Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What the gently caress is going on with Vanille's accent? Is it Australian? English? Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a pun so awful that it's a disk snapper.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I have no clue. I think it's supposed to be Australian? Her voice actress is Australian, at least. She seems to also have a fairly heavy lisp, which makes it a little more indecipherable as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I always found it weird how Vanille keeps randomly moaning in battle.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
its a cartoon accent. This game is like the phantom menace and she is in many ways like jar jar (cartoony comic relief that's people were supposed to like)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
She's obviously supposed to be some cutesy mysterious magical anime girl. The only thing missing that would complete the image is pink hair.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
As bad as the whole intro is, the Hope and Vanille segment at the beginning of this section contains just about the only instance of subtlety in this game I can think of. And its even integrated into the gameplay!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

1stGear posted:

What the gently caress is going on with Vanille's accent? Is it Australian? English? Who knows!

Vanille's actress is Australian, but the director responsible for the voice cast specifically requested actors who could do Australian accents. The reason is a bit spoilery so I won't go into that.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 7, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I am dumb

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 8, 2014

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

I remember reading a story about Vanille's VA asking people about how much they liked the demo, and one player said 'I liked it but i found Vanille's voice annoying'. She replied with 'Really?' in Vanille's voice :v:

The Vestige is a weird place. How did they get inside? How large is the vestige? What is the purpose of the vestige?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In Pork Lift's LP, they compared Vanille's accent to a South African accent, which is pretty similar to an Aussie, and having lived in SA, I can hear it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Big Nothing posted:

I remember reading a story about Vanille's VA asking people about how much they liked the demo, and one player said 'I liked it but i found Vanille's voice annoying'. She replied with 'Really?' in Vanille's voice :v:

The Vestige is a weird place. How did they get inside? How large is the vestige? What is the purpose of the vestige?

That will be addressed in some fashion, though I can't remember how exactly.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Clearly when my last post was a thinly-veiled "Shut the gently caress about Chapter 3 and the real combat system", the ideal solution is to continue talking about it.

Big Nothing posted:

That was the whole point of stealing the hoverbikes last chapter. It even pans over their crashed bike in the first 15 seconds of the video I just posted. As for its purpose, that's in the Location datalog for the Vestige, which will be posted next update.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Artix posted:

That was the whole point of stealing the hoverbikes last chapter. It even pans over their crashed bike in the first 15 seconds of the video I just posted. As for its purpose, that's in the Location datalog for the Vestige, which will be posted next update.

That i understand. Does it have a door? A wide open arch at some point for the hoverbike to fly through?

I understand whats inside the vestige, just not exactly why whats inside the vestige needs the vestige at all.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I went back and watched Yahtzee's review of FFXIII again and it's still just ridiculously spot-on. The beginning of this game is just so...drawn out for the very purpose of being drawn out.

Also, one thing that drives me absolutely god drat nuts about this game is the voice acting. Not that the voice actors are bad at all, they've got a great cast. But the lines are all so sharply cut off, often nonsensical, and end up being a mess. It's probably because of matching to the lip flap from the original Japanese (which is always a huge challenge) but if you just try to listen to conversations, they sound absurdly stilted and awkward and it just makes me so annoyed :tizzy:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

theshim posted:

It's probably because of matching to the lip flap from the original Japanese (which is always a huge challenge) but if you just try to listen to conversations, they sound absurdly stilted and awkward and it just makes me so annoyed :tizzy:

Nah I think they're just redoing (or, more likely, have tools that do) lip sync for different languages these days. They might stick to the Japanese cutscene timings though, not sure, would have to look that up.

Anyway, the problem here is almost certainly entirely the writing itself and not the performance of it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The voice direction was awful/non-existant for the American dub. Lightning, for example, is much more emotive in the Japanese version.
Vanille's voice actress was asked to copy all the moans and whatnot that the Japanese voice actress does. They literally told her "do what the Japanese one does."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm pretty sure Snow is Troy Baker so yeah, its probably not his fault if you're not getting a good performance out of him.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Nah I think they're just redoing (or, more likely, have tools that do) lip sync for different languages these days. They might stick to the Japanese cutscene timings though, not sure, would have to look that up.

Anyway, the problem here is almost certainly entirely the writing itself and not the performance of it.
It's probably that they stuck to the timings. It just drives me up the wall, because they've got good voice actors and such awful, awful lines.

It's kind of a testament to how good the voice actors are that they managed to humanize the characters as well as they do with such a horrendous script.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
It says something that Ali Hillis, as :geno: as she is so far, is still more emotive here than she is as Liara in Mass Effect.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's actually a pretty great sketch that Ali Hillis and Troy Baker did after the game's release where they basically ad-libbed a scene and it was a thousand time more natural and better sounding than anything in FF13 proper. The visual backdrop it uses is unfortunately loving Chapter 11, but I'll definitely link it when the time comes because it's amazing how much better the voice acting could have been.

