Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

haveblue posted:

That looks amazing but I'm already cringing at the framerate implications. I don't suppose the update fixed the seemingly enormous GPU load of looking at the ocean?

Actually I've not noticed that much of a framerate smash from the clouds. They do get awfully bright when you're flying through them, but its still pretty awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Spaced God posted:

Kranz started wearing vests on Gemini 4. The vests were made by his wife and usually were white - his control team's color - and the mission patch. At first he was made fun of, but it became a big morale booster when Kranz but on the vest, especially during Apollo 13.
:spergin:

And then nobody ever made fun of his vest again. I admit, it makes me smile whenever I see him in an interview wearing it!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
It'd be nifty if any debris that escapes Kerbin's SOI gets un-tracked. If it came back around nearby, it might show up as "unknown", by tracking it you could see if it was debris or an asteroid, like if its worth your time going after.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

rhoga posted:

A run-in with a strange bug:

The cockpit wasn't being effected by physics after time warping. It just floated there. Restarting the game fixed it.

Do you have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed? There is a bug currently where exiting time warp will leave a vessel unable to be affected by physics at all. I've hit that bug myself, and removing KJR resolved the problem.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
I wonder if the asteroid generation system could be modified to produce the occasional comet wandering in from outside the solar system? It'd be an FX-heavy thing but it'd be an interesting and logical outgrowth.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
I think Maxmaps mentioned something earlier about work being done to integrate mods more cleanly, something like subscribing to a mod or something of the like. Would it then be possible for people to share mod "playlists" since often the combination of mods can be something that gets confusing after a while? Just some thoughts, I'd love to be able to just load up custom setups like that.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Space Shuttle SRBs were also gimbaled and actually provided most of the control authority while they were burning.

This is mostly why the SRB smoke trails from shuttle launches have a sort of "spiral twisting" structure instead of being a straight-up plume of exhaust!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

haveblue posted:

The main thing Kerbal Engineer will do that Mechjeb won't is give you TWRs for planets other than Kerbin.

The current version of Mechjeb has toggles to see your TWR on other planets!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Samsquamsch posted:

from the KSP Kerbin wiki:

I will have to commit that to memory. I did sort of recognize that trying to go fast enough to be burning up while leaving the planet was probably a waste of fuel, but that didn't carry over to over-acceleration in general.

This was literally the first thing I looked up on the wiki when I first started playing. There was no map at the time, but matching to the table had a certain, infuriating but rewarding, charm to it.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

illrepute posted:

Unfortunately, no. This is only really a problem because I'm in the middle of trying to maneuver a rather cumbersome asteroid into low orbit and these twenty-minute NERVA burns are killing me without the ability to alt/tab out. I'd also like to raise my concern with asteroid physics, since I've already had more than one asteroid lander freak out, phase through its asteroid, and then break apart immediately after exiting time acceleration.

I used to be able to alt-tab out of KSP and it'd run merrily in the background, but recently, on Windows, its been just holding when I tab out. I'm not sure if anything's changed, but I guess its a thing.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Falken posted:

Yeah, I suggested the flats being covered in a fog, and like an hour later he delivered. :)

I have to say, I do not like the moons appearing to have "Atmosphere" and have to turn off the layers manually. I kind of hope that this'll get rolled into Visual Enhancements as a shader instead of colored shells.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Looking at this makes me realize we need some huge truss pieces in stock. ISS-style backbones are awesome! (Double-keels are good too but they block the view from the windows.)

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm not Squad or anything, but it seems to me that the parts list is starting to accumulate some cruft from trying to avoid save-breaking. Some parts that come to mind:

• ASAS units: given that all command pods come equipped with SAS now, it would make more sense to just have one reaction wheel for each part size (or maybe make the command-module SAS dumber and then have reaction-wheel parts and a tiny, radially-mounted ASAS CPU part).
  • Decouplers and separators: Couldn't these just be the same part, but with a build-time tweakable to toggle between the behaviors? (Maybe with some graphical change too so that it's obvious by looking at the ship what will happen).
  • Parachutes: Likewise, the large radial parachutes could be merged and the other chutes could get a tweakable to determine if they're drogue chutes or not.
  • Structural parts: Some of these could be merged and have adjustable lengths via a tweakable.

