Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I know NeoCons were really big into continental philosophy, but seeing the entire party adopt it is totally :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Edible Hat posted:

What are you talking about?

Creating reality through legislation. For example, the North Carolina bill were the rise in sea levels is legally mandated. It's been going on for a while, but it was mostly the NeoCons (people like Strauss) and the YECs. When Rove critiqued the "reality based community" saying, "That's not the way the world really works anymore. We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality ... we'll act again, creating other new realities... . We're history's actors ... and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do." But that wasn't the way that non-YEC TheoCons and Libertarians, much less establishment Republicans thought. They still thought they were acting within the confines of reality as opposed to standing over reality and creating it. But that sort of thought has become mainstream in the GOP and that's deeply scary. It's also why you end up with things like unskewed polls and the media bubble the Right is trapped in. The trend has been there for a while but since Obama took office we are on the other side of the singularity.

Re: Cockfighting

I don't really see what is so wrong with it. It is a brutal blood sport, sure. But is it really that much worse than factory farming? I used to go to cockfights when I lived in the Bronx. It was just a thing to do. I eat meat sourced from some pretty loving dark places so it's not like I've got a high horse to ride on.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

joeburz posted:

So what point of that slope do you accept harm coming to animals?

Treatment of farm animals for food --1-> animal fighting for entertainment --2-> Animal cruelty for absolute no reason other than psychological isues

While ethical treatment of farm animals is a very grey area, at least it's being done for sustenance rather than gambling or some sick sense of entertainment. We should aim to treat animals better during the farming cycle, but even harshly treated animals are at least trading life for life in a very direct sense, the difference labeled "1" seems far greater than "2" even in the worst farming cases. On a related note, dissection of animals for scientific studies is surely worlds more justified than just eviscerating animals you see walking down the street and far less reprehensible, which is a comparable analogy to farming vs fighting in my mind.

As someone who has done animal research, there is a huge amount of wasted life in that undertaking. Also a metric ton of suffering. Transplanting breast cancer cells into a mouse through rather invasive surgery and watching the tumor grow isn't nice. Sure, we do our best to keep the suffering to a "minimum" but it's still pretty crazy.

But once you've gotten used to killing animals and watching them suffer, you get inured to it pretty quickly. People freaking out about the treatment of animals, to me, is more about alienation from where our food comes from and how we are getting it. Saying that we need it to live isn't true. Our diet could be very easily changed to have much less meat. But we won't do that because we enjoy eating meat. Sustenance isn't what is driving factory farming. From a hedonic perspective, what is the difference between having an animal suffer and die so we can enjoy it as food and having an animal suffer and die so we can enjoy it as sport? It's "the only moral X is my X" all over again.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

joeburz posted:

Except one X is related to medicine or nutritional value while the other is related to gambling or animal MMA. I understand where you're coming from on the desensitization front but you're essentially arguing that the means are irrelevant if the end result is the same, from which I don't think taking an opposing stance requires moral gymnastics by any means.

But we don't eat meat at the rate we do because of nutritional concerns. In fact, we are eating so much more meat than we need that it is a detriment to our health! If we were truly eating meat for sustenance, I would agree with you. But we aren't, the primary reason for us to eat as much meat as we do is because we like meat. And that huge demand (driven not by nutrition but enjoyment) is what leads to things like factory farming and the deplorable conditions our livestock finds itself in. I do think that research and small-scale farming can be different -- but even there they often aren't. Look at mice in research facilities. While there is a movement to provide them with more enrichment, they are very much on the fringe. For the most part, these mice live lives in a small cage with a few littermates where the only break in the monotony of their lives is to be taken out of the cage and have invasive, painful surgeries or blood drawn from their eyeballs or (often toxic) chemicals injected into their veins. And that's if they aren't just killed because they are too expensive. Oh, and how they die? Well, they are supposed to be slowly exposed to CO2 but because training is lax in that area, I've seen plenty of mice get blasted full on with CO2. Instead of gently falling to sleep, they die in incredible agony. Have you ever gotten a lung-full of CO2? It is not pleasant at all.

I'm saying that we are sufficiently alienated from medical research and farming that we freak out when we are confronted with common, everyday violence. So we try and clean up a small problem that is "bad" and done by people that are "bad" while ignoring the broader systemic issues because that would be hard and would affect us, people who are "good".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Is there any possibility of prosecutions over this?

