Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

OSX is on scratchpad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Really feels like this launch attempt, engines start up but the computer says NO YOU STAY ON EARTH TODAY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-nMg4I0sr8&hd=1

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

If you are swapping the 64bit exe in Steam you need to take the KSP_64_Data folder and rename it to KSP_Data for the exe to find the correct mono fileset.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Recover KerbKoins from stages dropped and deleted by the physics engine:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86677-0-24-StageRecovery-Recover-Funds-from-Dropped-Stages-v1-0-1-%287-18-14%29

Just stick parachutes on everything and you get your Funds back, no GUI popup just adds the money to your account.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Iceshade posted:

I thought I would actually need this, but I'm swimming in cash. I just went to the Mun with a 130k craft by sticking engines and fuel tanks on it that were totally overkill.

Oh you want me to test this decoupler in orbit? Thanks for the 80k funds. Now, off to the Mun for another 200k or whatever.

Yeah I installed it not looking at my KerbKoins... I have 1.7 million Funds in the bank after 4 hours played.

I have yet to go to Minmus or Duna.

I think balance is a little off, but its the first iteration so I am still happy with it so far.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Arsonide posted:

Question for reference: are you reverting/loading saves? I think the budget is much more effective in iron man mode.

The only quicksave/load I have done was when time warp glitched out and put my mun lander inside the Mun. (I was in a 12km x 24km orbit...)

Only reverting flights if I forget to assign the correct crew, like removing one guy for rescue missions.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

haveblue posted:

64 bit on Macs is not supported yet, they only just barely got it working on Windows as it is.

And yeah let's not even get into the idea that we need security mods to protect against malware mods, that way lies madness.

The biggest bug with 64bit KSP for windows is that it messes up a whole load of the physics calculations with parts. For example, decouplers have no force so fairings just stay put and fold in on your payload and in-line stage decouplers have no push at all.

Unless you play without fairings and don't mind using loads of separation motors skip 64bit for now.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

FAR for people who dont like FAR is out, its called NEAR:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86419-0-24-NEAR-A-Simpler-Aerodynamics-Model-v1-0-1-7-17-14

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

The Pod is really late in the tree, but the AR202 is quite early.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Elman posted:

How do the "landed at Kerbin" tests work? They don't seem to register when I use the parts and there's no test option in the right click menu.

Just stage one on the launch pad before lifting off.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Career mode sure is slanted in favour of solid rockets.

With NEAR I have been SSTO'ing small satellites with the SLS solid booster with a 55% throttle limit and four wings on the bottom. The thing flys its own gravity turn perfectly without SAS on and fine tuning of orbits is done by the satellite itself not an upper stage.

"Why dont NASA just do this... :jeb: Oh wait Ares I... :jebstare:"

Edit: Ares I-X was the only launch of the any of the Ares class launchers, here is a video. NASA were going to put people on top of this.
(Skip to 5mins in for the launch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5htFcB3_X8c&hd=1

Zaran fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 19, 2014

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

I sent Jeb, Bill and Bob to man the Minmus Science Lab that is home to my materials science hoppers.

No more orange suits for new gigs that way, and besides they are probably better off at Minmus, considering I am going to Eve to land and return next.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Hopefully the team meeting today will introduce a "You cannot force your addon to call home and any and all calls home must be opt-in only" with serious consequences if someone breaks that rule.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

You only need fins up to about 25-30km up, after that they give little to no control on rockets I find so stick them as low as possible on the first stage only, if you are doing some crazy SSTO rocket put the fins on decouplers and throw them away after you get high for added efficiency!

My "normal" (it varies per mission) flight profile for NEAR is straight up until you are moving 100-120m/s (perform your roll maneuver here to line up your pitch axis with the target heading/inclination) then pitch over 5 degrees and slowly continue to pitch over until you hit the horizon line.

If you put more time than I am normally willing to do into balancing thrust and aerodynamics you can make a rocket that after the first 5 degrees pitch will do a gravity turn itself, just turn off SAS and it works on it's own perfectly, this is probably one of the best things about NEAR/FAR is nailing a gravity turn but it takes a bit of effort.

