Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Vetitum posted:

Are you guys deleting all old mods before updating and playing with asteroids?

A number of API calls inside the KSP assemblies changed and I think someone said some FX calls were added. Basically a lot of old mods may still work but you're safest throwing it all in the bin and only use mods which have been recompiled against the new DLLs. Mods where the author just writes 'seems fine without update' should be treated with suspicion if you start having problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I cleaned up and recompiled EditorExtensions and SelectRoot if any of you use them. They wouldn't compile straight up and they used some older calls so I wouldn't be surprised if people were having trouble with the old ones. Just drop the new DLL over what you have at the moment.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71576136/KSP/EditorExtensions.dll
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71576136/KSP/SelectRoot.dll

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

kalstrams posted:

Has anyone tried out Realism Overhaul? If so, does it work well?

Yes and yes/no. Right now, don't go there as an awful lot of the mods are in flux. Wait for MedievalNerd to release 0.19 of RPL (realistic progression lite). It's a very nice integration of all the 'real' stuff into a decent tree (meaning no artificial masochism like solar panels 1 tech from the end). The real fuel stuff add a lot of fun (IMO, some find it extra fiddly bullshit) and the real size stuff works too. I'm not too fond of the real solar system though, I've gotten fond of the Kerbol layout.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zxqv8 posted:

This, while wonderful, still has one notable limit. You can only snap to the vertical center-point on an object. That's still quite useful, but I'd prefer fractions of the whole length as snap points (like halves, quarters, eighths, and so on) that can be adjusted similarly to the degrees of separation on symmetrical placement. If that makes any sense?

The author of editor extensions showed up again a couple of days ago and he said he intends working on it again. Put your suggestions in his forum thread and who knows, they may come true.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Manoeuvre nodes persist through EVAs now. :neckbeard:

e: Unless that's from Kerbal Alarm Clock's new update.

Nope, apparently it's stock because PreciseNode dropped the part which let you save maneuver nodes as the author stated 'it is now part of the game'.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Here's a mod that was posted up today which the rover fans might want to try out

http://kerbalspaceport.com/roverscience/

interactive rover science.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Fishstick posted:

That goes real well with this one: http://kerbalspaceport.com/dmagicorbital/ . New science parts like telescopes, core drills and surface lasers.

Yeah, I was trying out Dmagic a few days before the ARM patch. Nice parts, good animations and it all seemed to work

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Alereon posted:

You have to use the latest dev version of MechJeb for compatibility with .23.5 and correct dV stats.

Bad timing, Sarbian released the 2.2 official last night which fixed most outstanding problems. I was using it last night and it's fine - the annoying delta V bug is gone.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Elukka posted:

...Yes, yes it does.

Has anyone tried Better Than Starting Manned? I like the idea but I just can't figure out how to get started. It gives you a probe core, SRB and a thermometer and I guess you're supposed to do some temperature measurements but, probably due to me using FAR (BTSM does rightfully warn about using it with other mods) the SRB gets going so high and fast that everything explodes. It's not controllable or thrust-limitable either.

I posted about it a few months ago -> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550902&userid=187407&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post425509023

His plugin removes a lot of the control methods 'because it's too easy' including thrust tweaks. If you want a 'new' experience with KSP, try the vertical tree. If you want challenge without masochism, try RPL 19 when it comes out (real soon).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60469-TechTree-0-23-Ackander-s-Vertical-Tech-Tree-Release-v1-15-45-c-Jan-11-2014
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58135-TechTree-0-22-Milestone18-Realistic-Progression-LITE-%28Get-on-TreeLoader%21%29

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Edminster posted:

He also lists the joint reinforcements of 23.5 as a 'known issue' that makes the game too easy for his liking. Every time you look, he's got a fresh facet of horrible and a gaggle of slavering fanboys.

Quite, his fan club is pretty weird - trying to compete on how hard they made things for themselves and trying to find things about each other to call cheating. Very different to the behavior of the Interstellar fans drooling over how much praise they can heap. When the mod threads get boring you can study the different microcosms.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Keiya posted:

Holy crap guys, Kerbin has more science in it than I thought. Apparently, most of the inland lakes and rivers count as the biome they're surrounded by, so you can get SrfSplashed reports for most of Kerbin's biomes, plus some of the small islands let you get SrfLanded in the water biome.