Mistakes were made but what is done is done. We should put this behind us and move forward. Why are you still bringing things up from the last administration? Is it just a cover for the incompetence of this administration? If we are even going to consider prosecuting patriots trying to defend America, shouldn't we first prosecute those responsible for Benghazi and Fast and Furious?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

quote:

Quinnipiac

The Right just won't shut up about Ted Kennedy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If we're going to continue disparaging the gambling habits of the poor, minorities and (especially) poor minorities, we should really have a separate thread so we can really feel morally superior to those cockfighting mudpeople.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Bro you don't get it, we EAT animals. No difference.

The argument is: if we already torture animals to death, what is the difference between torturing an animal to death for my amusement and torturing an animal to death for my amusement?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

JT Jag posted:

The one is a lot quicker than the other

One has a lot more benefits than the other. Prize cocks lead a pretty sweet life outside the ring. It's like bloodsports for humans, but with animals.

And that's assuming that "dying quick and early" is a better state than "dying slowly and older" is better. Even heavily anthropomorphized gerontological arguments don't make sense since these ain't old folks. They still die in their prime or after they've been put out to stud (which isn't a bad ending).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Swan Oat posted:

Thomas Jefferson definitely owned slaves and also probably might have been a cockfighting enthusiast. Now, which one of these is worse? Tell me! Therefore, cockfighting is good and we should allow it to continue. My name is Swan Oat and I approve this message.

If we are going to equate animals with people, as you have done, then shouldn't we be much, much more concerned with incredibly widespread abuses that affect millions of animals in the service of the financial elite and damned near every other American as opposed to incredibly small-scale abuses involving the poor, minorities and poor minorities?

It's a feel good move that targets the weak while giving us a sense of moral superiority. It's a "good thing" but it is being used to ignore far more serious problems.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

tbp posted:

One is for sustenance.

Even if that doesn't phaze you for whatever reason, and we accept that both are morally bad, don't you think it's possible to work on both problems at the same time? Like, okay we can be against eating meat or whatever in your logic but the existence of that practice doesn't mean we have to be cool with making animals literally kill one another for gambling

Except that it isn't for sustenance. They are both for enjoyment. What makes one form of enjoyment better than another?

And we could work against both problems but as others have pointed out, that is unfeasible. So the only reason we focus on one and not the other is cowardice. It makes us feel good while ignoring a much, much larger issue.

And that's the sort of smoke-and-mirrors that causes problems in the US. Rather than use our righteousness to fight the hard fight, we ignore the hard fight and use our righteousness to fight the easy fight. And then we pat ourselves on the back and call ourselves the good guys.

If comedy is funny when it punches up, politics is effective when it punches down. That should be a cause for concern.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

Tons of animals are eaten without being tortured, cockfighting is torture. QED.

If by "tons" you mean "such a small percentage that it effectively rounds down to zero" then yes, you are right.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

An Angry Bug posted:

One has the torment as an inherent part of it (the cockfighting). The other can be done much more humanely, and does not require the suffering (raising animals for food). Plus at some point in the future the latter can hopefully be replaced with giant vats of meat culture.

Except that it isn't. Who cares about potentiality? I'm talking about reality.

I mean, really? Argument from potentiality? Did D&D go pro-life all of a sudden?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

Congrats on being wrong I guess.

Yes, I am wrong:

When you take into account the fact that factory farms raise 99.9 percent of chickens for meat, 97 percent of laying hens, 99 percent of turkeys, 95 percent of pigs, and 78 percent of cattle currently sold in the United States, it's shocking how much time we waste debating each other, rather than trying to actually change the system.

source

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

Factory farms do not equal torture, check and mate.

So, it has come to this. We have left reality behind and have entered a new space entirely. :smuggo: We can dance if we want to, we can leave the facts behind :smuggo:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pope Guilty posted:

Can we maybe get a cockfighting and food torture thread instead of filling this thread with it?

I tried that already. The mass line said "no". Since creativity comes from the people and is for the people, it behooves us to adhere to the mass line.

Long Live Chairman Mao.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

That some do it does not mean all do it. His stupid argument relies on all of them always doing it (not to mention that factory farm is a vaguely defined slur term at best).

*citation needed*

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

You're the one who needs to provide citations buddy!

The "naw-ah!" defense is not recognized in most countries.

I cited a HuffPo article and then Ginsburg cited Rolling Stone. Both pop sources, I'll admit. But that is more than your "nothing aside from bold assertion".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Tinted Windows,

Re-read my posts. I'm not claiming anything as an "always" position. Just a vast majority, which I have supported. But good job, Peyton Strawmanning, you uncovered the case!

