Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Pwopah football going on this month. No international breaks, there are also some cup games somewhere along the line? Anyway, have a table.

(well jel at that Liverpool form, phwoar)

Have some fixtures to rub your thighs at and lick your lips to. Crunch your numbers, there's a 100% chance of a ball being kicked around.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/fixtures

Questions to ask yourself this month in football:

- Will Arsene walk?
- Will United remember how to win consecutive matches again?
- Will Jozy score against Chelsea (april 20th) again?
- Big Sam in?
- Will Sherwood succesfully defend his hardcore championship?
- Hull City? *flips over logo* Hull Tigers?
- Should the Premier League be afraid that clubs like Barcelona are getting called out on importing their talents?
- Who, exactly, were the Fully Sick XI this season?
-

Friedrich Nietzsche posted:

Football is dead

belgend fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

When is big Kim getting kalled up?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Stoke are a pwoppa nawty side and will smash some legs on the way to another month undefeated.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Big Sam out

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Channelling the spirit of Andy Johnson for Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWqvF8Juss0&t=34s

I'm on the front row of the Gwladys near the goal going absolutely mental

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Michael Owen's England World Cup squad

No Rodriguez, Henderson or Lallana?

Defoe?!

Butland?!

Zaha?!

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

It's a amazing that a football superpower like england only has one competent goalkeeper and garbagemen like Townsend and Zaha in contention for a place in the squad for the world cup.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Ewar Woowar posted:

Michael Owen's England World Cup squad

No Rodriguez, Henderson or Lallana?

Defoe?!

Butland?!

Zaha?!

Cole over Shaw too :lol:

Townsend needs to gently caress off as well. He had one good game

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hasn't Zaha been poo poo/not played for whoever signed him on loan?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Jose posted:

Hasn't Zaha been poo poo/not played for whoever signed him on loan?

He's literally played 9 games all season. Most as a sub

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

euroboy posted:

It's a amazing that a football superpower like england only has one competent goalkeeper and garbagemen like Townsend and Zaha in contention for a place in the squad for the world cup.

Zaha and Townsend are only in contention in Michael Owen's mind

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Butland is competent but he isn't good enough to compete with Begovic, but really no keeper in the league is. He is probably the third best english keeper though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Blue Screen Error posted:

Townsend will go but probably barely play because of the 1 good game he had being important for England going to the world cup

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Hodgson should unironically give Ricky Lambert a place On The Plane.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

euroboy posted:

It's a amazing that a football superpower like england only has one competent goalkeeper

I'm not actually sure which one you're referring to here.

We've got quite a lot of second rate keepers tbh, provided the Big Two don't die horribly it's not a big deal. Foster, Ruddy, Carson are all good enough to be in the squad and not embarrass us. Younger players we've got a few who are rated reasonably but aren't playing top flight yet. Rudd, Butland, Steele, McCarthy.

Hell I'd go with Forster over Hart. Everyone knows Forster becomes magic as soon as he realises people might actually watch.

Townsend will go and I'll tell everyone I'm Irish and bitch about terry henry.

euroboy posted:

Hodgson should unironically give Ricky Lambert a place On The Plane.

He's our second best striker and that's not even a bad thing, he's adapted to the league wonderfully. He won't go because sometimes he plays nice passes and he's not allowed to do that as a Big Lad so it'll be Carroll or Crouchy if Andy's drunk again.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Sturridge
Sterling-Rooney-Lallana
Gerrard-Henderson
Baines-Cahill-Jagielka-Johnson
Hart

That's the team for me.

As for Shaw/Cole I'd hope they take the former. In no way does Cole deserve to be first choice and Shaw is absolutely incredible for his age and deserves the call up.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Sturridge
Sterling-Rooney-Lallana
Gerrard-Henderson
Hart

That's the team for me.

As for Shaw/Cole I'd hope they take the former. In no way does Cole deserve to be first choice and Shaw is absolutely incredible for his age and deserves the call up.

Lallana plays a free role and I'd genuinely drop Rooney for him right now. Hell, Barkley starts over Rooney on form.

But definitely Sterling on the right ffs, you want him linking up with Johnson since they train together all year.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ewar Woowar posted:

Sturridge
Sterling-Rooney-Lallana
Gerrard-Henderson
Hart

That's the team for me.

I would play carrick over Henderson personally and Shawcross over Jagielka but the Shawcross ship seems to have sailed now.

I am pretty sure if Shaw goes he will either be ruined or another Walcott. 17 is too young to be playing in a senior tournament.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Is there any chance of Walcott recovering in time?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Spangly A posted:

Lallana plays a free role and I'd genuinely drop Rooney for him right now. Hell, Barkley starts over Rooney on form.

But definitely Sterling on the right ffs, you want him linking up with Johnson since they train together all year.

The idea would be that the front four would shift around a lot. Basically play in the same shape as Liverpool have with Rooney doing the Suarez role and Lallana the Coutinho role.

Honestly could see that team doing well. All of those players are in form, all have huge work rates, none are played out of position, and they'd mostly be playing in a system they're used to.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

I would play carrick over Henderson personally and Shawcross over Jagielka but the Shawcross ship seems to have sailed now.

I am pretty sure if Shaw goes he will either be ruined or another Walcott. 17 is too young to be playing in a senior tournament.

