Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Baldo Di Gregorio posted:

I almost feel like this could be a fun thread, The Most Unintelligible Footballers of All Time. For me it's Anthony Gerrard, that the thickest scouse accent I've ever heard

When he was interviewed ahead of the League Cup final I had to watch the thing multiple times just to get a general idea of what he was talking about. Incredible that he's considered an English speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I don't think Arsenal are going to lose out on 4th place just because Everton have a tougher run-in, namely having to play City. That being said, it's entirely possible that they'll lose to Wigan, too. Fortunately Ramsey is back so hopefully he and Chamberlain are both played because Rosicky looked tired today and those two gave the team more attacking threat.

The Arsenal board has said it's entirely up to Wenger whether he stays or not, but I really think it's time to go. I love Wenger, I really do, he's had some terrific times at the club and lead them to a feat that may never be equaled (going undefeated in a season), but he refuses to adapt anymore and that's killing the team. You can get away with it if you have the quality of players like Bayern or Barca, but Arsenal don't so when the team isn't clicking they're way too predictable. I really like Klopp, but I think he may have the same problem of having no Plan B. I wonder if they could prise Conte away from Juve.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

not not luvd posted:

Chelsea presumably.

Off topic but they'll win the league comfortably next year IMO.

Assuming Pellegrini doesn't keep relying on Demichelis and can keep City motivated against the relegation fodder.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

There's not really another option: Nastasic isn't going to play again this season and Lescott's even more of a liability than Demichelis.

We were talking next season wherein Nastasic is healthy and they sign another CB as cover, essentially making Demichelis 4th choice (and Garcia 5th).

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

While I don't really like Cazorla's comments, it's really sounding like a repeat of previous starters who are tired of the squad getting thinned out by injury and not having more quality players in the side. I really like Cazorla, he's a ridiculously talented player, but with the amount of time he's been played and the squad availability lately of course he's going to look like poo poo. It's akin to putting Messi in Pulis' Stoke team and expecting the same return as Barca.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Cazorla is hardly a luxury player. He may not run himself into the ground as much as Rosicky but he does work defensively, much more than Podolski that's for sure. He didn't go about it well, but he's entirely right.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Jose posted:

lol how wrong can you be

No, you're right, just because he nicks the ball from behind players all the time instead of getting stuck in means he's the worst defensive attacker of all time. Get the gently caress out of here.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Arsenal could have won the league if all their players didn't break in half at the most vital moment. Having Ramsey, Walcott, Wilshere, Chamberlain, and Ozil playing through the entire season wouldn't have lead to the collapse we're seeing

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

It's really hard to say how much Arsenal as a club are at fault for not keeping their best players. That is to say, as players get nearer to the ends of their contracts there's only so much the club can do to get them to sign new contracts. The answer isn't to offer them 150k/w contracts because that will get out of control quick without the backing of oil money, but more likely that signings ought to be made to show the rest of the team that there is ambition. As players run their contract down to their last season the situation quickly forces the club's hand to sell, lest they lose out on millions of dollars that could be used to reinforce the squad with players who want to play for the club.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Yeah, I've seen it reported in a bunch if places that Napoli were going to keep going for Higuain and that Arsenal were going to have to pay a ton for him. But what was really disappointing about that transfer is that it seemed like we were in for him for a long time before Napoli got involved. I got the feeling that we could have got him at a good price if we had moved quickly.

It's going to be absolutely amazing when we buy a 21 year old for 8m this summe.

It's weird how quickly deals can be hashed out in the dying hours of the transfer window yet they can also go on for an entire window. Of course the earlier that an offer is made the more the selling club can stall and try to start a bidding war, but at times you'd have to think that the buying club could pressure them into a quicker deal, too. If Wenger stays on I fully expect another attacking midfielder and a few kids to be signed, plus the customary last-minute panic bid for a squad player that will never even make the bench.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Headhunter posted:

That's how I feel about it. Given that the other choices for potential champions are City and Chelsea, Liverpool winning is the least disagreeable option. It would be pretty cool to have both Merseyside teams competing again. The 80s was a magical time for football.

I want City to win it mainly because they're the least unlikeable of the three, and they're expected to win it anyway. I really don't want Chelsea to win mainly because of Mourinho's stupid "mind games" and the less I see his :smuggo: face the better. Also, I just really don't like Liverpool right now, and I always enjoy seeing them come up short.

Also, I hope Chelsea draw Munich in the CL so Pep can beat Mourinho again and make him bitch and moan about it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

If anything Abramovich should foot the entire fine for failing to properly bribe Foy.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 10, 2014

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Did Andre Marriner write that article?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

The big test for Liverpool will be whether they can qualify for the Champions League in consecutive seasons. Rodgers can set up tactically well with a refreshed team that's only playing once a week, but it remains to be seen if he can consistently get the best out of them with a CL campaign thrown in there.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

SAF has come out and said that Giggs deserves to be given the full time manager job.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/26/alex-ferguson-ryan-giggs-manchester-united-manager

This is going to amazing.

I hope they keep the Chosen One banner up and just tape a big picture of Giggs over Moyes now.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

euroboy posted:

Sagna has apparently signed a 4 year contract with Fenerbache

At least he isn't going to City :smith:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

You're over-estimating the number of people who would care about that versus the number of people who'd see a club legend unceremoniously dumped after bravely stepping up in a time of need.

As much as it may pain them to do so, they should follow Liverpool's suit and make Giggs an ambassador like with Dalglish. There's a very slight chance they could catch lightning in a bottle and Giggs could go on to be a successful manager for them, but the odds are heavily against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I hope Rooney throws a fit and leaves for Chelsea only to become Torres 2.0

• Locked thread