(Should you be unfazed by spoilers, search Youtube for "Final Fantasy XIII voice actors sketch", it'll be the first result)

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 8, 2014

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Artix posted:

There's actually a pretty great sketch that Ali Hillis and Troy Baker did after the game's release where they basically ad-libbed a scene and it was a thousand time more natural and better sounding than anything in FF13 proper. The visual backdrop it uses is unfortunately loving Chapter 11, but I'll definitely link it when the time comes because it's amazing how much better the voice acting could have been.

You're talking about the Steelguard skit, right?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That's the one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly out of all the things that rubbed me the wrong way, the voice acting wasn't one of them. Yeah it can feel a bit janky in places, but overall the cast is solid and even with awful direction they seem to get the job done. There's also one guy in particular (far, FAR down the line) who's voice actor I loving love, and every time he opens his mouth to talk I'm :allears:.

e: Holy poo poo, Snow is Troy Baker. Now I'm wondering how much better this game would be if Yuri was in it instead of Snow. :v:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 8, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I haven't heard much of Ali Hills yet but so far I like her. As said, the whole voice acting cast does a pretty good job with what they're given. There's only one person I can think of that I didn't like, and even then that was more a neutral feeling than outright disliking. Also yes, that sketch is great. Watch it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
It isn't so much the VA's being boring and disinterested so much as it is the script they were given and direction they received. Lightning was supposed to be fem-Cloud, except the writers didn't know what kind of character Cloud was to begin with and just saw him as mopey and stoic. Snow, on the other hand, is a dumbass douche that Troy Baker was able to replicate perfectly (not saying TB is like that, just that he has the voice for it and TB is a great VA).

All I can say is that it DOES get better, but not by much and not soon enough.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I haven't heard much of Ali Hills yet but so far I like her. As said, the whole voice acting cast does a pretty good job with what they're given. There's only one person I can think of that I didn't like, and even then that was more a neutral feeling than outright disliking. Also yes, that sketch is great. Watch it.

Ali Hills can definitely be a good voice actress, as she also was the voice of Palutena in Kid Icarus: Uprising, which is a general shock since she is a very funny character in that game who sounds literally nothing like Lightning.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Reminding me a bit of Dragon Quest 6/7, where getting to meat of the battle system (the Dharma Shrine) took quite a while.

Your guys at least had some drat skills beyond Attack and Item, though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

Honestly out of all the things that rubbed me the wrong way, the voice acting wasn't one of them. Yeah it can feel a bit janky in places, but overall the cast is solid and even with awful direction they seem to get the job done. There's also one guy in particular (far, FAR down the line) who's voice actor I loving love, and every time he opens his mouth to talk I'm :allears:.

e: Holy poo poo, Snow is Troy Baker. Now I'm wondering how much better this game would be if Yuri was in it instead of Snow. :v:

The voice acting slays me in this game. All these little, "Hup, ugh, whua, hic," exclamations for every jump, sidestep or emotional revelation instantly break my suspension of disbelief. I think it's an anime thing in general though? I thought I would try and keep count of them and we're already at like two dozen.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Things I like about this game:

1. This Lovecraftean idea of inexplicable alien god-things that will ruin your life as soon as they look at you and you won't even know why.
2. ...

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Here's a fact: If you'd been religiousy keeping up with the Datalog, you would have read an entry about how a Guardian Corps unit was sent into the vestige to get a handle on the situation, and they haven't been heard from in quite some time.

You would then see all these rock-zombies come shambling towards the characters, and then one of the characters would inform you that they used to be human, and then maybe you'd think "oooooooh".

Cool of them to weave that into the game so fluently, huh?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really have to thank you guys for cutting out or running past a lot of the tedious fights. I tried to watch an earlier LP of the game but stopping every 5 seconds for yet another utterly pointless fight sucked the life out of it for me.

And this time, I'm coming into it knowing what all the stupid made-up words mean, though. Good lord, that helps a lot.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Forgall posted:

Things I like about this game:

1. This Lovecraftean idea of inexplicable alien god-things that will ruin your life as soon as they look at you and you won't even know why.
2. ...

I can appreciate the basic premise of the whole fal'Cie/l'Cie rubbish for one reason: when you come in completely blind, it looks like a direct and knowing reference to the archetypal Final Fantasy plot, in which a vaguely defined and poorly understood god-like being grabs some passers by and informs them that they are now Light Warriors or some poo poo and must go and fulfil their destiny, and the whole thing is played for absurdity. Frankly, it'd be a pretty great basis on which to start an outwardly lighthearted but maybe kinda dark-ish JRPG-player's JRPG to which legions of Tropers would gleefully apply the word "deconstruction". Of course, knowing what we now know about the writing process for the game it would be foolish to credit the writing team with any self-awareness - although I'd be willing to believe that the person who first thought of the fal'Cie probably had that in mind.

