Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I just spent the past couple hours getting back in to the game. With a fresh career up and running, already making orbit with tier-2 parts in a nearly SSTO. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Crusader posted:

Haven't had a chance to asteroid wrangle yet, but the new SLS parts are immensely satisfying in and of themselves. It was really straightforward to replicate the first planned flight (EM-1) with what I felt was a close equivalent of the Block I stack - manned though; KSP doesn't truck in unmanned capsules outside of rescue missions:

This is sexy.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Alehkhs posted:

Looks like somebody forgot to flip the libnoise example map and add the crater.

:staredog:

All this time, I thought it was parts of earth cobbled together. The continent KSC is on always reminded me of Africa, and other parts looked like North and South America with different scales.

I need to think about my life, now.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Falken posted:

Wait, who is Katherine?

Katherine Johnson, I think. She came up either in this thread or the spaceflight megathread earlier this week.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

So after playing this game on and off for literally years, I finally have successfully landed and returned from another celestial body. Minmus really is landing easy-mode. I didn't bother taking any screenies, but I actually called an audible and landed with a non-purpose built lander. The entire mission netted me 439 science, so I guess I better go back with a biome hopper/reprocessing lab, eh?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Bolian Blues posted:

First docking! Not pictured: Bill and Bob, who were slammed into the Mun at ~400 m/s out of frustration at my first failed attempt. They deserved it.

Welcome to the docking club, friend. The first time I docked, I felt like a rocket science God. I hope you did, too.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Velius posted:

My two and a half year old just spent the last hour crashing and blowing up Kerbal Xs, and now has just discovered he can make EVAs. Now he keeps wanting to "make the astronauts fall out" mid flight. He says they hurt their noggins when they land, and is excited. I'm a little bit worried, now.

My newly 3 years old daughter loves KSP as well. For the first time ever, yesterday, she spammed spacebar while I was doing the first flight of my orange tank asparagus rocket. Thank god I used sepatrons on the stages, because I still have a 0 body count on this save file. :coal:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Ratzap posted:

Quite, his fan club is pretty weird - trying to compete on how hard they made things for themselves and trying to find things about each other to call cheating. Very different to the behavior of the Interstellar fans drooling over how much praise they can heap. When the mod threads get boring you can study the different microcosms.

I wonder how much of his fan club he brought from Minecraft, vs. how much his "style" of modding appeals to a common mindset that was already attracted to Minecraft/KSP.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Falken posted:

The top fairing is part of the (pending, haven't unlocked it yet) Launch Escape system. Everything north of the decoupler comes off clear of the rocket with the top half of the fairing which is there for aerodynamics.

Speaking of the LES, am I the only one who thinks that the unlockable one seems underpowered? I tested it on a plain-jane SRB and a 3 man capsule, and it seemed barely able to yank the capsule away from the fiery death motor. Had this been on a multi-orange tanked asparagus behemoth, I could easily see the capsule striking one of the lower parts of the rocket as everything goes tits-up.

I may just stick with my old faithful escape tower from ages past:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Drake_263 posted:

The problem isn't as much the acceleration as some types of engine failure (having a stack of tanks break halfway, example) locking the problem thrusters in the ON position. At this point you're still accelerating even as you're doing your level best to fire off the LEM.

^ This.

Imagine on an asparagus launch, you gently caress up your decoupler staging, so when you stage, you've suddenly got an orange tank on an uncontrollable mainsail crashing its way up your stack. The LES not only needs to get your capsule off of the top, but also away from the debris cloud quickly.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Krataar posted:

Does anybody have any tips for outside kerbin activities? I managed to get a science missile to moho, but realized transmitting is awful. I've got docking down, but everytime I try to make bigger ships via docking to get to duna or jool they either spin off course when throttled up or shake to much.

illectro has used a train-like setup for interplanetary travel, before. Add a pair of nuclear engines to the front of your rocket, and have them tow the thing to wherever.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Geirskogul posted:

So, you built a game, within a game? Where will it end?!

Probably around the time that FlowerChild introduces BetterThanCables to mod the cranegame in the rocketgame.

