Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Decided to nuke my old save and make a new one with a limited amount of mods, only FAR, ProcFairings and RemoteTech. (plus some must-have quality of life mods like Editor Extensions, Engineer, RCS Balancer, Chatterer and Fusebox of course)

Jeb went to put the first satellite of the Kerbin comm network into orbit. Get into a nice geostationary position above KSC. Release the satellite and ... No Connection. Forgot to activate the antenna before decoupling. :arghfist::jeb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Vetitum posted:

Are you guys deleting all old mods before updating and playing with asteroids?
I did (and nuked my saves) just to start from a clean slate. None of the mods I reinstalled had updated versions, but they all worked anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just had a weird bug with the radial parachutes where they didn't become part of the staging stack and I couldn't manually deploy them either. Of course I didn't notice this until I was already on a re-entry trajectory towards Kerbin. RIP Jebediah. :(

RemoteTech chat: I recall someone talking earlier about an easy way of setting up a comm network around Kerbin that didn't rely on perfect geostationary orbits and was more forgiving of imperfect orbits, but I can't find the post now.. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

This is the post I made about Molniya-like orbits for RemoteTech or AntennaRange comms sats.
That's the one I was thinking of, thanks.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

If I install Mechjeb right now, will it work on a ship already in flight or is it an add-on part that has to be included? This is really frustrating.
Assuming you have modulemanager installed, create a file called mm_mechjeb.cfg or whatever in the mechjeb directory and add the following to it to add built in mechjeb functionality to all pods and drone cores.

code:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]] 
{
MODULE
{
        name = MechJebCore
} 
} 

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Abyssal Lurker posted:

I also want to report a real bug: What the hell is going on here?

Keep pressing space, it will work eventually
Looks like perfectly normal stage separation. :jeb:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My only gripe with the ion engines is that they're in the Utility category and not the Propulsion category. This is ruining my immersion. :colbert:

edit: Anyone else had the problem where your rocket is locked from staging right from the launchpad? Pressing Alt-L doesn't change it.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 6, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Had an asteroid on a good trajectory, caught it, put it into LKO and was preparing to aerobrake and soft land it at KSC.. And the game crashed. :arghfist::saddowns:

edit: Didn't lose the mission!

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 6, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AceClown posted:

Can I have a ship with both the normal pod and the probe pod and just make the kerbal in the pod get out prior to launch?
Yes. Don't forget that a probe core will use electricity even if your rocket is manned.

You can un-crew the capsule from the vab, or you can just eva the pilot before liftoff.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If nothing else you have plenty of RCS fuel...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

EVA, then right click the science tool and select "retrieve science" or something along those lines. Do this on pods to retrieve things like crew reports and surface samples. The data is automatically stored in the next pod you enter.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also Chatterer, which although not a graphical mod adds a ton of ambience.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Are the asteroids themselves indestructible?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Spaceflight Megathread moved to SAL: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MeramJert posted:

I wish all these mods showed your semi-major axis so I didn't have to calculate it myself.
MechJeb does.

MJ has a ton of info that isn't in any of the stock windows. Just create a custom window with all the info you want.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

The main thing Kerbal Engineer will do that Mechjeb won't is give you TWRs for planets other than Kerbin.
As of one of the later versions MJ does this too. There's a little toggle in the DeltaV panel that lets you select another celestial.

e: :argh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

And besides, anyone who's played for more than a few weeks maxed out the tech tree long ago and has been more or less back in sandbox mode since then.
For 23.5 I didn't bother with the tech tree, I just gave myself a billion science points and unlocked the entire tree from the start. I want to play sandbox but I also want to see the various funny science messages on other planets.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Acquire Currency! posted:

Can't you see these anyways?
Nope, you just get a generic "The science center is closed, this does nothing" or something along those lines.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

The next NASA collaboration should be to reproduce this things flight path.

CE/ISEE space explorer

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

What's a good setup for a refuelling station? I'm assuming a probe core, some RCS tanks and thrusters, a big orange fuel tank or two and some docking ports? Oh, and some solar arrays.
Pretty much. Don't forget a pair of tiny RCS tugs to maneuver tanks into position inless you're building a big rear end launcher to lift it all in one piece.

