Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
loving with planes trip report: I failed to make anything useful of the actual plane with the stuff I've unlocked, but I've created a very satisfying and successful zero/zero ejection system for the cockpit :jeb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That could potentially be useful if the runway explodes.

If you can increase the power sufficiently it could also be used in lieu of the spaceplane itself.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

I think the creator mentioned this was a bug in an older version, so maybe check to see if you have the latest.

I have .58b which is the latest so I guess the bug still persists.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Delivering another large rover base to Eve, but this one's far too wide for even my biggest heat shield. What do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Delivering another large rover base to Eve, but this one's far too wide for even my biggest heat shield. What do?

Put some struts on the bottom and stick more heat shields on them.

If necessary, launch that section up first, and sideways, and attach it afterwards.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Anyone send up a Mars One-like base yet?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Wow, this dude's got some crazy cool ships.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2gkbkd/5620_tac_lifesupportcrew_interstellar_colony_ship/

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Very cool. How did he get the vessel diagram?

e: Nevermind, found it .

Falken fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 16, 2014

marumaru
May 20, 2013

First time playing around with the Karbonite turbojets, and drat, they really are strong.

2200m/s at 20,000m :pwn:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Inacio posted:

First time playing around with the Karbonite turbojets, and drat, they really are strong.

Are you using FAR? :getin:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

EightBit posted:

Are you using FAR? :getin:

Does NEAR count? :froggonk:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Inacio posted:

Does NEAR count? :froggonk:

Your fancy ship won't fly apart with that, and you don't get funny CoL movements in the transsonic range :colbert:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

EightBit posted:

Your fancy ship won't fly apart with that

Uh... yes it will. An AoA deviation of 3º made this thing tear itself apart, even with the more forgiving NEAR.

I didn't play with FAR after he added the transsonic stuff, is it fun? (or maybe even !FUN!)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends how much you like getting punched in the dick by the simulation until you break aerodynamics over your knee and build something that works, I guess.

NEAR is enough for me for now, as I enjoy the adjusted resting point whereby things generally work, but you can make them work extremely well with practice.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

God, I loving love making planes.

This is at 10,000m:

Mad props to Time Control for letting me take these rad screenshots (and also let me control this loving insane thing)

re: FAR: I'm not sure if I really want it. AFAIK the only difference between that and NEAR is that planes break even more often and it simulates the transsonic region?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Yeah, planes going over the speed of sound will either become uncontrollable or super-stable, judging from what I've built and crashed. It sucks to find out that now that your spaceplane is going mach 5 and ready to pitch up and switch to rockets, that you can't pitch up because the CoL is a mile behind your tail.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I play with FAR with aerodynamic failures turned off. Once you get used to it, stock aerodynamics are just boring. Sure, the transsonic flight regime can be a little iffy sometimes, but I usually just don't put in any large control inputs between Mach 0.9 and 1.1 and it's fine after that.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I thought with FAR you can go into the debug menu and adjust the strength of wings and such to get as close to what you want in terms of realism, while still simulating the trans-sonic regions of upper atmospheric flight and such.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I know these probably seems silly, but I've picked up this game again after a long time and have been going through the "History via KSP" tutorials (and learning about the space program in the process) and oh man I finally managed to dock ships in orbit and do a crew transfer and it was just so incredibly awesome. I finally *get* how everything actually works, symbolically, and it's super nice.

Also, the contracts to rescue space Kerbals are great. I wish I could just replace all the stupid equipment test contracts with more Kerbal rescues.

All my dreams last night were about orbital mechanics!

Is there any point in career mode to doing things like space stations and satellites and stuff? I actually still really hate the garbage science system they use, but I like some of the contracts so... I'm currently split between sandbox and career but sandbox just feels a lot more "fun" most of the time.

Are they planning to add, like, geosync satellite contracts or long term research of some sort?

It would be great to throw up a research station that just slowly accumulated research at a steady rate for you over time.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I know these probably seems silly, but I've picked up this game again after a long time and have been going through the "History via KSP" tutorials (and learning about the space program in the process) and oh man I finally managed to dock ships in orbit and do a crew transfer and it was just so incredibly awesome. I finally *get* how everything actually works, symbolically, and it's super nice.