The ASAS and parachutes are a good idea, the lack of a radial drogue chute means that there are just so few uses for the existing one. I know its something down the pipe and not a quick fix, but it'd be really wonderful to one day see the IVAs on the stock parts finished up. Maybe also bring over the rest of the KSPX pack too, I can't say how often the half-height 2m RCS tank is just a better choice and the normal-sized ion thruster and 2m NERVA are just sorely missed in stock as well.

I'm going to jump in on the editor improvements (vertical snap like Editor Tools would be nice) and Kerbal Alarm Clock. They're just features that are ways of polishing off the existing structure. The editor especially, as its likely to be one of the first places players spend a serious amount of time.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Mister Bates posted:

SCANSat does this.

Is there a place to download this outside of the forums? I've been searching and it seems I'm a victim of my own bad timing WRT the forums being down. Curse's search is... interesting.

I wonder if it'd be possible to have a setting for antennas which keep them extended after transmitting. As it is, they just fold away when they're finished transmitting, but most of the time, I try and keep them open. (Theres also a little bug there where clicking "extend" after transmitting does nothing once and then activates if you click it again).

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

OwlFancier posted:

Wouldn't add much to the gameplay but it'd be help give a little more character to individual kerbonauts.

Especially when choosing from the Astronaut complex. Bill/Jeb/Bob have their orange jumpsuits to distinguish them, and everyone else is the same. I rather like the idea, especially with the reputation system coming up, of valuing certain Kerbals and their "accomplishments". The Final Frontier mod did this pretty interestingly (though a bit complex) but it seems to be mostly abandoned these days. Maybe Melzor Kerman could be as memorable as one of your main Kerbals, or whoever else. Like, you start out with your basic 3 Kerbals, and then build on that, much like you build your own spaceships. Just building your own little favorite groups. This'd dovetail nicely with the other tweak of not having the crew always default to the main 3 guys.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

ethanol posted:

The thruster firing mist (I don't know what else to call it) in reality is much different than ever gets represented in space games. This is something I would like to see in ksp. It's one of those cool things you just don't see on earth

I kind of enjoy the "realistic" elements in the game (like the atmospheric effects) because it kind of brings a certain element of reality to what can be quite a tongue-in-cheek activity. Yes, yes the Kerbals all toddle around and build hilariously weird contraptions, but the other half of the game learning how those contraptions interact with a far more realistic (but not totally) universe. Stylized creations in a semi-realistic universe. I get this feeling a lot with the Astronomer's Pack as well. Off through the clouds with ye!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Mister Bates posted:

So, does anyone have any advice on what to do next now that I've put probes and people on the Mun and Minmus? Space station? Moonbase? Designing a spaceplane? I just unlocked scads of new parts and I don't quite know what to do with all of them.

I want to put an outpost on the Mun at some point and use it as a base for long-term exploration, but I'm not sure how I'd go about building it. I think I want to send the base core itself as an unmanned craft and then send a crew later in a separate vehicle; I'd also like to send along a manned rover and an orbiting satellite with SCANsat mapping sensors. Trial and error is part of the fun, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for designing the craft I'd use for a mission like that, it would be appreciated.

Aaaah, "NASA Syndrome". Thats usually the point where I start doing interplanetary probes of increasing complexity.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

OAquinas posted:

Well, we all wondered why parts violently explode when they impact. Now we know: EVERYTHING has fuel in it.

Its like Goldeneye 64's exploding furniture taken to the extreme! I wonder if the explosions are set to get a visual overhaul sometime.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Ratzap posted:

I intercepted the last of 4 rocks that came to Kerbin at the same time but this one is an E class. Not just a little bigger, it's a completely different order of engineering problem. I noted the ship mass pre docking and worked out the thing is 3711.13 tonnes. Up till this guy I've only had Cs or Ds up to 300t which proved pretty simple to move about. That 'tiddly' ship there had 16,000 dV prior to docking and is down to 340 after, the worst problem though is the wheels and RCS on it are just no way capable of turning it in a reasonable time frame.
This thing is going to need a new project after this ship captures it - I'm thinking huge powerplant with a lot of RCS grunt and a series of dockable fuel tankers.

Fly up a bunch of smallish probes with just a claw, some RCS and a huge reaction wheel. Dock them over the asteroid's surface (and attach them if you have KAS)and then you should have significantly more turning power. Their RCS will also help!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Elukka posted:

Here's something cool: A better view of the Dragon V2's interface.