If you have KAS installed you can skip the docking ports and just use winches or pipes.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 18, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KW Rocketry for awesome rockets that don't alter your gameplay. B9 Aerospace if you like building planes, although I don't know if it works with 23.5 yet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In water there's also a level where anything that goes below that depth will get destroyed. So if you have a tall ship that you plan to land on the water you should fit a radial chute at the bottom so you land on the side, otherwise the weight of your craft might push lower parts down far enough that they get destroyed even if you splash down carefully.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It’s possible to get to the Mün with only the starting parts, but you really shouldn’t try. Just poke around Kerbin, get into orbit if you’re feeling ambitious, and don’t attempt to land on another body till you at least have decouplers.
With FAR you can easily do a Mun flyby with the starter parts.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well as long as you remember to turn SAS off once you're out of the atmosphere you have nothing drawing power.

edit: Don't forget to increase your parachute deployment altitude, since you can't decouple your engine and tanks you're quite heavy coming back to Kerbin, and you'll probably be making a direct descent from the mun so you're coming in FAST.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 20, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

If I’m interested in spaceplanes, what mods should I install?

FAR and Procedural Wings are obvious.
B9 Aerospace if it's been updated to work with 0.23.5, I didn't install it this time because I wanted to take the rocket route.

Strudel Man posted:

Why do my totally symmetrical designs start spinning. :(
Are you using fuel lines?

Also strut your side mounted boosters. The radial decouplers will flex under thrust and induce spinning.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

TescoBag posted:

Is there a mod with good caterpillar tracks yet?
http://kerbalspaceport.com/caterpillar-tracks/ edit: :argh: ^

It hasn't been updated for a while and has some bugs, but it seems to work with 23.5 at least.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Do you have to have the xenon containers attached to the engine? I wish there was a bigger xenon container other than the dinky one that seems to be meant for a probe :saddowns:
Xenon works like Monopropellant, it doesn't matter where the tanks are located, the engine will find it anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Edit your persistent save file with a text editor, search for MissingCrewsRespawn and change it to False.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Yes it was finished and posted but it was never updated so it's slipped way down the mod forum in terms of page count - good luck finding it.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58639 :sun:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PDP-1 posted:

Try flexing the landing gear in/out a few times and see if you can get the ship to roll over. :jeb:
He can't get in so he can't control it.. Unless you can retract/extend landing gear via the context menu on EVA?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The save file is just a text file, edit it with notepad and search for Science.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Depths posted:

Do people prefer KW rocketry or B9? I only have KW right now, don't think i can use both because my mem usage is at 3.2gb!
With active texture management I can run both without issue.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

True, if you're not building planes there's not much point in B9.

There's the low profile lander engine that's useful for rockets I guess.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yep, hit Alt-F12 to bring up the debug menu and there's an option to allow part clipping in the editor. Just bear in mind that clipping parts might lead to R.U.D. in flight.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The problem with TACLS isn't that there's 6 different resources, it's that each resource has its own container.

It would be nice if you could have a container with x amount of space, and you could freely distribute that space between different resources. Would be great for spaceplanes as well, if you could reduce the amount of oxidizer in a fuel tank and use the space you free up for more fuel instead.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Germstore posted:

There's a certain type of gamer who equates more complexity with more fun. Look at Minecraft Tekkit for how out of hand this can get.
Tekkit/Industrialcraft/Redpower is what made minecraft live slightly longer for me. Building a giant solid gold penis is only fun so many times.

But that doesn't make the game harder, it only makes more options available. Same with KSP. Just because I can build a complex orbital factory doesn't mean I have to, but I like that the option is there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Funny, tekkit was fun at first, but it eventually split the playerbase and was the final nail that killed minecraft for me.
I don't really care about the rest of the MC playerbase, I just wanted to build incredible machines.

Anyway I haven't touched it in at least a year. Actually I think giving up on MC coincided with buying KSP. :jeb:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Problem with the caterpillar tracks is that they don't actually seem to have more traction than wheels do, so you easily slide sideways on hills. They look cool though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like Keso, but Kredits is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Only the top and bottom nodes can be connected to other nodes in the VAB, so if you want to connect one radially you need to turn it 90 degrees.

• Locked thread