Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

General_Failure posted:

So, watching those other ball .gifs leads me to ask, why did my ball explode?

A game that forces the tough questions.

With the new flags in the World Cup pack, I decided to start a Nigerian career.

Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Satellites should scan the same focused or unfocused, time warp or no time warp. You put the loving thing up there, quit being fiddly. Same with miners, really. You put the infrastructure in place, let it just goddamned work. If someone exploits power, who loving cares?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I recently got back into KSP after a couple versions and wanted to set up a Nigerian career mode space program. Space Station 419, etc. - look, just assume if there's a nigerian prince joke, I made it. After getting tired of probe flybys to planets/moons and mining science off the Mun itself, I decided to try to make a combination orbital science lab/tanker, with a science hopper over Minmus. Idea being, land on Minmus, mine science in a given biome, dock with orbital station, transfer science, reset experiments, repeat. Was I wrong in thinking I could just use the lab module to reset materials bay and goo experiments? I couldn't seem to get it to work. For what it's worth, I had to de-orbit and relaunch the program a few times first (at ungodly expense and the loss of two lives to a periapse miscalculation), and that means drinking.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Science lab requires Kerbals in the lab module itself (2, iirc). Did you have them?

I did the 2nd? time? Maybe I just wasn't even checking by then. It was like, a day ago and who has the time?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

shortspecialbus posted:

Can we get back to discussing that video and how it's a crime that it's probably ineligible for an Academy Award?

Oh, yeah, I meant to bring that up, too. It is incredible.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

YouTube needs an option to filter out comments flagged as unhelpful morons.

I really, really wish there was some kind of Carnegie-Mellon project to develop a neural net capable of reading Internet comments and determining who's a shithead.

Edit: MIT, you guys can get on this, too! Reach for the brass ring!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Lowtax gonna be super bummed when it shuts this place down.

There are some objectively good posters here in this thread alone, though! I mean, such an AI would probably seize control of NORAD and nuke the servers for FYAD alone, but~

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Warbird posted:

So any bets on what the new currency will be called? Or how long it will take people to find the file to edit to change it?

I'm still pretty pissed that it's not kesos.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Flagrant Abuse posted:

That reminds me that sometime before 0.24 hits, I need to get screenshots of my replicas of real rockets. I have a policy of never using packs that are essentially just kits like the FASA rockets; if I want to recreate something real (or proposed), I have to use other sources like KW or the like.

I'd love to see them, if you feel like posting them.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Amazing poo poo.

Never stop. I wanna see your Soyuz!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Flagrant Abuse posted:

loving great poo poo.

You're loving aces. Never stop. I mean, stop spaceplane because spaceplanes are stupid. But never stop capsules.

Maxmaps posted:

Putin Stuff In Space

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ohgodwhat posted:

Like, I don't even know anymore:

On the throttle being set to 50% on launch:

Jesus tapdancing Christ, these loving people.

Also, gently caress it, I'm hype as gently caress, too. In fact, releasing tomorrow or Tuesday would be perfect for me; those are my days off work.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nth Doctor posted:

I think it ought to be at 9:32am EDT on Wednesday.

Motherfucker :negative: That's the start of my work week!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So now that we're done talking about the virtues/pitfalls of early access for the millionth time, it's time to ask ourselves: will it be today?

For the millionth time.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ukle posted:

Just think no, that way you wont be disappointed and will have a pleasant surprise if it does finally arrive.

I want to do this, and it's how I normally handle game releases. .24's got me unusually hype.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It's always been Squad's plan to make KSP a F2P, with a purchasable premium account for parts larger than 1m.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

MohawkSatan posted:

Hitler is a secret Mexican dude.

Confirming the fears of old white people throughout the American southwest.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Wait hang on what are we getting in a tizzy about? ModStatistics?

It's a stupid thing in some mods that tracks what mods are used, and goons are super enraged about it. I get it in principle, but in practice, I just don't understand all the hullaballoo.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Like I said, I get it in principle. I just don't think this particular application is really any cause for concern, and I don't wind myself up thinking about slippery slopes.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
People actually playing the game: How are the new contracts working out so far? Unfortunately, I have about 7 hours before I can play this.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Good point man, we should just ignore it and it'll probably go away. I mean there's no precedent or anything.

ugh can we not please

Germstore posted:

The upper speed limit on the test x-part contracts tend to be really low (maybe it's intended as part of the challenge, maybe I'm too :jeb:).

What kind of speeds are we talking? Because I'm pretty :jeb: m'self.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Venusian Weasel posted:

Man, looks like I need to get a claw or cargo bay to retrieve him. Looks like my rescue rocket is going to head home and come back again later.

Something wrong with just adding an empty capsule?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sylink posted:

What do you want from me game??

It wants you to read the thread, which has covered this several times!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Rohaq posted:

Any idea if action groups work? That would be way easier than relying on staging.

I'm curious about this, as well.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lord Yod posted:

Having a really weird issue, when KSP is running in 64-bit and I switch to Chrome (running KSP windowed) I can't switch between tabs anymore. Sitting on about 35% CPU and 30% RAM usage.

Also Mechjeb won't show up in the toolbar :eng99:

I had the tab issue myself. You need to hit ESC in KSP to pause it. You can't currently switch Chrome tabs while actively in flight.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Luneshot posted:

Put
code:
-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded -popupwindow 
in the launch options for KSP 64-bit in Steam.

Is that really all there is to that pile of gibberish?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Rohaq posted:

Because not everybody is running the Steam version, and there's considerable push from the 'GRR STEAM!' people in the KSP community.