(Many little things in Final Fantasy games are there because one guy thought of them and everybody gets to contribute something - a practice Squeenix probably picked up from someone capable of managing such a process and inflicted upon someone who didn't.)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Instant Grat posted:

Here's a fact: If you'd been religiousy keeping up with the Datalog, you would have read an entry about how a Guardian Corps unit was sent into the vestige to get a handle on the situation, and they haven't been heard from in quite some time.

You would then see all these rock-zombies come shambling towards the characters, and then one of the characters would inform you that they used to be human, and then maybe you'd think "oooooooh".

Cool of them to weave that into the game so fluently, huh?
God drat, that is a great observation. It sadly is too subtle, otherwise it would have been fantastic shorthand just for how callous the Fal'Cie are in treating their human subjects. I don't want to see a scene depicting them turning into Cie'th directly; in fact, that would ruin the chilling realization of what happened to the Corps. Just...show them marching in. Cut. Hope and Vanille scene; door opens. Ripped open uniforms and rifles on the floor, zombies march in. Don't dwell on the signs of their turning. But I think it needs the detail to make people able to see what happened rather than having to think about, because I'm completely fine with the game being just a visual experience and we're at a point anyway where thinking is basically impossible as we have no idea what's going on (but it sure is pretty indeed).

Also, the beginning scene needed to establish them going in would flesh out the transition from bridge to Vestige into more than a single cut, which as said always confused me. Yeah they go in there, I get it, but where do they end up, is it a hangar bay, why is the Vestige (which looks like a statue from outside) a techno-dungeon inside and so open, waaah?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Could this game work without dialogue? Just in the most abstract sense, if none of the characters ever said anything could you tell the story that Square Enix tried to tell so far?

The scene on the train could play out similarly since the only real words spoken are Sazh asking if Lightning was "sure about this."

The stuff with Nora could play out the same too, except Snow ends up looking like either an rear end in a top hat or an idiot (which are both pretty true anyway).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Simply Simon posted:

God drat, that is a great observation. It sadly is too subtle, otherwise it would have been fantastic shorthand just for how callous the Fal'Cie are in treating their human subjects. I don't want to see a scene depicting them turning into Cie'th directly; in fact, that would ruin the chilling realization of what happened to the Corps. Just...show them marching in. Cut. Hope and Vanille scene; door opens. Ripped open uniforms and rifles on the floor, zombies march in. Don't dwell on the signs of their turning. But I think it needs the detail to make people able to see what happened rather than having to think about, because I'm completely fine with the game being just a visual experience and we're at a point anyway where thinking is basically impossible as we have no idea what's going on (but it sure is pretty indeed).

Yep, believe it or not, FF13 can be subtle as hell when it wants to be. The problem, as noted, is that if you're not following the datalog, it goes from "subtle" to "completely unnoticeable". I absolutely agree that it would have benefitted from making that little bit in particular more overt, but when it comes to FF13's plot, you take what you can get.

I'm actually glad that got brought up because I totally blanked on it when we recorded this chapter and the datalog in question is with the next video.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
My favorite part about the datalog is the plot recaps, because more often than not they read like tumblr posts from overly enthusiastic fandom bloggers overanalyzing the heck out of everything.

Seriously, they can get multiple pages of fingerquotes "deep characterization" from a scene consisting of just one character looking at another character and saying "let's go".

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Holy poo poo a FFXIII LP! Godspeed, men.

The datalog is pretty rad, I read every word during my first playthrough but then again I got all the datalog things in FFXII too. Completion! It's a shame that there isn't more revealed by actually experiencing it, and the things you do experience are often inconsequential.

For the record, I like all the voice acting and I thought Hope was the best character. Come at me, goons.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bregor posted:

Holy poo poo a FFXIII LP! Godspeed, men.

The datalog is pretty rad, I read every word during my first playthrough but then again I got all the datalog things in FFXII too. Completion! It's a shame that there isn't more revealed by actually experiencing it, and the things you do experience are often inconsequential.

For the record, I like all the voice acting and I thought Hope was the best character. Come at me, goons.

I believed you up to the last sentence. I bet you thought Kefka was a pretty okay guy as well, huh?

General Leo, never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Bregor posted:

If you're going to have an in-game datalog, FFXII showed us exactly the right way to do it. For one, FFXII's bestiary is presented as though it exists in-universe. Being a document of most singular Style, it is an excellent Source of not only pertinent Information, but also Flavour, Detail &c. For another, it doesn't have flat, lifeless recountings of "Plot" and "Characters". What pages it has are fun to just browse though and read because they're entertainingly written. Someone put effort into making it worth reading that thing just for amusement. On top of that, the bonus pages you get for murdering lots of monsters contain further tidbits - also in-universe - that tell you little things like where to find rare monsters, items, crafting recipes, etc.

FFXIII's datalog just has boring plot recaps, numbers about monsters, and occasionally some interesting lore that you'll never see because it's buried under so much boring junk.

• Locked thread