Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm serious Mahmoud, can we just replace it with

History's Greatest Monsters:
Dracula
Bride of Frankenstein
Mr Hyde
Imhotep
Morticia Addams
James Sullivan
List is too Western-Eurocentric, although Dracula is a good inclusion as a landed aristocrat who survives by leeching on others. Mr Hyde too, as representative of a Marxian separation of the separation of the man into opposing creative and destructive/acquisitive forces. Needs more vampire watermelons and umbrella monsters though.

Why is Imhotep on there? His curse was only set into motion against interference by imperialist grave robbers. Or is it because he was a civil engineer, doctor, and architect and so probably an upper-middle class tory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ddraig posted:

So the Welsh government is looking to ban e-cigarettes in public places.
This truly confuses me. They are harmless to everyone, what with them being mostly water vapour.
They were saying that it "normalized smoking", even though it's purposefully designed to be a less harmful and less intrusive replacement. In the same way that putting the kettle on at work normalizes building wood fires in the breakroom I guess.

They were also playing the gateway drug routine on the news, despite there being no evidence at all that people start with e-cigarettes and then graduate to tobacco instead of the other way around.

Some cities in the US have tried the exact same thing recently, public e-cig bans with no other reason than 'it looks like smoking and so people might see it and then smoke'. I'm tempted to blame tobacco lobby involvement too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trickjaw posted:

Farage would get monster-pissed and start talking loudly about the black people sitting at a table in the corner
"Why are you calling me a racist? I didn't bring race into this, you're the one who said 'black'. I just said those people over there would be better off going to their own pub with their type of music and leaving the rest of us alone. You're the racist here."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

IceAgeComing posted:

is that also including Russia? If so, you have a pal in everyone's favourite permabanned poster
"I am going to kill you Richard." should be enshrined in Fowler's Modern English Usage as the opening to all formal letters.

Especially letters to people not named Richard, and

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Grills are fine for all toast in general, just turn the bread over a couple of times. Gas is cheaper too.

Or if you don't have a gas grill, one of those small toaster ovens will do most toasted things and use less power than a full sized electric oven grill element.

General China posted:

Some things should never be done.
I assume using those little toastie bags that go in a toaster, and cutting the bread diagonally also fall under this?

edit:

Tortuga posted:

Why didn't it work? It looks like it should work. That photo in the article makes it look really tempting actually.
Hard to say. Maybe some melted cheese rolled down and hit the bottom set of elements. Maybe the electromagnetic catch that releases the spring and turns off the elements didn't work when the toaster was on its side, and so the toaster kept on toasting until something caught fire. Maybe the lack of airflow (the slots provide a chimney flue effect when upright) caused something to overheat? I wouldn't try it without keeping a close eye on it.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 9, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LemonDrizzle posted:

Is everyone looking forward to receiving their taxpayer statement? It'll give you an ever so handy breakdown of how much tax you paid and how your money was spent by the government over the last year:

Wow, that big orange sector looks like it could stand to be trimmed a bit!
That chart's at least good for one thing, it puts the "all our money is going off to Brussels and BongoNot Racist Land when we can't even cover our own bills" arguments into some perspective (the perspective being the dustbin where they belong).

And at least they didn't call welfare or a section of it 'benefits'. The word welfare hasn't quite been tainted to the extent that it has in the US yet.

Cerv posted:

part of the Tory part.
it's a big split in the party, almost up there with wet / dry and pro/anti europe.
As in Thatcherite vs. traditional/'compassionate', right? Not a contingent of Tories that supports prohibition of alcohol? Not that it would surprise me given the attitudes towards 'disorder' and 'poor people having nice things'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
While we're on Churchchat, Christians in the Hand of an Angry God is an interesting read about the rise of the Christian Right and how the duty to help the poor has been increasingly written out (despite being one of the major focuses of the New Testament) and replaced with clutching at straws to shout about gays and abortion.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Umiapik posted:

Yeah, I remember a guy that came back from a period abroad and tried to put his house on the market, only to be told by the puzzled conveyancers that he didn't actually own it any more.
People who sell properties they don't own are classic entrepreneurs who should be allowed to operate without interference. Why do you hate ingenuity?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Didn't he also say something along the lines of "kids today don't know how to work, I was happy working 16 hour shifts without breaks blah blah blah"
Also the British don't know how to work, and how other cultures have a better work ethic for 100 hour weeks and no days off.
So he basically prefers hiring immigrants who are in a worse economic position or aren't as aware of their employment rights so he can exploit them further benefit from their culture of striving and getting on :jerkbag:.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zero Gravitas posted:

Man, I dont like hyperbole but the Tories really arent that far off the evil moustache twirling Dick Dastardly sometimes.
UKMT: May '14 - An entire party of moustache-twirling Dicks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

spikenigma posted:

:psyduck:

Source?

Is there some sort of widespread suicide cult that throws themselves into dams?
Most of the sources I've seen put hydro as quite safe. Those are for the EU though, so I'm guessing that's because there haven't been any serious dam failures there (since EU formation, or over the study period, so excluding acts of war/malice).

From 'Economic Analysis of Various Options of Electricity Generation – Taking into Account Health and Environmental Effects', part of an EU External Costs of Energy study.
Nuclear is still the safest, besting wind and hydro for deaths/TWh. Coal and oil remain atrocious. It only takes into account electricity production, which is why GB has no deaths for oil, not because there haven't been serious incidents or environmental consequences from pulling it out of the ground/sea.

The main take-home point is that coal and oil are poo poo, and while the consequences from a failing hydro or nuclear plant may be worse than others, the day to day running hazards of the others far more than offset that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure what's up with France's oil deaths. I've heard it could be poor environmental controls on plants or their drilling adventures in Africa, which have had lax worker safety.

e: Another reason could be that France gets a very large percentage of power from nuclear, so if you're only getting a tiny amount from coal or oil, any incidents will be magnified on a deaths/TWh graph.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 25, 2014

• Locked thread