Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Gough Suppressant posted:

'Asked why the office would not disclose the exact date, a spokeswoman for the Prime Minister said: "We just don't want to release it."'

Operational Security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Les Affaires posted:

Repealing tax cuts is not on the cards, it's actually better to let bracket creep do its work in the long run.

Removing one of the tax cuts for example would be considered an economic shock if it were a dramatic enough increase.
Is restricting the spending power of the bulk of consumers through bracket creep a good way to compensate for the structural defecitis caused by the Howard era tax policies?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

And here I was thinking this sort of poo poo was done for the Libs already - by the media.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Captain Pissweak posted:

You son of a bitch.
:whatup:

Also requesting Sir Not Appearing In This Thread be added to the OP:

Never forget.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The most AusPol paper:

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/24/5/622.short

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Well, something stinks in the state of Victoria, and is apparently so damaging to the current government that they've taken the extreme step of slapping the known poo poo-rag the Herald Sun with a gag order and are now asking the police to ensure that it's applied to all media outlets. (More Info)

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

TheHeadSage posted:

Well, something stinks in the state of Victoria, and is apparently so damaging to the current government that they've taken the extreme step of slapping the known poo poo-rag the Herald Sun with a gag order and are now asking the police to ensure that it's applied to all media outlets. (More Info)

Is it because its damaging to the Government or because they don't want a police informant suddenly disappearing, because it certainly looks like the latter to me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

TheHeadSage posted:

Context: "Lawyer X" was a defence lawyer for mobsters Carl Williams and Tony Mokbel (among others) who is alleged to have been a police informant from 1996 until 2010 - Williams suspected and accused him, telling Mokbel not to trust him, but Mokbel continued to use him. This places a serious question on one of the onuses on lawyers in that their client has to have full belief in that their disclosures are privileged hence calls by the law association etc. for a royal commission into this.

Bent Wookiee posted:

Is it because its damaging to the Government or because they don't want a police informant suddenly disappearing, because it certainly looks like the latter to me.

It's the latter but it's a murky area given the above.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Also does anyone here work for the ATO I could use some help.

Yup (well, for a service provider that the ATO outsources to) - what do you need to know?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
gently caress it, I have no idea which is the real AusPol thread, so I'm sticking this here.

Four international students killed in Brisbane since November

Queensland police say they're completely unrelated. Don't worry people, it's not a serial killer or anything, it's just the toxic climate of xenophobia that's to blame.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Gorilla Salad posted:

it's just the toxic climate of xenophobia that's to blame.
I dunno about that, this recent one and that Korean girl were both apparently walking through parklands at like 3am in the morning. Now in a utopia, sure it should be safe to walk wherever you want but walking through those forest-like Brisbane parks at 3am in the morning isn't exactly the brightest choice.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Seams posted:

i hate australia its a lovely land

Seams posted:

WIZARD MASTER SEAMS

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am unironically in favor of a complete overhaul of our tax system.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

LordPants posted:

I am unironically in favor of a complete overhaul of our tax system.

Implement the entire Henry Review, dust hands, go home.

Lose government for removing the reacharound Howard gave in the early '00s, but gently caress it. Worth it.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

gently caress it, I have no idea which is the real AusPol thread, so I'm sticking this here.

This one has twice as many posts, ergo a mandate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bent Wookiee posted:

This is eerily reminiscent of the Carl Williams situation, if the lawyer's name was printed tomorrow they'd be sleeping with the fishes before the day is out. On the other hand from what we know so far the issue is pretty serious and needs to be explored, people have been calling for a royal commission into the police in Victoria for years.

Elissimpark posted:

Yup (well, for a service provider that the ATO outsources to) - what do you need to know?

Just trying to write an application and was hoping someone would be able to give me feedback on what I have written.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr Chips posted:

This one has twice as many posts, ergo a mandate.

I do really like the other one, but Ludlam as Optimus Prime won my vote.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Mattjpwns posted:

Vote 1 cut and paste Manus Island OP into this one, they're both great for their own reasons.

You should use the banner I made any time (economic) refugee news comes up, I think it conveys the proper sense of welcoming and transparency surrounding the Manus Island multi-day-care center.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Xylo can we have that banner as a new thread icon.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Done.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Classic posts never die.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Lawyer X is actually Julia Gillard who has turned police informant to finally spill the beans about her evil corrupt union slush fund!! The truth is finally coming out. Royal commission now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, I know I don't usually post more than twice in the Auspol thread but I want to say congratulations to all there out there who don't identify as either male or female for your High Court win today.

edit: And of course Admin law Best law 420 appeals erryday.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lawyer X is actually George Brandis and the forces of political correctness want him dead.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

Is restricting the spending power of the bulk of consumers through bracket creep a good way to compensate for the structural defecitis caused by the Howard era tax policies?

