Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Maxmaps posted:

Yeah. The scaling mod and the procedural parts mods are the sort of thing we could probably never include in the game without severely breaking the balance of things or reducing total player choices but it kinda shows completely different directions the game could have taken.

Honestly, just merge KW Rocketry with the base game and you're good, the parts are all very well balanced, have excellent graphics and add a lot of other options to players :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So, does this mean that I'm going to need to start putting parachutes on all the boosters and things and hope they land properly and aren't destroyed by the kraken?

edit:

two_beer_bishes posted:

What's a good progression for the game? I've made several visits to the Mun and Minmus and gotten boatloads of science but I'm looking at other planets now. I'm assuming that the closest planets to kerbin and moving towards the sun require the lowest delta v, right?

Yeah, duna and dres have the lowest delta v requirements as I recall, but both have tiny gravity wells so you need to be super careful with your burns or you'll miss them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm not sure of the exact numbers but it's along the lines of they designed it to 100Kn thrust as being 100% throttle. During testing (and in practice on actual missions) they found that actually the engines produce 104Kn at 100% throttle. In order to keep all the launch procedures the same they re-scaled the throttle settings so that at the original design thrust (100 Kn) was 100% throttle.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79588-0-23-5-Modular-Kolonization-System-%280-18-2%29-2014-07-13

Okay yeah i'm just going to wait till 0.24 for this, the release seems imminant.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I actually turned up to a videogame office once to ask for my money back for a game and then the CEO showed me a room full of knives and made vague threats with regards to them should I ask for money again.

also, it's out!! loving finally

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Can someone tell me how I get cash in 0.24?? I keep doing contracts but I'm always losing money, has anyone else had this issue? I recorded a video of it here. It might be that i'm a dumb idiot and doing it completely wrong?

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 16, 2014

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Inacio posted:

Yo Maxmaps, Kyle (from the awesome KW Rocketry mod) asked me if I could ask you about how he could get access to .24's part prices. He has a delicious new version done, but he wants the prices so the parts are balanced right and the mod is released as soon as .24 is out of the gate.

Any chance you can help?

More evidence that KW rocketry should be in the stock game:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Novapunch suffers from being grossly overpowered and also looking really hideous. When it was basically the only "more engines and more fuel tanks without copious amounts of shite" mod it was pretty good but KW rocketry fills that role well now anyway. Reminder you could basically launch a duna craft into orbit in a single stage with some of the novapunch stuff.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just a gentle reminder that last time people tried to implement horrible poo poo like that in mods, (namely in this case in minecraft) people stripped it out, told the mod makers to gently caress off and basically got away with it because of popular support.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Oh and the KSP website crashed, this was unexpected.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

You could just make a plugin that strips out any modstats stuff from any mod that runs right?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

To be honest, if mod makers need to see that people are playing their mod in order to feel good about themselves, it means they are making said mod for all the wrong reasons.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

fauxbama posted:

What kind of moon logic is this?

If musicians need to see that people are coming to their shows in order to feel good about themselves, it means they're making said music for the all the wrong reasons. :shepface:

Hmm yes, nice straw-man argument right there (I'm not even going to go into it if you seriously, seriously think that professional career muscians and hobbiest modmaking for videogames are the same thing).

If mod makers feel they are doing some kind of service to the community by making a mod, and hence deserve recognition for doing so, rather than because they enjoy making said mod and earn recognition for the work they have put in, it means they are doing it for the wrong reasons, dipshit.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Majir continues to act like a tool, He's pretending like he's the next space jesus for letting other people modify KAS so that it works for 0.24, rather than doing the work himself or letting other people take over the project, that may I note isn't even his in the first place, since he just turned up when the original author stopped working on it and claimed it as his.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Tippis posted:

Sounds an awful lot like your average patent troll, but with the added bonus of also being a spyware author. :D

I'm very tempted to comment in the thread that the reason he's "too busy" to work on KAS is that he's busy publishing spyware but I don't know if the mods there would like that.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Iceshade posted:

I'm really not reading it as such, and I think the original license posted by the original author doesn't allow any editing or something. Since he's now maintaining it, he's given temporary permission to edit fings. Maybe I'm wrong, but drat this neckbeardy sperg hate towards another sperglorde is incredible.