Also ExtraContracts and StationScience are loving awesome, thanks for the addons guys!

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I noticed that too, they also added LFT sized mono propellant tanks to help with that.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Nice one getting the no donation button rule in there. Take that toolbar author!

Overall I like the rules, should fix the issues people are having with stuff like ModStats.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Ratzap posted:

This image was on imgur

The 90 degree turn after the initial launch with the special thrusters is just so drat good. I wonder if we can manage this in KSP with tweakables to get the burn time and thrust juuuust right.

Welp, this happened.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

KSP 0.24.1 is up for download, fixes a load of stuff and changelog:

quote:

First Contract (v0.24.1)

Bug Fixes and Tweaks:

Parts:
* Fixed a relatively serious issue with module loading which could result in missing modules if loading old craft.
* O-10 Maneuvering engine scaling was off. Engine rescaled to proper size (smaller).
* Fixed an issue with propellant-defined resource flow modes which prevented some configurations of Vernier engines from working correctly.
* Fixed an issue with some decoupler modules failing to apply ejection forces when activated.
* Fixed missing FX components on root parts after resuming a saved game or reverting.
* Fixed a potential issue with the internal maths in ModuleRCS, which could result in odd RCS response from center-aligned or stack-mounted RCS modules.

UI:
* Fixed an issue with the App Toolbar where mod apps wouldn't display/hide properly at the VAB.
* Fixed an issue with custom staging icons and switching vessels.
* Fixed an issue where the Messages Dialog in the VAB would drift out of place when discarding many messages.

Contracts:
* Fixed a bug in Rescue Kerbal contracts, where rescue by means of external seats or claws wouldn't complete the contract.

Tutorials:
* Fixed a save-related bug which made the Orbiting 101 tutorial impossible to complete.

Flight:
* Fixed vessels not leaving 'pre-launch' condition during take-off roll.
* Fixed a very annoying and potentially destructive bug where approaching another vessel could mess up your control state.

Game Balance:
* Tweaked costs for several spaceplane and aerodynamic parts:
- Advanced Canard: 900 -> 800
- Standard Canard: 1500 -> 720
- Delta Wing: 500 -> 680
- Swept Wing: 500 -> 620
- Wing Connector: 500 -> 560
- R8 Winglet: 500 -> 640
- Structural Wing: 500 -> 540
- Aerodynamic Nose Cone: 680 -> 240
- C7 NCS Nose Cone: 680 -> 320
- Rocket Nose Cone (large): 1000 -> 450
- Standard NC (small): 680 -> 180

Modding:
* Added IPartCostModifier interface, to allow part modules to tweak a part's cost.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Someone just HAD to take this to the :jeb: level:

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

What part packs do people use for satellite sized parts these days? I need to bring some more variety to my satellites as using the same old HexPods is getting old.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

PiCroft posted:

Can anyone give a list of recommended mods, perhaps their own list of mods they personally use? I looked at the OP and the usual suspects are there but I'd have missed the Near Future and Station Science mods had I not browsed the Curse site.

My current ModList:
StillBetterThanSpyware - Just cause'
DebRefund - Really this is not needed but a kickback for sticking parachutes on everything can be nice early career.
EditorExtensions - One you go 20x symmetry for no reason you never go back
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements - Pretty skys and planets
ExtraContracts - Goon mods are best mods
KerbalJoinReinforcement - Stops floppy rocket syndrome (*ModStats Warning*)
KWRocketry - More Rocket Parts, they look nicer than Squads and I like the engines.
MechJeb2 - I use it for the information screens as the launch computer doesn't play well with NEAR.
HotRockets - Pretty flames, if you have KWR installed you need to remove the KWR configs from this mod or stuff breaks.
NEAR - Like FAR but less spergy. (*ModStats Warning*)
SCANSat - Maps made by Sats! (*ModStats Warning*)
StationScience - A reason to make space stations, also GoonMods Best Mods.
TweakableEverything - Does as it says on the label.
TweakScale - So does this one.
FloorIt - Press Z to skip to 100% thrust!