Guys, guys… this is where HAL comes from. Someone installs a Siri-like app on a spacecraft.

edit:
I found this a bit earlier with the uncropped picture and gave it a bit of a once-over to try and bring up some details.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 31, 2014

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

OwlFancier posted:

Is any of that actually hooked up to anything or is it just a silly photoshop graphic designed to make the screens look useful?

Also having all your instrumentation on screens seems really silly, as if the backlight goes or the screen connection goes or it just gets damaged you lose a massive chunk of display. One would think it'd be better to make a proper electromechanical interface for some of the important stuff at least.

The center panel is all physical buttons and override displays for showing alarms in case something were to kill the displays, it also covers the essential vehicle functions. The actual maneuvering controls themselves are also physical. The displays are simply providing extra information and ways of using it, but they aren't essential to flying the vehicle.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Samsquamsch posted:

Success! I got close to my dead-in-the-vacuum kethane module for my station and extended the solar panels manually. Seeing the lights come back on was rewarding. Bill may have broken one of the 3 panels when he got in front of it as it was extending, but hey, 2 is still enough to run on! Rendezvousing with the rest of the station now.

I just started using MechJeb to its full extent and I have to say, it's pretty nice to let KSP run and mostly do its own thing on the side. I'll have to not totally abuse it and make sure not to get rusty on docking/landing, but I am definitely going to use it for all my launches; it's quite a bit more fuel efficient than I am, even when I'm trying to manually keep terminal velocity matched. Yay, robots!

It becomes very useful for automating things like that, things that might be fun to do yourself, but over the course of like 4 cargo launches, it lets you think about other things. And by that stage, you're usually making bigger plans anyway...

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Falken posted:

I've been looking at the stuff for Eyes turned skywards which is an alternate timeline where NASA does not scrap the Apollo program, and doesn't opt into a reusable spaceplane. Improved variations of the Saturn rocket and Apollo capsule/CSM, a different layout of space station freedom, a different MIR...

Very very cool.

Its pretty awesome. I combined FASA with some other mods (fustek, octostrut) and created an alt-space station serviced by an Apollo block 3 mashup. However, I have been told that there will probably be an ETS mod at some point soon.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

shortspecialbus posted:

When I first got this game, I was kind of excited to try to design an ICBM sort of thing. I changed my mind on that within about 12 seconds of when Jeb first got into orbit and did an EVA. He was just so HAPPY! The concept of kerbals even understanding the concept of warfare is outside the realm of possibility. They're too excited and terrified to handle it.

Kerbals look at ICBM technology as a stepping stone that could be significantly improved with the addition of a seat (with belts!). Either that or as a possible strap-on booster!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
I just thought of something, in the list of very small tweaks: the IVA view's sunlight never quite matches the actual sun that you can see out the windows. At times it can be 90˚ off or more, but it means you almost get the "sunlight pouring through the windows" effect, but its never in sync with the actual location of the sun, so it looks kind of iffy. I keep expecting to see it fixed in some way, but it never seems to have been noticed. Perhaps its something to do with the way the IVA lights work?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Ledenko posted:

For some reason, the IVA is rotated 180 degrees, when making the model you have to make it point backwards. The views work correctly but the light is calculated as if you're facing backwards. It's really weird.

Well, I guess if they're looking for small tweaks that might fit the bill... but it also sounds like it might break everything too. Bummer, I really like the bits of atmosphere in the game. I feel like the sun's light should be a little more intense once you get into space, maybe a fade up in brightness as you exit the atmosphere. We already have the stars fading up with the music, and the brightness helps give it the "Real(ish) Physics Environment" feel, even if the designs themselves are somewhat cartoony.

edit: another "nice touch" would be to have the view outside of the VAB actually reflect the time of day outside.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 4, 2014

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Klyith posted:

No, that switches between universal time (time since beginning of your save file) and MET mission elapsed time.

The preference for 6 hour kerbin days vs 24 hr earth days is in the settings on the general page, a toggle that switches between the two. Or in settings.cfg as KERBIN_TIME (set to fasle for earth time).