No, not entirely. It's just that either pushing up the tax rate of lower brackets, or pushing down the threshold of existing brackets will do more to strain the lower strata of society than leaving them alone, because the lower you go in income brackets the more you're pushing against non-discretionary income, like say food budgets, or rent.

What I'm thinking will happen is a new bracket will be added at the top which is at a higher rate more along the lines of where the old ones used to be. The top rate is at 45%, bringing it back up to 49% would generate new revenue from the upper strata's disposable income.

Les Affaires fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 2, 2014

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It can't be Brandis because he would demand to be called Queens Council X.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
To explain why this situation is causing a particular murky conundrum:

quote:

'Lawyer X' marks a sticky spot in criminal justice system

Date
April 2, 2014 - 2:57PM

John Silvester
John Silvester
Crime reporter, The Age

pb[The suspect in the police interview room decides he is in desperate need of a lawyer but the trouble is he doesn't know who to call - that is until the kindly detective provides him with a number where he will get "good advice."

The suspect rings and explains his dilemma and the world-weary voice at the other end says, "Just tell the detectives the truth and it will all work out for the best."

Later the overworked legal aid solicitor at court can't believe that any lawyer would have told a client to confess rather than offer the traditional "no comment" response.

And he is right. The phone number the suspect was given was another extension in the police building and the advice he received was from a sergeant well-versed in matters of trickery.[/b]

In the criminal justice system everyone is supposed to have a defined role. Police are there to lawfully gather evidence, prosecutors to prosecute, judges to judge and defence lawyers to defend.

But the roles are not always what they seem.

Many years ago police learnt that a hitman had accepted a contract to kill, but they did not know the target, time or location. So a detective "loaded" him with a planted gun, which resulted in a jail term.

It was a corrupt act that may have saved a life.

Defence lawyers are supposed to provide their clients with the best advice and act in their interest within the law. They ask questions but rarely the most important: "Did you do it?". For if the answer is yes, the lawyer cannot knowingly construct a defence on lies.

So such "privileged" conversations are often a little like a dance with the devil, with defences based on the possible rather than the likely or the obvious.

The good lawyers know how to remain professional and impersonal. They deal with their clients in court, in a police station, in prison and in an office. But there a few who get sucked into the underworld and start treating clients as friends - and in more than one case - lovers.

A young lawyer was told by a senior partner the best way to stay out of trouble was to remain totally professional in matters involving trust accounts and attractive clients. "Don't knock off either of 'em," was the advice.

Once they become part of the gang, lawyers lose their professional protection and can be asked or pressured to provide more than just legal advice.

Which brings us to "Lawyer X" - a legal figure who ended up a registered informer for the Victoria Police.

The Herald Sun has published two page one reports on the lawyer and were stopped from publishing a third after police took out a Supreme Court injunction to ban any material that may identity that person.

The trouble with this sort of thing is that when the identity of someone such as Lawyer X is hidden, the inevitable guessing game begins - and two legal identities who are not the subject of the story now fear they could be wrongly suspected of being informers.

Certainly police say the safety of Lawyer X is now a major concern, while the media argue that exploring the story is of public interest. In the end the Supreme Court will make a decision on the argument, possibly as early as Thursday.

So what do we know, or more importantly, what can we say?

A Melbourne lawyer feels trapped, having made the mistake of treating clients as friends. The lawyer believes those friends are exerting pressure to join in criminal conspiracies.

Detectives persuade the lawyer to become a secret source of intelligence.

The lawyer continues to represent clients while talking to police, although as yet there is no suggestion the lawyer sabotaged defences or handed over privileged information.

Regardless, the lawyer is in an ethical minefield as the lines between friends, enemies, clients and police blur.

Sources say the information was general and more about criminal associations than "smoking gun" evidence.

The trouble began when high-ranking officers changed the ground rules and pressured the lawyer to move from an anonymous source to something more, which proved to be a disaster.

Now let's step back a moment. Some think defence lawyers and police are sworn enemies because they oppose each other in court, when in fact many are actually friends.

Police will give lawyers' business cards to suspects while lawyers will steer clients towards police with a reputation for fairness.

And some lawyers talk out of school. A client in a privileged meeting may mention that another crook had confessed to an unrelated crime in a previous jailhouse conversation.