I think that's everything I use currently.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

So Reddit is getting bored of BrahMos missiles, moving onto helicopters:

:jeb:

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

I tried to use PartCatalog ages ago, but I just found it more of a hassle to set up, it is likely better now but I get on just fine without it. If I used more parts packs like NovaPunch and B9 then I may consider getting it but for what I use its all fine.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

How many mods is too many? I downloaded a bunch, and I think I have like 50 of them sitting in a folder while I sort through and try to figure out which ones I really want, or which ones I could live without.

When the game crashes to desktop when you have Active Texture Management installed, thats when you have too many mods installed.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

:jebstare:

(from Reddit)

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

You can use things like the aerodynamic pylon near the engine to soak some heat up, its what I used to do when running large amounts of NERVAs to keep them from melting.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Ive been making IRL rockets lately for a project I want to start soon, here are my ULA launchers the Atlas V 401 and the Delta IV-M+(4,2).

Got them setup for their latest missions here, Atlas V with a US GPS satellite (launched last night) and the Delta IV with the GSSAP 1 and 2 with the ANGELS tech demo satellite riding under those. In real life ANGELS was attached to a small sat payload ring called a ESPA ring but in KSP it would become rather unbalanced so I decided to just stack them on top of each other. And yes the SRBs on the Delta are not correctly scaled for the rocket, I am going to write my own config for the Globe VI SRB from KW to replace that at some point.

I am using TweakEverything, TweakScale, Procedural Fairings and KW Rocketry for these mostly. The launch clamps are from FASA, the radar thing on the GPS satellite is from SCANSat and the folding dish antenna is from the Tantares capsule pack I believe.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Sounds like you need a second, and perhaps, a third and fourth KLAW mission to put that bad boy in its place (in orbit).

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Funds are not all that limiting, in my main career save I have, with little to no problem amassed over 7million Funds and I have yet to launch anything beyond robotics to orbit Duna, not even landed yet as I'm have way too much fun on and around Kerbin with Station Science and Extra Contracts/Fine Print.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Arsonide posted:

Incidentally we could use ideas for more types of landmark.

Totally need a volcano and hot water springs in the arctic and antarctic areas.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

I used to use HullCam: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/46365-0-23-5-Hullcam-VDS-Converted-DEA-to-MU-Updated-7-Jun

Not sure if its working with .24 but it should be.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

That debug line has been there since pre-0.18 I think. First time I saw it was in 0.18.

Does anyone else use "Kerbal ISP Difficulty Scaler", by Ferram, to make KSP engines work more like real life engines? I have been playing around with it and while it does the job of keeping fuel flow the same and increasing thrust with ISP instead of fuel efficiency I cant quite nail the settings to a point were it's feels real but real for the Kerbal world.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Arsonide I have a request, can you add a few contracts that appear if you have SCANSat installed to put various mapping satellites into mostly polar orbits of planets/moons?

I honestly have no clue how hard that would be but it would be awesome if that was possible.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

So after escaping the large robot that stopped them from launching rockets, the Kerbals finally got to the moon....

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

My money is on MechJeb without 90% of the automation features.

That or ModStatistics.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

The guy who made Enhanced Navball said on reddit he has not been contacted about it so it is not ENB.

Ferram said Squad have no intrest in realistic aerodynamics and would not want to implement FAR/NEAR.

Let's be honest, its SpacePlanePlus and we know it.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Just this. IXS Enterprise! (Even if the hull reads KSS Manley!)

(click for huge)

Link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89799-Nasa-IXS-Warp-ship-for-Interstellar

Zaran fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 24, 2014

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

RoverDude posted:

Hi... I sometimes make mods. I heard you folks were aware of some older KAS source code that was GPL?

This post makes me happy.

Great job on Karbonite, really fun plugin to be playing with!

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Im up for alpha/beta testing your stuff RoverDude if you need more testers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Ever wondered what it looks like to be sitting next to a Rocket Engine that has failed and starts spraying fuel all over the test pad?

Well now you can watch that in highspeed 240fps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-4n-2MtECE&hd=1
Highspeed starts at 30 seconds in.

• Locked thread