Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Negative Entropy posted:

Demographic change as Millennials and minorities grab a larger share of the electorate, which could shift the Overton window. But not before this decade closes with possibly majority GOP in both houses and another Clinton, like we all time warped to 1994.

I think there were jobs in the 1994. I might be for this. Rap was still good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I hear too much focus on demographic shifts as well when, really, the shift could happen much more visibly now if the impetus and outreach were active and not just waiting for that mystical time to come.

I also hear far too often that "both parties are becoming more extreme/polarized" from people with a straight face when I can't imagine in my most hopeful of dreams that being the case for Democrats at all, and I know this is just preaching to the converted here. Wanting to cut food stamps, just less than Republicans, is the most obvious instance. There's no expansion of abortion access or even a remotely comparable counter current to the death by a thousand cuts being implemented by republican legislatures across the country. Gay marriage, the one seeming social victory in sight, had a tepid as gently caress executive endorsement and really only after the tide was already moving in its favor in public opinion/judicially and it was only because of Biden's outspokenness that necessitated Obama to speak up in turn. Not wanting the economy to explode and the government to shut down from not raising the debt ceiling is basically communism, clearly. Democrats have a monopoly on the center and if that's what people are considering the extreme left at this point I am really, really not drinking enough.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rand alPaul posted:

I think there were jobs in the 1994. I might be for this. Rap was still good, too.
Everything was better back in the day! Young people were more involved and the music was good and had deep messages for society and everyone had better haircuts!

Y'all are officially old people.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
I don't have a particular article, but I recommend everybody read up about Utah's attempt to re-ban gay marriage. It's pretty hilarious. First it was forgetting to file a request for a stay, then it was three weeks of running about trying to figure out how to file anything (as the old AG resigned due to a corruption scandal), and now it's asking the courts if Utah can re-submit their legal argument because it's got almost a hundred spelling and grammar errors.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Everything was better back in the day! Young people were more involved and the music was good and had deep messages for society and everyone had better haircuts!

The jobs thing is true, though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The haircuts were stupid, but music was marginally better. No deep messages.

There were a couple years where people were genuinely big on recycling, that was cool. Then Bush came along and suddenly people did poo poo like dumping antifreeze into the storm drain BECAUSE ITS A FREE COUNTRY THAT'S WHY.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

The haircuts were stupid, but music was marginally better. No deep messages.

Please tell me you're joking.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SedanChair posted:

I dunno man, I'll take the grunge, rap and nu metal of the 90's over My Morning Jacket and the like any day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Sorry, Hybrid Theory was the start of a bad genre.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Talmonis posted:

I dunno man, I'll take the grunge, rap and nu metal of the 90's over My Morning Jacket and the like any day.

....Who? Is this a troll or honest to god did you just reference MMJ as popular and relevant new music in 2014. Man those Franz Ferdinand boys, they are really up and coming too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think he's comparing to the Bush years, where they would be relevant.

Contemporary pop music is pretty drat good actually.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Globally as well.

I mean, they are about to get WAY worse than we have seen in a long time in the next few decades when climate change kicks into overdrive, but right now violence, hunger, disease, and lack of clean water are at the lowest point they have ever been in world history.

Are you guys serious with this poo poo?

Please name a time outside of the 90's (and I hope you weren't gay) that were better then the here and now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I only listen to gregorian monk chants.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Jarmak posted:

Are you guys serious with this poo poo?

Please name a time outside of the 90's (and I hope you weren't gay) that were better then the here and now.

I think you misread that

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rand alPaul posted:

Umm... MF Doom and Killer Mike weren't on the scene. Dumile's brother was killed the year before, but Operation: Doomsday was still 5 years out.

You might want to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Probably just in the Democratic Primary but hey, maybe he'll force Clinton to pretend to be slightly less neoliberal for a month or two!

I live in California so I won't even get to do that since their primary is so late (even if I wanted to register as a Democrat) :shepicide:

yaleforks
Dec 2, 2007

Greensboro Montessori students quiz GOP candidates at forum. :stare:

http://www.news-record.com/news/article_6dcd6144-babb-11e3-9826-0017a43b2370.html

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Can we at least note that it looks strongly that even in North Carolina, there are kids who understand that the "tradition marriage" argument and the "Gay marriage leads to Bestiality" slippery slope argument is all bullshit? the fact that these candidates were drilled on these alone is a bit promising to me.