And it's good practice for precise Eve/Laythe landings to splash down in the middle the smaller inland lakes.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

I didn't know that had been added to Mechjeb, but the VAB is really where TWRs are the most useful. Not like you can meaningfully change them once you get there.

It always amuses me how short the threads memory is ;) This came up in the old thread weeks ago when it had been added to MJs dev build.

Zaran posted:

This one is a little old but still cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp6yj2k0Fpc&hd=1

Excellent video, this sort of dedication is what makes KSP so bloody good.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

Now the question is whether I should leave it and see what happens to it, maybe it'll break lightspeed!
Or if I should terminate it because it might cause my game to crash whenever I enter map view/the tracking station when it gets too crazy.

And no, I have no idea where the engine that was on that thing went. :iiam:

That thing is red flag Kraken bait and you know it! Delete! Purge!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MrDorf posted:

I may have missed it, but what's the best way to start off building science? I'm basically building and launching single/dual stage orbital ships with juuuuuust enough delta V to get into and back out of orbit. I'm about 3 tiers in, but I'm getting like, 10-15 science a flight, and hitting 90-tier stuff seems like a hell of a time-sink.

Personally, I scrape Kerbin clean and do Mun/Minmus flyby missions till I get the gravioli unlocked (always all the science first for me). Then build and launch 6 gravity detector mission ships with 15 sets of 2 graviolis. Low + High for Kerbin, Mun and Minmus (low gets an EVA too remember). That will get you within 4,000 of completing the tree - do a couple of landings and you're done.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I do almost the opposite. I reach as far out as my currently-unlocked level of tech will let me. Probes are nice for this. Blasting some low-end science gear on a direct ascent out of kerbin SOI gets you a nice wad of High Above The Sun science early on. Sometimes you can swing it where you just slowly drift out, you can even return it pretty easily which turns it into a pretty valuable haul with no brave lives risked.

Or risk those lives and grab the crew/eva reports too, but nothing falling from that altitude is going to survive with Deadly Reentry without some very conservative aerobraking.

High sun is "only" about 660 though with the EVA and it's a one off. A minimum exit and return will take what, 14 days each way? Launch a solar grab mission, set an alarm and do Kerbin SoI while it ticks down, buy gravioli with the proceeds ;)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I've been having good fun challenging myself to launch everything at a 45 degree heading. Munar missions and rendezvous get pretty complicated, but in a fun, tinkering-with-orbits way.

e: I also just found out that the "badlands" biome exists. Thanks, SCANsat!

You may want to look at this site: http://www.kerbalmaps.com/

It has Kerbin and the Muns biomes but oddly still hasn't been updated with Minmus biomes. Saves trying to remember where you saved the SCANsat maps to.

Maxmaps posted:

Hold on to that base. In an update or two that will be extremely valuable.

Way to go Max, everyone is going to start building pretty Kerbin rock necklaces now.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I read somewhere that the Apollo capsules were intentionally weighted off-center so their stable position was at an angle, to make the lifting-body angle of attack the default, stable position. I noticed that with Ferram, pods do actually work as lifting bodies, but requires constant key-tapping because ASAS won't hold it stable against the uneven drag. Totally going to nerd out trying to see how many batteries off-center it takes to make this work in KSP.

I think ferr4ms post on one of his threads states that the 1 man pod is ballistic only (as you've noticed) and the 3 man pod has an off centre CoM to allow better re-entries (skipping). Have you tried the 3 man pod? You may find it handles better.

I just had a 'squeee' moment, I've finally had some time to play and the latest MechJeb shows which biome the current landing cursor is over :dance:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Rynoto posted:

It doesn't help that the Minmus Biome map is absolutely insane. :v:

Makes landing in specific biomes rather annoying.

Yeah but the MechJeb change makes it much easier. Get your landing guidance out, wave the 'land at' cursor around till you see the biome you want, click and aim for the red cross (or let MJ w/e). No more checking maps and co-ordinates, it's beautiful :)

A new mod I tried out tonight is proving a keeper too - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76793-0-23-5-ScienceAlert-Experiment-availability-feedback
It bleeps and flashes (toolbar icon) when any of your ships science instruments could get science where you are. I used to find myself ducking in and out of the R&D barn to figure out what I still need to harvest. Now for example it'll bleep over a Kerbin biome if I'd forgotten to get an EVA there. Most excellent.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

So is it impossible or masochistic to do a .dll import to another development platform besides Visual Studio? I'm guessing that it is impossible but it can't hurt to ask.

e: ^^^ I wasn't convinced with the volumetric clouds until those screenshots. Wow. Might actually grab that mod now.

