Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BiggerBoat posted:

Any Republican who doubts climate change should only look at the rising costs of flood insurance, especially in coastal regions. That's the "free market" or whatever speaking loud and clear. You'd think they'd hear it.

Strictly speaking, all that proves is that the companies think enough customers believe in climate change that it warps their demand functions and allows the companies to charge more without losing customers. :colbert:

Of course, this assumes that the insurance market isn't competitive enough, and who would ever postulate that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JT Jag posted:

Honestly I think Thomas and Alito are both bigger problems than Scalia. Scalia catches a lot of heat for being a giant dick, but at least he thinks out his arguments. Meanwhile Thomas' jurisprudence hasn't evolved since the gilded age and Alito is one of the biggest partisan shills the court has ever seen.

On the plus side, nobody will ever agree with anything Thomas writes. The other justices might vote with him, sure, but he'll always have a separate concurrence discussing how banning company scrip is unconstitutional or something.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

RealClearPolitics has an average for the calendar year so far of Crist +4.5 points. Most of those polls are from January, but there hasn't been anything earth-shattering here since then to sway the numbers in a meaningful way.

It's worth noting that UF and Quinnipiac both ran polls in late January that had Crist up 7-8 points. Rick Scott is in trouble here and has been running TV ads since early March.

Oh no. :negative:

Hopefully Crist's Secretary of Transportation doesn't take the department in some alarming new direction.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

loquacius posted:

Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia are reading this post and laughing diabolically somewhere right now.

Clarence Thomas never laughs about legal matters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, the bathroom followup line is pretty funny.

The rest makes me hope he wins the primary.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GetWellGamers posted:

and for "Barack Obama And The Pirates Of Wichita"

Hang the gently caress on, that was us?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

comes along bort posted:

Unfortunately all the stock down at the unicorn farm was devoured by the Burmese pythons that got loose when Andrew came through back in '92.

Thanks, Obama.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

Incidentally I know a lot of law schools students who go to elite schools and swear up and down that the conservative justices never do anything like that and have totally reasonable and consistent judicial philosophies. I've heard more than one express admiration for Justices Scalia and Thomas. How can such smart people believe such stupid things?

This comes up a lot. Clarence Thomas is probably the most consistent justice on the court. (Scalia is... not.)

Thomas proceeds from incredibly strange logical premises and will never agree with anyone else's reasoning, but I can't really think of a time that he's compromised his jurisprudential principles. Certainly not on affirmative action, because his inclinations and jurisprudence are in agreement there: affirmative action and forcible desegregation are unconstitutional full stop, end of conversation.

Edit: actually I think he stopped short of saying Brown v Board was hogwash, and he does recognize some of the really extreme abuses, but that last line is milder hyperbole than it should be about a SCOTUS justice.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 18, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Edit: oh, I missed the post he was responding to, never mind me.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 25, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

Unless you're Jewish or Muslim.

And even then, if he was unaware of the fact at least it was well-intended.

(Doubt you'd be unaware of your political opponent's religious leanings, admittedly.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TMZ: America's finest news source. (As far as I know they're pretty reliable, but among other things need a graphic designer for their website immediately.)

At least she can be seen with Hispanics! He's progressive!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Joementum posted:

Klaxons currently blaring at full volume in Alex Jones' head.

...Is there a time that they're not?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I am hoping that Hindu group gets a statue of Ganesh installed, personally.

I mean, come on. He's the god of luck and entrepreneurship. Most pro-business mainstream deity in Hinduism. You'd think he would be exactly the symbol the Oklahoma GOP wants. Also, the elephant thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The-Mole posted:

A Kal statue would be incredible.

If you mean Kali, I'd be wholeheartedly behind that, even if we had to go with some fusion of the Goddess Of gently caress It poo poo Can't Possibly Get Worse popular among the Indian ultra-poor, and the portrayal by noted documentarian Indiana Jones.

Although really, it's not like you can tell the nerd background of the rationale from the statue most of the time anyway. Maybe add a tasteful plaque.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty much the only sane objection is the New Jersey thing. "The option to purchase smart guns will literally inevitably result in a legal change I consider unconstitutional" is considerably less flimsy than whining about how dare someone sell something morally equivalent to gun safes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Install Windows posted:

But you'd still be allowed, in New Jersey, to buy any of the million and a half or so (guesstimate based on the population of the state and rough amount of people who actually own guns) grandfathered guns in the state if you want to live in NJ and buy another gun, and you don't want a smart gun, at some point int he future.

Guess I didn't read closely enough!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You wouldn't put a safety on your penis.

Says you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Anyone else wishing we could turn this thread into a prison for fishmech and sedanchar?

They're not trapped in here with us. We're trapped in here with them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I'm sure, given the way public schools are funded, that it's possible for Texas to absolutely tank national rankings and still have a few good districts where the top quintile types live.

Texas actually reallocates money away from rich areas and toward poor ones. Not enough to make up the difference, but enough that it annoyed the parents at my insulated bubble college-town semi-affluent school district.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

People have already found ways to get around this, with it resulting in a huge education budget deficit for the state. I was amazingly surprised to find out that such a program even existed in Texas when I had to take a (mandatory) Texas history course as part of my undergraduate studies, but of course nothing good can last.

IIRC, the shortfall could've been covered with the Texas Education "rainy day" slush fund that the state keeps around, but it got used for useless transportation upgrades (the MOPAC 'improvement' project) and some of Perry's pet water reservoir projects.

:clint:

God loving drat it.

• Locked thread