Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Normally, this would be the Australian Politics thread. However, that thread is full. Sorry guys.

Instead, how about a lovely vacation to Manus Island while we determine whether you're a genuine poster?

Manus Island is a lovely place north of Papua New Guinea, the largest island of the Admiralty Islands. It contains lovely stretches of beach, beautiful tropical rainforests, and tuberculosis.

Fun for all the family!

Australia sends its economic refugees here to kick back, relax and have fun while we wait a few years to see if they'll go back home.

Economic refugees broke these toilets during the latest wild party, and are expected to fix them themselves any day now.

The Manus Island multiple-summer-camp facility was built in 2001 as part of the Pacific Solution, implemented by then Australian Immigration Minister Philip Ruddock. It was dismantled in 2008 by the Rudd Labor Government, and described by then Immigration Minister and known communist Chris Evans as "a cynical, costly and ultimately unsuccessful exercise". The Labor Government came to their senses and resurrected it in 2012, and in 2013, declared that "asylum seekers who come here by boat without a visa will never be settled in Australia".

Unaccompanied children on the island are technically owned by Immigration Minister Scott Morrison.

Recently Manus Island got into a bit of trouble when a wild party started by the economic refugees got out of control and some of the locals gatecrashed it. A man named Reza Barati was murdered, probably by migrants. Don't worry, though: local security staff are handling it, and there's no need to send any policemen or judicial inquiries into human rights or anything.

Hoffman knives are used to entertain children as part of an ancient, traditional game where economic refugees try to hang themselves and you cut them down.

Welcome to Manus Island and enjoy your stay! At least until we move you to Cambodia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Whatever you do, don't mention you are a lawyer or else you'll be expelled from the thread.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Siding with this thread because of more :effort:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I'm an economic refugee. Please just siphon the money straight from the pensioners' wallets into my vault.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I'll post in this thread as soon as this Australian destroyer finishes hauling my sinking refugee ship back into international waters. I've got a half-full water barrel that I'm pretty sure is buoyant, so I might be able to make it if the sharks aren't hungry.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 2, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shouldn't that cartoon booklet by the Australian government be in the OP?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Not looking at Milky's thread because this one isn't a Milky post.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
This thread should only be for non-whites.

Anglos get to post in the other thread.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Do we get to come in and laugh at this thread's posters though???

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
The only way this will work is if this actually is a thread about Manus and refugees. Despite this one being better than Milky's, his was first.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

XyloJW posted:

Despite this one being better than Milky's, his was first.

This was not a serious contender for April anyway but I'll try to get May :unsmigghh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ettin posted:

This was not a serious contender for April

Yeah we can see that

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Still waiting on muyb's thread.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I could talk about the refugees I meet at the community centre :)

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Captain Pissweak posted:

Still waiting on muyb's thread.

Gonna post an april fools OP on May 1st #yolo #rekt

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm a reverse refugee.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Wow! Sounds great, where do I sign up?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
STOP
THE
BOATS

If I illegally emigrate to Australia will I still get sent here if I'm white?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

McDowell posted:

STOP
THE
BOATS

Hahahahahahaha no

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

McDowell posted:

STOP
THE
BOATS

When you do the language test they will give you one in English not Swahili, you'll be fine.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

If you are white, you will likely be welcomed to Australia, given water, coffee and a ride to a surprisingly luxurious hotel

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Jesus Christ.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy

Some things don't change :allears:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

HookShot posted:

I'm a reverse refugee.

White flightin' from reverse racism

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Legally speaking in Australia's system are refugees just property now?

Like 1 - 100 people die there's not going to be a death in custody paperwork chain filled out?
Does duty of care apply any more to the navy, serco, the camps in png?
No one has to worry about deprivation of liberty.

If a lifeboat sinks is that manslaughter, negiligence, murder legally.
Or a guard open fires, I'm guessing there's no consequences as a subcontractor.

All of the above offshore. I'm guessing the law applies defacto and dejure on Australian soil.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

BCR posted:

Like 1 - 100 people die there's not going to be a death in custody paperwork chain filled out?

All of the above offshore. I'm guessing the law applies defacto and dejure on Australian soil.

Well no, legally they are still people, and in fact the courts seem as unimpressed by the govts antics as most of the left are. Its just its not entirely clear whos got juristiction of what out there.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
You lost one eh? Well alright, fill out an S3.a and we'll recquisition you one off the next shipment. Be warned though, might be waiting a while. Supplies dried up a bit lately due to the risk of piracy.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

BCR posted:

You could conceivably sue Scott Morrison for negligence on behalf of children in detention under the Federal Torts Claims Act, but apart from that I don't know. It's civil, though, not criminal.

In civil law you breach a tort of negligence by having a duty of care, a standard of duty of care, harm coming to someone as a result of a breach of your duty of care, and a reasonable expectation of harm as a consequence of your action or inaction.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 2, 2014

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Fruity Gordo posted:

You could conceivably sue Scott Morrison on behalf of children in detention under the Federal Torts Claims Act, but apart from that I don't know.

AusPol project.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Nope, wait, that's an American law I didn't read properly. I thought we had a law against government immunity, hang on.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

quote:

The law in Australia is that the Commonwealth Government owes a non-delegable duty to detainees in immigration detention and the Commonwealth can be held liable "for the negligence of others who are engaged to perform the task of care for a third party - no matter whether the person engaged to provide the care is a servant or an independent contractor," as the High Court stated in a landmark 2003 decision called NSW v Lepore.
Boom.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-25/morrison-and-barns-manus-negligence-may-have-financial-costs/5341926

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Don't the government use subcontractors in detention centres because of this? The extra level of abstraction may protect them from liability.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 2, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
According to NSW v Lepore the government or a minister can't delegate duty of care to a subcontractor. In Morrison's case he's the legal guardian of children in detention as the minister, his duty of care can't be delegated.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Reminder that I'm not a lawyer or in any way a legal mind, I just know lots about negligence because I have to for work so I can snitch on my coworkers for being abusive scumbags.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

Don't the government use subcontractors in detention centres because of this? The extra level of abstraction may protect them from liability.

I thought they moved it offshore to put their actions beyond the reach of the courts.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

KennyTheFish posted:

I thought they moved it offshore to put their actions beyond the reach of the courts.
inal - We have a winner.

Also the acts of a sub-contractor can't have a liability attached to the primary contractor beyond the stipulations of the sub-contract. This is under tort law. If there is an overarching law (as may be the case here) then tort law provisions would only apply if there was precedence. In the case of the delegation of duty of care by the minister, the acts being committed outside of the reach of the statute may protect them (The minister). A whole bunch of this stuff will need to be tested in the courts and if you want to help then the refugee action coalition are the people to talk to and send money too.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

This thread should have been the thread

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Presented without commentary

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Captain Pissweak posted:

AusPol project.

It was actually an option being studied very closely by lawyers back during the Howard era regarding Phillip "oval office" Ruddock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Today at the community centre I met Obaidullah and Shiemi, Farsi Afghans from Kabul. They lived through the Soviets, Mujahideen, and Taliban, with Shiemi and their children getting to Australia in 1999, and Obaidullah staying in Kabul until 2009.

They didn't arrive as refugees, exactly, Shiemi and children were paid for by some generous Australian individual. It's rather striking how many different ways there are (or were) to get from there to here, even in the case of Taliban Afghanistan.

• Locked thread