Unity3d uses MonoDevelop (and bundles the IDE with its downloads) making stuff for KSP is possibly easier in Mono since there are a quirky differences between VSC# and Mono. Meaning if you use VSC# you have to pay attention not to get caught by subtle gotchas. I use Mono, Dred uses VS I think - if you don't have a preference that you're used to you might be safer with Mono.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

That is not the answer I was expecting. Unless I'm overlooking something fundamental then using Linux as a dev environment for it should work fine.

e: post morning coffee I can see there is more to it than that according to info I'm finding now I know a bit more. So what is needed? Most of what I find is stream of consciousness blather on blogs.

I've never tried to do it on Linux but it should work. Download the Unity3d appropriate to the current KSP and install it (Mono 2.8.2 that was bundled with unity 3.5 works fine still for me but I should really upgrade). Then you need the parttool package from the KSP forums (buggered if I know what is current. 0.20 worked for me) and create a project, at that point you can toss the unity3d parts if you want but doing it that way around gets all the project files, links, libraries etc set up right.

As you're finding out, the modding documentation is beyond woeful. And I'm not really helping because as soon as I got it working I tried hard to forget how - it was not fun.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Synnr posted:

Who was the person who was updating the Tri-Hexagonal struts thing for their own use? I ended up really busy and now with this new version I'm re-doing my mods and figured I would snag it!

Do you mean this one? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24849-WIP-THSS-Tri-Hexagonal-Structural-Strut

YF19pilot posted:

Just bought the game two nights ago. Here's my first rocket I built in sandbox mode:

Not pretty, but does the job, this photo taken at the acme of my ballistic trajectory. Also about this time is when I realized that parachutes were separate from the command module. I find it funny that the Kermans were terrified all the way up, but happy, laughing and pleasantly pleased all the way until they died from the splashdown.

Otherwise, started the "career" mode. I must be doing something wrong (or incredibly right) for me to have just finished my 7th mission and Jebidiah is still alive and well (even after three botched launches).

Heh, good start but as you found out, a little too minimalist ;) Career mode will probably teach you how to make do with smaller lighter rockets too. One thing I'd point out to you about career mode is the amount of biomes near KSC. You can get a decent amount of early science to boost your initial designs by scraping them clean with cheesy pod+strut designs. Launchpad (yep, you can jump out and eva/sample there) and the runway are easiest to find but if you roll off the runway you will find another 2 - KSC is just off it and Shores is a little further. Join 2 pods end to end (or with box struts between) to roll straight off the runway.
Then there's water just a quick explosion away from the launchpad, a patch of tundra behind KSC along with grasslands, highlands and mountains.
You can find biome maps here: http://www.kerbalmaps.com/

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

That is singularly the most useful information I've seen to date. I don't see why Monodevelop on Linux won't work. There shouldn't be any platform specific dependencies. If I can sort this out there's a few things I've been aching to implement.

I had a dig around in my memory and my mono install. You need 2 parttools zips from

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65356-0-23-PartTools/ and
https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/parttools/PartTools%20020.zip

Install Unity but add the parttools before you start it up by unzipping the 0.20 pack and tossing the unityPackage into <Loc>\Editor\Standard Packages
Then start up Unity, tell it to create a parttools project, save and exit. Go to where you told it to put the project, there should be an Assets folder, unpack the 0.23 in there to overwrite the 0.20 stuff.
I remember having to tell it where the KSP install lived too (so it could find the DLLs) but I can't recall if that was in Unity or Mono.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

thehustler posted:

gently caress this Eve return poo poo :-(

Indeed. Landing on the higher parts is hard due to their size and the slopes (been there, tried that). Then you not only need the correct amount of dV but also delivered in the right time frame to avoid going too far over terminal velocity. It doesn't help that the green vermin are horrible at climbing ladders to get back in and so much worse at it in heavy gravity.

If you're serious about it, try using Kethane jets or an Interstellar thermal jet design to return. Once you get to the 35-40km altitude area you're golden.