It makes a BDSM "docking harness" for the crane to pick things up with dicks.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I just had my first death MIA in my current savefile. I ran an Apollo style lander out to Minmus and did the landing, reorbit, rendezvous, and docking last night.

Then I went to bed.

When I got on today, I pointed the capsule homewards and burned for Kerbin. The one thing I forgot todo was realize that Bill and Bob were still in the lander can until I undocked and decoupled the capsule from everything right above the atmosphere.

In a panic, I EVA'd Bob and flung him toward the capsule but couldn't get him close enough to enter. As the reentry effects triggered, I left him to his own devices, popped the chutes on the return capsule, and jumped to the lander still falling through the atmosphere. I was able to bring Bill in for a safe landing and protect the sweet science cargo that was stuck in my landercan.

Enjoy your vacation, Bob. I'm sorry for deorbiting you with out a MOOSE. :smith:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

OAquinas posted:

OK, I have a question: when would you use a Separator over a Decoupler? It seems like it would just generate an extra piece of debris with the ring.

When you're doing a mission that stows a lander like the LEM on a Saturn V. A separator between the bottom of the service module and the docking port on the top of the lander is ideal since you would want it to float away rather than block either your engine or your docking port.

My current Apollo style launcher has two decouplers back to back and triggered at the same time to replicate this, because I designed the drat thing before unlocking separators. :downs:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

ScottyJSno posted:

I just had a Kerbal doing a EVA on Minmus go unresponsive. He was out taking samples and I switched to the space center for a min and when I took back control of him he froze and fell over. Now he isn't responding to any keyboard commands exept to turn his lights on and off. Is there anything I can do? I think I might send a rescue team out and try kicking him into action.

Any thoughts?

I had something like this happen when I hit V while EVA'd. I think it has to do with the fact that the coordinate system the game uses is north-aligned (so KSC at the equator is actually rendered sideways and then rotated before being displayed). Hitting V another couple of times fixed the issue.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

YF19pilot posted:

I need to watch more of those Scott Manley videos. I'm going in blind, and want to play vanilla until I get to Mun. I didn't realize maneuver modes were a thing. Like, I saw videos and pictures showing the feature, but didn't realize that wasn't a mod. That's gonna make this game so much easier. Also, yeah, made orbit with a single stage rocket. Next goal: Munshot! (Orbit and return anyways). I'll do it the efficient nerdy way, and then I'll do it the Glorious Juche Kerban way, with a KerbDong that is three times bigger than previous!

Scott Manley's videos are alright, but you really need to see the stuff put out by illectro here on the forums.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Tusen Takk posted:

Are you the developer of KSP? :aaa:

Max, as his avatar rightly says, does public relations work for Squad as his day job.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Hey Mr. Manley.
I shouldn't have left off the :v: on my earlier post, I suppose.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Arkitektbmw posted:

Hey guys,

Dunno if this has been shared, but here's a cool video of the MMS Mission and it's orbit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyjMzp2Irg

I loving love the Goddard logo clip at the end. :allears:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I would make this a background in a heartbeat, but for the fact that the one on the right seems to be trying to look down her shirt.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Nevets posted:

With apologies to the original artist:

This is beautiful.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

The numbers and complexity. Calculate the kinetic energy of something at orbital velocity, then calculate its potential energy difference vs ground level. Or the reverse order.

This is the succinct answer. I can't remember if the last balloon-launch debate was in this thread or the spaceflight megathread, but the final answer is: it takes a lot less energy to go straight up and hit a certain altitude than it does to hit an orbit at that altitude, because you need so much velocity going sideways in order to achieve orbit.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Maxmaps posted:

Like a bad Sim City mayor, a bad administrator can and will be booted.

YOU CAN'T FUND PARACHUTES. YOU WILL REGRET THIS. :jeb:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Geemer posted:

E: drat you, Nth Doctor! :argh:

:ocelot:
You went through more effort, so kudos on that.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Did I miss a link to the logos somewhere?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The Atlas actually did drop its booster engines, but no tankage. The boosters fed from the same tank as the sustainer, dropping away after cutoff. The LES was jettisoned 23 seconds later.