EDIT: Oh crap, they really said that we shouldn't punish businesses for loving things up (In response to Duke Energy dumping that toxic ash in the river systems) :fuckoff:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Students asked good questions, more proof of liberal indoctrination at our schools!

quote:

Asked what actions needed to be taken regarding the latest global climate change report recently released by the United Nations, former insurance agent Mike Causey cautioned that some of the articles written about climate change were written by “biased” people to make a political point.

“First, we need to find unbiased people with an objective viewpoint to look at this, and if there are issues, then we address them,” Causey said.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This should be a standard feature of any campaign. Get smart middle schoolers to ask the questions, and let them follow up. Old enough to know when they're being lied to, young enough to not care about holding their tongue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Outside of the News Record having an awful website, this article sums up NC pretty loving well.

"Mr. Candidate, we just had a devastating coal ash spill that is basically turning water sources into toxic wastelands. What do you think we should do? "

Accidents happen. Pull back the reins of the EPA who would fine Duke Energy.

:aaaaa:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Article posted:

Torres reiterated her support for gay marriage to Berger after the forum, and later said she was disturbed by his response.
“He talked about a man marrying a dog,” Torres said. “I found that really offensive, that he would compare gay marriage to something so offensive and outrageous.”
After the forum, many of the candidates said they were impressed with the level of maturity displayed by the students and the thoughtfulness of their questions.

Well poo poo, someone had to be.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh, I forgot one thing that tickles me a bit: Middle schoolers, who are abhorrent human beings, ask GOP candidates, who are abhorrent human beings, about real issues. The middle schoolers have an excuse such as hormones and still developing, but they come off looking so much better and thoughtful than the GOP candidates.

I guess this means that education is going to get another cut because the previous cuts still haven't killed critical thinking.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spiffster posted:

EDIT: Oh crap, they really said that we shouldn't punish businesses for loving things up (In response to Duke Energy dumping that toxic ash in the river systems) :fuckoff:

To be fair that is the state GOP's official position on the matter.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The invisible hand of the free market will just correct the situation when consumers use coal from a company that didn't spill toxic waste into the local water supply jeez isn't that enough?

Good on those kids though. They should be the proctors for every debate instead of the useless wastes of skin we get from "real" journalists.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Phone posted:

Oh, I forgot one thing that tickles me a bit: Middle schoolers, who are abhorrent human beings, ask GOP candidates, who are abhorrent human beings, about real issues. The middle schoolers have an excuse such as hormones and still developing, but they come off looking so much better and thoughtful than the GOP candidates.

I guess this means that education is going to get another cut because the previous cuts still haven't killed critical thinking.

They were Montessori kids though. The candidates would probably have fared better in gen pop. Well, maybe not in Greensboro proper.:v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

US Politics - Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys are nothing compared to Nerdcore.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

They were Montessori kids though. The candidates would probably have fared better in gen pop. Well, maybe not in Greensboro proper.:v:

Yeah I'm sure Glenn Beck is going to expose Montessori now. Sharing! Kindness! It's this kind of indoctrination that paves the way to PROGRESSIVISM :supaburn:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

FAUXTON posted:

US Politics - Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys are nothing compared to Nerdcore.

We're all American Idiots.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

Outside of the News Record having an awful website, this article sums up NC pretty loving well.

"Mr. Candidate, we just had a devastating coal ash spill that is basically turning water sources into toxic wastelands. What do you think we should do? "

Accidents happen. Pull back the reins of the EPA who would fine Duke Energy.

:aaaaa:

Because you see, they destroyed the water sources because they were sad about the possibility of being fined for destroying water sources. So when they destroy a water source, lower regulations, and they will of course never do such a thing again. That is how the free market works.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fried Chicken posted:

Wall Street: The DoJ has announced an investigation into the practices of High Frequency Trading. Michael Lewis has a new book out on this topic. The news coverage about HFT as a result of these two things has been met with eye rolling and stating it is old news by Wall Street, and shock by Main street. Which is pretty much why it is a problem.

I saw an article about this on Slate yesterday where, provided I'm reading it right, the guy says "This is a serious problem, but WELP! We can't have the regulators go from being ineffective to being too harsh as a knee-jerk reaction!"

Article is located: here.

Part of the Article posted:

The debate about whether these practices are benign or harmful to markets is entirely necessary. Personally, I think that the advantages enjoyed by some high-frequency traders are incompatible with fair and open markets and should be curtailed substantially—perhaps entirely.

But there is another danger here that is getting only minimal attention: that regulators, who once again are accused of being slow to respond and insufficiently vigilant, will go to the other extreme and attempt retroactively to criminalize behavior that it was fully aware of and did nothing to prevent until public opinion shifted.

