Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
This is a CK2 groups Let's Play, focusing on interaction with multiple players. In order to participate you will need to have CK2 with the expansions The Old Gods due to our playing of a Jewish state.

If you are unfamiliar with the world of Crusader Kings II, I recommend you read this thread, as it is designed for players that are new to the game.

Otherwise, welcome to what is sure to be a fun, if crazy group gaming experience.

This is a succession LP, this means that one person will play for a time, the life of a ruler, and then upload the save file for the next person to play and so on. Only there is a catch. In this game each ruler is allowed to make a LAW that is added to the list of laws in the second post. Each Law is sacrosanct unless an earlier law contradicts it in some way.

Players are encouraged to play their character based on the traits that they have, meaning if you've got zealous, you'll be a lot more likely to start holy wars than if you're slothful.

If you're interested in playing then make a post that says ##Add me to the list and you'll be placed at the end of the list of current pool of players. When a monarch dies the next player on the list has 2 days to post that they've taken the save, otherwise it goes to the next player on the list who has 2 days, etc. When someone finishes their playthrough, unless they specify otherwise they'll be added to the end of the list. If someone comes in late, I'll add them to the list in front of all of the people that have already gotten a chance to play. If you miss your turn you'll simply be removed from the list until you post that you're back.

In order to make things fun, I'm going to ask for recommendations for a few starting Laws that we will all have to abide by, so that those of us in the beginning have a chance to play around with limitations just like the rest of you.

We will be playing the state of Khazar, the only independent Jewish state at the Old Gods starts, and I hope to god that I don't end up ruining the playthrough by losing before the first death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Current Laws
  • The Flow of Time - No savescumming. Play as if the game were an ironman game unless you have no heirs, then save often so that when you die we can pick up the game from a new character.
  • Stoy Telling - Interesting story always wins out over optimal play.
  • Honoring Your Ancestors - During your reign you must rename a provence/duchy/kingdom in honor of the players before you. If you do not have the customization DLC, PM Amnistar and he will update the save appropriately and then hand it off to you.
  • The Black Merchants - The Duchy of Crimea shall always be a merchant republic either under our direct control or independent.
  • Insertname Delenda Est - Any nation which takes a province from us must be destroyed eventually. Enemies:
    • Crimea
    • Byantine Empire
    • Hungary
    • Seljuk
  • Holy, Holy, Holy - Judaism will never be respected until we can show tangible proof of the favor of the Almighty. Taking a Holy Site must be the highest priority of future Khans.
  • In Due Time Their Foot Will Slip - Finish this war, but after that ignore Cumania until their current Khan dies.
  • Family Business - All future Khagans must have at least one close family member (mother/sister/brother/son/daughter) on their council, regardless of stats. This will promote cooperation among the Bulanid line.
  • The Frontier Khaganates - Zion's military capacity is hampered by its vast expanses. Better delegation of troop mustering will solve this problem, so the Khanates of Cumania, Turkestan, Volga Bulgaria, and Perm must be held by vassals.
  • All roads lead to home - All new conquests must have a land connection to our capital.
  • I Vote Neigh - Horses must always play an integral part of our society, our military must always be comprised of a majority (more than 80%) of horse units. Pro-Horse referendums and upgrades should be prioritized over any other upgrades. Damascus' holy temple of Glitterhoof must remain named as-is.
  • Prison Industrial Complex - Prisoners cannot be released or ransomed.
  • Bastards and Gays be gone! - Kill off or imprison any Homosexuals or Bastards (legit or otherwise) in your family.
  • Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel - Rulers may enjoy the little things in life in breaks between fulfilling laws.

Current Waiting List
  • Veloxyll
  • JGBeagle
  • NeoAnjou
  • stevetheblack
  • Zoinker
  • Mountaineer
  • warhammer651
  • Jolan
  • QuoProQuid
  • Amnistar (1)
  • AJ_Impy (1)
  • CapnAndy (1)
  • ulmont (1)
  • Funky Valentine (1)
  • Blackunknown (1)
  • beefart (1)
  • MagusofStars (1)
  • Technowolf (1)
  • ForeverBWFC (1)
  • SeaTard (1)
  • Jenner (1)
  • Duckbag (1)
  • Geokinesis (1)
  • MegaZeroX (1)
  • lurksion (1)
  • Jimmy4400nav (1)
  • Supeerme (1)
  • Vander (1)
  • Readingaccount (1)
  • The Lord of Hats (1)

Current Ruler
    Basileus Ioannikios I of Israel - Veloxyll

Previous Rulers
Khan Manasseh II the Just of Khazaria - Amnistar : 1 January, 867 - 29 January, 897

Khan Manasseh III the Dragon of Khazaria - AJ_Impy : 29 January, 897 - 3 November, 942

