Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Woo, new thread!

The new lifter engines and SRBs are pretty great. The particle effects are really nice looking as well!

Speaking of nice looking, this game is really pretty sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

OH GOD HELP IM NOT GOOD AT ASTEROIDS

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 2, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

The new ion engines are useful/fun for rover action. I set the thrust limiter to around 60% for both engines here and was able to cruise around KSC gracefully at full thrust at around 20m/s.

Jeb agrees.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

After further testing, top Kerbals have decided that this needs further testing.

Those clouds look really cool, I might have to check those out. The clouds and city lights mod was the cause of a lot of random crashing and FPS hits in .23 for me, has that been alleviated at all?

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 2, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

So hey, where the hell are the Basic Flight and Orbiting 101 tutorials? The only thing I have under training missions is To the Mun Part 1, which strongly recommends that I already have Basic Flight and Orbiting 101 under my belt.

Should be under training on the main menu. Try verifying your KSP game cache on Steam, and if that fails, try a complete re-install. Sounds like you may be missing some files somewhere.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Space elevator, going up.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

AceClown posted:

OK stupid KSP newbie question again

I've got the Science Jr and I blast off with it stuck under my lander, take a load of readings and sciency stuff, upon landing the fucker blows up, recover the module, no science points

Next time I do the same, manage to get it down, take a surface reading and get a message saying dust has hosed up my readings, recover the stuff, no science points

So I think "lets do this poo poo properly" add some landing feet so I don't blow it up, don't open it up on the ground, everything seems perfect so I recover the module. NO loving SCIENCE POINTS.

I don't even know...

Are you making sure you "keep" the data after you run the science experiment? It's the big green button on the window that pops up. After you land, you should be able to run your science jr -> hit "keep" -> recover vessel, and when you get back to KSC scene it will have a science window showing your gains. After you run the experiment and "keep" it, you can actually grab the data out of the science jr. on an EVA walk and your kerbal will be carrying it around instead.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 2, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Ah, thanks. I am astronomy major, so I want just to fiddle around space in something that is a variety space mission game, but has at least remote resemblance with real life. I will then wait for some KSP discounts to surface and hope that by that time RPL 0.19 is released. Even though it does look like I will have to spend some time around stock KSP in the beginning, to get the grasp of things.

Don't know if you realize this or not, but KSP is currently 40% off on steam. If you were planning to pick it up in the near future, now is a good time.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Spaceman Future! posted:

Once base building is a thing rovers should see some use, both for Kerbal transport to mining / whatever sites and transport of resources to a central location where they can be blasted off planet back to Kerbin to feed the march of the space program juggernaut. Could be a good use for jets too if you can establish mining sites around kerbin, easier to ferry ore around in a plane than a rocket. Would also be a practical use of autopilot that isn't too cheaty, send Jeb off in a plane for a resource pickup and check in later after he lands / crashes horrifically.

Interesting idea. You could choose to carry out your missions yourself, or send some Kerbals to do it for you with a percent chance (say 20% or so) to crash and you having to go fix their ship/rescue them. A possible use for the "stupidity" stat, haha.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

The first time my science package dissapeared into thin air because it passed out of the "physics bubble", I was really confused and didn't know what was going on. Turns out the game doesn't support multiple ships in atmosphere very well. This is one of the things I wish the stock game handled better, for sure. You never know, though, the game isn't finished yet.

For now, you can download http://kerbalspaceport.com/lazor-system/ to solve the problem if you like. It has an option that let's you increase the physics bubble to up to 99km.

There does seem to be some weirdness as far as drag goes, though. For example I built a plane that would drop a science package bay over the north pole at around 10k up. The seperation and everything worked fine, but when I switched over to the science package to activate the chutes and whatnot, I noticed that my plane (now unfocused) was accelerating at a VERY quick rate, almost like the game wasn't calculating drag on it while it wasn't focused. As soon as I switched back, the plane would suddenly slow down and fall back to whatever speed it was cruising at.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=KAS

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I've had quite a few bugs this release as well, including the phantom force making my ship rotate for seemingly no reason when I applied thrust.

I also encountered a bug where after tracking an asteroid in the tracking center, I got "stuck" on it, meaning I could not select anything else, nor could I exit the tracking center. Had to alt-tab and manually close the game process to get out of it.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 12, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

It wasn't fuel lines. Interestingly enough, it would only happen at above 50% thrust or so. Below that, my ship would fly perfectly straight.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Here's a few pics of the ship in question. It's using shuttle engines on 4 sides. They are each tilted outwards, so it should be perfectly symmetrical and shouldn't be causing weird rotational forces like what I was experiencing. It actually was carrying a rover underneath, which I thought might be causing it due to one of my engine exhausts hitting it, but even after dropping the rover, it flew exactly the same.