YF19pilot posted:

I think this is what threw me off last night. I didn't realize I can get science by just poking around Kerbal. Instead I've been fighting and clawing to get orbit. Time to start the Terrestrial Inspection Team of Science!

Last version I scraped Kerbin almost entirely clean without spending any science in one save as an experiment. Polar landings and low orbit works too and I ended up with 294.9 science. So unlocking some other experiments etc should get you close to 4-500.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nazattack posted:

Is there a way to remove all of the donate/update buttons that have slowly been worming their way into the game? Intersteller and the Toolbar mod are just getting annoying.

poo poo isn't it. It's bad enough with them plastered all over the mod forums and download pages but them appearing in game as well is taking the piss. Max, please lay the law down on this and keep the in game experience free of nagware.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

You are the best. Thanks. In a couple of posts you have yielded more information than I've been able to scrape from anywhere.

Also if you use separatrons be careful. They can cause the jettisoned stage to cartwheel back into the rocket under some conditions. In one of my active designs this happens with 6 or 8 of them. They cartwheel around, slam into some modular girders and make the whole rocket vibrate like a tuning fork.

You're welcome, it made me curious enough to fill in the gaps that I removed my old Unity/Mono setup, downloaded all the newer current versions and re-installed my dev tools. If you get stuck I have the whole step by step sequence now to set up a Unity/Mono environment for KSP.

With sepatrons you need to be aware that they need to be placed so that their thrust goes through the CoM of the part(s) you decoupled. So on a really big RSS rocket I tend to make a dummy section of tank/engine/whatever, empty the fuel, switch on the CoM and place sepatrons. When it's good, store it as a subassembly, reload the rocket and place them.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

I have 8 gigs of ram, and (without Interstellar) I still have about 2 gigs memory free while in midflight. What's going on?

What Geir said. To fix it, get this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-5-Release-3-1-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21 mod (the aggressive version). Problem solved but read the documentation - the first restart will take ages and look like it's died, just let it grind.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Maxmaps posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty big challenge but worth the effort. Not like, multiplayer big, but not something you can easily knock out of the way.

And as a double whammy you gain higher precision values with it, meaning less dodgy rounding errors and the space kraken eats fewer ships. On the downside the N-bodies people will moan louder if you have higher precision available ;)

Strudel Man posted:

Has anyone noticed a thing where a close flyby sometimes prevents you from setting up a maneuver before it happens?

I'm trying to return from Jool, and I've currently got a path by Kerbin which I somehow miraculously set up without TOO insane of a delta-v. I want to tweak it to slam into the atmosphere while I'm still a million miles away and tiny adjustments make for huge results. The blue line is my current path, and the purple is the continuing orbit after the pass. The problem is, I can't set up maneuver points on the blue, only on the purple. Is there a kick of any sort I can give to the game to let me plan this properly?

Tried zooming in and out? Sometimes if you play with the camera angle, view and zoom you can get the line you actually want. Otherwise if you're using mechjeb or precisenode you can create a node at an arbitrary time in the future. Once it exists you can drag it around.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

sckye posted:

You also might want to look into realism overhaul & realistic progression lite, having RSS on its own is a bit meh.

This. Don't try and roll it all on your own, go with one of the packages people have as there are a large number of settings to tweak to get it all to work properly. Realistic Progression lite is the best IMO and is very close to a fresh release (which I am quite looking forward to). 20 minute launch to orbit and you need 7400m/s orbital velocity.

RubberJohnny posted:

[redacted for space reasons]

You're missing one vital thing - you are surrounded by science on Kerbin. To quote myself from a few pages ago:

Ratzap posted:

One thing I'd point out to you about career mode is the amount of biomes near KSC. You can get a decent amount of early science to boost your initial designs by scraping them clean with cheesy pod+strut designs. Launchpad (yep, you can jump out and eva/sample there) and the runway are easiest to find but if you roll off the runway you will find another 2 - KSC is just off it and Shores is a little further. Join 2 pods end to end (or with box struts between) to roll straight off the runway.
Then there's water just a quick explosion away from the launchpad, a patch of tundra behind KSC along with grasslands, highlands and mountains.
You can find biome maps here: http://www.kerbalmaps.com/

Before you even go out of upper atmosphere you should have all tier 3 and some of t4 unlocked. You are quite right, new players are NOT expected to go to the Mun and back on the initial nodes. This is because they are supposed to get it on Kerbin but there is no tutorial for that. You also might want to try a mod called Stock rebalanced which deals with a lot of those antenna type problems: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75272-0-23-x-Stock-Rebalance-Project-v1-3-19-04-14

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Zaran posted:

I think it's the game messing up collision meshes, your best bet is to just rebuild the rocket from scratch, fixes the issue most of the time.

