Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Gounads posted:

Screwing around on gilly...

Next we need a kerbal mating & repopulation mod.

Considering the sort of poo poo that's all over the bad game mods thread, I'm pleasantly surprised that sort of thing doesn't exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Icedude posted:

Considering the sort of poo poo that's all over the bad game mods thread, I'm pleasantly surprised that sort of thing doesn't exist yet.

The only reason is that we don't have female Kerbals yet.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

oxbrain posted:

You can add a delay to the commands at the bottom of the flight computer window. Set it to 1h or something, send activate or toggle with an action group, set it back to 0, send deactivate.

Thanks, I tried that but didn't realize you need to ad a time unit. I never had an action group set for toggling panels/antennas so I think I'm hosed. Action Groups Extended doesn't seem to work with RT as it executes immediately.

Maybe I have enough time to abort the aero break.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

lamentable dustman posted:

Thanks, I tried that but didn't realize you need to ad a time unit. I never had an action group set for toggling panels/antennas so I think I'm hosed. Action Groups Extended doesn't seem to work with RT as it executes immediately.

Maybe I have enough time to abort the aero break.

Normal right-click actions will also be properly delayed, IIRC -- you don't need to have them action grouped.

Also, remember to press enter after typing in the delay, so that it actually commits.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

ToxicFrog posted:

Normal right-click actions will also be properly delayed, IIRC -- you don't need to have them action grouped.

Also, remember to press enter after typing in the delay, so that it actually commits.

Yea, I got that to work but the sat dish only has the option to deactivate (no toggle option), if I send the command twice it just stays closed.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Try Action Group Manager. It's been abandoned for a while and a bit wonky to install, but it's working for me.

Install the original version from their thread here.
Then install the repack to make it work with .25 which is on the last page of that thread here. Overwrite any duplicates.
Then update the toolbar, it'll give you an in game prompt to update.

That should give you a button to open AGM. The basic action groups it makes seem to delay fine.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

oxbrain posted:

Try Action Group Manager. It's been abandoned for a while and a bit wonky to install, but it's working for me.

Install the original version from their thread here.
Then install the repack to make it work with .25 which is on the last page of that thread here. Overwrite any duplicates.
Then update the toolbar, it'll give you an in game prompt to update.

That should give you a button to open AGM. The basic action groups it makes seem to delay fine.

Will give it a try, mission is a wash anyways. I was able to abort the aero brake because my ion drives had like 10k DV and was able to get the Ike orbit I wanted only to realize I forgot to include any science instruments. :downs:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So I have 200 hours in this game, but I've never bothered to actually land on anything outside the Mun and Minmus. I'm planning to actually try out a mission to Duna/Ike and I'm wondering what the general Delta-v requirement is from the surface of Duna to a rendezvous with an orbiting mothership? The idea of taking the time to construct a ship and fly it to Duna only to find that my initial random guess of the conditions and requirements mean I've wasted a few hours is the main reason I've only ever done planetary flybys.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So I have 200 hours in this game, but I've never bothered to actually land on anything outside the Mun and Minmus. I'm planning to actually try out a mission to Duna/Ike and I'm wondering what the general Delta-v requirement is from the surface of Duna to a rendezvous with an orbiting mothership? The idea of taking the time to construct a ship and fly it to Duna only to find that my initial random guess of the conditions and requirements mean I've wasted a few hours is the main reason I've only ever done planetary flybys.

I wouldn't bring less than 1900, but I'm bad. It can be done with less.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 23, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

From the surface of Duna to a 50km orbit is only like 1700 dV, it's the easiest body outside of Kerbin SOI to make a return trip from thanks to parachutes. You don't even need a separate mothership for a mission like this, though it is pretty cool to do.

I'd say your plan of attack should be Duna, then Gilly, then Ike, then Dres if you are looking for landing on places outside of the Kerbin system. None of these require a lot of dV for a round-trip, Ike and Dres have similar enough gravity to Mun that it's not a challenge to land on them if you've landed on the Mun, and Gilly is a whole ton of fun with its nearly nonexistent gravity; for a super fun time, try doing an EVA landing and return trip, since gravity is so low there that you can EVA to the surface from low orbit and then return to your ship after a quick 30 second landing to collect surface samples.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Do FAR and/or deadly re-entry change the way that parachutes work? Unless I go <260 m/s (approximate) the parachutes will instantly rip themselves apart when they deploy.