Heads up, if you go to Earth time, its totally normal to get to the moon by the end of Day 1. Or farther. Those Kerbals are so productive!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Met posted:

I think I tried quite a few options. Custom installing it with instructions, premade bundles, etc. I'll try this one later tonight.

Found the time. It works. :D

I love this cockpit so much.

Speaking of which, I saw Bac9 showed up briefly in the B9 thread. Apparently there might be an actual update? I won't hold my breath though...

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Maxmaps posted:

Bac9 is workig on a cool new version. Also OH MY GOD IT CLIMBS.

Is he back on the team? I really enjoy his work though, even if its in Sketchup! (as a 3D person, I cry inside). I really liked the KSC overhaul and such.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

deptstoremook posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how to mount larger payloads. I can put satellites up fairly easily using I-beams and fairing bases, but for something awkward or especially something I want to land, I'm not sure where to shove it and still have my ship fly straight.

Say I wanted to have a landing module and a rover, I could do the LM pretty easily (either pre-dock it on top of the ship or cram it in an inline fairing), but the LM would be symmetrical too and easy to put inline. For a rover, where I only want one, I'm not sure where it should go and I'm totally lost when it comes to landing it along with an LM. I'm using FAR and DRE if that makes a difference.

I usually put everything in a big stack on top of a beefy lander all its own and then have an action group to blow off one of the legs. (And separatrons to get it away in time. :jeb:) Or use a sky crane for larger things. For bringing a tiny one with a rover, I build a small rover with a Jr. Clamp-o-tron and stick it on top or on the side of the stack somewhere (in a fairing if you're using FAR). Depending on your setup, you could put the rover on the top of a stack and then just dock it to the right place once you're in orbit.

edit: basically taller = better, especially if you have to put it in a fairing.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 8, 2014

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

OwlFancier posted:

Bring two.

This was NASA's long-term design for landing bigger stuff; shove it on the LM descent stage and just land it first!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Well, I get why you decided against that! Holy buckets... I already find Interstellar's lack of documentation a big problem, something this complex would have to have a lot of hand-holding I think.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Always nice to see someone taking a crack at an old problem.

Apparently, the rotated IVA layer is an issue here as well. Still, I'm always down for more eye candy.

Dev post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com...l=1#post1210683

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

nimper posted:

It sends the mod list and crash information to the server automatically; the process is invisible to the user.

I and many others don't like the precedent this sets as it's all too easy for someone to modify Modstats (or make their own mod) to start sending personal information to a different server. The damage from one popular mod doing this would be done before anyone had a chance to audit the source code.

I thought it didn't actually send crash logs though? The info on the public side shows mostly what mods you're using and what platform etc. I mean, crash logs are important, but if you're not even doing that then what is this all helping with? Is it really just about mod compatibility? Ugh.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Luceo posted:

The devnotes only mentioned Windows 64-bit. Will the Mac version also be 64-bit?

Hmm… :( At this point I've nearly just given up on the mac version for now. Running it in boot camp is night and day, even more so now I guess.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Seqenenra posted:

What advantages will there be if KSP runs in 64 bit mode?

Mods forever?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

shortspecialbus posted:

Modding communities have always been like this. The flight sim community is largely very expensive payware for anything decent. As someone who's spent well over $10,000 on said payware, I wish it was free, but it isn't. Even sim mods that are free, such as mods for Silent Hunter III and V are ludicrous. I mean, look at this crap:

Skip a few posts

from http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181370

This really isn't anything new, it's just becoming more well known with more popular modable games around.

Well in any case, now would seem to be the best time to start the discussion of how appropriate it is for general gaming. I'm curious to see what sort of legal effects this sort of thing will have, now that its not as confined to something like the flight sim community.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
I wonder if theres a way to make your vessel's description (from the VAB or SPH) appear in the info popup when at the tracking station. It'd make identifying things a tad easier I think.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
That pre-update time… like a collective inhale of breath. I usually just assume that huge budget cuts finally befell the program and then they had to start again from scratch with the next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

OwlFancier posted:

There's a good XKCD comic about writing programs to automate simple tasks and how sometimes, it takes longer to write the program than it does to just do the simple task enough times to finish the project.

If you read fast and can type without looking at the pad I can see typing in the values being a reasonable way of doing it.

Especially if you have those abilities and lack the understanding of any scripting language!

• Locked thread