Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Man every time you post this stuff it makes me want to stop playing until the new update hits :(

But seriously

this owns, now we need more runways around Kerbin so we can play Kerbal Flight Simulator 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, adding -force-d3d11 in my KSP launch options does some weird things. I mean, it saves a ton of memory, but then halfway into my launch this happened:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Running 32-bit KSP. Parts pack mods, plus RemoteTech, Active Texture Management.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Oh god yes. Tell me this can fit 2.5m parts inside the cargo bays

The cockpit really wants rcs thrusters like the b9 cockpits.

Falken fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 25, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

Europa receives far less sunlight than Mars, for one thing.

Total sunlight doesn't matter as much once you get out of the habitable zone, because at that point you have plenty of light to see with but you have to start doing other crazy things to improve insolation/thermal energy on your body of choice.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Now if only the wings had fuel tanks, spaceplanes, imo would be complete.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Nice selection of tail pieces in those MK3 parts.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Falken posted:

Oh god yes. Tell me this can fit 2.5m parts inside the cargo bays

Yes you can.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Are we ever going to see larger-scale (Mk2/Mk3) air-breathing engines and such?

e: I guess by "and such" I mostly mean intakes. It's annoying to have to cobble together lots of adapters and nacelles and stuff to get several Mk1 engines and intakes mounted on a larger form-factor plane.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 26, 2014

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jesus gently caress, are those by Porkjet? They're delicious.

Hire Porkjet, dude.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm starting to think we might need some bigger wings :v

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Luneshot posted:

I'm starting to think we might need some bigger wings :v

We agree entirely. Working on them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Oh nice. But why can't we get a better nosecone? Looks like all the pictures have the old one and it looks ba...

http://imgur.com/a/Nm7yy#5

:stare:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Maxmaps posted:

One day, if/when you guys do more space station parts, pork jet's inflatable habitats might be fun to have stock!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Well, adding -force-d3d11 in my KSP launch options does some weird things. I mean, it saves a ton of memory, but then halfway into my launch this happened:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Running 32-bit KSP. Parts pack mods, plus RemoteTech, Active Texture Management.

I get that too - seems like the various air heating/rushing visual effects cause it.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

Maybe also larger landing wheels? The current ones probably aren't up to the job of landing some of the monstrosities people will make with MkIII parts.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Turks posted:

Maybe also larger landing wheels? The current ones probably aren't up to the job of landing some of the monstrosities people will make with MkIII parts.

If Porkjet gets it done in time the ones ingame currently will be the Small ones, with the addition of Medium and Large ones.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Maxmaps posted:

If Porkjet gets it done in time the ones ingame currently will be the Small ones, with the addition of Medium and Large ones.

:vince:
So stoked

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I can't believe that I'm only now discovering I can change staging while in flight. I knew I could do it on the launch pad, never occurred to me to try elsewhere.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The auto-aligning landing wheels should be stock. Or, if not stock, then mentioned more often. My game has changed drastically since I downloaded them.

fauxbama
Jan 7, 2007

HAIL THE DARK EMPEROR! HAIL! HAIL!

Maxmaps posted:

Oh god, I would accept a delayed release for this. The small gear is so broken and would be totally useless for something this scale!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

fauxbama posted:

Oh god, I would accept a delayed release for this. The small gear is so broken and would be totally useless for something this scale!

I like to think of them as corgi legs. :3:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Tippis posted:

Space elevator. No, I have no idea how you'd work around the simulation range — that's for you to figure out. :D

I want a space onramp so I can drive my space hummer along the space highway to space Mars.

Any reasons why you couldn't build a huge ramp (with part mods?) and just drive off into space in Kerbal Space Program?

double nine posted:

at this point isn't it a safer bet to try terraforming Europa than Mars? I am aware that we know more of mars than of Europa, but even then it looks like a better investment - oxigen in atmosphere, nonscarce water, ... erm. That's all I got sorry.

I've read somewhere on the internet, so it's probably false, that we have the technology to start terraforming Mars now, but it's insanely expensive and it would take multiple generations to ever see a difference to begin with. So it's pointless since we'd just later on invent a better, cheaper, faster ways shortly after starting it.

Also, you may destroy alien artifacts evidence of life with your Mars grass.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bel Monte posted:

I've read somewhere on the internet, so it's probably false, that we have the technology to start terraforming Mars now, but it's insanely expensive and it would take multiple generations to ever see a difference to begin with. So it's pointless since we'd just later on invent a better, cheaper, faster ways shortly after starting it.