Paragon,

Did I stumble into Freep where asserting that privilege influences how we relate to issues automatically means I'm calling everyone a virulent racist?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SavageBastard posted:

You're crazy if you think there is a partisan divide on this issue. Compensation at my company is fairly messed up right now because of several years of financial hardship and the rapid turnover of 3 HR heads. As a result, I work with many people with the exact same amount of job experience as me who have worked at my company for a much shorter period of time and make more money than I do. It's not a colossal amount more, but it's not insignificant. I won't get a performance raise this year because of budget issues but if I left the company and came back after 3 months I would make more money because I would be compensated based on my experience. And no, I can't simply ask my boss for a raise because compensation is managed by HR. The idea that someone in my situation would gripe based on my personal politics is absurd.

You are actively interviewing for another job, right? That is the only recourse you have in a situation like that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Hell, "Black Panthers" remains a boogeyman for rightwing racists to this day. Why? Because they are terrified of an educated and armed black man.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm really looking forward to the Constitutional crisis that happens during Hillary's term when three justices on the Supreme Court need to be replaced and the Republicans keep stalling each and every single one.

Unstack the court!

Edit:

Originalism!

Edit 2:

Also, why didn't "Got Mittens?" become a huge loving meme during the Romney campaign? I really feel like we missed out on a great opportunity there.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 8, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Fried Chicken posted:

Senate Intelligence Committee released a cropped (480 pages out of 6600, the executive summary + 20 conclusions and lessons learned) report on the CIA's torture program. Lots of new details on the black sites and the methods.

I disagree with that article calling the Red Hot Chili Peppers torture. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are awesome :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfv_5Dyb1k&feature=kp

Possible 9/11 reference put out by the Illuminati?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://www.beepboopbitcoin.com/

A fun game.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

gradenko_2000 posted:

The first one doesn't count because the girl doesn't know that she's capable of making babies until she has the first one, by which point it's too late?

That's what child brides are for: menstruation, not even once!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Happy Birthday Lenin. Why is Obama celebrating Communism?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've really been enjoying this cycle of renewal. During the Healthcare debate, Nixon was rehabilitated as a sort of pro-reform icon. "The last left-wing President" and all that, I mean, look at the EPA! And people were dumb enough to get behind it too. Lots of people lamenting, lamenting that loving Richard Mi(l)hous(e) Nixon was our last truly left-wing President.

During Obama's Presidency there has also been a savvy navigation between the lines of "President Who? Let's look at the Senate!" and "Take responsibility, you can't keep blaming the past administration for your failures like TARP!" And now as Obama's Presidency's sun sets, it is time to remember GWB as the Decider he was, the great man! And how dare you question that?

You know, "first as tragedy/then as farce", "capitalism has a way of accelerating itself" and all the other jargon we've come to expect but drat if GWB's rehabilitation didn't come early.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
While pendantic, I think it can be a useful distinction in some cases. For example, I grew up in a racist society, so I occasionally have unbidden racist thoughts. I know those thoughts are wrong and I do my best to dismiss them. I do not consider myself a racist, although I recognize that occasionally I have racist thoughts. Bundy, on the other hand, is a racist. I don't have a problem calling him that. He grew up in a racist society and embraces those values. That makes him a racist.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Captain_Maclaine posted:

So let me go into Columbo mode here for a moment and ask you to explain this for me, 'cause I'm just not seeing it.

You are taking his quote out of context.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Really though, how do I get in on this game? It seems so easy, I just need connections. How do I cultivate those connections?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Why is a weakness in export markets a reason for stocks to go up?

Because it was accurately predicted.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How about Confucian pillars? Just a big fat monolith with a whole bunch of Chinese names on it? Make it the Jinshi from 1890 when Oklahoma became a state. Bunch of right wingers would love a bunch of Chinese in their capital, right? Plus it would be super easy to get a bunch of Chinese Nationalists behind it. All you need is one patriotic multi-billionaire and we could have one in every US capitol!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I can't wait for Republicans to try and subpoena Goons and players from EVE to discover what really happened on 9/11.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Someone who spoke with Vilerat that day should touch the poop and contact Issa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's the same thing they did with Clinton: keep throwing poo poo until something sticks. The Obama Administration has been remarkably clean so coming up with scandals has been surprisingly difficult. Since Obama scandals have to do double duty serving as both red meat and dog whistles (similar, but slightly different concepts) the absence of them has been all the more frustrating. But Benghazi is a perfect fusion of all the right wing talking points. You've got dead Americans, a nice Carter comparison, Muslims, weak on foreign policy, Africa . . . there is just so much there. The fact that there is no "there there" is simply unbelievable given that all the other pieces are there. So just keep on beating that drum!

But while Benghazi is the most recent one, it's not like it is novel. ACORN and Fast & Furious were the big talking points before it. Equally vacuous but served their target demographics well.

• Locked thread