As longtime market watcher Barry Ritholtz points out, none of the flurry of revelations has cast light on any dark secrets. The cozy and financially satisfying relationship between funds dedicated to high-frequency transaction and electronic exchanges that can execute trades in milliseconds has been going on for at least the past five years.

I just can't help but feel that this is a part of a problem right there. It's not that these groups are being secretive about what they are doing. It's that there's, by intent or by chance, effective suppression of any of this stuff coming out until it's far too late. The core of the problem here, that of a crippled and ineffectual regulatory system, still won't be addressed. Save of course for the usual nutjobs screaming that they should be removed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Warchicken posted:

Because you see, they destroyed the water sources because they were sad about the possibility of being fined for destroying water sources. So when they destroy a water source, lower regulations, and they will of course never do such a thing again. That is how the free market works.

Or you take the SC approach and ban lawsuits which might hold the company accountable because that would make them sad.

quote:

One way to require a cleanup is through a citizens lawsuit, a mechanism used to enforce environmental laws when state or federal agencies do not. South Carolina’s other major electric utilities, SCE&G and Santee Cooper, agreed to dig out coal ash ponds after settling citizens’ lawsuits filed by environmental groups.

But no suit has been filed against Duke in South Carolina, even though environmentalists have hinted that they are considering it. The company owns coal waste ponds at power plants in Darlington and Anderson counties.

Changing state law would eliminate the opportunity to sue Duke Energy under South Carolina’s pollution law, Smith said.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's really cool that in America, literally children ask tougher and more relevant questions than the entire professional newsmedia.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pig slut lisa posted:

I hadn't gotten to weigh in on foreskin chat yet

I guess you missed the cut off.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 3, 2014

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

zoux posted:

I think it's really cool that in America, literally children ask tougher and more relevant questions than the entire professional newsmedia.

I went to Montessori for ten years (pre-k through 8th grade) and I'm about a oval office-hair from being an actual communist. IS OBAMA INDOCTRINATING OUR YOUTH (in 1983)??? I'm just asking questions!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheKennedys posted:

I went to Montessori for ten years (pre-k through 8th grade) and I'm about a oval office-hair from being an actual communist. IS OBAMA INDOCTRINATING OUR YOUTH (in 1983)??? I'm just asking questions!

I went to an evangelical as gently caress private school that sent me to a 2 week camp course on "why evolution is wrong" but I ended up in the same place as you pretty much politically. So it can happen either way.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Setting aside the actual network of international finance means it would go straight to Russia and that we could do better things with that here in the US (bail out Detroit?), I for one question the wisdom of funding and arming Muslim militants in response to Russian border expansion. It does not have the greatest track record in the world.

What are you talking about? The Soviet Union collapsed (:eng99:), a great Aaron Sorkin movie, and all we had to do was leave swathes of the Middle East at the mercy of Al-Qaeda and the Taliban and let some skyscrapers get leveled :jihad:. I guess you could count those two wars as consequences, but I don't think anyone really knows why we did those.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

We're all American Idiots.

I miss the days when Green Day made good music. That would be before 96 for you youngins. :corsair:

Also, the first half of the 90's had Deathrow records in it's heyday which musically was loving magic on the level that the million dollar quartet recordings were in the 50's.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Any Republican who doubts climate change should only look at the rising costs of flood insurance, especially in coastal regions. That's the "free market" or whatever speaking loud and clear. You'd think they'd hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
re: Demographic shift chat from earlier on page 2

I see a lot of despair over the lack of action from the left and these millenials who are trending so much more in that direction, but isn't the reality that the rightward bent of politics over the course of our development has left us perpetually unmotivated to enact any change? Not to engage in generating a victim complex here, but all the awful regressive policies you hear about in this thread (largely enacted by the Republican party) are beating down entire generations of children, leaving them less and less educated and more and more in debt. And that's not even getting into the apparent futility of trying to legislate change; it's clearly not working if you watch congress try to do anything constructive. How do you really motivate people who seem so thoroughly beaten in general?

Mind you, I don't have any data to support this notion, but when you're crushed by mountains of unforgivable debt you mounted in response to the commandment from your preceding generations to get an education and find a job to pay off the mountains of debt you undoubtedly build when getting said education, it's pretty hard to do more than muster a little :argh: about "them politicians!" and go back to worrying about how you're going to pay the next bill and find the next meal. Multiply this by a few million, and well, you're all paying more attention than most...

• Locked thread