Also, the contracts to rescue space Kerbals are great. I wish I could just replace all the stupid equipment test contracts with more Kerbal rescues.

All my dreams last night were about orbital mechanics!

Is there any point in career mode to doing things like space stations and satellites and stuff? I actually still really hate the garbage science system they use, but I like some of the contracts so... I'm currently split between sandbox and career but sandbox just feels a lot more "fun" most of the time.

Are they planning to add, like, geosync satellite contracts or long term research of some sort?

It would be great to throw up a research station that just slowly accumulated research at a steady rate for you over time.

You should try the Fine Print mod, it generates contracts for satellites, and is goon-made.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

You should get two mods now: Station Science and Fine Print.

Possibly throw Cacteye in too.

You obviously should get PartCatalog in the meantime.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Is this actually a series of tutorials or contracts or something? I just got inspired to blitz through the When We Left Earth series on Netflix by KSP, and thought it would be cool to do a Kercury / Kemini / Kerpollo series of missions, but it'd be doubly cool if they were baked into a mod for the "story-mode" contracts with perhaps a customized science tree that would allow for a "historical" tech progression.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

DopeGhoti posted:

Is this actually a series of tutorials or contracts or something? I just got inspired to blitz through the When We Left Earth series on Netflix by KSP, and thought it would be cool to do a Kercury / Kemini / Kerpollo series of missions, but it'd be doubly cool if they were baked into a mod for the "story-mode" contracts with perhaps a customized science tree that would allow for a "historical" tech progression.

It's just one of the wiki tutorial sections. It basically teaches you how to play the game by running you through the history of the space program, telling you how to build ships that are the rough equivalent of the historical craft and then how to complete the missions. I found it very useful for getting back into the game after being away for a while and never being very good at it. Significantly less painful to use than the in-game tutorials, which I find absolutely dreadful since they take so long to load and constantly bug out on me (and don't let you build any of the ships yourself). It also recommends grabbing a historical parts mod which added a lot to it imo.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorials#Real_life_missions

EightBit posted:

You should try the Fine Print mod, it generates contracts for satellites, and is goon-made.

Inacio posted:

You should get two mods now: Station Science and Fine Print.

Possibly throw Cacteye in too.

You obviously should get PartCatalog in the meantime.

I'm very glad I posted here. Any other mods people would recommend for fun times? I'm sure there are hundreds of good ones. (I do use FAR because goddamn the stock air mechanics are bad, that much I remembered)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 16, 2014

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

If you want stations and colonies to be cool you should get the USI collection (MKS, karbonite, etc).

marumaru
May 20, 2013

To finish my plane spam, here's the stats for my plane (cruse altitude and max speed are at 25,000m)

Protip, boys: don't do a 90º turn when you're at 6000m (jello atmosphere) and going at 1400m/s :jeb:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm very glad I posted here. Any other mods people would recommend for fun times? I'm sure there are hundreds of good ones. (I do use FAR because goddamn the stock air mechanics are bad, that much I remembered)

Here's a link to Roverdude's stuff. It's mainly for making moon bases and adds a LOT of parts, but it's very well made.

http://bobpalmer.github.io/UmbraSpaceIndustries/

Standard gameplay mods I recommend are EditorExtensions, EnhancedNavball, ActiveTextureManagement, PartCatalog, RCSBuildAid, ScienceAlert, SelectRoot, ShipManifest and TweakScale. They don't add any parts, just fix the interface etc to make the game better.

SpaceplanePlus is the best mod if you want to make anything with wings (so good that it will be incorporated in the base game next patch). As mentioned, StationScience and Fineprint are great too.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Some of the "Greatest Hits" in my current mod collection are the aforementioned MechJeb and Fine Print, which are must-haves. Also:

• Procedural Fairings - link - automagically generate fairings for payloads you bring to space. Mostly cosmetic unless you use FAR/NEAR.
  • Stage Recovery - link - Slap parachutes on your lower stages to get partial refunds if they land safely. If you jettison stored science, you get that recovered too.
  • Final Frontier - link - Give your Kerbals a mission log, and individual ribbons reflecting missions they have been on.
  • Remote Tech 2 - link - A nice challenge- unmanned missions must maintain communication with the KSC either directly or indirectly. Gives a purpose to stations and sattelites.
  • StillBetterThanSpyware - link - defang any mods that bake in any of the drama (e. g. ModStatistics)

e: also anything from RoverDude (:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What's the name of the mod many of you are using to get pretty clouds and stuff? I can't figure it out. Also, any other beautification mods?

