Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Wolfsheim posted:

McDonald's is the go-to example of broken conservative thought.

Go to college so you don't work at McDonald's -> I went to college and there are no jobs -> What are you, too good for McDonald's? -> Okay, now I work at McDonald's and don't make enough money for food and shelter -> Why are you working at McDonald's, that jobs for teenagers! -> Start Over

Man, I hate it when conservatives think in this illogical manner. It's actually just one example of many of broken thought that comes from that ideological bloc. Shameful in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

Glad you're on board, teebp

One of my big pet peeves is illogical thinking - normally I can say hell, let it be. But when these people have real life power to affect the lives of others, I just can't really let it slide you know?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Masterful. :golfclap:

I've come around and gave some good thinking to the points raised in the previous iteration of this thread, and hell, I can feel my personal politics changing along with all the information that was available.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

Remember when the United Gamefowl Breeders Association said that Mitch McConnell would be "destroyed in Kentucky" because of a bill that criminalizes being a spectator at cockfights? Well, now his challenger Matt Bevin is speaking at rallies of the Gamefowl Defense Network, which I guess is another pro-cockfighting group in Kentucky because one wasn't enough.

Yes, true, it was about "state's rights", specifically the right to raise chickens for fighting, a right that's come under more fire this year than anyone would have guessed!

I can't get on board with this sort of cockfighting. To me, it's a bad thing, and the people that engage in it - hell, they're bad too. Can anyone give me any difference between that and dog-fighting (which I'm sure everyone involved in cockfighting demonized when Michael Vick did it (hm, wonder why :allears:)). Despicable practice, how is it continuing on in the year of our lord which is 2014.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Chard posted:

By this logic if we ate the dogs it would be totally ok to fight them.... is the GDN secretly supporting Obama?!?

Your making the mistake that they're using logic... as I've always said "you can't reason yourself out of a position you didn't reason yourself into". This is the "logic" that they're using.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

BUSH 2112 posted:

Am I a bad person for agreeing with him, here? What we do to commercial poultry is deplorable, is it really that big of a deal that people raise these animals to fight? And, really, they aren't dogs. Dogs have emotions that in many ways mirror humans, birds don't. I guess I don't really see why it matters in the grand scheme of things.

Making animals fight for gambling is bad.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

If we're going to continue disparaging the gambling habits of the poor, minorities and (especially) poor minorities, we should really have a separate thread so we can really feel morally superior to those cockfighting mudpeople.

:rolleyes: That's really what people don't like here, the poor minorities, not the insanity of forcing animals to kill one another to death

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

The argument is: if we already torture animals to death, what is the difference between torturing an animal to death for my amusement and torturing an animal to death for my amusement?

One is for sustenance.

Even if that doesn't phaze you for whatever reason, and we accept that both are morally bad, don't you think it's possible to work on both problems at the same time? Like, okay we can be against eating meat or whatever in your logic but the existence of that practice doesn't mean we have to be cool with making animals literally kill one another for gambling

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

It's time we get serious and recognize that race relations? Yeah, still a problem in the Year Of Our Lord 2014. So many people think, hell, because we've got a black president, everything is fine? Well have you SEEN some of the stuff the republicans have been saying lately? And don't get me started on the libertarians.. for my money, all this "free market" nonsense they love to talk about ("small government", too) is really just a front - for what, you ask? In my opinion, it's likely dog whistle for anti-minority race politics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-whistle_politics

Like the wikipedia article says, you don't win an election by saying "n*gger" anymore, but instead target things that disproportionately effect the blacks...... things like voter ID laws, and the like. It's a way to get black folks (especially in the south!!) to not vote. There are statistics that prove this. So for my money, when these Randian libertarian shitheels are standing up for this farmer Bundy, think about what they're REALLY saying.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Who What Now posted:

We laugh, but there are posters here in DnD itself that think this is a good idea.

Wow -- for me, guns don't actually make people more safe, they make people less safe. Don't believe me? Check the number of murders in other first world countries where they are illegal, and you'll see.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

He's saying essentially that by calling someone A racist, as opposed to racist, it is more likely you will compartmentalize the racism displayed by an individual as simply a reflection of that one person rather than the broader racist culture that exists.

I still don't get it - for example, he's racist, and I am not racist. That's okay, right?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Talmonis posted:

Mainly because a lot of folks can be salvaged. I accept my racism for what it is, and try to work past it. If I'm still worthy of hatred for it than :shrug:, but I think people can change if they make the effort.

As someone who grew up in a non-racist household, it is tough for me to accept people that are racist and in fact not hate them.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

down with slavery posted:

Humans are racist fyi

edit. All of them

Not sure I agree with this.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

You mean like during Occupy when they literally ran people down with their cars outside a Koch Brothers event in DC, or the Mercedes that did it in Oakland?

Which bankers were these?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

menino posted:

Do you even care what the answer is?

Yes I'd be interested in which firms have people murdering in an extraordinarily visible and media-worthy way.

forbidden lesbian posted:

I don't have anyone on ignore, for I have the ability to scroll.

You are a strong and admirable woman, forbidden lesbian.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

My boss was hand-wringing about Benghazi just before the election. I remember him getting frustrated and half yelling "IT WAS A 9/11 TERROR ATTACK!" over a discussion at lunch one day when I couldn't see why it wasn't just a small-ish tragedy of just a few more pointless deaths on the other side of the world.

Today (as in about two hours ago) we were at the same restaurant and the guy my boss is in some investment club with was smirking about how a memo from the day(night?) of got released under FOIA that outlined the White House's initial messaging strategy. I guess it's scandalous that they were going with the video riot story at first? Thankfully someone changed the subject before I get annoyed enough to tell him off for giving a poo poo about this crap.

They're both 60+ white men and watch Fox news, so there's your Benghazi follower demographic.

Republican dads who watch Fox News are always the worst. I know what you mean.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

zoux posted:

You'd think the Right would be a bit more understanding of intelligence lapses.

They're both unintelligent, and at the same time actually ignorant of that. Check this out : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

SedanChair posted:

tbp has officially Noticed that right-wing messaging is disingenuous. Be astonished at his incisive observations.

I know a lot of psychological effects that others might not - was just trying to help that poster out, or anyone that didn't know about the Dunning Kruger effect.

• Locked thread