Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just had the Guardian call me for quotes on Farage saying stupid poo poo about Syria and the August 21st Sarin attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-OatBpJq3E

:rip:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Seaside Loafer posted:

I bet bob really hates Mondays now. Sorry.

The Metro may have managed to find the only thing more tasteless than that as a front cover

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

loving hell, that's outrageous. There's no way they got the rights to that picture licence!

he said, trying to silence the picture editor in his head

You see, once something is posted on Twitter, it's no longer covered by copyright law.

I expect.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Anyone read the Guardian editorials today?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The funny thing is the intelligence agencies are pretty much the only people who haven't approached me, and I reliably informed my work is discussed and shared at very high levels in intelligence agencies. A couple of weeks ago there was a piece where it was claimed Human Rights Watch had said US and French intelligence had told them my work on August 21st was better than theirs. On the balance of things, I think that's more frightening for the world than cool for me.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm hoping someone has seen if it was in print, but here it is. It's sort of fitting my first attempts at video verification was because I was trying to win an argument on the Guardian Middle East Live Blog, and now I might end up with a column on video verification in the Guardian.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I was told a big US paper was doing a piece on my August 21st work before the UN report was released, mainly about how amazing it was how much information you could get about the attack from social media, and they asked someone in the US intelligence community what they thought. Supposedly, he told them my work was total nonsense, none of it was true, and the paper cancelled the story. A week later, the UN report was published, and everything in there matched with what I had been publishing on my blog.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

Clearly, then, we need to privatise our intelligence agencies. :torysay:

Outsource it to bloggers, it's the Big Society solution Cameron would love.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Finally the proud Cornish people are free from the oppressive yoke of the English

quote:

The Cornish receive full National Minority status as one of the constituent peoples of the UK

"The embargo has been comprehensively broken so you may well have seen that the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander MP, will tomorrow announce that the government will recognise the Cornish under the Framework Convention for Protection of National Minorities.

The government is due to make a submission to the Council of Europe later this year to update the convention (see here) which is designed to protect and promote cultural diversity. The government will consult on the content of its submission in advance so everyone will get a chance to have their say.

Being recognised as a minority may sound like a technicality but it’s a big deal. The Cornish will have the same protections as the Welsh, Scottish and the Irish, meaning government departments and public bodies will be required to take Cornish views into account when making decisions. This is extremely important given our status as the poorest place in the UK. Cornwall still receives Convergence funding from the EU because we are poorer than parts of Eastern Europe. Too often national policies have failed to take into account our unique economy and issues. It will no longer be legally possible to ignore Cornwall.

I'm off to celebrate down Trago with a pasty!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zero Gravitas posted:

Trago started in Cornwall though. Did you know that the guy in charge even tried to make his own light aeroplane for export once?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLS_Sprint

Isn't the Trago guy a huge UKIPer? Going back years I remember the adverts for Trago Mills in the local paper consisting of a full page ad that was mostly the owner complaining about something political.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Yes, I found out about this because if you go to the book section in Trago they have bizarre nationalist political tracts in one corner of the shelves because the owner is such a UKIP nutjob. Or the one I go to does anyway. It also had a slightly worrying number of books about Nazis for some (surely unrelated!) reason.

There's a great blog post on Trago Mills and UKIP here, a glimpse into the Twlight Zone of the southwest's political landscape.

quote:

Most denizens of the fair counties of Devon and Cornwall will be subjected to this political side of Trago through newspaper advertisements. These feature in most local papers on a regular basis and usually take the form of a full page spread of the latest offers and then in the corner a little op-ed boxout by David Chalice, a member of UKIP. ‘Speakers Corner’, as it’s known, is an interesting read if you want an concise insight into the UKIP mindset. All the cliches are here, from the ‘Loony Left’, BBC bias and all the rest of it. Here’s a link to some people on Mumsnet getting justifiably angry about a piece on women.

These adverts are completely legitimate to both the Advertising Standards Agency and the Electoral Commission. I checked this with both after I spied a particularly nasty one about gay marriage while eating my Coco Pops one morning (Look, I was ‘in-between jobs’). Essentially, Trago as a business can act as an explicit mouthpiece for the party in its advertisements. Quite the money saver for UKIP.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

In case anyone is interested, I'm doing a Guardian Masteclass in July, How to be a citizen journalist with Brown Moses.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some people have decided to abuse UKIP's Freepost address. Here we have a brick with a UKIP leaflet wrapped around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Farage has bottled it and said he won't stand in the Newark by-election.

• Locked thread