Lastly a weird problem, my PartsCatalog mod does not seem to do anything at all, there's no button or anything in the construction bay. I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

What's the name of the mod many of you are using to get pretty clouds and stuff? I can't figure it out. Also, any other beautification mods?

For those I use Environmental Visual Enhancements and Hot Rockets.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

BombermanX posted:

Anyone send up a Mars One-like base yet?

The most accurate replica of Mars One is the one that never gets built.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Venusian Weasel posted:

The most accurate replica of Mars One is the one that never gets built.

:golfclap:

Procedural fairings is a great way to make lots of dick-rockets.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay, installed a bunch of the recommended mods. Thanks guys! How does this stuff work with career mode, though? Are the parts placed appropriately in the tech tree, or do I just get them upfront, or what?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay, installed a bunch of the recommended mods. Thanks guys! How does this stuff work with career mode, though? Are the parts placed appropriately in the tech tree, or do I just get them upfront, or what?

Any of the mods suggested here that add parts will integrate them into the tech tree.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

One of my favorite mods is Chatterer, which offers communication beeps and Kerbal-esque dialog to missions. It's a small thing but I love it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Is there some bug or something with MechJeb and landing on potentially highly inclined surfaces? I'm just trying to land in Kerbin's mountains (I must checkbox all science), and it does a high orbit burn properly, then when it "fine tunes", it uses a shitload of Delta and shoots it's landing way way off course. Then it tries to correct it, but runs out (it has 800 Delta when starting). I've reloaded a few times, and tried a few landing zones, but it goes nuts every time.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Slickdrac posted:

Is there some bug or something with MechJeb and landing on potentially highly inclined surfaces? I'm just trying to land in Kerbin's mountains (I must checkbox all science), and it does a high orbit burn properly, then when it "fine tunes", it uses a shitload of Delta and shoots it's landing way way off course. Then it tries to correct it, but runs out (it has 800 Delta when starting). I've reloaded a few times, and tried a few landing zones, but it goes nuts every time.

Are you using NEAR or FAR?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I am using neither, I just have a simple rocket with landing legs. I've used it just fine to land in a few other biomes.

Edit: I have mechjeb and alarm installed.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 17, 2014

tartarus motel
Sep 10, 2006

Inacio posted:

Karbonite seems like a really well made product but even just the propeller engines are like 4x stronger than a stock turbojet.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Slickdrac posted:

Is there some bug or something with MechJeb and landing on potentially highly inclined surfaces? I'm just trying to land in Kerbin's mountains (I must checkbox all science), and it does a high orbit burn properly, then when it "fine tunes", it uses a shitload of Delta and shoots it's landing way way off course.
Is it possible that its high orbit burn would cause it to intersect with the mountains before reaching the landing point? It may be trying to correct so as not to hit the mountains, then trying to correct again so as to hit the target. You might try choosing a descent location that you can reach before crossing the mountains in your chosen orbit, or doing a deorbit burn manually (using MechJeb's predicted landing point info) and activating the autopilot when you're a bit closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Is it possible that its high orbit burn would cause it to intersect with the mountains before reaching the landing point? It may be trying to correct so as not to hit the mountains, then trying to correct again so as to hit the target. You might try choosing a descent location that you can reach before crossing the mountains in your chosen orbit, or doing a deorbit burn manually (using MechJeb's predicted landing point info) and activating the autopilot when you're a bit closer.

I pretty much did this, found the biggest area of mountains near my orbit, and used the high orbit burn and then manually tried to slow myself down for landing (no parachute). Scored a perfect 10 Kerbal point landing with science mods intact.

Took about 4 explosive bounces, but it worked :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJBvl_Lhkjw
This is what it was doing.

Edit: Hatch obstructed, cannot exit. :argh:
E2: RCS to the rescue! Lifted the capsule up juuuust enough to get out.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 17, 2014

• Locked thread