Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Pagan posted:

One of the most annoying things about this game is trying to get the landing gear right on spaceplanes. I know the answer is "keep them straight," but even when things are straight, it's a coin toss. Is there any mod that just hacks the drat wheels? I appreciate all the physics modeling, but I feel like I'm spending more time getting the wheels right than I am working on the plane.

I've also got a question : What's "good" for altitude on a jet plane? And speed? I can get up to around 1600 m/s, I think above 22,000 meters, but I have trouble keeping the nose up and accelerating. Is that "good," and should I plan on firing rockets then? What kind of delta-v will I need to burn at that point to get in orbit?

That's pretty good for a jet. The biggest part of getting to orbit is getting the velocity needed to stay in orbit, which is around 2200+ I believe. So at 1600, you're already most of the way there, so you probably won't need a whole lot more to make it to a stable orbit. 22km and 1600 m/s is a good time to turn your rockets on and punch your AP to 70k. Then from there it's just a short burn at AP to make it a successful orbit.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

EightBit posted:

Can any goons tell me why this rover doesn't rove with a kerbal in the seat?

No electricity for the wheels would be my guess.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I get tons of random crashes when using 64 bit that force me to restart my computer. Seems to happen after a few scene changes, along with the right-click becoming mostly unresponsive.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Splode posted:

R.A.D. as an acronym is to put us off! Max has had the devs put in radiation, so now random solar flares will kill your crew rapidly.

This is kind of what I was thinking. Solar radiation or some other form of radiation that affects your kerbals somehow if you leave them floating around in space too long.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

zxqv8 posted:

I've taken what steps are available for memory management, though I'll have to try the opengl thing.

I'm mainly hoping that at some point down the line there's a plan to streamline the way the game loads assets in order to reduce the amount of time spent staring at the load screen when a random crash happens.

And it really does seem random. Mostly during scene changes, but I can sometimes launch and play for hours, and other times it will crash the first time I try to change scenes. Having a streamlined load process would mean that my efforts to isolate crash causes would take less than 5 minutes a launch. It's not a big deal to wait a few minutes for a few hours of play, but it gets tiring when the game just crashed twice at two different points in the process.

I still love the game :jeb:

(first world problems)

-force-opengl fixed the random crashing for the most part for me.

• Locked thread