Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
Yeah, a 1-way wait on the 5p is kind of improbable, though this early in the game there's a lot of time to potentially ron someone's discard. If a pon or chii comes up and I win off it (not ron obviously cuz I won't have called riichi), is it now considered open even if I won off of it?

And nope, this online version doesn't tell you or hint at what's okay to discard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Parpy posted:

Yeah, a 1-way wait on the 5p is kind of improbable, though this early in the game there's a lot of time to potentially ron someone's discard. If a pon or chii comes up and I win off it (not ron obviously cuz I won't have called riichi), is it now considered open even if I won off of it?

And nope, this online version doesn't tell you or hint at what's okay to discard.

I think you might be misunderstanding a few things, or just using terms strangely. Winning off someone else's discard is what a ron is; I don't know what you mean by winning off pon or chi. In this case you don't need to call riichi to be able to win since your hand already has a yaku, though it increases the value of your hand since riichi is also a yaku. Winning off a ron when you have a closed hand doesn't open up your hand.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
I think this whole time I've mistakenly thought that I could only ron (and direct hit and see the ura-dora) only after declaring riichi. But it makes sense that winning off a discard is just that.

I've got a lot of learning to do.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Actually, the ura dora are only revealed if you declare riichi, so you were right on that point, which is an excellent reason to be doing it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh hey, a mahjong thread! I love riichi, even if it's kind of a dumb, long-rear end game about making the least mistakes most of the time. I should come play with you.

Since there was a bit of talk about it, let's talk about pinfu. It's a wonderful yaku, since it combos so well with other yaku, and the number of different tiles makes it a bit likelier to score a surprise ura-dora. The short definition is this: It's a hand with no points. Riichi scoring is sort of arcane, so for beginners, that means:
  1. It's all sequences (chi), no triples (kan).
  2. Your winning tile finishes a sequence, not the pair.
  3. You must be waiting for at least two different winning tiles. This is called a two-sided wait. For example, you could be waiting a 2 or a 5 to finish a 34-sequence.
    • In other words, no pair waits, middle waits (you've got a 1 and a 3 and are waiting on a 2) or edge waits (you're sitting with 12 and waiting for the 3).
  4. The pair must not be dragons, the round wind or your seat wind. If you could score a yaku with it, it's out.
  5. Oh, and your hand must be closed.
I think it's one of the most important yaku to know, because it really opens up the scoring potential in a hand. Grabbing scrubby yaku-pai hands is easy enough, but like Stelas said, it really shits on your score. An important thing to remember about riichi is that it's a zero-sum game: If you only play tiny thousand-point hands, it's really easy for people to make a comeback and overtake you in a single round.

In Finland people generally play according to the European Mahjong Association rules, and their rulebook is pretty good a reference. Granted, they don't play with things like open tanyao or red fives.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I only just noticed the lobby link in the first post. Is it still active? If so, what sort of times? I should probably quit gettin' mad at my ranking points and just chill out.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Nothing special here, I'm really just aiming for tanyao and maybe a pinfu (why I don't want to ditch the 2-3 sou; there's still one bird and four 4-sou out there this early in the game)

What would you discard here? I'm not experienced enough to judge the likelihood of one thing panning out over the other. I'm leaning towards ditching a 5-man in this instance. Does that sound about right? 4-pins allow for potential additional dora and lots of easy waits on either end, so I'm not inclined to discard one.

Aaaaaaaa!

e: I got this response elsewhere

quote:

Standard is 2m or 5m, with 2m favored because by keeping 5m, 36m turn the manzu into an iipeiko.

Typically, shapes with no decided pair tend to be very effective in reaching tenpai. By discarding 2m, 234567p1234s all bring you to tenpai. If you keep 2m, only 25m25p or something equivalent brings you to tenpai.

The only risk of shapes like this is the case of being left with a plain tanki wait. However, this is only the issue with a pinfu-only two lone ryanmen shape. This isn't one because it has
1. tanyao
2. dora
3. pinzu form multi-way pair waits

Seeing that thought process laid out - the combination of game knowledge, evaluating odds and logic - that's really what has me most excited about learning this game. Goddamn this game is cool.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 14, 2014

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Started playing again. East-only wind in Tenhou. Draw on the first hand (3 of us in tenpai), triple ron on the second (on the guy who wasn't tenpai the last hand), then I went into negatives on the 4th hand. Yeah I need to relearn the game.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
So I've been teaching people how to play, with varying amounts of success. I do have a question for those that already play: is it okay to first start without teaching Yaku, and then gradually introduce Yaku into the mix once they get enough experience?

It's the style I've been teaching with but it also leaves me wondering about how well I'm teaching them. I worry that I might be giving the wrong impression; that is, that calling tiles is always advantageous (especially without Yaku).