Khan Yerneslu I the Careless of Khazaria - CapnAndy : 3 November 942 - 27 July 966
State of the World - The World in 966

Khan Tabghaç I the Wise of Khazaria - ulmont : 27 July 966 - 23 January 985

Khagan Mänär I the Pious of Zion - Funky Valentine : 23 January 985 - 28 September 996

Khagan Mënümarót I the Great of Zion - Blackunknown/Beefhart : 28 September 996 - 16 December 1048

Khagan Mänär II the Wise of Zion - MagusofStars / Technowolf : 16 December 1048 - 1 August 1072

Khagan Sartäç I the Mad of Zion - Jenner : 1 August 1072 - 18 March 1094

Basileus Aryeh I the Great of Israel - Geokinesis : 18 March 1094 - 13 September 1148

Basileus Meletios I the Fat of Israel - Supeerme : 13 September 1148 - 8 December 1175

Basileus Pelagios I the Pious of Israel - Readingaccount : 8 December 1175 - 19 April 1204
[list][*]Part 1
[*]Part 2
[*]Part 3
[*]Part 4
[*]Part 5
[*]Part 6
[*]Part 7
[*]Part 8
[*]Part 9

Amnistar fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 13, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
##Add me to the list.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

The Current State of our Country:

I shall begin play as Khan Manasseh II of Khazaria. A slothful, content King happy with his realm and sure that his life is in a good position.

I have a group of faithful advisors, some of whom dislike me but that's fine, not a big deal, and it would be too much work to replace them anyway.

Right now I'm just chillin out with my army outside the capital.

A nice stack of cash is saved up, for whatever. Nothing really seems neccessary to spend it on right now.

The laws in place ensure my only child stands to inheret everything.

And we may not be the most technologically advanced group out there, but that is okay.

In the event that war breaks out, my vassals and I can raise a small force.

Judiasm has seen better days though...

So, that's the current state of the world, I'll be playing the appathetic kind of our realm to start with. And to make things interesting I'd like to get 3 laws in place to ensure that it isn't simply just a boring game. If you have a law you want, suggest it, or back others. I'll grab the ones that get the most support and/or seem the most interesting.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Manasseh is a name of ill omen that does not bode well.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Patter Song posted:

Manasseh is a name of ill omen that does not bode well.

Considering I've attempting to Jewish start multiple times and have never been able to avoid being destroyed by the combination of Tengri and Muslim invasions...I don't know that this LP will do well. Of course, as a Content and Slothful ruler, I don't see Manasseh attempting to expand the borders of his realm much.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The name Manasseh is usually related to either A. one of the twelve tribes, one of the most powerful of the northern tribes that joined in Jeroboam's revolt against Jerusalem and the Davidic line, forming the half-pagan and reviled Northern Kingdom of Israel, and B. King Manasseh of the Southern Kingdom of Judah, the idolatrous son of righteous old King Hezekiah, who undid all his father's works and promoted paganism throughout Judah during his half-century reign. Either way, it's a name that carries implications of susceptibility to paganism and idolatry and suspect commitment to Judaism.

This will be fun! :v:

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Patter Song posted:

The name Manasseh is usually related to either A. one of the twelve tribes, one of the most powerful of the northern tribes that joined in Jeroboam's revolt against Jerusalem and the Davidic line, forming the half-pagan and reviled Northern Kingdom of Israel, and B. King Manasseh of the Southern Kingdom of Judah, the idolatrous son of righteous old King Hezekiah, who undid all his father's works and promoted paganism throughout Judah during his half-century reign. Either way, it's a name that carries implications of susceptibility to paganism and idolatry and suspect commitment to Judaism.

This will be fun! :v:

You gonna sign up Patter Song? Also, suggestions for some starter Laws?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've been neglecting my own thread for too long (going to finally update later today), and I want to finish that off before taking on other LP commitments.

A rule banning those in the line of succession from marrying outside of proper Judaism (IE no non-Jews or heretical Karaites) could be good, but it might be too early for something that...absolute.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh, so very ##Add me to the list

I will give you fools an Empire. So that it'll be funnier when the next guy ruins everything :)

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

My personal idea for a good starter rule that might limit expansion some would be no holy wars unless you have an unlanded member of your dynasty to give the taken land to.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Are you using 2.04, or Rajahs of India and all the attendant screwups? Either way, ##Add me to the list

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

ulmont posted:

Are you using 2.04, or Rajahs of India and all the attendant screwups? Either way, ##Add me to the list

I have all the DLC installed, and am playing on the latest patch. I do not think that anyone picking up the save needs anything other than Old Gods though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

This is the Jewish start. Believe me, there will be plenty of opportunity to get Holy Warred

also, ##Add me to the list

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Amnistar posted:

I have all the DLC installed, and am playing on the latest patch. I do not think that anyone picking up the save needs anything other than Old Gods though.