More than once such information has been passed over as a general tip during after-court beers.

In one high-profile case an anonymous tip led police to recover a firearm used in the crime. Some detectives believe the call was made by someone within a well-known city legal firm.

So were police wrong to cultivate the lawyer? Certainly not.

If a priest turned up and said a serial paedophile admitted in the confessional he was about to abduct a child, should the police ignore the information? Of course not.

One policeman said using informers in criminal investigations is equivalent to using manure in the garden.

You can get good results, just make sure you wash your hands when it's all done.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/lawyer-x-marks-a-sticky-spot-in-criminal-justice-system-20140402-35y18.html#ixzz2xhildHfN

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Les Affaires posted:

What I'm thinking will happen is a new bracket will be added at the top which is at a higher rate more along the lines of where the old ones used to be. The top rate is at 45%, bringing it back up to 49% would generate new revenue from the upper strata's disposable income.
I'd love to see the Murdoch press respond to a 49% marginal tax + capping negative gearing, and getting rid of CGT tax breaks on property. Just means testing the healthcare rebate was 'class warfare'.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 2, 2014

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

I'd love to see the Murdoch press respond to a 49% marginal tax + capping negative gearing, getting rid of CGT on property. Just means testing the healthcare rebate was 'class warfare'.

You'd find they'll either ignore it or it'll be a small two paragraphs somewhere in page twelve.

They want to play with the winning team, not push an ideology.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Just trying to write an application and was hoping someone would be able to give me feedback on what I have written.

Ah. I'm probably not the one to ask then - like I said, I'm with an outsource company (gee, guess who!) and I can't say my job application was a sparkling example of the resume art.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Any lawyer acting as a police informant relating to their clients deserves to be strung up, it's a grotesque breach of professional ethics.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Zenite posted:

Still sceptical. To raise that much money, over 200,000 people would need to go bankrupt, even on the assumption of zero cost of admin and collection etc.

This is about four times as many people who declared bankruptcy.

So either it's a pretty dumb thought out April fools, or a REALLY dumb actual policy.

We're currently looking at about 80,000 bankruptcies over 4 years during Labor (the figures have gone down substantially in the last year), and given that Libs are in now power and pretty much loving over any one that is poor, an increase to 200,000 over 4 years doesn't seem that implausible.

I doubt it's an April Fools thing because it was posted at 11.20pm on the 1st, and then updated 8 hours later. Usch.

Ler fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 2, 2014

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Anidav posted:

I dunno about that, this recent one and that Korean girl were both apparently walking through parklands at like 3am in the morning. Now in a utopia, sure it should be safe to walk wherever you want but walking through those forest-like Brisbane parks at 3am in the morning isn't exactly the brightest choice.

She was abducted on Albert St and dragged up into the park though. Also how many murders have taken place in the Brisbane CBD that weren't international students? Alcohol related violence aside, the CBD is probably the safest part of Brisbane in general. I live literally 5 minutes walk from both these crime sites and it was particularly reality shattering when the Korean girl died in Wickham Park just because of how safe the area feels, even at 3 am. I'm hesitant to jump to the conclusion that people might intentionally be targeting international students for these murders because RACISM, but to try to write them off as people just in the wrong place at the wrong time also seems really inaccurate.

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 2, 2014

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Charging people money to be bankrupt sounds like the most ridiculous idea ever.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Yeah its loving creepy to think about, a mate of mine lives near the bridge that poor French girl's body was found under.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Lid posted:

To explain why this situation is causing a particular murky conundrum:

Many years ago police learnt that a hitman had accepted a contract to kill, but they did not know the target, time or location. So a detective "loaded" him with a planted gun, which resulted in a jail term.

Wait, what? What's murky about it? The Policeman who perverted the course of justice that "may" have stopped a crime?

quote:

So were police wrong to cultivate the lawyer? Certainly not.

Wait, what? It sounds completely wrong that the police cultivated a defence lawyer to inform on his clients.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 2, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What does it mean when your government's policies become indistinguishable from satire?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Jumpingmanjim if you want to write a successful job application to the ATO just watch blade runner a dozen times and write down all the answers to the VK test that identify the respondent as a replicant

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thatbastardken posted:

Any lawyer acting as a police informant relating to their clients deserves to be strung up, it's a grotesque breach of professional ethics.

When you get admitted to practice I'll give you a call I have some money I want embezzled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Also does anyone here work for the ATO I could use some help.
Someone at the Sydney meetup did (Freudian Slip?).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 2, 2014

• Locked thread