I have a lot of mods active so it really could be any of them that do this, FAR or deadly re-entry seem the most likely suspects...

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Hope I didn't post this already.
Props to RoverDude for the swirly force field effect thing. Looks great with fire added.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The idea of taking the time to construct a ship and fly it to Duna only to find that my initial random guess of the conditions and requirements mean I've wasted a few hours is the main reason I've only ever done planetary flybys.

You can use the Hyperedit mod to warp your ship directly from the launch pad into orbit above any given planet. I like to do a test run of my landers with that mod to make sure that the staging/dV/etc all work before resetting the mission to the launch pad and flying out there manually. It beats spending 30 minutes flying somewhere only to find out that you have your lander's fuel lines hooked up backwards.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

PDP-1 posted:

You can use the Hyperedit mod to warp your ship directly from the launch pad into orbit above any given planet. I like to do a test run of my landers with that mod to make sure that the staging/dV/etc all work before resetting the mission to the launch pad and flying out there manually. It beats spending 30 minutes flying somewhere only to find out that you have your lander's fuel lines hooked up backwards.

On the other hand, effectively flying the primary part of the mission twice is pretty boring and redundant. It's much simpler to know the dV requirements and use a calculator like mechjeb or engineer to help construct it. Then if you're paranoid you can do a quick staging test on kerbin.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is there any mod that provides extendable girders?

Real life probes and satellites have lots of parts that start folded or collapsed for launch, then extend once in space, while KSP has very few such.

Infernal Robotics has hydraulic pistons, but they require a lot of space inside the ship and don't really match up with the stock parts.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

General_Failure posted:

Hope I didn't post this already.
Props to RoverDude for the swirly force field effect thing. Looks great with fire added.

Is... Is that a Miranda?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PSA for something I just found out: in addition to the -c mod.ckan option to ckan install, there's also a -r file:///path/to/repo.zip option to ckan update that makes hosting your own repo trivial. Great if you have a whole bunch of interdependent mods you want to install that aren't listed in the central repo.

Sadly, all this modding has brought me to the point where my laptop can no longer run KSP playably, even at the lowest settings. The desktop can, but it's skirting very close to the memory limits. I may have to forgo KSP entirely until I have a bootable Linux install on the desktop.

Which needs to wait for me to get a non-poo poo wifi card for it. Computers :suicide:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Cubey posted:

It's cute that you think that would stop anyone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Is... Is that a Miranda?

It sure as hell looks like one :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone come up with a good way, on a 1.25m ship, to keep mystery goo containers covered in a fairing under atmosphere without using procedural fairings?

(edit) Nevermind, forgot about girders. Still makes the lander module look a little tall and gangly, though.

I suck at craft design :(

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Groetgaffel posted:

Is... Is that a Miranda?

Better raise shields.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone come up with a good way, on a 1.25m ship, to keep mystery goo containers covered in a fairing under atmosphere without using procedural fairings?

(edit) Nevermind, forgot about girders. Still makes the lander module look a little tall and gangly, though.

I suck at craft design :(

Do you have a small cargobay you can use?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

Do you have a small cargobay you can use?

I don't think so. I've got KW rocketry for parts, 6S service compartments (they don't fit in those seemingly), and that's about it as far as parts.

Anyone have pictures of Mun/Minmus landers they've gotten out and used while dealing with FAR/NEAR? I could use inspiration :v:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

B

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think so. I've got KW rocketry for parts, 6S service compartments (they don't fit in those seemingly), and that's about it as far as parts.

Anyone have pictures of Mun/Minmus landers they've gotten out and used while dealing with FAR/NEAR? I could use inspiration :v:

Both of those have cargo bays afaik. Use this mod and look for them.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35018-0-25-PartCatalog-3-0-RC8-%282014-10-08%29

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

I couldn't think of an image so I Googled "Overload"
My favorite mod for aerodynamic science parts is Universal Storage. It's super swank.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

They fit just fine in 6S tubes, although getting them centered is a bit fiddly.

