Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
gently caress you, I'm making this month's thread.

But let's stay on topic here, folks. According to the Long Green Line's most venerable news source, Army Times, the new AR 670-1 is already stirring up heated controversy, eclipsing less important subjects like sexual harassment or the impending reductions in force.

psydude fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

50fa is laughing somewhere.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
this thread sucks

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cole posted:

this thread sucks

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cole posted:

this thread sucks

You're only allowed to post in it for two more weeks, though. It'll get better soon enough.

gordan freidberg
Feb 5, 2011
I'm out in 2.5 month jesus god gently caress it can't come soon enough. Just learned I get like 40% GI bill benefits for serving 1 day past my initial service obligation booya.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/defense-secretary-looking-banning-tobacco-sales-military-installations_786389.html

Not sure if april fools or not.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

It's not, the linked article is older.

I don't get why they would ban tobacco sales and not booze.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's not, the linked article is older.

I don't get why they would ban tobacco sales and not booze.

Probably because they'd rather people not drive somewhere else to get drunk (and then drive back).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

at the date posted:

Probably because they'd rather people not drive somewhere else to get drunk (and then drive back).

C'mon, if that was the thinking they'd just pull liberty.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Why isn't there a changelog for the new 670-1? Are the changes all tattoo / hair poo poo? I have to put together a dress uniform for the first time in 6 years and can't tell if anything is different or not.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ryan_woody posted:

Why isn't there a changelog for the new 670-1? Are the changes all tattoo / hair poo poo? I have to put together a dress uniform for the first time in 6 years and can't tell if anything is different or not.

It's at the very front of the AR.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

psydude posted:

It's at the very front of the AR.

gently caress.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

can we not let officers make threads, no ofefnse sir(s) but it just isnt the same without a statement about the army's sexual orientation sir

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

sforzacio posted:

can we not let officers make threads, no ofefnse sir(s) but it just isnt the same without a statement about the army's sexual orientation sir

Reminder that it is Officers who let E9s get away with poo poo like the new 670-1. :eng101:

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
ya stupid officers amirite? the military would be run way more efficiently if we got rid of all the stupid nobles and let dudes with GEDs make all the decisions

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140331/NEWS07/303310051/Black-female-soldiers-say-new-grooming-reg-racially-biased- (copied from the OP)

I hate to be the racist here, but didn't the old 670-1 specifically ban "faddish hairstyles"? I remember there was a furor about tapered sideburns (for males) or some poo poo when I was in. The argument that one of these soldiers has(who sent a petition to the White House, no less) is literally "what am I supposed to do with my hair if I can't wear it this way?"

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

ya stupid officers amirite? the military would be run way more efficiently if we got rid of all the stupid nobles and let dudes with GEDs make all the decisions

Cigarette rations would be back.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

gleep gloop posted:

Cigarette rations would be back.

welp you sold me

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
If they put them in MRE's, can you imagine the amount ratfucking that would happen to any unsecured boxes of them.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Richard Bong posted:

If they put them in MRE's, can you imagine the amount ratfucking that would happen to any unsecured boxes of them.

You'd need to put them under armed guard.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Hell you probably should
Now thinking back. People would make off with cases any chance they get to save money. I knew a guy who lived off MREs at home for a couple weeks.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
At what point does one say "no matter how much money I'm saving, I miss being able to poop" and throw in the towel?

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
I've never had a problem poopin after MREs. Did you guys just never drink water or something?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You must have a golden rear end in a top hat. I usually poo poo a painful brick after a day or two of MRE consumption.

E: Imagine being on opiates and subsisting on MREs. Your bowels would be like an anti-poop generator.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

You must have a golden rear end in a top hat. I usually poo poo a painful brick after a day or two of MRE consumption.

E: Imagine being on opiates and subsisting on MREs. Your bowels would be like an anti-poop generator.

Pretty sure thats how diamonds are made

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

The trick is making sure you eat all the cheese spread. All of it.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
just read the new 670-1

670-1 is gay
army is gay
my life is gay

brb suicide

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

just read the new 670-1

670-1 is gay
army is gay
my life is gay

brb suicide

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

just read the new 670-1

670-1 is gay
army is gay
my life is gay

brb suicide

How about we take that hat off while ITT before the SMA has an aneurism troop.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

gleep gloop posted:

Hell you probably should
Now thinking back. People would make off with cases any chance they get to save money. I knew a guy who lived off MREs at home for a couple weeks.

http://time.com/45253/ukraine-corruption-tymoshenko-kiev/

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

just read the new 670-1

670-1 is gay
army is gay
my life is gay

brb suicide

Didn't mean to burn the whole place down after I left, my bad

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
although, i did learn from it that the chief of staff of the army can "prescribe their own uniform" which makes me wonder why they don't just say "fuckit" and go nuts

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

although, i did learn from it that the chief of staff of the army can "prescribe their own uniform" which makes me wonder why they don't just say "fuckit" and go nuts

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Uniforms by Gaga

iceslice
May 20, 2005

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

I'm going to guess that although many people have the authority to change whatever the gently caress they want about any branch of the military, ultimately they have to fund that shitshow of an idea. Lets not forget that mom still has the checkbook.

Flipped through AR670-1 changes today. It honestly looks like someone thought to themselves "holy gently caress the Army interpreted our intent in the most retarded way possible. We better spell it out to them." With lots of pictures, and a pinch of racism. Specifically the sideburns thing. "Lowest opening of the ear" was pretty commonsense, and so many times I see dudes walking around looking like sideburnless aliens. The only exception is the moouusstachhe, which still leaves everyone looking like a pedophile, hippie, hitler, or (if you're a CW5 and continue to give no fucks) badass.

edit: The best part is the amount of material they produced about how to be a leader, lesson plan books, etc. that say literally nothing. I wonder how much time and money was spent on them. The only good poo poo is those Youtube videos, which is blocked on post.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 2, 2014

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

iceslice posted:

edit: The best part is the amount of material they produced about how to be a leader, lesson plan books, etc. that say literally nothing. I wonder how much time and money was spent on them.

if you find a number you have just found the cost of a bullet point

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

heritage not hate

iceslice
May 20, 2005

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

if you find a number you have just found the cost of a bullet point

o increased United States Army readiness by contracting website https://www.cape.army.mil to civilians

Holy poo poo I just realized that every example "Excellence" bulletpoint on armywriter.com is administrative. I have yet to find one that is related in any way to combat operations. Weird.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oh good, the new evaluation system automatically logs you out if there's no change in your session state after 5 minutes.

In other words, if you spend more than 5 minutes, say, typing up your performance objectives and achievements, you'll lose all of your work. Way to loving go, Army.

• Locked thread