Here we are still connected to the transfer module.

Landed on the surface of the Mun.

Bill is off on an adventure!

Hitting a sweet jump

OH SHI

Uh, Kouston, I think we have a problem.

(yes, he was stuck and I had to go rescue him)

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 12, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Speaking of bugs, I just ran into another one. I can't switch out from 2x symmetry in the SPH. As in, when I press the button to switch back to 1x, nothing happens. It only stays on 2x. This is probably caused by some mod, but it's the first I've seen of it. Anyone else run into this or know what causes it?

edit: seems like the B9 tail adapters are causing this. As soon as I detached it from my ship, the problem went away.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Roflex posted:

This happens when trying to use the stock tricoupler in the SPH too. It's been around since at least 0.20

I actually had a stock tricoupler on the back of my B9 adapter. So that is what probably was causing it.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Suppose you wanted to put a class‐E potatoroid on display at KSC. How would you go about it? Attempt a controlled fly‐in? Drop it straight down? Skycrane? Crawler‐transporter?

I suppose a good method would be to reduce your asteroid's speed to near 0 right above KSC while still in orbit. The rock will have nowhere to go but straight down. This is probably the most :jeb: way. Bring something with lots of thrust!

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

It looks like your shuttle engines are pointing straight down. Because of the weight of your booster, your center of mass is probably wonky on that thing.

Check out the engines on the shuttle here:

They are actually gimballed outwards to compensate for the center of mass being offset by the huge booster. There are a few mods out there that give you similar engines to build your own shuttle with.

link

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

PDP-1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC0DpPy6cro

I wonder how many tries it took to get that shot just right.

3 posted:

Quotin' dis for the new page.

Oh my god, this is amazing. Dunked so hard.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Mechjeb lets you create custom windows that show exactly what information you tell it to show. You can use this to create a small window that only shows Ap and Pe, if you like. I used this method for a while to make a little window that showed my Ap, Pe, tAp, tPe, current biome,, and time to SOI switch.

edit: ^^ the amount of radiators on that thing seems a little like overkill, haha

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 14, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Did you seriously only come here to post this? Thanks for your contribution to the thread, you've been great. Now get out.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Without DRE, you should be able to put your Pe into Kerbin atmosphere without worrying about breaking up. Coming in from a super high angle, though, or anything faster than 2500 m/s, I would definitely make sure your ship had a drogue chute or two on it to slow you down before your main chutes pop open.

FAR can rip your ships apart, but I think this is something that only happens with planes mainly. The forces you experience during re-entry are a bit different.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

RealChute let's you tweak all that stuff in the action group manager. It also makes your chutes work more like real parachutes, meaning they slow you down a bit more gradually, as opposed to you hitting that g-force wall when your chutes pop like normal.

edit: didn't realize that stuff was stock now, awesome! RealChute is still a cool mod, though.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 14, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

That Ion ship reminds me of the one I built for my Kerbals to land on Minimus with right after 23.5 dropped:

Ion engines are fun.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

So I'm encountering a really annoying bug. For some reason, some of my decouplers are refusing to actually decouple, and completely ruining my missions.

What the hell is going on here?

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Figured it out. In case anybody runs into the same problem, apparently this bug happens when you have part clipping enabled in the VAB. I fixed it by restarting KSP (thereby turning off part clipping) and going back into the VAB to detach and reconnect the decouplers.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Kerbals are the greatest.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

double nine posted:

I'll try it. One question though: it says in big bold letters to delete boulderco before installing, does that mean delete->use plugin->reinstall, or something else? I'm especially confused because lower down the page it says they added documentation for boulderco, so I'm unsure if this has since been resolved?

This refers to older installations if they exist. If you've never used it before, just drop your mod folders into GameData and load up KSP, and you should be good to go.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Speaking of bugs.

This is a simple lifter with 4 liquid fueled cores attached radially, but somehow it turned into this upon launch.

The whole .craft file got screwed up somehow. Even when I tried to take it apart in the VAB, the game bugged out and had to be restarted.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Maxmaps posted:

Picturing the death and destruction from such a system being used on earth is a funny mental picture.

:jeb: gives no shits.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I think Spore broke a little piece of everybody's heart.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

Mend it by making swastika monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQKeLnZxGoU

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

So on my latest Mun trip, I put my lander inside the huge crater on the far side. I managed to touch down at the perfect spot at the perfect time to catch the sunrise coming up over the crater's outer rim.