Or use the Engine mode of RCSBuildAid to see if your rocket is going to fly true in the VAB (pull the stages apart to see per stage). You'd be surprised at just how much torque one itty bitty box off to one side makes.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35996-0-23-x-RCS-Build-Aid-v0-4-6-ARM-patch-fixes

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

I had this problem - downloaded the latest build of mechjeb and it fixed it. Seemed to be related to the parts added by the latest update (the NASA boosters and whatnots)

There was also a bug where it would not consider stages above the current root node. I don't know if that one has been fixed yet.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wynand posted:

Ok so apparently i DID manage to install the RealFuels configs wrong before. Now the engines actually use them and have different (indeed, much better) stats. But I no longer see the auto-fill button:

As far as I can tell all I can do is work out the ratios myself based on the engine consumption info. What am I doing wrong now?

Just to chip in: this happens if the config for that tank does not specify that it can take what your engine needs, if the config is wrong (typos happen) or the engine isn't attached (so it doesn't know what to offer a preload for).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
MedivalNerd released RPL 19a yesterday so I grabbed it and started a new GameData - RPL needs a serious amount of mods and you want to keep it separate from 'normal' KSP stuff (currently 54 folders in my RPL GameData). Sadly he'd rushed it out to keep the baying fans happy so it was a bit of a bug squash for a while and it has some conflicting configs. I went to launch my first rocket and found KSC was in Florida and my RT2 command centre somewhere in the Andes. Being British I'm allowed to be a Euro when it suits me and at 5 degrees north, French Guiana suited me :) But there was no config for RSS to launch from there that I could find - one google and 3 hours of KSP restarts later I was in business. Until he releases a hotfix later in the week, RPL is just pottering around on Earth and low orbit but that's still plenty of fun. Someone made an Earth biome map for custom biomes and an 8k map of Earth which is simply stunning so I took some pretty pictures for you from my Vanguard 1 launch. 180km is the start of low space...

Once the hotfix is out and the documentation/install instructions are updated, give RPL a whirl if you're into realism.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

Hey, Ratzap,
I stole some time to do the Unity dance and do the PartTools thing. It seems to work and now has all these nice buttons for spawning stock resources like cockpit bits etc. in the window in the Unity editor.

All I can say is "now what?". Just point me in the right direction and I'll get started making a "Hello, World!" part to see if it hates me. Sorry about being demanding but I've wanted to mod KSP for so drat long but info on getting started seems to be hard to find at best.

I'm doing all this in Win8 for now. Once I get this sorted and know I can get things done, I'll tackle hard mode (Linux) to see how much can be done in it.

Excellent, I had hoped you'd got it going. I'll write you up an effort post for 'my first plugin' tomorrow - it's 1:30am here and I need some sleep.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Maxmaps posted:

I just make sure my altitude and speed match. 110 and 1000 meters, 120 at 2000, 130 at 3000, etc. Then at 10k I turn to 90 and then burn with everything I got. Disclaimer: Am scrub.

And you're not using FAR ;)

While you're here, are you (ie Squad) going to do something about third party mods advertising for 'Donations' in game? Toolbar and Interstellar are at it already. If they get away with it you can bet there will be a lot more soon. What's next after that? Mods start containing adverts for soap power unless you pony for ad free?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

Not a problem really. It was easy to get it set up. Thanks for the help. If you do end up throwing together some sort of basic plugin that'd be brilliant. Very helpful for myself and definitely others too. It's not the programming that bothers me. I have a lot of years behind me of that. It's just working out WTF is needed to get started.

Good, that makes it easier but I'll assume not much C#. I stripped down the main Fusebox code to a skeleton to show the basic required structure for you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71576136/KSP/Skeleton.cs

You probably only need the top 3 imports at the start but the others are useful once you actually start doing something. First off, name your namespace - this declares your code space scope. If you add more .cs files later, just add them to the same namespace.