Also, why do you want to avoid using procfairings?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

They fit just fine in 6S tubes, although getting them centered is a bit fiddly.

Also, why do you want to avoid using procfairings?

No particular reason, just for the sake of it and aesthetics. :v:

New question, why the gently caress is a materials bay costing me 60,000+ kerbucks when it says 880 in the parts list? I literally can't afford to launch two on one craft :stare: nevermind, symmetry glitch with universal storage.

This is what it looks like when I try to get the goo containers in 6S thingies:

I know this is spergin as hell of me, but the clipping

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 23, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

I thought Kerbals were supposed to be like non-violent 40k Orks, who don't have gender and just grow from spores with an innate ability to build crazy contraptions.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dramicus posted:

I thought Kerbals were supposed to be like non-violent 40k Orks, who don't have gender and just grow from spores with an innate ability to build crazy contraptions.

This always becomes a multipage derail, but last time I heard, girlbals are confirmed as a future feature, just not one that's a priority at the moment.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

So screenshots are apparently broken in .25 for Linux. This is disappointing since I tried taking some screenshots of a baller-rear end rescue mission I did when I accidentally planned an Eve aerocapture wrong and ended up in a retrograde orbit that I couldn't get to Gilly from :downs:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cubey posted:

So screenshots are apparently broken in .25 for Linux. This is disappointing since I tried taking some screenshots of a baller-rear end rescue mission I did when I accidentally planned an Eve aerocapture wrong and ended up in a retrograde orbit that I couldn't get to Gilly from :downs:

KSP screenshots or Steam screenshots? The Steam ones work fine for me still.

Ciaphas posted:

Hit Q or whateverthefuck so that the little legs stick inwards instead of outwards.

Alternately, do what I do and mount them crossways rather than vertically, with the legs embedded in whatever the 6S tube is attached to.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ToxicFrog posted:

KSP screenshots or Steam screenshots? The Steam ones work fine for me still.

I bought the game long before it was on Steam, so just regular ol' KSP. All the screenshots come out looking like this:

In searching, I'm not the only one who has this issue.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Ciaphas posted:

No particular reason, just for the sake of it and aesthetics. :v:

New question, why the gently caress is a materials bay costing me 60,000+ kerbucks when it says 880 in the parts list? I literally can't afford to launch two on one craft :stare: nevermind, symmetry glitch with universal storage.

Put one or two of those girder thingies from the top down so you have a central mounting point.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Try something like this:

Related, does it bother anyone else that the 6S compartments are 1m and 2m instead of 1.25 and 2.5?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is there any way I can stop KSP from automatically updating when 0.90 comes out? I'm way too into my Construction Time/Life Support hard mode game and I don't want to ditch it until all my favourite mods are compatible again :ohdear:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Walton Simons posted:

Is there any way I can stop KSP from automatically updating when 0.90 comes out? I'm way too into my Construction Time/Life Support hard mode game and I don't want to ditch it until all my favourite mods are compatible again :ohdear:

Do you have a steam copy? Don't launch steam and it won't update.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Walton Simons posted:

Assuming you are on the steam version, look here.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Assuming you are on the steam version, look here.
That hasn't worked ever. Steam still updates when you try to launch the game. Now since few months ago they even made the text for that option to say what it actually does.
Correct solution is to copy KSP folder from steamapps to somewhere else. Since KSP doesn't have any form of DRM it'll work anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I looked at Google, obviously, and found no joy. Just wondering if anyone had a workaround.
Spectacularly helpful LMGTFY, though. Really.

SinineSiil posted:

That hasn't worked ever. Steam still updates when you try to launch the game. Now since few months ago they even made the text for that option to say what it actually does.
Correct solution is to copy KSP folder from steamapps to somewhere else. Since KSP doesn't have any form of DRM it'll work anywhere.
Brilliant, I had no idea you could do that. Thanks!

• Locked thread