Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Spangly A posted:

I love that people seem to think Chelsea have enough money to completely poo poo on Lukaku by playing loving Torres, get rid, and then assume they can snap their fingers and he'll come back no questions asked.

I do not love that Chelsea think this too and it's almost entirely true, with the only question being "how much?"

I don't know Lukaku personally, but I would guess he appreciates that Chelsea granted his request to go out on loan and doesn't consider it a slight.

Though the club did gently caress him over his first season when they played him and then realized that meant he couldn't go out on loan.

But I think there's very little chance of Lukaku throwing a strop prior to reporting back from World Cup duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Good looking young goalie who doesn't need a helmet versus an average looking older chump with a fragile skull? There's no contest. Time for Cech to go to Italy.

I want to bring Courtois back this summer, but it sounds like hes gonna go on loan another year.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Could it be Elton Monteiro ?

Wiki says hes playing at Club Brugge, but he doesn't have a wiki page, and isn't on the Club Brugge website as a first team player or a U21 player.

edit:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

belgend posted:

I'm fairly certain it's not Elton Monteiro, as he was like, 9 when Ronaldo left for United.

Unless he was lying about his age...

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

That's like 3 pages in a row of Arsenal fans blatantly plagiarizing me without citation.

Mods please do something.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

I think Liverpool will struggle to defend their title, but I wouldn't write them off

Yeah but who is going to take the title of most racist from them?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Someone needs to make a tony pulis boom bust cycle.jpg where it starts with no one wanting him to take over at their club because he's a hoofball merchant, then they love him when he steadies the ship, are happy when he buys a technical player in between the 8 CBs and 5 targetmen, and then want him out when they realize the football is poo poo and the team isnt progressing

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Micah Richards is all but off. We spoke about it recently here and it ain't unexpected, but man is it still :smith: to read.

I always rated Richards. I think he could do a job at any of the top premier league sides.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

So this is from goal.com, but there are quotes, so:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/04/09/4741008/cazorla-open-to-arsenal-exit-we-lack-a-winning-mentality

I hope it's made up? Can't believe he said this during the season.

He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

Maybe Cazorla as a player/manager next season would give Arsenal the boost they need.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I really think Arsenal's failure to keep their top players was much more damaging than their lack of spending in the transfer market. I think all of the clubs around them were better able to hold onto their important players for longer.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Not to be pedantic and bring up this argument again but winning trophies helps you keep your better players.

Yeah but Everton were able to hold onto Distin, Fellaini, Cahill, Baines, Jagielka and Howard for longer and under more financial pressure. Villa were able to hold onto Milner for 2 quality seasons, and Young and Barry for a long time despite them getting linked to a host of clubs. Spurs kept Bale for 3 good seasons. Liverpool kept Gerrard, Carragher and Reina despite some awful ownership and some dark times. Even Newcastle got 2 and a half good seasons out of Cabaye.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

I can't understand why neutrals want the oil clubs to win the league over Liverpool. Liverpool are easily the most likeable of the title contenders.

maybe they really hate stock broker clubs

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Is it too late for Suqit to cancel his paypal donation and send the money to Jose?

I think we can all agree it's what GOM would've wanted.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

The best result for Chelsea is probably a draw between City and Liverpool, tho that still leaves Chelsea needing to win at Anfield to draw even on points with Liverpool. Not looking good for the chels.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

quote:

Sherwood was asked how Lamela's English was coming on.

"Qué?" he replied.

He knows hes getting sacked.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Do supporters of other historically successful clubs have really high expectations too or is it just Newcastle fans?

Do Wolves, Blackburn, Leeds and Forest supporters think they deserve to be in Europe?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

when were newcastle successful

idk, the 90s maybe?

It just seems like your average Newcastle supporter's expectations are so far out of line with reality that they are close to surpassing England fans for the title of most unrealistic supporters.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

What are you basing this on, exactly?

The protests against Mike Ashley, the complaints about Pardew, people bitching about selling Cabaye and Carroll, etc.

Maybe the whining is louder because the club looked to be on the up when they got promoted but have stalled.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Do you purposely misrepresent information or are you just not able to parse it all fully?

Do I go down to the posting docks and knock the sailor's cocks out of your mouth?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Smeef posted:

Seems like you've been saving up that retort for some time. I regret to inform you that you've employed it in the wrong situation.

no i made it up on the spot.

Maybe my mistake was posting about newcastle fans when there wasn't something going on for them to complain about. I should've mentioned it after the winter transfer window ended as they seemed very upset that Ashley wouldn't pay a premium to sign a Cabaye replacement so Newcastle could finish 8th instead of 10th.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

The idea that there's no value in the Winter window is a myth, for example Liverpool signed this season's 2nd top scorer in the Winter window for just over a fifth what Fernando Torres cost.

Also there's a (probably fairly small) financial difference between finishing 8th and 10th.

There is definitely value in January, but this year was rather bleak. I can't even think of a player who moved whom they could've signed.

It just seems odd to me that the club 2 points above Newcastle is Soton, who are everyone's darlings, and Stoke, where Mark Hughes is getting tons of positive press. But you headbutt one Hull player...

