Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What the gently caress is a thread bookmark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo amethyst, you've pressed more buttons complaining then what you'd theoretically gain over a year or more

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

webmeister posted:

Click the gold star at the top or bottom of every single page in the old thread

Click the gray star at the top of bottom of every single page in the new thread

Done

i'm sure this is fascinating for everyone to read, but:

-kill the book mark on the old thread
-click on the forum index
-click on d&d
-click on the new thread after looking for it in the list
-click bookmark

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Amethyst posted:

i'm sure this is fascinating for everyone to read, but:

-kill the book mark on the old thread
-click on the forum index
-click on d&d
-click on the new thread after looking for it in the list
-click bookmark

Everyone look at this inefficient noob. Perhaps you need a Commission of Audit to improve your forums efficiency? :smug:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Why are monthly threads necessary? It's irritating to update my bookmark every month and it serves no purpose.

Monthly threads are necessary to piss you off, because I enjoy that outcome greatly.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

XyloJW posted:

Monthly threads are necessary to piss you off, because I enjoy that outcome greatly.

Wow real mature

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

webmeister posted:

Everyone look at this inefficient noob. Perhaps you need a Commission of Audit to improve your forums efficiency? :smug:

$15 co-payment required per post.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Lid posted:

It has also recommended that single people aged 22 to 30 without dependents or special exemptions should have to relocate to higher employment areas if they don’t want to lose access to benefits after a period of 12 months on benefit.

Australia circa 2020: Mines are now operated by FIFO workers from Shepparton who've been kicked off the dole. They are paid minimum wage.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Amethyst posted:

Wow real mature

Lorde is more mature than you. Younger, prettier and more talented too. Stop whining about a few bookmarks clicks foo, before you have to admit you were never beat Royals.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I can't believe I'm the only decent person in this thread who cares about our valuable posters' time

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lid posted:

Lorde is more mature than you. Younger, prettier and more talented too. Stop whining about a few bookmarks clicks foo, before you have to admit you were never beat Royals.

Agreed.

*Looks up into the sky and thinks about Lorde*

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ragingsheep posted:

$15 co-payment required per post.
Yeah! Just how sick were those posts anyway?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

So the biggest expense, the age pension, is alarmingly growing from $39.5b currently to :siren: $72.3b :siren: by 2023-24. That's almost double!!!!

...except that it's also a 6.24% rate of inflation. In real terms, that's probably only 3.5% or so over the next decade given that inflation is about 2.5% and that's low historically. Meanwhile, those baby boomers retiring means that retirees are a growing proportion of the population, forecast to go from 14% of the population in 2012 to 20% by 2040 - a growth rate of 1.3% y/y.

So really, the growth of the cost of the age pension is a couple of percent in real terms, factoring for the increase in retirees and inflation. How is that in dire need of slashing?

E: I've also probably hosed the numbers up somehow. Please correct my logic or maths

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 1, 2014

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Nam Taf posted:

So really, the growth of the cost of the age pension is a couple of percent in real terms, factoring for the increase in retirees and inflation. How is that in dire need of slashing?

E: I've also probably hosed the numbers up somehow. Please correct my logic or maths
Because budget emergency.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Because this thread deserves to die the way it lived, here's Dennis Shanahan

quote:

Commission of Audit proposals require political guts to implement

DENNIS SHANAHAN, COMMENT
The Australian
May 01, 2014 1:50PM

THE recommendations and findings of the Commission of Audit are based on sweeping horizons looking back at 20 years of rising government costs, and forward at least 10 years for economic remedies.

The problem for the Abbott Government and any government in the modern democratic world, an economic horizon of ten years clashes violently with the real life political horizon of a little over 18 months at best.

Much of what the commission has proposed requires drastic and unpopular decisions that will careful management over a long period of time by a government that will have to risk becoming deeply unpopular over measures that may not bear fruit for 20 years.

Long-term remedies that require drastic measures as recommended by the commission, including raising the pension qualification age, including the family home in the pension means test, ending the principle of universal Medicare, cutting health and education, slashing public service departments and jobs spending, are all ripe for exploitation in a short-term political cycle.

The commission correctly assesses the long-term problems of an ageing population, including soaring health costs, aged care demands and increased calls on aged and disability pension benefits and proposes some far-reaching solutions.

But it also identifies the inherent dangers of short-term populist or politically-driven decisions which either drive unacceptable government spending or embark on hugely expensive schemes — such as the National Disability Insurance Scheme and the Gonski education funding changes — without proper consideration or sound policy.

