who asks for a reference from a previous landlord, tell them to gently caress off, because that just means you've found an rear end in a top hat landlord. In my experience, landlords won't ask for that. At most they might ask for evidence you have a job.

Or see what happens if you say "Sure OK. In the meantime, could you please provide a reference from a previous tenant" - no reason why it shouldn't go both ways.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 2, 2014

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

KKKlean Energy posted:

Odd that he's cutting off communication? That sounds suspicious, somehow. If you don't mind sharing, you can PM me the letter he sent you and I can advise on that. Send emails if you can. Sounds like he wants to be able to have the excuse of "i never received your letter!" and "my reply must have been lost in the post!" and poo poo like that.

Incidentally, this is the reason why you should be sending your letters by recorded delivery so that if it goes to court (or deposit protection scheme dispute) you have proof you have made an effort to contact the guy in writing instead of he said/she said.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lady Gaza posted:

Is it common to get references from previous landlords? I've never provided one and didn't know it was a thing.

But yeah don't pay anything.

I've had landlords ask for references before, but then I'm not british so that might be a part of it.

KKKlean Energy posted:

I had a very similar issue, but the landlord acted through an agency, ...

I don't think you need to approach the CAB at this stage. Only if it escalates.

I can post most of it (it was an email not a physical letter) on pastebin, there aren't really any private details in there: pastebin.
It doesn't even make much sense since correspondence presumably implies writing.

Edit: It is in fact through an agency, but they own most of their flats so it's a bit iffy.
Edit 2: I'll just send them a copy of the inspection sheet and see what they say, thanks. Maybe they hope I lost it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 2, 2014

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

BTW Lemondrizzle;

quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/apr/02/london-house-prices-rise-bubble-nationwide

House prices in London have increased by almost a fifth over the past 12 months, and are now 20% above their pre-crisis peak, according to the latest data from the country's biggest building society.

In news that will fuel concerns of a price bubble in the capital, Nationwide building society said the average price of a London home had increased by 18% over the year and by 5.3% in the past three months alone, and at £362,699 was now more than twice the figure for the rest of the UK.

Nationwide's index showed big price increases elsewhere, including the city of Manchester, where prices were up by 18% year-on-year, to £211,748, but across the north of England prices remained below the 2007 peak.

The society reported a slight slowing in price growth in March, saying the average cost of a UK home had risen by 0.4%, to £180,264, the smallest monthly increase since June 2013.

However, the annual rate of price inflation continued to increase, and across the country homes are selling for 9.2% more than a year ago.

The figures, which are based on mortgages approved by the society and adjusted to reflect the cost of a "typical home", show that the recovery in the housing market has spread beyond the south-east, with all 13 regions of the UK recording growth of more than 5% between the first quarter of 2013 and the same period of 2014.

However, the south-east saw the biggest jump, with prices in London's commuter belt rising by 10.6% to an average of £273,998, and the rest of the south-east also recording double-digit growth of 10.1% to an average of £217,534.

Increases were more muted in the rest of the UK, with Wales recording the lowest annual growth of 5.2%.

"Record low mortgage rates, improved availability of credit and the brighter economic outlook are all leading to increased demand for housing," Gardner said.

"However, the upturn in the supply side of the market continues to lag far behind, with the number of new homes being built in England still around 40% below pre-crisis levels, and this was already insufficient to keep up with the increase in the number of households being formed."

:munch:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

It's not a "recovery" in the housing market ffs

Food prices up: hooray, a recovery in the food market!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Zephro posted:

Don't give them ideas.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

I can post most of it (it was an email not a physical letter) on pastebin, there aren't really any private details in there: pastebin.
It doesn't even make much sense since correspondence presumably implies writing.

That seems a pretty benign letter actually, and yes I think 'writing' includes emailing.

A question: you say you were gonna be charged £65 plus the lock cost - is that because the blind is gonna cost £65, or is £65 some sort of admin charge for making a deduction from your deposit?

If the latter, you should absolutely include in your message that you believe the charge to be unreasonable and that you are willing to incur an admin charge no greater than £10. (I did that with mine - they tried to charge me £20... but £65 is just outrageous)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zephro posted:

Hey, we're 3% below peak in nominal terms and ~18% off in real terms. Plenty of recovery to go yet! Besides, this is probably just the overture; the real show will begin when Osborne's pension changes kick in and the nation's retirees collectively dump their life savings into BTL.

:unsmigghh:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

LemonDrizzle posted:

Hey, we're 3% below peak in nominal terms and ~18% off in real terms.
In London we're at/above the peak, according to that article, but yeah.

quote:

Plenty of recovery to go yet! Besides, this is probably just the overture; the real show will begin when Osborne's pension changes kick in and the nation's retirees collectively dump their life savings into BTL.

My one hope is that when they all start to die the glut of supply will cause a price crash.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Private Speech, it looks like you're dealing with the agency directly... did they not use a deposit protection scheme? Disputes like this are exactly what deposit protection schemes were set up to mediate and if they haven't used one (assuming you had an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007) you could be liable to get your entire deposit back.

e: I should mention that a while back I asked about my options in this regard and ended up writing a series of letters to my lovely noncompliant landlord, ending with a Letter Before Action which was enough to make him refund the deposit in full last week. Thanks UKMT!

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 2, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Landlords are way nicer about deposits since they were held in that third party deposit scheme. It's great when you mention that and they realise they will have to account for their claim and suddenly they drop it :D

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Party Boat posted:

if they haven't used one (assuming you had an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007) you could be liable to get your entire deposit back.

:eng101: three times your deposit back!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

LemonDrizzle posted:

Besides, this is probably just the overture; the real show will begin when Osborne's pension changes kick in and the nation's retirees collectively dump their life savings into BTL.

I'm honestly curious about this, and whether we as a society will be collectively OK with the concentration of the housing stock in fewer and fewer hands, and a shift from a culture that emphasies home-ownership for everybody to one that's resigned to renting for the majority. Especially since our renting laws are almost hilariously pro-landlord.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Hey, we're 3% below peak in nominal terms and ~18% off in real terms. Plenty of recovery to go yet! Besides, this is probably just the overture; the real show will begin when Osborne's pension changes kick in and the nation's retirees collectively dump their life savings into BTL.

Zephro posted:

I'm honestly curious about this, and whether we as a society will be collectively OK with the concentration of the housing stock in fewer and fewer hands, and a shift from a culture that emphasies home-ownership for everybody to one that's resigned to renting for the majority. Especially since our renting laws are almost hilariously pro-landlord.

Naah this is fine right guys?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

KKKlean Energy posted:

:eng101: three times your deposit back!

Yeah, we decided not to press for that given the hassle of dragging it through the courts, as well as the possibility that a judge might not decide any compensation was appropriate given he complied once we threatened legal action.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zephro posted:

My one hope is that when they all start to die the glut of supply will cause a price crash.

I'm going to break a tenner by buying three houses and having two demolished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

What the hell was happening in '88/89? :psyduck:

• Locked thread