Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think he's comparing to the Bush years, where they would be relevant.

Contemporary pop music is pretty drat good actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A new independent study finds since September 5.4 million people who did not have insurance now have it. Thus study only goes through the beginning of March and DOES NOT include the surge of 3 million exchange sign-ups, also does not include medicaid or under 26ers.

Uninsurance dropped 2.7% in the five months between October and march. Another way to put that is a full 15% of uninsured got health insurance.

So, uh, democrats might actually wanna run on this if the next couple months go well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Swan Oat posted:

USA Politics April: Arguing about cockfighting somehow not a derail

But were the cocks circumcised?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Will seeing how Obama followed Clinton in 2001 and instituted the Iraq war and oversaw our intelligent agencies at the time, all the torture, which is bad now, is his fault.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fried Chicken posted:

Gallup has released a new poll on the ACA. Big news is the impact it is having on the number of uninsured - it is down 3.2 percentage points so far

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/7/5589814/more-evidence-obamacare-is-working-gallup-finds-number-of-us

Someone go ahead and drop a "it's working!" Gif here

It says the surveys were conducted Jan 2 through Mar 31. If those are evenly distributed among the dates then they might actually be underestimating the effects since there was a surge of 3 million + sign ups in the latter half of March and only a fraction of the interviews in that period. The same survey next month might be even better, perhaps significantly so.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We were driving down Vaughn road in Montgomery Alabama and noticed just a huge row of private schools founded all in 1954 and 1955. Were like "I wonder why all these schools opened around the same time?" Then were like "Oh! OOOOHHHHHHHH..."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I feel like I'm more fine with open carry than concealed carry. At least with open carry you know who to avoid.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

What's this guy's creds? I just like to check someone out when they completely agree with me to make sure they are actually qualified.

Welcome to not the Republican party. I think you just stated the exact definition.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well at least we got all that oil. We... we got the oil, right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fojar38 posted:

I refuse to defend the Iraq War but I think you'd have to be pretty ballsy to argue that removing Saddam Hussein from power wasn't an objectively good thing.

Well then I have balls the size of grapefruits. It was objectively bad. The country was more or less stable, had a decent middle class, and wasn't exactly high up on freedoms but it isn't any loving better now, now it's a lot more dangerous, a lot more poor, with hundreds of thousands dead for no loving reason. It's a god drat waste land with an ineffective governing power, sectarian violence and no hope. So yes, removing Saddam from power was a loving mistake.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No that's Cheney.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Who's behind Vox?

Calvin Klein I think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Won't that make her reelection more difficult with lower enthusiasm? What if a Republican won in 2016, extremely narrowly, enough that people could remember how lovely they are while Dems still manage to hold the senate til 2020 as a safety measure.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PostNouveau posted:

Nah she just kinda flinched. She's not a shoe-ducking phenom like Dubya.

To be fair the guy who threw the shoe at W telegraphed the gently caress out of it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Obama's pretty dumb asking for Sebellius resignation at this time. Now every headline is "Sebellius resigns over Obamacare troubles and website woes" when the website is working loving fine and they surpassed their sign up goals by over half a million and lowered the god drat uninsurance rate a ton.

But nope, media is back to "Obamacare had a bad website in October. Is failure." Weird how they remember back that far for healthcare.gov but forgot the government being shut down by Republican assholes for literally no god drat reason.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

joeburz posted:

Sebellius wasn't asked to resign.

Sebellius wasn't "asked" to resign. They never are. They all "choose" to resign.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If she did ask, Obama should have ripped up the request anyway and said "You can resign after we hold the senate"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Burwell may be a really good replacement. If anyone can convince the insurance industry it is in their best medium and long term fiscal interests to keep premium rates low for at least a year or two in order to hook more young people it would be an OMB fiscal wonk, and she'll be directly negotiating with them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BUSH 2112 posted:

Yes, even extreme generosity with anti-abortion people doesn't get you to a palatable position, unfortunately. I mean, gently caress, last week some right-winger claimed that people are people before conception.