I also tend to avoid talking about 7 Pairs and 13 Orphans until they get quite a few games in, barring the one time I taught a Russian guy and he started his hand tenpai for chitoitsu (I wasn't playing that game).

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
That's pretty much how I teach. Learning yakus and what the gently caress they actually are was one of the most difficult things for me in learning mahjong and I didn't understand it until I had a bit of experience and feel for the game. Even then it's good to start from a few basic yaku and then go from there on the principle of most other yakus being special cases or combinations of those few basic yaku.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I've spent the evening playing the (probably most horribly-translated and misinterpreted version of) mahjong. I'm not sure which version it was, but we had the standard suits, winds, and dragons. Flowers and seasons were included, but we left them out as they didn't do anything beyond add score for luck. Scoring was 2/4 for open/closed minor pung, 4/8 for open/closed major. Double that for a kong, bugger all for a chow, 20 for calling mahjong, slap on some doublers. I don't know if that's helpful or not for identifying the version we were playing, sorry!

Mainly what struck me was the sense that I was missing something, strategy-wise. Like, don't discard what other people are waiting for if you can help it, and... that seemed to be about it for the strategy. Am I missing something, or is it that simple? The OP mentions Japanese rules for more strategy, but the guy who owns the set is still struggling to remember that a run can only be three long JESUS DUDE :rant:, so I'm guessing trying to teach Yaku would be nightmarish.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

petrol blue posted:

Am I missing something, or is it that simple? The OP mentions Japanese rules for more strategy

Pretty much this. In Japanese rules you can only win once you've satisfied certain conditions or made certain hands, and you absolutely can't win if you're waiting on a tile you discarded earlier in the round. So by looking at people's discards you can see much more about what tiles they want, what tiles are safe, and what hands they might be making.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Stelas posted:

and you absolutely can't win if you're waiting on a tile you discarded earlier in the round

You can still draw it yourself! :eng101:

But yeah, being furiten sucks, don't do it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Any good iOS ways to play Mahjong?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Sorry for the double post, does anyone here have any experience with Mahjong Time?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Two questions:

- Does anyone have any actually intelligible rules for Mhing? I got my mom a deck of mahjong paper cards for Christmas, and while trying to figure out a 2-player Mahjong a lot of sites recommended Mhing as a better variant for two people. It just seems that a large number of the rules available online are written in pretty spotty English and really unclear, though I think I've finally tracked down on BoardGameGeek the score sheets that explain all the weird bonus hands: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1452/mhing

- I know they're not directly related, but is there much overlap between Mahjong enthusiasts and Hanafuda enthusiasts? I tried playing Hanafuda last night, and it seemed somewhat reminiscent, with the matching sets, and the "yaku" special sets and all. The typical hanafuda deck is kinda fat since they use mini-type cards, but for $8 on Amazon I got a Hawaiian deck, where the box and the cards are standard US poker sizes, which I find easier to handle. Pretty cool game if you like match-forming games.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
rename thread Games > Traditional Games > Mahjog: Fanpai Noticed Me, teehee~

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ok so when the hell should I be calling Pon/Chi/Kan in riichi mahjong? I keep playing using the single-player flash mahjong game and most times when I do, I end up loving myself since I lose the closed hand and/or riichi yakus which usually means I have an invalid hand unless I'm also going for no terminals/honors which tends to break my hand. About the only time it's worthwhile is when I can score a pon/kan of dragons/winds since those are usually a yaku in themselves.

Do I just need to get better at memorizing other yakus and make sure I'm working towards them too?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
You definitely should not be opening your hand unless you have a specific yaku in mind.

You probably should not be opening your hand unless the end result you have in mind is either big xor fast, although the definition of "big" and "fast" can vary based on the situation.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Opening your hand is an insanely important decision, and realizing that is your first and most critical step when learning how to play Mahjong. Heck, the name of the game is Riichi and you can't even call a riichi unless your hand is closed, that's how big a deal the decision to open your hand is.

And you're right on, that's mostly going to come from remembering yaku and analyzing how likely/quickly you'll be able to achieve them, and how close you think other people are to finishing theirs.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think two good rules of thumb for beginning players are 1) don't open your hand and 2) go for a pinfu because it's the best yaku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I found some excellent Mahjong software that I've been using recently. It's called Four Winds Mahjong and its has a ton of different rule sets, which it explains both on their website, or if not there then in the software itself. I find it helpful to experiment with different rule sets. The software purports multiplayer but I've never gotten a multiplayer game going, but that hasn't been a problem. The UI is best if you use an integrated board meaning the tiles will lay out like a regular game, and it helps to know you can click after a discard to move to the next tile, but otherwise it's pretty intuitive. It's priced as 30EUR but is readily available for NA purchase. Even if you solely want to play Richii mahjong it's a great investment. It even has the option to list the hand patterns beside the game board for beginners or people like me who are experimenting with rulesets.

• Locked thread