Also, you may destroy alien artifacts evidence of life with your Mars grass.

The basics of terraforming as we currently think of them are definitely achievable with current technology, but actually getting anything done on a planetary scale would take hundreds of years or more. But yeah, we can definitely start laying the foundations now.

Don't get me started about how far we could be on Mars by now, it's depressing to think about where we could be versus where we are.

Then again, we did just land a loving washing machine on a loving comet, so that's pretty impressive in and of itself.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
After 407 hours, I decided it was time to visit Gilly. I've never been there, and RoverDude's parts mods have reinvigorated me a bit.

First, we have to use the Supahfly REBOOSTED to ascend off of Kerbin.

(17 engines means you go fast)

Setting up our transfer to the Interplanetary Ring.

Why, hello there.

Let's kiss.

I WANT YOU INSIDE ME

Since I'm playing with RemoteTech (with signal delay turned off), this is a good time to make a Gilly repeater.

Four LV-Nc's make this a 16 minute transfer burn.

Did I say 15 minute? I mean 56 minute. And the way it's designed means I can't use physics acceleration :suicide:

<BORING INTERPLANETARY CORRECTIONS GO HERE>

Arrival at Gilly!

A very careful circularization burn. Down to 14m/s!

The Supahfly undocks from the Interplanetary ring

My most-travelled kerbal, Jenny, leaves the ring to board the landing craft.

All systems check out good.

Descent is painfully slow.

Jenny seems happy.

And she's (he's?) off to explore the surface!

Just don't turn off Sticky Feet. It doesn't work out well.

Now, the Supahfly REBOOSTED has 1.7k dV left, though I'm sure I could re-dock with the Interplanetary Ring and use up its fuel if I had to. I wonder where I should go next?

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Main Paineframe posted:

I get that too - seems like the various air heating/rushing visual effects cause it.

I found using "-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded" fixed that, or it may be due to Deadly Reentry, I never did figure it out for sure.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't have deadly reentry installed, so maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Turks posted:

You mean you don't use XL rover wheels yet? :D

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fauxbama posted:

Yes please, it would be fantastic if we had wheels strong enough that the plane didn't careen wildly off the side of the runway during takeoff due to being grossly overloaded

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I decided to clear out all the unused stations and ships in orbit around Kerbin, which meant 5 guys needed to find their way back home. Trying to keep both capsules together the entire way down was a lot more fun than it should have been, using RCS they were never more than 40m apart from first burn to landing.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Okan170 posted:

One day, if/when you guys do more space station parts, pork jet's inflatable habitats might be fun to have stock!

Seconded! The inflatable habs are really nice, and most of them have really nice IVAs.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I released some information in my thread about how Aerial and Rover contracts will be changing in 0.90. Here's a hint:

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Peas and Rice posted:

Got it, thanks. Edited my post w/ proper terminology.

OK, cool.

At what point should I start consider building spaceplanes? And when should I start doing some of the mining and colonization add-ons? I'm still playing Vanilla with just a couple of effects mods and KER right now.

E:

In the Mars trilogy, they apply enough dV to de-orbit Phobos so it hits the atmosphere, which then does the rest. The elevator is tethered to Clarke, which flies off into space from the force when the cable is severed.

Of course, they got Clarke into Aerostationary orbit to begin with, so...

Tuning the elevator to avoid Phobos was mentioned in The Fountains of Paradise by A.C Clarke. I guess this is where the name for the base is from. I have not read these, I know what I'm reading this Christmas.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I have the entire trilogy in hardcover (got them all when they as came out as a teen and Nirgal shaped my politics). Gonna re-read them starting tonight.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Arsonide posted:

I released some information in my thread about how Aerial and Rover contracts will be changing in 0.90. Here's a hint:

I like this a lot.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Is that plane sniffing the tanks butt?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Maxmaps posted:

I hope you don't forget an ultra-light gear for tiny UAVs.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I find that funny little rounded shuttle thing oddly inspiring. Please tell me those are upcoming stock parts.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dr Suntory posted:

Is that plane sniffing the tanks butt?

the center of lift has to be so far behind the center of mass that craft can't be functional. Right?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Maxmaps posted:

Are we going to get a Mk3 science lab fuselage part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

double nine posted:

the center of lift has to be so far behind the center of mass that craft can't be functional. Right?

Depends what you want its function to be I suppose!

• Locked thread