Compare to the Mercury-Redstone system, where occasionally the LES jettisoned at T0.029 and an altitude of 4".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O4V7JfeTSU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

haveblue posted:

So far it has a probe core/observation seat, two polar power sources, and this habitat module complete with courtyard and zero-gravity crew navigation system. Next will be a science lab and docking field.

Nice Kondos.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

shortspecialbus posted:

Scripting is only for those who want to not do hours of tedious avoidable busy work.

This was an artisan handcrafted spreadsheet, lovingly made by a coder in Mexico for that authentic Squad touch. Any imperfections are there simply to drive home the diligent expertise of the creator and increase the perceived value of the document over one created by loveless machines.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was given KSP last year for my birthday as a present from my wife

She's a keeper.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Arsonide posted:

Rowsdower corrected me on Reddit later that day, it's not two to four days after the media group starts releasing. It's one day or less. The release is probably tomorrow.

I think it ought to be at 9:32am EDT on Wednesday.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Hremsfeld posted:

Personally, I'm okay with waiting until 13:32 UTC tomorrow :spergin:

:hfive: Sup Apollo Anniversary Observing Buddy!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Zero One posted:

Anyone who has had Vernors can testify that the coughing fits caused by the bubbles can send you to orbit.

What coughing fits? :smug:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Can someone tell me how I get cash in 0.24?? I keep doing contracts but I'm always losing money, has anyone else had this issue? I recorded a video of it here. It might be that i'm a dumb idiot and doing it completely wrong?

Do more ship spins, noob. 360000000° nolook noscope landing on mun. 5 KitKoins

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Captain Hair posted:

Everyone should take a break for mashing f5 for a few moments to think about all the brave souls 45 years ago and what must have been going through their minds. Just under 30 to launch, soon to be in space, hell, soon to be on their way to the frikkin' moon!

It was well before my time, but I've spent hours, maybe even days at this point, reading the reports, listening to the logs and watching the videos. Amazing stuff. How we ever managed it is incredible.

They should totally have it set up in 5 years to do a livestream of the original launch, set to the same time as the original as if it's being broadcast with a 50 year delay. Be interesting to see how many people tuned in.

One of my favorite space related projects was ApolloPlus40 on Twitter five years ago. They tweeted major steps in realtime for the whole mission duration.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Zaran posted:

I hear there is some kind of hype train that is within the range safety no-train area. Working on getting the train to crash.

Any Russian SIGINT botes?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Elman posted:

How do I get the x64 version to work on Steam again? If I rename the .exe I get an "unable to find mono library" error. It works just fine if I run it manually though.

You also need to rename /KSP_x64_Data/ to /KSP_Data/ then you're golden.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Don't be like me: accept all of the World Firsts contracts as soon as they appear. I accidentally overachieved my way out of 3 contracts worth of rewards. :sigh:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Maxmaps-
Has Squad considered only allowing access to System.IO / System.Net through an interface that you maintain access to? Basically: if the mod's assemblies directly reference those namespaces (apparently via this reflection method, then don't load them. That way Squad has a degree of control over what actually does file and network IO up to and including a check for a consent token generated when the user agrees to the interaction.

Are there other C# people think this isn't a stupid idea? I've done <10 minutes of research into it, but it seems pretty smart to me.

Edit: Upon further reflection (:v:) a setup with the explicit C# sandbox may be better. It appears as though you could grant or deny fine-grained file IO and possibly network as well, though I haven't found how in my lunchtime reading.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 21, 2014

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Gau posted:

Just sold one of my friends on KSP by showing him that sick YouTube, now he's stoned and trying to figure out how he can put more boosters on his increasingly :jeb: rocket designs.

Reminds me of my friend's 5 year old daughter: she made her entire rocket out of parachutes and decouplers. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Geirskogul posted:

Junior Programmer

Seņor Programmer

Edit: AWFUL APP :argh:

Edit 2: Fixed

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 23, 2014