Talking about the need to rein in spending as a result of unacceptable spending in the last ten years and trying to limit or change pre-election promises both sides agreed on — Gonski and the NDIS — may be an economic proposal worth merit but it is going to require enormous political strength and risk to go even part-way to implementing.

Strength.
Honour.
Family.
Tony Abbott is Winston Churchill damnit why won't you subscribe to the narrative.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
gently caress Bill Shorten and gently caress the Labor Right for being a pack of useless simpering fuckwits. Go join the loving Liberals already.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Even though the COA have said themselves that these proposals are designed to be implemented slowly and incrementally, when Hockey hands down his budget and it doesn't match the COA proposals word for word every second media report will be "HOCKEY SPARES US PAIN BY IGNORING COA PROPOSALS" or some such, ignoring the fact that he is doing EXACTLY what the COA proposes.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Bompacho posted:

May Auspol: World is Fukt *ROAR OF JETS OVERHEAD*

There was a thread icon that was basically fighter jets so here you go, a thread!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Baron Von Face posted:

I was informed last week I'll be retrenched on June 30.:suicide: This budget and the general 'gently caress poor people' sentiment is really messing with my zen/hope-for-the-future thing.

Keep posting peeps, knowing I'm not the only person who thinks we've jumped in a hand basket to hell is pretty comforting :shobon:

If possible get as much evidence as possible so you can get a qualification from TAFE cheaply. Demonstrated experience can knock down a Cert IV business administration to $2-300. It looks good saying I worked at X and gained a piece of paper. Start job hunting now, brush up our resume, they're are people who can do it professionally for you, council also does resume workshops. If you are a member of a union they can support you through this and make sure you're getting everything you are qualified for: eg free training, new suit, etc.

At the very least use this time to prepare, pay any outstanding bills, and start saving some cash. A budget helps if you're not already using one. Throw some cash into your super so you get up to $500 from the government for free.

You're not alone, you have a little notice and hopefully you can make this as smooth as possible

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well.

Well

This is just the day that keeps on giving, isn't it.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Auspol May - Quoth the Audit, "gently caress the poor"

Auspol May the Fukt be with you

Auspol May - cutting costs, not costing cuts

My rage is such that I have been reduced to puns.

Foundry Dancer
Apr 21, 2005
From a few pages back:

Tim Nicholls, Treasurer of QLD posted:

However, state finances are not unlike the household budget.

Well I guess you are the expert, Tim Nicholls Treasurer of Queensland. So go on. Illuminate me. :allears:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What the gently caress is a thread bookmark?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lid posted:

Dennis Shanahan

It still loving kills me that one of Tony Abbott's closest friends is a nationally published front-page columnist, and literally nobody thinks this is important or worth mentioning.

Like, why don't we put his loving mum on the front page too, that'll give us an unbiased perspective :shepface:

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Recquiescat in pace, Auspol.

You were a bitter awful place, now you're also a bunch of temporarily embaressed millionaires.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Now would be an appropriate time to post on Facebook asking if any people who voted Liberal are having buyers remorse. Bonus as it allows you to purge your friends when they real shitheels try to defend it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
If not buyers remorse, steadfast denial, and refusal to listen when you point out how many medications they take every morning and how much they grumble about the cost.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Just rejoined the Labor party.

:getin:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Join us, we shall discuss CHANGE FROM WITHIN *BLACKOPS*

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Welcome back.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

In fighting the good fight against the Liberals, you chose the one party that hasn't said anything all day.

All we need now is Cat Terrist to come back and prostrate himself, claiming that he was clearly loving high when he said that the NSW ALP was more corrupt than the LNP.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JBP, are you ok

where have you been

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

BCR posted:

Throw some cash into your super so you get up to $500 from the government for free.

You're advising someone about to lose their job to lock money away in super?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I have just started playing MGS3 for the first time and it owns loving bones

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Can we have another Metal Gear derail, I still haven't gotten over how brilliant that Outer Kevin joke was.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Can QLD Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie get more imbecilic? Apparently, yes.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-01/attorney-general-plans-changes-to-qld-double-jeopardy-laws/5423206?WT.ac=statenews

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Ettin posted:

There was a thread icon that was basically fighter jets so here you go, a thread!

You've had a new thread for 6 hours, dummies, stop posting here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Captain Pissweak posted:

Can we have another Metal Gear derail, I still haven't gotten over how brilliant that Outer Kevin joke was.

That was me and yes everything is too sad for realchat.

• Locked thread