Carrick?! Good god no. Henderson is the perfect partner for Gerrard as he A. Plays alongside him every week and B. Does the running Gerrard can't. Carrick is immobile and offers nothing more than what Henderson and Gerrard provide. United fans will tell you how disappointing Carrick has been this season

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Is there any chance of Walcott recovering in time?

Don't think so sadly. Wilshere will probably go for better or worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rodriguez plays on the left for Southampton right? Surely it should be him starting for England with Sterling on the right. Unfortunately even though he's the second highest scoring England player this season he won't because he'll be seen as a striker instead of a winger or whatever and Townsend will go lol

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

Rodriguez plays on the left for Southampton right? Surely it should be him starting for England with Sterling on the right. Unfortunately even though he's the second highest scoring England player this season he won't because he'll be seen as a striker instead of a winger or whatever and Townsend will go lol

He should definitely be on the plane. He's far more versatile than Townsend, is in form and, most importantly, is good at football.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I know southampton fans here and the token one I know in real life have been arguing that he's inconsistent and his finishing needs a lot of work as an argument against him, but then you remember the alternative is Townsend so he'd better loving start.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ewar Woowar posted:

Carrick?! Good god no. Henderson is the perfect partner for Gerrard as he A. Plays alongside him every week and B. Does the running Gerrard can't. Carrick is immobile and offers nothing more than what Henderson and Gerrard provide. United fans will tell you how disappointing Carrick has been this season

I know Gerrard has had this resurgence as a holding mid at Liverpool under rodgers but I am absolutely certain the moment he pulls on an England shirt he will be holywood look at me england gerrard.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Byolante posted:

I know Gerrard has had this resurgence as a holding mid at Liverpool under rodgers but I am absolutely certain the moment he pulls on an England shirt he will be holywood look at me england gerrard.

Carrick is beyond gash this year though. If Gerrard is dropped and his replacement isn't Noble it's objectively wrong, the lad has been dominant for two years in a fairly poo poo side and probably does the Gerrard role better than Gerrard. He has the passing range and is more mobile with better tackling these days. He's also a great set piece taker. I'd have Gerrard over him in the starting lineup because of the link with the rest of the Liverpool And Friends XI, not form. Barry would be next. Then you're looking at Thudd and then Cork if he stays in form and fit. Carrick wouldn't even get in the England B squad right now.

AJ and Davies are good shouts for a squad callup too but noooooobody cares.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Ramsey is back in full training today :getin: He won't play against Everton but will probably be available for the semi final next weekend. The same for Koscielny, they won't rush him back early for this weekend. Özil will most likely be available for West Ham on the 15th, so hopefully the whole squad except Wilshere and Walcott will be available for the run-in.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Just going to say Crouchy shouldn't go because he would be a wasted slot. He only started playing well after Odemwingie arrived and Pieters/Marko got their thing happening. I stongly doubt the conditions he would need to do a thing would be present in the england squad. If Sterling, Sturridge and Rooney can't get the job done up front there is no hope for England at all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sturridge plus 3 from Lallana, Rooney, Sterling, Barkley is a great front 4 no matter what way you cut it imo. England are in a good place for attacking options right now.

BSE how does Redmond look for Norwich these days? Often on MotD he looks really good because he's the only Norwich player who does anything going forward.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lets just hope Hodgson plays Sturridge in the middle instead of on the right because he was pretty poo poo against Denmark or whoever we last played until he got moved

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

Gerrard has been England's best player for some time now. It's not just Liverpool supporters saying this. Not only that but he's arguably been one of the best midfielders in Premier League this season- certainly stats wise. You'll never admit this as you hate Liverpool but most sane people know that Gerrard is there on merit rather than reputation.

Also here are some fun stats for you.

Stoke totally changing the style of their play under Hughes...

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Spangly A posted:

AJ and Davies are good shouts for a squad callup too but noooooobody cares.

Andy Johnson and Kevin Davies are past it mate

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What happened to that thread where yis were able to post pages and pages of fantasy England line-ups, none of which would ever win a major honour anyway

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Barkley's not good/consistent enough yet to be a starter. Putting him in the same list as Rooney and Lallana is a bit unfair to the lad.

Routledge on the left, come on you know it's the right answer.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

St Evan Echoes posted:

BSE how does Redmond look for Norwich these days? Often on MotD he looks really good because he's the only Norwich player who does anything going forward.

Better than Zaha and Townsend have been this year but not good enough for England. He can skin people all day long but then just shanks it into the stands. He tends to play better for England u21s than us because they use him on the right where he has to cross it instead of cutting inside.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Barkley's not good/consistent enough yet to be a starter. Putting him in the same list as Rooney and Lallana is a bit unfair to the lad.

Routledge on the left, come on you know it's the right answer.

Has Routledge learned how to deliver a final ball or pass yet?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think Aston Villa could do with three more points to ensure BPL survival. Not that I'm really concerned because the bottom three is going to stay as it is. We've got Fulham next which we really should win, but they spanked us earlier this season because we're inconsistent as gently caress. Paul Lambert's cacky & poo army.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

There are far too many managers insistent on putting completely one footed wingers on the opposite wings. It makes them so loving easy to mark out of the game as it's obvious what they're going to do all the time.

How professional footballers can be so one footed amazes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Agreed. Sturridge, Sterling, Rooney, Lallana for me

• Locked thread