Probably need Sons of Abraham as well in order to play as Jews.

##Add me to the list

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

##Add me to the list

Sign me up, I want to see us crash headfirst into Arpad and his ilk.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

If this is on the Rajas of India map, Cumania will just as likely crash into us!

They can be kind of a jerk like that.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

## Add me to the list
This is gonna be good.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
##Add me to the list
This looks like it will be interesting.

Edit: Jesus you got kind of a lovely roll for Menasseh's stats. Good luck!

Double edit: might want to mention that you'll definitely need Sons of Abraham to play as a Jew and if you're using the new map IIRC you'll need Rajas as well.

beefart fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 4, 2014

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

## Add me to the list

As for Laws, how about the rule that we are not allowed to act directly against anyone of our dynasty or married to someone of our dynasty (irrespective of type of marriage). Regardless if they're in our country, married to a foreign ruler, independent, whatever, you don't go against family. No plots, no war, no assassination, zip. If *they* act against us, then the gloves come off and we can answer in kind, but we are a family of honor and will not strike the first blow against another family member. :smug:

Also, I can't remember if it's part of the customization pack DLC (in which case, it'd be up to the thread whether they want to or not for those that don't have it), but we could also do an unofficial rule wherein each ruler renames one title after themselves upon their ruler's death. That area that your ruler spent his entire life forging claims and fighting bitter wars over? It shall forever be known as the Duchy of Amnistar.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Veloxyll posted:

If this is on the Rajas of India map, Cumania will just as likely crash into us!

They can be kind of a jerk like that.

It is the RoI map - you can see Perm's new Siberian neighbor.

Let us spread Judaism to the vast lands of Ind! And then spend the next five or so rulers stomping constant religious revolts.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
I'd like you to ##Add me to the list, but with the caveat that If my turn comes up before may 9th then I be pushed back in favour of the next in line due to impending finals.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

## Add me to the list

I did a fairly successful Khazaria->Israel run a little while ago, so I probably won't screw this up.

Edit: If this is post-RoI, then there should be a second Jewish state in east Africa, so we aren't totally alone. Just mostly alone.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

We'll be alone once the Islam train rolls up the other jewish state.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
##Add me to the list.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

##Add me to the list

I've never done one of these, so it can only end poorly.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Alright I've started playing, the game is going rather well actually, save for a slight problem that I think I need to work out how to fix. That is...i have no dynasty heir, so if we game over, what do we want to do? Continue from last autosave, playing as the new dynasty?

Also, do you need Rajah for the new map? Or was that released to everyone with the latest patch, because if you need it, that would then be a requirement.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Amnistar posted:

Alright I've started playing, the game is going rather well actually, save for a slight problem that I think I need to work out how to fix. That is...i have no dynasty heir, so if we game over, what do we want to do? Continue from last autosave, playing as the new dynasty?

Also, do you need Rajah for the new map? Or was that released to everyone with the latest patch, because if you need it, that would then be a requirement.

Everyone got the new map.

As for a game over, I'd say either restart, or try one of the other crazy starts, like Socotra.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Rajas should only be needed if we wanted to play as an Indian.

e;f,b

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
##Add me to the list.

I am a horrible newbie who is trying to figure out how to play the game and I will completely destroy this whole thing. Vote for me.

JGBeagle posted:

Rajas should only be needed if we wanted to play as an Indian.

e;f,b

AFAIK, Rajas is still bugged.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Jenner posted:

AFAIK, Rajas is still bugged.

Not that the actual DLC matters, since it's the patch that's bugged.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

##Add me to the list

Definitely just start as some other dynasty if you get a game over. In fact, we could do that even without a game over. There's no reason we have to stay in a direct line. We could easily just up and play as a vassal, younger son, neighbor or whatever if the original dynasty looks to be getting too boring.

As for laws, I think it's important we keep things from getting too restrictive early on. We might need to keep our options open to survive the first few years.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If we want a restriction, how about getting Crown Authority to Absolute as soon as possible, and keeping it there? It'll piss all our vassals off, making the game a bit more interesting. But it'll also give us a ton of levies, which is always a good thing.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

The death of our first leader occured in 897 A.D. I am putting together the update now, and thinking about what I want my law to be. We have more territory than when we started.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Amnistar posted:

The death of our first leader occured in 897 A.D. I am putting together the update now, and thinking about what I want my law to be. We have more territory than when we started.

This may not be applicable yet, but I think a good one for some future ruler might be:

One of our AI vassals has been a heroic ally, helping time and time again and proving to be nothing but loyal. The (roleplaying) player could grant him a nice duchy as a reward and make his law "the descendants of X shall now and forever be the Dukes of Y," causing problems down the line when the great-grandson of our bro proves to be a rebellious, conspiratorial prick.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SeaTard posted:

If we want a restriction, how about getting Crown Authority to Absolute as soon as possible, and keeping it there? It'll piss all our vassals off, making the game a bit more interesting. But it'll also give us a ton of levies, which is always a good thing.