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

It would be pretty cool if both Man City and Man Utd missed out on the CL next year.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

anyone but city and liverpool imho

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Duncan Sperguson posted:

Remember when you bet me that Arsenal would finish within 2 points of Liverpool? haha wk4f

City falling apart against Liverpool and Everton collapsing a week too late hosed me over.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Don't really understand how non-Chelsea fans would prefer Mourinho to win the league over Brendan Rodgers and his plucky underdogs Liverpool tbqh

Reminder that Liverpool purposely bought and boarded up houses around Anfield to drive the area into poverty so the club could expand the stadium as cheaply as possible.

Of course other owners like Roman and the Sheikh have done worse things on their own.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Jose posted:

He's spent near £40m in 2 seasons. He could have got better players for it

True, but I think the ownership is making him buy really young players. His summer purchases are 24, 24, 21, 22, 22, 23, and 21. Understandable that some wouldn't work out, and that others would take some time to develop.

Also Villa have been unlucky with injuries.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

TelekineticBear! posted:

Sack the entire club, its rotten to the core anyway

Yes but have you seen the commercial revenues?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'm just happy I don't have to hear that annoying-as-gently caress Moyes chant anymore, you know the one.

Don't get ahead of yourself, Wenger might be appointed and we will get to hear "come on and feel the boys"

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I've heard that Florentino told Carlo he's gone unless Madrid win the decimoprimero this season.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

tbp posted:

Haha nice, personally I think the large amount that is slightly larger than whatever the previous guy posted is too much

look at this idiot who believes the red tops, it's clearly a much smaller amount than the previous guy posted

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

TelekineticBear! posted:

1. He's played for Manchester United aka the worlds biggest team of cunts for 20 years
2. He's been overrated his entire career
3. He's a terrible petulant oval office on the pitch and is the first person to get in the refs face
4. He literally won the PFA Player of the year and bbc sports personality based on the fact hes an old loving man
5. He hosed his brothers wife then tried to gag the press about it
6. He never gave a single gently caress about playing for his national team
7. He's held up a model professional despite the way he behaves on the pitch due to the man united media bias
8. His recent actions with moyes

Yeah but I think he really deserves a premier league winner's medal.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

This isn't some first round League Cup match, this is a game that could help you win the title. Fielding a weakened side would be such a pathetic thing to do given the resources Chelsea have.

Mourinho mind games his own fans into thinking he's a far better manager than he is.

Managers field weakened teams before big matches all the time. And there's no point in pretending Chelsea can win the league, the title is between City and Liverpool. Liverpool aren't going to drop points to 2 sides with nothing to play for.

And regardless of mind games, Mourinho is one of the greatest managers of all time, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

hadji murad posted:

If Azpillicueta is getting a raise to 70k signing Shaw for 100k is a sucka move anyway you look at it.

I still want Shaw. £100k for Shaw isn't crazy in a world where Rooney is making like £300k a week. Plus Chelsea really need some more home grown players or else they are not going to be able to register everyone.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

SAF has come out and said that Giggs deserves to be given the full time manager job.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/26/alex-ferguson-ryan-giggs-manchester-united-manager

This is going to amazing.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Duncan Sperguson posted:

In order to bottle something you usually have to be the outright favourites.

Not at all, see Arsenal for example.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

manchego posted:

In fairness to Liverpool, Gerrard's stumble changed the entire dynamic of the game. I don't think it would be deluded to think that Liverpool could have eventually broken Chelsea's defensive down/drawn a penalty. As others have already said, the game got away from them more because they lost their nerve than Chelsea parking the bus. Liverpool were desperate to make up for Gerrard's error.

I remember Liverpool being maddeningly inept with their distribution as they approached Chelsea's goal. How many times in the first half did we see them surge forward with a ton of promise only to be completely let down by an awful final pass.

I can understand being bitterly disappointed by yesterday's result, as Chelsea were absolutely abysmal in their attack.

Liverpool didn't have a chance. This wasn't Chelsea vs Barca where Chelsea were on the ropes. This was Arsenal making pretty triangles 30 yards from goal.

Chelsea probably had the 4 best chances of the match. The free header to Kalas, the Flanagan handball, the Gerrard slip and the 2 v 1 at the end.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

tarbrush posted:

We had 75% of the ball for the first 40 minutes or so, but the goal changed everything.

poo poo, 75% of the ball for the first 40 minutes? I'm surprised you weren't just awarded the 3 points right then and there.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Don't be wilfully dense, tarbrush was just saying that Liverpool actually were playing Barca-lite tippy-tappy which could well have ended in a boring 0-0 if not for Gerrard's slip.

My mistake, I thought he was saying they were dominating.

But they weren't playing keep away either, they were trying to attack and Chelsea were sitting extra deep to try to prevent them from getting an early goal.

I don't think Rodgers could've started out any other way though, if they had played more cautiously it just would've made the crowd anxious.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Raffles posted:

I don't think there has been a less ambitious player than Steven Gerrard since Winston Bogarde.

Bogarde's other options were the dutch league or a poo poo team in La Liga, Gerrard had much better options, so I think Gerrard takes the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

There are better managers available than Sherwood, so there's no reason for Spurs to stick with him.

• Locked thread