Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Apparently, the US created and implemented a fake twitter-esque service to foment rebellion in Cuba against Castro and they did it under the guise of "humanitarian outreach" via the USAID. In the big scheme of things this isn't surprising in the least, it's hilarious in a really hosed up way. I mean, this is the stuff conspiracy theorists dream of, something out of a Tom Clancy novel.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/03/the_secret_is_out_u_s_built_cuban_twitter_to_stir_up_political_unrest/
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/3/5577254/us-created-cuban-twitter-to-fuel-anti-castro-dissidence-ap
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26872866

I'm not sure whether this is hilarious or terrifying. If there was a trojan horse fake-Twitter in Cuba then Castro would fall! :bahgawd:

It makes USAID look really, really bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Talmonis posted:

I have to wonder if the alphabet agencies don't do this poo poo just to justify their budgets. Spend a few million loving around with vaguely defined "enemies", ruining our reputation abroad, creating more enemies. Rinse and repeat. Or is it that I'm just far too cynical?

I think the most absurd part of it is that it was directed at Cuba of all places.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah that's big news.

Washington Post posted:

In an interview, [Senator] King said the document convinced him that what the CIA had done was torture. “I don’t have any doubts on that fact,” King said. “It’s a pretty hard read. It’s very disappointing.”

The report, based on a review of millions of internal CIA records, found scant evidence that the use of so-called “enhanced” interrogation techniques generated meaningful intelligence. It accuses CIA officials of overstating the significance of alleged terrorist plots and prisoners, and exaggerating the effectiveness of the program by claiming credit for information surrendered by detainees before they were subjected to duress.

For years, the agency made inaccurate statements to the president, the National Security Council and the Congress, King said. “That’s one of the most disturbing parts of this — the institutional failure.”

This is going to be worse than we all thought isn't it? :ohdear:

Lying to Congress/the President takes this to a whole new level.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 3, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Chris Christie posted:

These aren't going anywhere no matter what happens, and there is zero chance the Republican hold the Senate in the 2016 elections if they are the majority following this fall's elections.

Also PPACA itself isn't going away. It may be tweaked and improved, but that's it. "Obamacare" is a pretty misleading label. It's a conservative think-tank idea through and through. When Obama is no longer POTUS, very few are going to spend their time decrying it. Republicans aren't going to reverse course and stop funneling barrels of cash to insurance corporations if they get power, and they don't need the "OBAMACARE" rallying cry anymore if they take power.

The GOP has run on turning Medicare into a voucher system and they tried privatizing social security. Nothing is safe at this point.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mineaiki posted:

The article says he's dropping the character. It's going to be interesting to see how people respond to the real Stephen Colbert every night.

It'll probably end conservatives screaming that Colbert isn't a parody he really is saying all that stuff and is meta-trolling liberals or whatever the hell their argument was.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

greatn posted:

Won't that make her reelection more difficult with lower enthusiasm? What if a Republican won in 2016, extremely narrowly, enough that people could remember how lovely they are while Dems still manage to hold the senate til 2020 as a safety measure.

The GOP almost caused a debt default for fun and shut down the government for nearly a month and everyone has already forgotten about it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Cross-quoting from the 2014 thread. Dems in the south are...improving?

Alter Ego posted:

In strange news, southern Democrats seem to be...improving in the polls?

quote:

A round of new polls conducted by The New York Times and Kaiser Family Foundation have some good (and surprising) news for a handful of Southern Senate Democrats regarded as the most vulnerable in the 2014 election cycle.

The polls, released Wednesday, found Sen. Mark Pryor (D-AR) leading Rep. Tom Cotton (R-AR) 46 percent to 36 percent. In Kentucky, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) just barely leads Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes (D) 44 percent to 43 percent, the poll found.

Meanwhile, in North Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan (D-NC) is neck-and-neck with House Speaker Thom Tillis (R-NC) in a hypothetical matchup with Hagan getting 42 percent while Tillis gets 40 percent.

Lastly, Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA) has a commanding lead over Rep. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) and the rest of the field in the Louisiana Senate race. That finding deserves a caveat: Louisiana's primary system is something called a "jungle primary" where there is no Republican or Democratic primary. Instead all candidates run together and if no candidate gets 50 percent of the vote, the top two candidates face each other in a runoff election. The poll found Landrieu with 42 percent followed by Cassidy with 18 percent. No other candidate managed to get double digits.

I bolded that first one because it was so very surprising. Pryor may be a massive DINO, but he was projected to lose his seat by crushing margins. Also, Mary Landrieu has decided she's going to run TOWARDS Obamacare in Louisiana rather than away from it.

The Governor of KY (a Democrat) has a +27 approval rating according to this and the Landrieu numbers are completely mind-boggling. :wow:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wow. They really, really, really want another Waco. Armed checkpoints are something the Feds can't really ignore.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The thread in SAS just copy/pasted a tweet indicating that had the NBAPA not been happy with Silver's ruling, there would've been a boycott of tonight's game.

I cannot believe that almost just happened.

edit: tweet in question

Dan Woike ‏@DanWoikeSports 11m
Had NBPA been unhappy with ruling, players would've boycotted tonight's playoff games.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

^^^^^Every once in a great while there is a positive bit of labor news like this and it fills my black heart with joy.

Woah, no wonder they crushed him. If the players are willing to boycott a playoff game, and will be supported by everyone when they do so, the NBA has no other options.

Yeah I'm assuming Chris Paul (head of the union) let Silver know what their decision was prior to his press conference. This is also probably why every single NBA owner is in the process of indicating they'll vote to force a sale. I know I saw a tweet from Mark Cuban and the owner of the Bulls. I'm sure more are coming in the next few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not speculation. It was confirmed by every member of the Warriors who the Clippers are currently playing against in the playoffs that they planned to go through warm-ups, the anthem, and then at tip-off just walk off court in protest if they weren't satisfied with how Silver reacted to the situation. It was rumored that every other team playing that night would do the same thing, but it's only been confirmed that one team would absolutely follow through with it.

Had this actually happened it would probably be the most iconic and talked about moment in sports in the last century.

• Locked thread