As somebody who is currently playing a game within a HRE that is stuck at Absolute for over a century now with not a single revolt, I'm not sure if that law is more of a boon than it is a hindrance, and in the end, these laws should be designed to be hindrances - minor ones, maybe, but hindrances nonetheless.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Always be Gavelkind. Or elective.

My rule will see the rumours of the pretty borders faction finally and ultimately put into the past.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Grant land to characters of the Israeli culture group outside of Khazaria when possible. (Dumb law, but reverse diaspora)

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Law Proposal: Wounded or Maimed characters cannot lead armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

First, I have decided that I must better myself in some way. I've been enjoying spending time outdoors laying around with my army outside the castle. Mayhaps I would enjoy such a life.

I send my son to one my more ambitious vassals. Let him handle the boy, I am enjoying my time outdoors.

One of my subjects is not Jewish, so I sent my Court Rabbi to deal with him. My Spymaster is sent to the city of Constantinople, they seem to have kept alive many of the scholastic traditions of Rome, a bathhouse would be quite nice. My steward is sent to oversee the construction in the capital, while I invite my marshall out to enjoy drinks with me and the army. To keep the peace I send my Chancellor out to keep my Steward from rebelling.

While lounging my Marshal mentions that He is the Duke of Sarkel and yet the county of Sarkel is not under his control, but under mine. To make him happy I agree to let him take control of the Duchy.

I receive word that Khan Sol of the Pecheng's has declared war upon Khan Sokal of Comania, which means the greatest external threat to our empire is busy.

I do what any intellegent man would do in a time like this.

I command my men to build me another castle. And start clearing out the pests that have moved into what should be my second castle.

I also upgrade my current castle to expand the town outside. Most places for me to relax.

Then begin the Passover celebration.

Someone spills the beans about the plan to empty my second castle.

Multiple Someones.

I eventually clear out the pest, only to find out that he multiplied!

Cleaning is much to hard work for me. I think a trip to the south is in order. I give the order to the army to march south, I think they misunderstood for when we arrive the start killing the locals.

When I return, my new castle is finished and my second castle is emptied. I spend some pocket money to build them up, who knows when I would like to vacation to them.

Of course, the Pecheng's up north have lost their war and now are turning their aggression to us. No matter, I wave my army to deal with the threat.

I am informed that the army is still busy at my vacation home to the south, but they have finished up and are heading north as we speak.

And that I now have new lands I need to administer. Well, the best leaders know how to do one thing. Delegate. And I have heard wonderful things about the delegation powers of these Merchant Families, so I decide to try and set one up myself.

But it seems that the Caspian Sea isn't quite the same as the Mediteranian, and the man I assign doesn't take my advice.

The army reaches the battle to the north and I ride my horse up to watch. One of the enemy archers spots me and sends an arrow my way. I don't quite recall what happened next save that our army was victorious, theirs was dead and my sword was covered in blood.

After that the war passed in a blur of battles, and I found I quite enjoyed being in the fray. My spymaster returned with some ideas from the Greeks and I order their implimentation immediately.

My magnificant capital has convinced Duke Itaz that Yahweh does favor me, and he wants to get in on the action. I have my Rabbi fill him in on what it means to be Jewish.

With that settle I celebrate Passover again, with a slightly different group of subjects.

During the Peace I build up my capital some more, this will be the jewel of the world, I know it.

My thirst for blood continues however, and a small group of settlements that follow some pagan religion exists to the west. My army and I head west and begin out conquest.

My son comes of age and I have him administer my new territories. I forsee great things from him, and he shall need to start learning to rule early. Perhaps a duchy for him.

I declare war on every single nation within the duchy of Crimea, I shall give my Son the entire realm. then HE can deal with the pagans.

The sneak around to the south while I am busy. But no matter, I shall defeat them eventually.

I create the duchy and attempt to give it to my son, but then realize that I am under gavelkind and can't give him anything else. I feel a little stupid. So I decide to try to make another merchant republic, after finsihgin this war.

God drat heathens. No idea how they survive in this wasteland.

I refuse to be technologically backward like they are, more research!

I inheret some land south of Crimea, quickly redistribute it to new dukes and continue with the war.

I end my war, and attempt to set-up a merchant republic for a second time.

Success! Except...He didn't actually get any territory. DAMNIT.
Seriously wtf CK2, GAH.

To say thanks to my vassals, I declare a war against the Pechengs to recover some of their territory, it goes very well.

And then my son dies.

Damnit.

• Locked thread