Is this his way of saying "If you don't have sex with me that could be abortion"?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Onan's Law

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
drat it, this stuff is supposed to come out AFTER the primary.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I heard that was actually posted in FYAD though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Look, lowtax is a job creator.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

Once again, if anti-choicers were even slightly interested in reducing abortion, then opposition to birth control would be completely nonexistent. Instead they're making a supreme court case based on precisely that.

Apparently they are just opposed to IUD's and morning-after pills though because they never took a biology class. The guys at supreme court are OK with normal pills and condoms. Which is not to say there aren't plenty against those too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Spiffster posted:

Their belief in IUD's and Plan B is that "If you prevent a fertilized egg from implanting, it's baby murder" Yet many times when an egg is fertilized it fails for one reason or another to implant on the uterine wall to begin with. The stars and planets maybe didn't align or some poo poo. As George Carlin said Almost two decades ago "Basically, what these anti-abortion people are telling us is that any woman who’s had more than more than one period is a serial killer!"

Their other argument is the same line, just replace baby murder with "Playing God". Guess we don't need antibiotics, surgery, or anything life saving because we are obviously playing against Gods will! :bang:

And if you ever went to a midwest or southern Sex ed class in 8th grade, It is full of scare tactics (Photos and freak-worst case scenario stories), Religious propaganda, and sometimes outright lies. Of course people are confused about how things work or in a round about way of thinking that no birth control is better than having it, I have no idea how the coasts deal with it but it probably isn't much better

I gotta say I went to sex ed in public school in Alabama in 1996, it was completely normal and science based. They pushed abstinence just a little bit saying it was the only foolproof method, but talked about condoms and stuff and didn't tell lies about them not working

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

withak posted:

Illinois in ~1995-96 was pretty reasonable. We just got told to make sure that we could answer "abstinence" to the question "What is the only 100% reliable form of birth control?".

Should have answered "Gay or lesbian sex"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The worst thing you can do for your career if you are a party leader is win elections, apparently, given how fast Dean and Steele were fired after massive electoral victories.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
CBO just released a report showing the deficit is going to be reduced by Obamacare more than originally thought because premiums are so much lower than originally expected. In addition more people are going to be ensured than originally expected and premiums are going to rise very little next year (the average silver plan will go up about $100 a year)

Democrats need to stop running away from this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What kind of rear end in a top hat millionaire walks his return to the post office like some schmuck?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My wife earns more than me and has tenure. It rocks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wouldn't any earnings of a woman automatically count as the man's earnings in Schlafy land, where a wife is the property of her husband?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Whiskey Sours posted:

Your wife is going to leave you for a more desirable mate :biotruths:

Not with my superior health insurance.

Oh poo poo, obamacare made insurance more affordable. OBAMAAAAAAAAAA!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Officially over 8 million on exchanges now. Obama is smug as gently caress in his press conference, really getting some good lines in.

Called out States that didn't expand Medicaid as "no more than political spite"

Edit: And dumbledore was there also Bilbo baggins, there now maybe someone will read the actual political news post.

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 17, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What jerry Brown rocks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Good luck Toyota getting all your suppliers parts on demand and on time with Texas crumbling roads and infrastructure.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A Winner is Jew posted:

Obviously open. :v:

There's a ring of truth to this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cimber posted:

Kim Kardashian getting engaged to Kayne West?

Seriously, Kanye West could do sooooo much better.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I know this is from a couple pages back but I have to strongly disagree with this rationale. You can't justify bullshit by claiming it's based off of some rational points. He lost all credibility by calling Thomas a uncle tom. You can't defend him for that. He doesn't even apologize for calling him that.

You're not going to defend a politician for calling a mexican who crossed the border illegally a wetback because the the slur was based on illegal entry into the US by crossing the Rio Grande, are you?

Thomas is an uncle Tom. That congressman has read the book and loving knows what one is. He's not some loony idiot throwing around words he doesn't understand.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo the economic gains nearly 290,000 jobs last month, the previous two months were revised upwards 40,000, and the unemployment rate plummeted to 6.3%.

BENGHAZI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His many of the 800,000 leaving job force is because they got Obamacare so they don't have to stay in their job for health care anymore?

• Locked thread