I guess it's easier for me to say this because I'm not relying on them for income, but gently caress those spergs.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Bolow posted:

Looks like KW Rocketry is adding in 5m parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2sQoDFGxhc

:getin:

I guess that explains why it hasn't released for 0.24 yet. I can't wait to Jeb the gently caress out of those.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Iceshade posted:

Welp, one too many hops. Time for a refueling mission to save about 7 surface samples and 7 eva reports, 2 goops and 1 material bay. That's a lot of science I kinda don't want to lose :shepface:

If it was a manned mission, you might be better off just having the pilot suck out all the science from the modules, then launch a rescue mission just for him. Probably easier to engineer.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Iceshade posted:

How does that work? I've got all those reports in the capsule, and two in the external goop pods and a material bay. Can a kerbal just .. suck out all the science.. and take it home with him?

Fortunately the craft is in orbit of Kerbin, albeit slightly further than Minmus and perhaps 20m/s away from escape velocity.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can just "take data" from the capsule itself on EVA if you're near it, same as any of the experiments. I didn't realize your craft was in orbit, though, I thought it was still on the surface. If your science craft has a docking port, a refueling mission in orbit's probably way easier.

Cannot Find Server posted:

You don't seem to 'get' Kerbal Space Program

Man :(

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Unimpressed posted:

What do you mean?

Anything that isn't as difficult as humanly possible is cheeeaaaatiiiiiinnnnngggg.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Besides I can't be the only one who thinks massively over-wide procedural fairings look a bit daft. :v:

No, I agree. I just tend to scale my payloads down once I realize my fairing looks stupid, rather than trying to fit it all in a specific volume, as if there's only one fairing manufacturer in all the world and goddammit, von Kerman, it comes in three loving sizes and that's it!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Samsquamsch posted:

Maybe a newbie question, but after updating to 0.24, my most active save, which was career mode, now has a budget limit. I was playing career mostly to get familiar with basic parts and self-reward by unlocking the tech tree by doing science, and now I've got several space stations including one made out of asteroids, two Munar mining colonies, and ships on Duna. And now it's restricted by a budget :( is there any way to change the type of gamesave to Sandbox rather than Career? I'd really like for it to be my unhampered save.

And speaking of money troubles, what happens if you get too low on funds and can't afford to launch a ship that would allow you to fulfill another contract? Dead end?

Sincerely, someone still entirely unfamiliar with 0.24

I know when you select career mode originally in .24 for a new save, you can pick whether it's science only or budget+science. I dunno if there's a way to edit your save file to change that (there probably is).

In the meantime, honestly, if you do a handful of the basic missions, you're seriously going to have more Funds than you know what to do with. My first career attempt (which I quit and deleted because I am an idiot manchild) I was sitting on ridiculous piles of money by carefully crafting vehicles with the absolute cheapest parts and narrowest dV budgets.

My second career, I'm sitting on ridiculous piles of money by building whatever overengineered bullshit I want with massive stages and way too many parts. It's not balanced toward poverty or even the vaguest sense of fiscal responsbility at this point, which I'm honestly enjoying. Save a bunch of orbiting Kerbals, leave flags all over the place. Takes an hour or two and you won't have to worry about money anymore. For parts-testing, I don't even bother with "in flight" poo poo. Landed at Kerbin, in orbit, splashed down. They're all five-minute missions.

E: Also, your current program sounds boss.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Curious if anyone's had CTD issues with the new Procedural Fairings version. Last one worked okay. Current mods:

I would go to the official forums but then my wife and I would end up in the paper.

E: I give no fucks about ModStats.

E2: Well, now it CTDs when I add a part to a capsule so who the gently caress knows.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 21, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Falken posted:

Is that second one a FASA Saturn V or is there a new KW version with 5M parts?

Beautiful renders though. Your work?

The latter. No idea whose work.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ragzilla posted:

Does the toolbar show up in your VAB? Try disabling all toolbar buttons in the the VAB, drag it to the edge of the screen, and turn on auto-hide.

This appears to have been the issue. I had to start a new save in order to configure it, but it's working in my main save. You're awesome, thanks!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Arsonide posted:

Finally got these fuckers working.

This needs to be released immediately. Please allow me to join the chorus in saying that you're aces.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Splode posted:

Could you exploit the sub objectives? Have a sub-objective of landing on the Mun (which grants your desired reward, say 100000) and then completing the contract by returning to Kerbin 'rewards' you with -100000

Just a thought, not sure how the code works

Everything has to be de-orbited eventually, though. Maybe -75000 in that scenario? You've got your money's worth!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So for Extra Contracts, do your surface bases need to have intact landing legs in order to count as "landed"? I put down Mun Base Alpha on the surface of (obviously) the Mun and fulfilled the requirements of capacity for six Kerbals (though it wasn't actually manned), having an open docking port, and having a functional antennae. I got credit for all of those items, but never actually got completion as "landed". The bottom half of the heavy landing legs sheared off due to engine exhaust (:jeb:). Maybe it needs to be manned?

Of course, it only occurred to me to take a screenshot after I frowned a lot and terminated the craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DaveKap posted:

Edit: I am a stupid person who didn't know career mode locked windows in MechJeb. Gawrsh.

Not stupid at all, man. I actually stopped playing KSP for a couple-few months because MechJeb wasn't working the way I was accustomed to, and I'm more a fan of design and mission planning than actual piloting. If you haven't figured it out, you can edit the part .cfg file in MechJeb and change the tech tree nodes at which those features become available. I just put 'em all at "start".

In other news, is there a document anyone can point me to that explains how to mod in my own missions? I want commercial satellite missions and more stuff around Kerbin, especially in the earlier tech nodes. I see MCE is updated, and there's Extra Contracts (which is great), I just wanna try my hand at it on my own.

• Locked thread