I'm really not seeing this "pretending to be the next space jesus".

He could easily have said "Okay I don't have time to do this anymore, someone else take over", but instead he posts about how he's going to let people do the work for him while he continues to take credit, while at the same time stating that as soon as he releases an updated version all of these fixed versions are going to be illegal because of some kind of retroactive licensing or something.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Public service announcement:

4 x RCS blocks weigh more than a single reaction wheel, and for very small crafts actually provide less control definition than the reaction wheel does. Unless you're doing a tiny lander with RCS thrusters via stockalike or stock I see no reason to use RCS blocks on anything other than 2.5m stages at this point.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If you've got a tiny craft that weighs nothing a reaction wheel will let you spin at 50 rotations a second to thrust with your main engine so I fail to see why it's needed?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pff, well if you want to design grossly ineffecient spacecrafts that's your choice I guess. I'll just be over here with my 2.5k delta V biome hopper that weighs 0.8 tons :getin:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

Kill all your relative velocity, rotate both ships to face docking ports at each other (using mechjeb you can make the other ship rotate to stay facing you).

Pulse thrust so you're moving like 0.5m/s at the target. Wait for docking.

Even with translation control this is how I usually dock, simply because it makes things a hundred times easier.

And yeah this. If you point both docking ports at eachother after zeroing all velocity I don't see how you can need translation controls.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Remember that most engines generate power so you only need one solar panel and some batteries short of some cheesy 15 ion engine jool explorer.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I just use mechjeb because it's very helpful to keep a heading. Everything else it does players can generally do a lot more effectively.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mechjeb tries to allign ships as fast as possible. On large wobbly ships that can be a problem because they wobble around so much that it can't tell if it's lined up or not.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ratzap posted:

I haven't noticed 1) yet because they made their engines generally worse than stock for some reason. Or the stock buffs were big enough to make them leapfrog KW ones. I fiddled around trying to optimize some of my designs today and the KW engines just don't cut it in this version. I ended up with good old skipper and mailsail, they weigh less and have better ISP.

I got around to preparing an asteroid interceptor too. When I started I thought to myself "I'm going to make this a two engine design for a change". It was a struggle to get two 2.5m engines to fit but with some adapters I came up with this

which is when I remembered WHY everything seems to have odd numbers of engines - where is the booster stack going to fit? :doh: I could fiddle another adapter stack but that'd be pretty drat wobbly. Then I had a lightbulb moment: there is a bi-coupler from Squad that goes from 1.25m to 2 x 1.25m, all I needed to do was rescale it and fix up the weight, cost etc. Rather easily done - config is here if you want to try it (toss it in GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\stackBiCoupler).

Tada, fits and looks dual engine cool :jeb:

Theres a couple that are worth using. The Vesta is pretty good for second or third stage since it's really efficient so you can just shove stuff onto a mun intercept over 5 minutes and save a bit of fuel. A lot f the engines that look good on paper are let down by some glaring flaw that completely destroys their usefulness. Example is the 2 nozzled 2m engine, has marginally better isp and marginally less thrust than the skipper so logically it's a better choice for second stages or munar burns and the like. But nope, it weighs almost 3 times as much for some reason. Someone just needs to go through and change them while keeping in mind the stock sizes and costs.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I keep meaning to install the new MKS.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Woah WOAH WOAAAAH Just found the other unreleased 0.24 trailer! turn your speakers down seriously.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wait what, It's seriously Scansat? What the christ

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I should learn to edit terrible videos so I can make my own MLG kerbal space program videos rather than just linking them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Robzilla posted:

Christ, 30 seconds of intros and ads :pysduck:

VV I know, I got loving trolled good.

Hey I already linked both Camtroids offerings in other bait and switch maneuvers related to 0.24 so I can't reuse them here!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I ignored the warning and now my PC won't boot, is that normal?

• Locked thread