This is my favorite game, by far, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I can only imagine the beauty of watching the real sun rise on the real moon.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Wanting to test my KSP engineering abilities, I decided to build my very own Kerbal space shuttle. So off to work I went, toiling away, until I had this:

Early flight tests were very promising. I was amazed at how agile it actually was, and suprisingly easy to land as well.

Satisfied with it's performance, I took off the aerospikes and threw on the shuttle engines, and it was launch time.

Weee! The ascent through the atmosphere was easier than I thought it would be. Aside from some minor sideslipping, which was easily adjusted, it was a nice smooth ride up to LKO.

As we went further up, the big orange fuel tank naturally wanted to roll underneath the ship, so I let it.

After we stabilize our orbit at a nice and even 100k, we take a moment to admire the view. Bill seems very pleased.

A few system tests. Gotta make sure that cargo bay opens properly and whatnot.

Sending Bob out to check for damages, making sure no foam clipped our wings during ascent.

After we confirm there's no damage, Bob gets back in and our crew gets ready for re-entry. Learning from the last time I attempted a shuttle re-entry, and since I play with DRE, I know to keep my angle of attack around 45 degrees to bleed off as much speed as possible in the upper atmosphere.

:jeb:

It works! Only minor explosions, and we still have all the important stuff!

Oh crap. Damnit, Bill, you overshot KSC by.... well, a lot.

Somehow I have juuuust enough fuel to turn around and make it back to the mainland, but not enough to make it all the way to KSC. Therefore, a grasslands landing it is.

Seriously, I was REALLY low on fuel. Maybe I should have put a jet engine on this thing somewhere? Either way, too late now, as we are gliding gracefully down to the surface of the planet.

So far, so good

Err... uhhh...

Nailed it.

Mission accomplished!

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

Edit: do I get any science for putting a satellite into orbit? I just launched a Stayputnik on my KerbDong and put it into orbit.

The only way you get science from it is by recovering it, or slapping some experiments on it and transmitting/sending a kerbal up to grab the science.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

Also, not to dissuade your awesome looking rocket, but that's about 100x bigger than you actually need to get into orbit. If you made it that big for fun, then awesome! If you're having trouble getting anything smaller into orbit then something is drastically wrong with either your game or your rocket design.

Most definitely correct. If you took those radial engines off that center stack, you could probably achieve orbit with it alone. Maybe a few boosters to get you moving, because boosters are always awesome.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 23, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

You don't have to raise your AP any higher than 70k to reach LKO, so some of that fuel can be saved for your circularization burn. Also, engines have different ISP values in atmosphere and in vacuum. Generally, you want to use your bigger engines with more thrust on your main stage for ascent and most of the heavy lifting, then use a smaller engine (LV-909 works if your ship is light enough) with better ISP in vacuum to finish off your orbit.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Zhent posted:

Scott Manley career mode tutorial series is incredibly helpful to figuring out the first couple of steps on how to get science, build a lander, explore Kerbin, et cetera. I will also advocate the use of Mechjeb, however I find that with some rockets it will induce a rocking that gradually builds in intensity until the whole thing shakes itself apart. Turning off Kill-Rot or SAS seems to solve the problem, however then the rocket falls off of its trajectory. I guess the correct answer is probably 'build a better rocket' but I can't seem to wrap my head around how to get a lander to fit inside a fairing.

The answer to your problem is Procedural Fairings

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

I wanted to add another thing here quick - one thing often overlooked is that "less is often more, smaller is often better" when it comes to actual efficient rocket design (I'm ignoring all :jeb: aspects here.) In a lot of cases, bigger rockets will just exist to lift themselves and you'll end up with a rocket many times more complex than it needs to be. You can get to Mun and back very very easily on the 1.25mm parts if you're only sending a capsule and necessary extras/science over. There's silly extreme cases of this as well with Minmus missions involving a tiny fuel tank and the tiniest rocket and a chair done by Abyssal Lurker or whatever. Remember that larger parts weight more, and in a lot of cases, it's better to reduce weight rather than add thrust.

This x100. You only need something like 700 640 delta V (according to this chart) to escape from the Mun to a a stable orbit, which can be achieved with a small white tank, 3 or 4 small white tanks attached radially and fuel fed into the main tank, and a small orange engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Bozonofski posted:

A little late, but I came across this awesome guide (with pictures) for aircraft in KSP.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52080-Basic-Aircraft-Design-Explained-Simply-With-Pictures

Really helped me getting something to fly with ferram installed.

With as many times as this gets posted here, it should be in the OP.

• Locked thread