Next up, the KSPAddon block. The Squad module sucks because it does not differentiate between your mod and say an MLP kerbal face mod which leads to only one getting loaded. This chunk hashes your module object and tags your KSPAddon with it as an ID. No more problems, everyone's mods load without crapping on each other.

public class Skeleton : MonoBehaviour - this declares your class object in such a way as to be Unity compatible (the MonoBehaviour part). Very important and so easy to miss if you go off random google C#.

I'll skip describing global declarations, I'm sure you know about that and we'll describe some of the more important (and used) overrides from Unity:

public void Awake() - called once and only once when your plugin is initialized (loaded)

public void Start() - called once and only once just before your code begins receiving events. See the link for the distinction between awake and start.
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.Start.html

private void OnApplicationQuit() - Called once as the program ends, save your config in here for example

public void Update() - called once per frame, frames can take variable amounts of time. You cannot do GUI things in here but you can run a timer, calculations etc

private void OnGUI() - called once per event, there can be a large amount of events per frame but this is the only code path which can run GUI commands. For example I was getting lag in my plugin when in the VAB. It turned out that each mouse movement = 1 event which meant when you try to turn the view around there's a flood of events. I ended up running a timer in Update to only allow the heavy calculations to be done 3 times a second but you have to run your GUI code for every event or you could lose input or your window disappears.

You can compare the skeleton to the file I trimmed it from here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71576136/KSP/Fusebox.cs

That's it really, the Unity3d documentation is not very detailed but it's complete. If you need any more help just shout.

Geirskogul posted:

Interstellar radiators don't work, and instead create heat, if interstellar detects that you have adblockers installed.

E: this is satire, but is it?

Life isn't far off it tbh. C# reflection lets you grub around in everything else running - that adblocker would not last long ;)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

TescoBag posted:

What altitude is considered high and low orbit for collecting science?

250km+ = high
69km to 249.9km = low

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

VanSandman posted:

Thank you!

This is a bit pie-in-the-sky but are you guys considering alternate launch locations ever? It would be pretty cool if you could choose to launch from, say, Duna in freeform mode.

Easy, build your own. With Blackjack. And Hookers!

In other words, there was a mod for that 3 versions ago, it works even better now if you care to take a shot at it.

Edit: unrelated but I just noticed a new MechJeb build - "Ascent AP can now schedule launches at interplanetary transfer windows."

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 23, 2014

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Okan170 posted:

I used to be able to alt-tab out of KSP and it'd run merrily in the background, but recently, on Windows, its been just holding when I tab out. I'm not sure if anything's changed, but I guess its a thing.

It's changed in 23.5 yeah because I used to do the same thing.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Amberskin posted:

[stuff about poor ole yeller]

Hold the waterworks mate, the green vermin are queuing up in droves to get in your flying deathtraps. They desire nothing less than to die messily for your temporary amusement. Hell they even come back from the grave to do it again for you!

Kill them, kill lots of them, drop them from orbit and watch the sad little puff of green smoke. Build your next rover with rocket assist and bigger wheels, drive faster and if it gets a bit ropy, slap the rockets on and have a think about it while you float back down. Or just watch them crash and send another, whatever seems most fun ;)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

Can't. Life support mod implemented. They'll just die and (eventually) respawn like very annoying zombies every time.

Use one of the crew manifest mods, you can select the crew on the pad and so on. Other than that I usually go with sending them to a space station. When they die and respawn, send them back with a restock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

Ratzap I have been saving your posts and untruncated links in a text file. I haven't been around much and need some time to have a good look at your last post properly. So it wasn't wasted effort I swear!

All this recent talk of spaceplanes made me flip over to sandbox recently to quickly slap one together with love and care.

My contribution:

...why are you crying?

That's cool, it helped me clarify the differences between some of the methods by trying to explain to someone else so it's all good. Sexy plane you got there but it could use external seats for lucky passengers.
I made a plane a couple of days ago and only remembered I was playing real sized earth when I launched it. "This isn't going very fast" I thought to myself then remembered everything is 10x bigger.
So then I hopped on the bandwagon and built an Ion exploiter

Note the nifty, patented rotating solar panels! Power whether I'm heading toward the Sun or at a tangent to it.

• Locked thread